Updates to the Desktop Controller Coming Soon


Show first post

596 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
This seems like a decision to make Sonos's life easier, not mine, hey i'm only the customer...

When things get complex I would always reach for the desktop controller on a big screen with a keyboard and a mouse, yet all those tasks look like they will be removed. Now i'll fumble around on a tiny touch screen.

This restructuring of the way sonos works is taking quite the toll.
CR 100's gone
Phonos for windows mobile broken with 9.1
Desktop setup functions gone.
Forced to buy an Android tablet to continue to use my system

My colleague was cleverly showing off how he can turn on his sonos music system at home while at work from his iPhone... well thats really handy I said turning away unimpressed...why do you need to? But its so cool... No, its pointless.

I'm not saying we shouldn't progress, but take stock of what is actually the real product.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
OK, I'm going to attempt to bring this back on topic.

Updates to the Desktop Controller are long overdue.

This sad attempt at an update from Sonos is pathetic. Losing functionality to bring the GUI colors/look in line with mobile devices is unacceptable.

This is just one more reason for me to NOT to upgrade my system or add players.

With the loss of CR-100, Dock and now loss of features in the updated desktop app, I am quite sure there are more users looking for a way to stop the updates from accidentally happening.

Is there a clear FAQ available to backup your current apps and block Sonos update servers from disabling more paid for features?
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
No there is no official sonos lockdown option. The only option is to update or not, with no way back.
This means you have to update to buy sonos products and add them to yours. If you were to lock down sonos can sell you nothing ever again.
Sonos could sell products with basic software which is updated to whatever version you are running, but support would be a nightmare with huge costs, which sonos must put above the profit from selling new stuff to old users. Although I thought most of their sales are to customers who already have 1product....

So i think in effect, they are chasing "new customers" only, the 20somethings with new homes and loads to cash to splash, with latest mobile phone, no desktop, no laptop, no nas, no music they own, members of a paid for music service, mad for voice control everything, the Netflix generation.
Maybe they could start a sub company, like sonophone/sonopad (which you could use instead of locking down, but no good for GPM), but how to fund it? how much would people pay? those two are only £2ish.
Paulw123 wrote:

So i think in effect, they are chasing "new customers" only, the 20somethings with new homes and loads to cash to splash, with latest mobile phone, no desktop, no laptop, no nas, no music they own, members of a paid for music service, mad for voice control everything, the Netflix generation.


Yes, that's certainly the impression that they've been giving for a while now - so as I'm not part of their target group it looks like it's time to lock down and look for a more suitable alternative in the medium/long term. With new options hitting the market every year, it might not take too long.

Paulw123 wrote:

Maybe they could start a sub company, like sonophone/sonopad (which you could use instead of locking down, but no good for GPM), but how to fund it? how much would people pay? those two are only £2ish.


Sure, they're only £2, but presumably at that price people are still making money.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I've never really had to read up on the lockdown process as I had no devices that were affected.
I only have pc controller and Android so can't even use Truplay.
Time for me to lockdown too now so no more new devices for me either.
Removing functionality is development too and will probably introduce bugs of its own.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
They could avoid this constant ridiculous bricking and feature removal by allowing users to choose which firmware level to run.

Imagine a world where we can choose if a device is to be bricked or not? Sunshine and lolliopops. Nah me either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Paulw123 wrote:

No there is no official sonos lockdown option. The only option is to update or not, with no way back.
This means you have to update to buy sonos products and add them to yours. If you were to lock down sonos can sell you nothing ever again.
Sonos could sell products with basic software which is updated to whatever version you are running, but support would be a nightmare with huge costs, which sonos must put above the profit from selling new stuff to old users. Although I thought most of their sales are to customers who already have 1product....

So i think in effect, they are chasing "new customers" only, the 20somethings with new homes and loads to cash to splash, with latest mobile phone, no desktop, no laptop, no nas, no music they own, members of a paid for music service, mad for voice control everything, the Netflix generation.
Maybe they could start a sub company, like sonophone/sonopad (which you could use instead of locking down, but no good for GPM), but how to fund it? how much would people pay? those two are only £2ish.



Well, according to Sonos, there are very few existing customers that are/were using the CR100, dock, and desktop setup features. And I would guess that there is an even smaller number of customers that are locking down their versions. So it's safe to conclude that existing customers are still able to buy Sonos products, with a few exceptions.

As far as the "new customers" you describe, Amazon, Apple, Google, etc are making an absolute killing catering to that audience. I don't think that audience is just a single age group or socio-economic class either, and probably contains a lot of existing Sonos customers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Hey no one is saying don't make a killing.
Just don't kill off/reduce functionality the stuff loyal customers use, provide an alternative option to keep stuff alive with all that "make a killing" money.
I doubt many systems will stay locked down for long anyway, a family member is bound to do an update on their phone sooner or later.
Have you tried setting up with a mobile? I have always used a laptop for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Paulw123 wrote:

Hey no one is saying don't make a killing.
Just don't kill off/reduce functionality the stuff loyal customers use, provide an alternative option to keep stuff alive with all that "make a killing" money.



I said that Amazon, Apple, and Google is making a killing. Based off the financial reports Sonos released when they went public, I wouldn't say is making a killing at this point in time, but that's subjective.

Paulw123 wrote:


I doubt many systems will stay locked down for long anyway, a family member is bound to do an update on their phone sooner or later.
Have you tried setting up with a mobile? I have always used a laptop for that.



I don't think I've ever done a setup on the desktop app. I do find the desktop useful for managing the queue, playlists, and such, but I rarely do that anymore. Honestly, I don't use my desktop for personal use for much of anything anymore. It's primarily when I want to type text (like now) or taxes.
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
PhilSkill wrote:

Phonos for windows mobile broken with 9.1



Sorry about that, but I am still working on it. At some point I hope you can remove this from your list at least.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Paulw123 wrote:


I doubt many systems will stay locked down for long anyway, a family member is bound to do an update on their phone sooner or later.


If the necessary ports and web addresses are blocked / blacklisted at the router, even if this were to happen, the actual Sonos hardware can't update, so it is still effectively locked down.

If the 'family member' is using an Android device and installs the latest Sonos app, they can restore the older version from the previously backed up APK file (or download it again from an APK mirror site). If it's IOS, they can restore from the iMazing backup (assuming it has been done in advance).

But an app backed up from one IOS device cannot be restored on to another IOS device if that device used a different Apple ID to download the app originally, so for the lockdown procedure to be complete, the Sonos app must be separately backed up for each Apple ID in the household then renamed so they can easily be identified for future use.

Of course, it all goes horribly wrong if someone gets a new IOS device - they would have no choice but to download the latest Sonos app.

Hey Ho, life is never easy
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
johngolfuk wrote:


Of course, it all goes horribly wrong if someone gets a new IOS device - they would have no choice but to download the latest Sonos app.


Actually, having thought about it, this should be no problem if an existing Apple ID is used on the new device. The 'locked' Sonos app in theory should restore from iMazing, however I have no personal experience of this.
johngolfuk wrote:

Hey Ho, life is never easy


Something that I hadn't thought about was spare hardware. I had a Bridge sitting in the cupboard, so thought that I might as well update it prior to lock-down, but had forgotten that not only does it need updating, but it then needs registering.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I can't express how disappointed I am with the direction Sonos is taking with the desktop app. For my home use this is not a big problem (although I often work from home and prefer to use the PC whenever possible). However, for those of us who use Sonos in a business environment, having a centralized control on the desktop for authorized employees on the desktop is vastly preferable to having multiple app installations on a variety of phones or tablets, as then every time an authorized employee leaves our company we'll be resetting our password.

To be clear, right now I don't see anything in the list that will be an absolute deal killer, but the direction Sonos is taking with this has me considering whether further investment in Sonos is appropriate in my business.
So in other words, you're refactoring an old codebase and you're too rushed and/or lazy to rebuild the existing functionality in it, correct? As much as I agree that the current skin of the app seems outdated, I'd gladly keep it for the core SONOS functionality that you're removing. All SONOS controllers should offer the same functionality. I'd almost prefer you phasing the desktop app out entirely than creating a good-looking but dumbed-down version of the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Master T wrote:

I can't express how disappointed I am with the direction Sonos is taking with the desktop app. For my home use this is not a big problem (although I often work from home and prefer to use the PC whenever possible). However, for those of us who use Sonos in a business environment, having a centralized control on the desktop for authorized employees on the desktop is vastly preferable to having multiple app installations on a variety of phones or tablets, as then every time an authorized employee leaves our company we'll be resetting our password.

To be clear, right now I don't see anything in the list that will be an absolute deal killer, but the direction Sonos is taking with this has me considering whether further investment in Sonos is appropriate in my business.



The desktop app isn't going away, only the setup/configuration features of the desktop app. So your employees will still be able to perform every day operations of the system. You would really only to have one phone/tablet that has access to your wifi network for the rare change to configuration.

Your right though, if everyday operating tasks are removed (and I'm not saying there's an indication that will happen) from the desktop, then it does create a wifi/password issue for some employment situations.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
melvimbe wrote:

The desktop app isn't going away, only the setup/configuration features of the desktop app. So your employees will still be able to perform every day operations of the system. You would really only to have one phone/tablet that has access to your wifi network for the rare change to configuration.



Understood, and in that regard I believe I was clear that "right now I don't see anything in the list that will be a deal killer." As I noted, my real concern was the overall direction Sonos was taking in diminishing the overall value and functionality of the desktop app, which is used daily in our operations.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Brad2daBone wrote:

So in other words, you're refactoring an old codebase and you're too rushed and/or lazy to rebuild the existing functionality in it, correct?



Or Sonos does not have the money to fund the development.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Is there a way to set up a Sonos Speaker without a wifi network? I have a Play 1 at work which doesn't have a wifi network. I set it up originally using the Desktop Program on Windows PC. Would I be able to do the same with the Android App?
There's no line in on a PLAY:1. How would you get music to it without a wifi network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have the Play:1 connected via ethernet cable at work to your network - then control via PC. If you need to do any setting changes you can have your android connect direct to the Sonosnet the Play:1 is outputting and make any revisions that way.
Ryan S wrote:

Our research shows that most Sonos owners reach for their mobile devices when it comes time to set up or control their systems, and so we've decided to focus on building interfaces where our owners go to look for them, which means our app for iOS or Android.



Hey Sonos, glad you are updating the desktop app, but I'm curious about your research here. I've got four Sonos speakers thus far and planning on several others to place around my home. But I find that my desktop app is my primary method of interacting with Sonos. Perhaps this is because I mostly use the speakers when I'm sitting at my desk in my office and have my computer in front of me--but I also have my phone and tablet in these situations.

The only time I "reach for my mobile device" to control Sonos is when I'm not at my desk. Which just doesn't happen nearly as often. Outside working in the yard, sure, but that's only on the rare weekend. Five other days of the week, I'm at my computer using the desktop app.

Is this what I get for disabling the spy-ware diagnostics?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The desktop app will continue working on daily basis as it does now. The only thing going away is the speaker settings like adding services or new units.
jmw_sono wrote:

Is there a way to set up a Sonos Speaker without a wifi network? I have a Play 1 at work which doesn't have a wifi network. I set it up originally using the Desktop Program on Windows PC. Would I be able to do the same with the Android App?


The dock, set to autoplay with the play 1 while both are on a WiFi network, could then work as a music source for an iDevice connected to its 30 pin connector, without a WiFi network present; the dock and the play 1 establish one on their own. But if you upgrade beyond 9.1, Sonos will kill the Dock.
There is way to also do this via an Android, to play music stored in a local library of the Android.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Chris wrote:

If you have the Play:1 connected via ethernet cable at work to your network - then control via PC. If you need to do any setting changes you can have your android connect direct to the Sonosnet the Play:1 is outputting and make any revisions that way.



Would I be able to setup a new speaker using the Android to Sonosnet? Currently When I run Sonos on my Android device, it says I need to be connected to a Wireless Network. When I have Wireless on, I don't see the speaker/Sonosnet.

At home ive done whatever settings needed which allowed me to use the Sonosnet for volume, etc. But with the hardwired speaker, I don't see any settings to allow me to talk to it.

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

    Cookie policy

    We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

    Accept cookies Cookie settings