Updates to the Desktop Controller Coming Soon

Show first post

648 replies

I'm not sure I understand the problem?  Managing, adding, and updating your music library was not removed from the Desktop Controller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Those settings are still there. Here’s the steps from the link I posted above:

Adding your music library using a desktop controller

1. From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
  2. Click + (plus) on a Mac, or “Add” if you are using a PC.
  3. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  4. Type in your computer's password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.

Those settings are still there. Here’s the steps from the link I posted above:

Adding your music library using a desktop controller

1. From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
  2. Click + (plus) on a Mac, or “Add” if you are using a PC.
  3. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  4. Type in your computer's password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.

thanks - at present cannot do ANY of this as the computer (and phone with latest iOS) cannot yet discover/locate  the Sonos speaker (which is right next to them both, - plugged into router with ethernet cable and has green light solid! ) 

so meanwhile everything else in the menu options appears as “greyed out”, not active link - including manage library setting option - seems none of the other options work until the speaker is located by the software?

Ryan I appreciate your help - if you can help me progress things it will be SO MUCH appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand the problem?  Managing, adding, and updating your music library was not removed from the Desktop Controller.

See reply to Ryan above - I cannot access those buttons / links/ options as they are greyed out so cannot select them ...as neither desktop computer or iphone can find the speaker. And seems that is step 1 before I can use the other functions… Been round in circles just trying to get that sorted first

That suggests that your Controller application is out of sync with the software running on the speakers. Have you checked to make sure that you have no updates pending? What OS are you running on your computer? What version of the Sonos controller are you running? 

I guess I should add this link, too:

supported OS

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Don’t get too caught up on software versions just yet. If you can’t see any Sonos devices like you mentioned here: 

thanks - at present cannot do ANY of this as the computer (and phone with latest iOS) cannot yet discover/locate  the Sonos speaker (which is right next to them both, - plugged into router with ethernet cable and has green light solid! )

This here is what you need to fix. Everything is greyed out and no options are available if you don’t have any Sonos devices listed.

If neither the computer nor phone can connect to Sonos, I’d start with making sure your players are on the network, and that the network you’re connecting to with those two controllers is the right one. If you’re on wireless with both phone and computer, is this possibly a guest network or have you made any network changes since it last worked?

If you’re able to log into the router, check see if it shows Sonos players listed on the devices connected page.

You may want to just start with rebooting the wireless router by unplugging it for a few minutes, then reboot your Sonos devices as well. Also, unplug and re-seat that Ethernet cable to make sure it’s good. 

The computer could have connection issues due to a firewall, but that wouldn’t prevent the phone from connecting.

Here’s a page with some suggestions and steps as well which might help.

Oops, missed that post. Sorry, Ryan. I’ll go mind my own business :)

Oops, missed that post. Sorry, Ryan. I’ll go mind my own business :)

All good Airgetlam, don’t feel unwanted, 😁 your insight welcome and worth checking as next step. Thanks for that 

Don’t get too caught up on software versions just yet. If you can’t see any Sonos devices like you mentioned here: 

This here is what you need to fix. Everything is greyed out and no options are available if you don’t have any Sonos devices listed.

If neither the computer nor phone can connect to Sonos, I’d start with making sure your players are on the network, and that the network you’re connecting to with those two controllers is the right one. If you’re on wireless with both phone and computer, is this possibly a guest network or have you made any network changes since it last worked?

If you’re able to log into the router, check see if it shows Sonos players listed on the devices connected page.

You may want to just start with rebooting the wireless router by unplugging it for a few minutes, then reboot your Sonos devices as well. Also, unplug and re-seat that Ethernet cable to make sure it’s good. 

The computer could have connection issues due to a firewall, but that wouldn’t prevent the phone from connecting.

Here’s a page with some suggestions and steps as well which might help.

thanks again Ryan. You rock! 😁

Have pretty much done these steps far as I can tell, checked everything on same network, its not a guest network but one i use all the time ... unplugged, replugged , switched off and on, rebooted…. Everything. umpteen times actually. Checked firewall too. So stumped.  🤔

havent logged into router site, good idea 🙂

but will optimistically try everything again, following the steps on page you gave link for. Not sure i will have time again until next weekend, travel a bit for work but will let you know how I get on

watch this space 

Cheers

That suggests that your Controller application is out of sync with the software running on the speakers. Have you checked to make sure that you have no updates pending? What OS are you running on your computer? What version of the Sonos controller are you running? 

Thanks for your input. Will check this out too, tho sonos and phone OS is latest , as it happens my iOS on desktop computer might not be. As was suggested by apple tech support that I tweak and check everything working on the SSD before updating iOS

Just bought a friend a Sonos Beam for Christmas. Went to their home to set it up.  Downloaded the PC app and found out, after more research, that it couldn’t be done without a mobile device.  It will be going back.

Thanks for nothing Sonos..

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Akitapal, sorry for the delay. If you’ve done all the basics, really the best thing to do is to contact our support team live. They’ll help look at what’s happening there more closely. 

@Akitapal, sorry for the delay. If you’ve done all the basics, really the best thing to do is to contact our support team live. They’ll help look at what’s happening there more closely. 

Thanks - didnt have much time this weekend but updated iOS and tried again, still it cannot find the speaker. Will contact your support team live when next get a chance - may only be end of the week

Sonos, WTF?!?

First you suddenly need the location services turned on for adding new speakers which I consider a huge intrusion into my privacy, but ok…

A couple of days ago you throw me out of my Sonos app because the Android on my mobile phone is considered too old.

And now I have to find out that I can’t even use the Windows Controller as fallback for adding the speakers?

And yes, I constantly need to add speakers because at least once a month one of my three Play:1 stops working without any reason and has to be set up again. This is SO annoying.

If I could I would return all three speakers now, all the points above taken together are getting a real deal breaker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@griddd you should get your network problem figured out, there is zero need to re-add speakers once a month.

I share your concern about the location change and the gutting of the PC app, but the latter ship has sailed, a while ago.

@controlav

This is the reason why I wrote this point last. Actually I think someone in my household uses them wrong and resets them by accident, but even then it’s a software flaw because this shouldn’t be possible by accident. The network is quite stable, at least as good as a WiFi can be, and even the box closest to the WiFi router resets quite often.

Edit: Hm… looks like a mix of those two. I currently have one box that was back after a reboot and another one that is completely gone (green blinking). Still, this isn’t the major point here, what really matters to me are the three other points.

I selected Sonos because they were the least intrusive & complicated manufacturer at that time and this totally changed.

I have 8 Sonos products and am very sad about the state of the Mac controller. I do not want to be forced to use a tiny screen to do anything. Please put all the functionality back into the desktop apps.

Just gave another trial of this Desktop app. It is still in a really bad shape and really not usable with a touch screen. It is a new app with a win XP style UI. I know that other third party apps can be downloaded from the Windows store, but it is really disappointing that Sonos is not able to give a decent desktop controler.

Happy Hollidays by the way.

Badge +2

Well I too have pretty much ad enough of this scummy company and  I am pretty sure what they are doing is not legal.  Ever since I invested in Sonos (pretty much since it was first available in the UK) they have continually forced the removal of functionality that I would claim was not theirs to remove, and added nothing I have cared for except for when they first added the ability to search.  Network stability is all over the place, so their engineers must keep tinkering with things that worked reasonably well at the off.  I don’t want to have to “log in” to an application service, nor to have to use certain types of devices that I did not before. Pretty sure they will end support for the desktop app at some stage and claim that it s an upgrade.  I spent a good few thousand pounds on this over the years (either directly on Sonos equipment or on replacement player devices to support it).

I once went through the agonising process of getting Sonos to downgrade my system after my toddler managed to upgrade it and force loss of ipad access. I fight with intermittent sound cutouts all the time, re-adding of devices, loss of ability to check the remaining music library slots.  I stopped commenting on their forums many years back as it was always such a waste of time and just ended up making made my blood boil even more than using the product - but my son just walked in moaning that the device in his room is not working again so I have conjured up the energy to add my two pennies (to the many thousands of pounds).

Simple fact Sonos care only about marketing and drawing in new customers, and existing customers are just an irritation to them - who can blame them until perhaps we join together and sue them.  And I do a hope a certain irritating Sonos lover on this forum (now and all the way back then) does not attempt to reply to me.

Are Sonos going to release a new version of the PC app that lets you add devices?

I opened a support ticket and they referred me to this forum. Looks like bad news if nothing has changed in the past year.

We manage many many many sonos connect & connect:amp devices around the world through a server on every site running the sonos PC app. It’s no longer possible for us to support the sonos systems remotely without the old PC app.

For example, this week we had a site in another country where a sonos connect randomly factory reset itself. We could ping it but it was no longer listed on the PC app. In the end we had to call the property manager and get them to drive on site. They said in the rack of 20 sonos connects in the serve room, one of them had a flashing light. No idea why it reset like that but we had to talk them though re-adding the connect to the sonos system through the sonos app on their mobile.

In the past we could have easily re-added the device remotly from the sonos PC app on the server!

Certainly we will no longer be installing sonos products as we can’t support them.

When will Sonos allow us to setup new speakers with the desktop app ? I can’t stand that building a full-featured desktop application would be so overwhelming for your company.

There are som many available frameworks to create fully fledged applications. You must find one that allow you to do on Windows and Mac what you’ve already done on iOS and Android !

I just don’t want to buy a new phone or a new tablet when the ones I already owns are still working. We only have one planet. We cannot afford to spend its resources unnecessarily !

When will Sonos allow us to setup new speakers with the desktop app ?

Never.  That capability is not coming back.