Updates to the Desktop Controller Coming Soon

Show first post

614 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I wonder how much thought went into the decision to remove functionality from the PC controller for those who's visual impairment requires a bigger screen? Another example of corporate discrimination.

Huh? Doesn't discrimination require an intent to exclude? If there was no thought put into the decision in regards to visual impaired, how can that be considered discrimination? Let's not pretend that Sonos made this decision because they actively wanted to prevent the visually impaired to use their products, at least not without some sort of evidence to show intent or lack of any other reason why they made this change.
I think removing the functionality from the PC app is a backwards step. I do have android devices so it is not a big deal for me, but when doing something technical I still prefer to use my PC. Googling in a second window, or checking online instructions in a second window is much easier.

I agree. I have a 4K monitor on my PC and I love all of the extra real estate. Developing programs is so much easier as I can copy and paste from multiple windows. I waste a lot of time on phones and pads as I juggle views. I miss all of the diagnostic data, that was available on the old DCR.
Honestly, although I love Sonos, the Desktop Controller software is a throwback to the 1990's. There is nothing exciting about it. It's dull and simplistic.It's needs something to reflect the hardware....
Userlevel 1
Honestly, although I love Sonos, the Desktop Controller software is a throwback to the 1990's. There is nothing exciting about it. It's dull and simplistic.It's needs something to reflect the hardware.... I dont care if the desktop app is horrible looking. The complete lack of thought to removing functionality KEY to running the Sonos system is mind-boggingly short-sighted. They should put a disclaimer on the boxes, "SmartPhone Required; Not Included"
This is a serious miss on Sonos' part. I have a lot of Sonos hardware, but my love of Sonos is over now. Sonos has brought no important innovations in many years (to me anyway), meanwhile other systems, including Google, are getting there (much cheaper and more open) systems in order. Removing essential functionality from the PC desktop app and forcing us to use the much more cumbersome mobile device is really frustrating.
Honestly, although I love Sonos, the Desktop Controller software is a throwback to the 1990's. There is nothing exciting about it. It's dull and simplistic.It's needs something to reflect the hardware.... I dont care if the desktop app is horrible looking. The complete lack of thought to removing functionality KEY to running the Sonos system is mind-boggingly short-sighted. They should put a disclaimer on the boxes, "SmartPhone Required; Not Included"The Sonos System requirements are quite clearly stated online here...

Sonos System Requirements

...and like most advancing technology these days, where progressive companies prefer not to standstill with their products, both existing and new, these things are quite often 'subject to change, without notice' as stated in the product user-manual.
Along with the visual updates shown above, the next version will remove several under-utilized menus from the desktop controller, most of which pertain to changing settings. Here's the full list of exactly what will be removed from the desktop controller:
  • Setting up or transferring a system
  • Adding a player to existing system
  • The ability to bond/unbond players (surrounds, stereo pairs, or adding a Sub).
  • Registering players
  • TV setup for Beam, Playbase, and Playbar
  • Enabling parental controls
  • Network settings and management
  • Line-in settings
  • Renaming a Room
  • Opting in or out of a beta program
  • Resetting your Sonos account password (you can still do so on a computer via sonos.com)

Removing these under-used settings will allow us to focus on improving the mobile experience on the Sonos app, while also retaining the desktop controller as a way to control playback, grouping, and other basic controls when you're at your computer. 

Cost saving more like - a rubbish decision
Badge
omg Sonos, let me rename my speakers. No, NOT ROOMS, SPEAKERS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I updated my Windows app to allow renaming speakers. Find it on the Store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I renamed my speakers using my Router to assign a unique name to each speaker's MAC address.
Hallo?

Removing those features from a desktop app in this multi-device ecosystem context makes realy no sense to me. And also in general, a desktop is much more well suited for exactly those advanced configurations tasks that you removed.

Or at least consider making the Windows Phone equivalent 😉 (don't hit me, I know, nobody has those, but then an UWP app could be used on Windows 10 PC)
Just purchased a fourth speaker only to discover this update. It's nutz, the new look sucks and the ability to not be able to add additional Sonos products on a PC makes zero sense.

"We plan to continue supporting the desktop controller for the foreseeable future as a convenient way to control day-to-day functions while you're actively using a computer. There are also some functions that can only be done via the desktop controller" huh??

I have 1200 hundred dollars in Sonos product BEFORE the latest speaker purchase and one day they'll be useless on a PC, brilliant.....

Thanks for the inconvenience, whatta mess.
Badge +2
While I understand that we don't pay for upgrades and software development is expensive, why pull features that were working just fine on desktop? Sonos, have you thought of open sourcing the desktop controller?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
While I understand that we don't pay for upgrades and software development is expensive, why pull features that were working just fine on desktop? Sonos, have you thought of open sourcing the desktop controller?

Software support costs money as well. The code needs to be maintained so that it remains secure, operates correctly when new products become available.

Sonos does have APIs for others to create their own software. See here. I don't think there are APIs to replace features that were removed from the desktop application though.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings