Updates to the Desktop Controller Coming Soon

Show first post

591 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
jgatie wrote:

Airplay also allows you to stream: YouTube (a gigantic thread about that), Netflix (Ditto), BBC iPlayer (Huge thread about that), and any other service which is not specifically supported by Sonos. A bit larger of an impact than your decidedly downplayed analysis, what say?

As to me defending Sonos? Not hard to do when the attack is based on falsehoods and misinformation, including that long debunked FUD nonsense about the ZP's being discontinued because they share the same processor as the CR100. Step up your game and maybe I won't have anything to defend.

Or you could just . . . Let It Go!

So just to confirm, it lets me stream stuff I could already stream if I plugged any of the above into the line in on Sonos. Something that has been achievable for the last 12+ years.

Using variations of cables, or bluetooth dongles with line out, this has been easily achieved, and got easier. I did say it could stream stuff, the point is, it has always been possible to stream this stuff. It really adds nothing, other than maybe saving a £12 cable. Maybe you weren't aware of the line-in functionality.
Are you actually equating a hardwired device with wireless streaming? Might as well equate Ethernet with WiFi. Or a land line with a cell phone. Or, for that matter, a traditional wired system with Sonos!

You have now hit the point where the dirt you are throwing up can't even reach the top of the hole. Stop digging, or you will bury yourself. :D
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
jgatie wrote:

F00tS0re wrote:

And yes Amazon can't stream music from my NAS, but I can upload to Amazon.

Amazon stopped allowing music uploads as of last year, and will close the whole deal down this month.

As I said, do try to keep up.

F00tS0re wrote:

There is no service revenue from a NAS.

There is no service revenue for Sonos from any service. Sonos has no financial deals with any of their streaming providers. Support is free, and open to anyone.

This is just not your day.

So I can currently play my music from Amazon that I previously uploaded. Thanks for the confirmation. Yes it is ending. Next.

You are aware of the IPO aren't you, do you think the shareholders will want Sonos to maximise their return or not? Irrespective of whether they do Sonos are now obliged to maximise their return. Yes they have been a box shifter, this will change.
There is no service revenue from NAS - this statement is correct.
It is also impossible to monetise music stored on peoples own NAS drives. Have we had an update for SMB, something actively dropped by Microsoft and Apple to name two (yes it can be fudged back on, a bit like you can open ports on routers, but that is a user choice). Nope, and at some point we will be told it is unsupportable, or has little use. It will then be streaming only, and options exist for future payments or charges on/for streaming services. It is a forward looking statement (a bit like your one for Amazon above).

Have you located the line in function on your Sonos kit yet?
So your rebuttal is a feature that will be useless in less than a month, and more baseless speculation and FUD, for which you offer no proof except your own feverish rants?

Why it's the CR100 thread all over again!

Keep on digging! ;)
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
jgatie wrote:

Are you actually equating a hardwired device with wireless streaming? Might as well equate Ethernet with WiFi. Or a land line with a cell phone. Or, for that matter, a traditional wired system with Sonos!

You have now hit the point where the dirt you are throwing up can't even reach the top of the hole. Stop digging, or you will bury yourself. :D

Most of my Sonos system is wired! It works reliably that way (country house walls rather than anything wrong with Sonos).

I can comfortably kick something off on a computer that is plugged into the line in on Sonos, and listen anywhere.
I can comfortably play something on my TV that is plugged into the line in on Sonos (the TV isn't that mobile)
I can comfortably play something on my phone over bluetooth to a dongle that is plugged into Line ion on Sonos
I can comfortably kick something on my media server using phone or tablet. The media server is plugged into line in on Sonos.

Take your pick from any of the above, tethered or untethered solutions exist.

It's not a question of digging, you just think of something, shout it out, add an insult, and think you come across as clever. I have been able to wirelessly stream stuff into Sonos for a long time. FACT.
Apple airplay adds the capability to do this. Excuse me if I don't fall off my chair.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
F00tS0re wrote:

You are aware of the IPO aren't you, do you think the shareholders will want Sonos to maximise their return or not? Irrespective of whether they do Sonos are now obliged to maximise their return. Yes they have been a box shifter, this will change.
There is no service revenue from NAS - this statement is correct.
It is also impossible to monetise music stored on peoples own NAS drives. Have we had an update for SMB, something actively dropped by Microsoft and Apple to name two (yes it can be fudged back on, a bit like you can open ports on routers, but that is a user choice). Nope, and at some point we will be told it is unsupportable, or has little use. It will then be streaming only, and options exist for future payments or charges on/for streaming services. It is a forward looking statement (a bit like your one for Amazon above).

The need for Sonos to make profits isn't going to cause them to make stupid decisions that would kill the company entirely. It's really not even discussing further than that.

F00tS0re wrote:

Have you located the line in function on your Sonos kit yet?

With this line of thinking, why do we have wifi, Bluetooth, or wirless anything? Afterall, you can always just plug stuff in, so it's really not an added value at all.
F00tS0re wrote:

Most of my Sonos system is wired! It works reliably that way (country house walls rather than anything wrong with Sonos).

I can comfortably kick something off on a computer that is plugged into the line in on Sonos, and listen anywhere.
I can comfortably play something on my TV that is plugged into the line in on Sonos (the TV isn't that mobile)
I can comfortably play something on my phone over bluetooth to a dongle that is plugged into Line ion on Sonos
I can comfortably kick something on my media server using phone or tablet. The media server is plugged into line in on Sonos.

It's not a question of digging, you just think of something, shout it out, add an insult, and think you come across as clever. I have been able to wirelessly stream stuff into Sonos for a long time. FACT.
Apple airplay adds the capability to do this.

And I can comfortably play a CD on my Home Theater receiver. Why in the world would I ever need Sonos?

And how does Airplay "add the capability" to do something you claim we can already do?

I'm confused. :? It really seems you are projecting your own personal usage on a gigantic and versatile market. If so, remind me to never take any financial advice from you.

F00tS0re wrote:

Excuse me if I don't fall off my chair.

By all accounts you already have, and it appears you hit your head pretty hard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
F00tS0re wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Apple airplay adds the capability to do this. Excuse me if I don't fall off my chair.

No one saying you should dump all your wired solutions for airplay. Hell, I have no interest in airplay for different reasons. But we aren't talking about you, specifically, or me for that matter. We're talking features the general market wants and what these potential customers are interested in. And believe it or not, there are many folks out there that have an interest in airplay, even bought Sonos Ones because it's the cheapest speaker you could get that was airplay compatible (may still be, don't know). Saying airplay is irrelevant to the market because it's irrelevant to you...is not logical.

And I'm not saying airplay is the killer feature that will sell Sonos speakers for years to come, it's just one factor.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
jgatie wrote:

Why it's the CR100 thread all over again!

You are right, it is the CR100 thread all over again. some people want to discuss something that is important to them. But the thread gets invaded by rude, boorish posters who want to shout a lot about how everyone else is an idiot, totally wrong, and how clever they are.
I wish you a great 2019, but I am out!

Dave
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
melvimbe wrote:

[And believe it or not, there are many folks out there that have an interest in airplay, even bought Sonos Ones because it's the cheapest speaker you could get that was airplay compatible (may still be, don't know).

.... there are other speakers (cheaper than Sonos) eg. GGMM - etc. I have had a Pioneer WX-SMA1 for about 6-7 years. Just sayin' .
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
castalla wrote:

melvimbe wrote:

[And believe it or not, there are many folks out there that have an interest in airplay, even bought Sonos Ones because it's the cheapest speaker you could get that was airplay compatible (may still be, don't know).

.... there are other speakers (cheaper than Sonos) eg. GGMM - etc. I have had a Pioneer WX-SMA1 for about 6-7 years. Just sayin' .

I think this is the article I was thinking of.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/29/17406748/sonos-one-airplay-2-speaker

Obviously, things were going to change, and the article may not have been even correct when it was written.
I agree. Thanks for nothing Sonos...you've missed the boat completely...maybe focus on making the system more reliable and stop changing things just to be changing them. The biggest issue people have, and by far the most frustrating one, is EXACTLY the same as the one people had years ago when I bought my first piece...music cutting out. You keep rewriting your article on interference (which is still not helpful), adding things that are not necessary and now, removing functionality that people have used and relied on for years. The mobile app is obviously important, but instead of making it more complicated to use and more layered, maybe streamline IT and MAKE IT EASIER TO USE. Keep in mind, that when using the mobile app, when you try to do something or find something, and you touch the wrong thing...it often inadvertently results in music stopping or pausing for a second until you restart it. This is annoying and embarrassing when people are around. The more you complicate the mobile app, the worse you make it. The beauty of a well-designed app is its simplicity...NOT how much you can pack into it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
I just have to add my voice to those who are unimpressed with the substantially reduced functionality of the desktop apps. Sure, I use mobile when selecting music and grouping players... but for any "advanced setting" type of interaction, I'd always revert to a desktop. E.g. If I want to do an updated exploration of wifi signal strength in my area (Why do neighbours have to get new routers :8 ?) and I decide I may want to change my SonosNet channel, I'd do all of that work from a desktop - the signal strength review, the access to my router settings, and, historically, to Sonos advanced settings for configuration. now I need to grab a different device and juggle... is it a big deal? not really, is it a pain and a disappointment? Yeah - Kinda.

It seems the organization simply wants to lower costs by not supporting 4 platforms (MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android) properly. That's a shame. I get saving money, sure, but this seems backwards.. In my view of the world it should be mobile devices for simple things, desktops for complex things - not the other way around. I love my system... and I rarely have any challenges with it, but I do worry about Sonos lately... seem to be making expedient decisions as opposed to good ones...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
SHARKB8T wrote:

I just have to add my voice to those who are unimpressed with the substantially reduced functionality of the desktop apps. Sure, I use mobile when selecting music and grouping players... but for any "advanced setting" type of interaction, I'd always revert to a desktop. E.g. If I want to do an updated exploration of wifi signal strength in my area (Why do neighbours have to get new routers :8 ?) and I decide I may want to change my SonosNet channel, I'd do all of that work from a desktop - the signal strength review, the access to my router settings, and, historically, to Sonos advanced settings for configuration. now I need to grab a different device and juggle... is it a big deal? not really, is it a pain and a disappointment? Yeah - Kinda.

It seems the organization simply wants to lower costs by not supporting 4 platforms (MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android) properly. That's a shame. I get saving money, sure, but this seems backwards.. In my view of the world it should be mobile devices for simple things, desktops for complex things - not the other way around. I love my system... and I rarely have any challenges with it, but I do worry about Sonos lately... seem to be making expedient decisions as opposed to good ones...

I think a mobile or a tablet is a far better tool for exploring wifi signal strength in your area than a desktop (or even a laptop for that matter).
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
edmountain wrote:

I think a mobile or a tablet is a far better tool for exploring wifi signal strength in your area than a desktop (or even a laptop for that matter).

I get your point re: assessing at various locations, etc.

However, in my view, the use of a mobile device - essentially a single interface at a time instead of multiple open windows, flip app , flip app, flipp app.. navigate menus... .. just isn't as fluid. No it isn't the end of the world... unless i'm someone who doesn't have a mobile device - and I have got to think that there are a few (yes.. I know, just a few) for which I guess Sonos' answer is to go spend more money. This current trend of theirs with eliminating existing functionality, and bricking existing devices that work (! don't get me started on that!) all in the name of "progress" sounds like simply an organization that is desperate to cut costs. It certainly doesn't sound like a high-quality, premium solution it once was. Makes me seriously worry about any additional investment to my system... I expected it to work for many many years - not be eliminated in within 10... and certainly not to have to constantly feed some other tech vendor constant money to be able to continue use my products!
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Well it certainly isn't "progress" (or "courage", or any of the other terms tech companies use to get you to replace working 3rd-party hardware). While we can all go and ensure we have an Android or iOS device around, the bigger problem is having to swap an open platform with a slow upgrade cycle (Windows / Mac) for reliance on a closed, frequently updated platform. Sonos 9.1 controller runs happily on 8-or-10-year-old hardware (eg. Windows 7). Sonos 9.2 (or greater) requires an OS from the last 3-5 years, and hardware of a similar vintage. And it's not like you can just stick with the current version if you want to add anything to your Sonos network.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings