Updates to the Desktop Controller Coming Soon

Show first post

601 replies

Alan_78 wrote:

I think Sonos has made a terrible mistake in removing administration tasks from your desktop controllers. Instead of investing more money into SONOS products I will be investing time into looking for an alternative solution for my music listening.

Please post back to let us know which superior overall system you settle on.
Userlevel 2
Just joined this forum to express my disappointment at the downgrading of the desktop controller. It's a backward step. I much prefer a larger screen and proper keyboard than fiddling around with my smart phone. I didn't know the add speakers function was removed until I tried to set up a Beam which I took delivery of yesterday. Shame.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It's amazing that Sonos can just ignore all this negative feedback and do nothing. I have hope though, so I keep checking for an update to the Desktop Controller every day. Come on, Sonos. Listen to your loyal customers and restore it's functionality.
Badge
Need 2 devices to work ...
I have WiFi interference with Line-In. Worked with SONOS support and determined the only solution is to set compression on. This is great for Audio, but introduces about a 2 second delay. When I watch videos on my PC, I would change the compression so everything was in sync. Now I need 2 devices, as I don't intend to watch video on a tiny phone screen.

Also several posts encourage use on a tablet. I have a great tablet called a Surface Pro - but it needs the PC Desktop controller. Surprise ... it is not a desktop. I'll camp out on the couch to watch something on my SP3 and oops, I have to find my phone to change the compression setting.

What baffles me the most is removing the functionality. Does that code really need constant update to keep working?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Apparently Sonos believes that only Desktop PC's are affected by this. They don't realize or care that Surface Pro's, Laptops, netbooks, etc are also being impacted. Hey Sonos, these are also mobile devices but they run the Desktop App.
Userlevel 1
@Sonos: I use a desktop and when I went to add a new speaker this weekend, was forced to update. Then I find out that because I was forced to update the software I can no longer add speakers. What are you thinking? How does this make any sense. All of my music is on my windows system and I can no longer even get to that. This is the worst thought out update I have ever seen to a system. The fact that we are forced to turn our speakers into glorified radio stations and paper weights unless we go out an buy a handheld device is ridiculous. At least let us use the old version so we have something functional. Can I return my 8 speakers and boost now, since your decisions have made them non-functional for me?
Adding my voice, please restore the functionality of the desktop apps!
Userlevel 1
I just added a 1 star review at amazon. Great speakers that now are not fully functional.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
OMG it's a controller functionality downgrade, nothing at all has happened to the functionality of a working system.
The world is going mobile devices/voice. My laptop lives under my sofa, rarely used now. I need to renew Kaspersky on it, just in case I need to power it up ever again.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Why does the playing track not have the animated EQ like the Mobile Apps.

After all these years - still no right click play next available from the queue so in a 500 track playlist you have to find the track you want to play next then try and drag it underneath the track that is playing - if you can find it!!
Badge +1
alan8 wrote:

Just joined this forum to express my disappointment at the downgrading of the desktop controller. It's a backward step. I much prefer a larger screen and proper keyboard than fiddling around with my smart phone. I didn't know the add speakers function was removed until I tried to set up a Beam which I took delivery of yesterday. Shame.

I would just take the beam back to were you got it from and get your money back, just like I did the other week...…I think this is the only way sonos will start to listen to their customers once again, if enough people did this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
So we can't add Sonos components using our preferred device, after having been able to do so since 2005. Let's not buy any more Sonos components.
Userlevel 1
Please, for the love of all that is holy, put the functionality back in the desktop app to change settings.
Badge
Just also joined this forum to express my disappointment at the downgrading of the desktop controller. I talked with Sonos tech support and they were very polite but totally unapologetic about the" backward step".
I postulated the scenario that when arrival home, the typical inhabitant will drop their cellphone on the charger and drift over to their desktop/laptop to read emails and listen to Sonos rather than continue with their cellphone. Having IDENTICAL APPS on users devices is a means of increased convenience and usability. Its what is called efficient "human engineering."
The reply by the Sonos supervisor was that it was too costly to devote programming resources in areas that are diminishing is use (i.e. desktop systems). Until my fingers shrink to the size of a cellphone keypad and the phone is surgically attached to my hip, desktop systems are in my future. In normal use Sonos devices are NOT portable, they stay put on a bookshelf! so while cellphone use is increasing, having access to ALL Sonos features at home on a desktop/workstation is a must!
I much prefer a larger screen and proper keyboard than fiddling around with my smart phone. I didn't know the 'add speakers' function was removed until I tried to set up a pair of speakers which I took delivery of yesterday, knowing that, I might have reconsidered… Shame.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
broccolib wrote:

Just also joined this forum to express my disappointment at the downgrading of the desktop controller. I talked with Sonos tech support and they were very polite but totally unapologetic about the" backward step".
I postulated the scenario that when arrival home, the typical inhabitant will drop their cellphone on the charger and drift over to their desktop/laptop to read emails and listen to Sonos rather than continue with their cellphone. Having IDENTICAL APPS on users devices is a means of increased convenience and usability. Its what is called efficient "human engineering."
The reply by the Sonos supervisor was that it was too costly to devote programming resources in areas that are diminishing is use (i.e. desktop systems). Until my fingers shrink to the size of a cellphone keypad and the phone is surgically attached to my hip, desktop systems are in my future. In normal use Sonos devices are NOT portable, they stay put on a bookshelf! so while cellphone use is increasing, having access to ALL Sonos features at home on a desktop/workstation is a must!
I much prefer a larger screen and proper keyboard than fiddling around with my smart phone. I didn't know the 'add speakers' function was removed until I tried to set up a pair of speakers which I took delivery of yesterday, knowing that, I might have reconsidered… Shame.

When arriving home the typical inhabitant will continue to cling tightly to their phone and completely ignore their desktop or laptop--if they even have one of those for that matter. Even the vanishingly small minority who do go directly to their desktop or laptop can still do exactly what you want them to do which is to listen to music, group rooms, etc. The only thing they cannot do is add new speakers.

Your anecdote about how long it took you to discover what has been removed illustrates clearly just how rarely that function is actually needed.

I honestly think a lot of the invective about this is just people looking for a reason to complain.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So, I see some negative remarks towards Community Members because they choose to use their Desktop/Laptops over smaller mobile devices. Shouldn't be happening. Members should be able to use whatever device they prefer and accomplish the same functions. Even though I do have an Android phone and half a dozen tablets scattered around the house, I still prefer to use my Desktop PC to add speakers and manage my NAS music library. It's all about having the choice and not being forced in a certain direction by the manufacturer. Just my opinion.
Add me to those who use a Surface Pro and prefer the desktop version for adding speakers. I just bought a Beam and had I known that I was going to have to load the app on my phone just to add it, I would have bought a different soundbar.

Just to add insult to injury, the Beam has now disappeared from my controller, so I have to go through the whole process again.

Sonos seems intent on making things less and less convenient for its users.
upstatemike wrote:

Kumar wrote:

upstatemike wrote:

I manage all of my stereo pairs, subs, line-in settings, room renaming, and local library management from the PC app. The pace of retiring old devices and functionality is accelerating!

As do I, from my Mac. More than half of my listening is at my desk, using the Mac controller. I could have, in time, learnt to use the new look with some irritation, but losing essential functionality is more incentive to stay on 9.1. If I needed any to preserve my Dock, that is.
I can also see that by staying on 9.1 my ability to offer advice here will also start getting obsolete, so it is probably time to move on from this community.

Don't leave yet... we still have the Play5 Gen1, Bridge, and UPNP support to discontinue this year. You'll miss all the fun!

Please don't me more angrier - I have been selling/installing this stuff for years. Only last year I had CR100's bricked after an unauthorised update. If they do the same to Gen Play 5s then god knows what carnage that will create.
I’m certainly not complaining and I have several of the devices mentioned, but it’s no different to any other products, like analog TV's, VHS video recorders, Windows 3.11 computers ... these things all die out and get replaced with new technology eventually.

I’m just glad companies like Sonos, Apple, Amazon, Google etc; keep driving things forward, rather than standing still. It’s often the companies that standstill with their products that collapse and fall by the wayside.
Driving forward sure, but with those products you mentioned, they still worked and features remained intact until the products themselves were no longer used by the users. Removing features from current, active software is just poor business.
Userlevel 2
Sorry edmountain, but you are wrong on how everyone conducts their lives. We all use media in our own homes for our own convenience in our own way.Try organizing a 20 column spreadsheet on a phone.
It is not true that 'The only thing they cannot do is add new speakers'. This is the full list :-
Setting up or transferring a system
Adding a player to existing system
The ability to bond/unbond players (surrounds, stereo pairs, or adding a Sub).
Registering players
TV setup for Beam, Playbase, and Playbar
Enabling parental controls
Network settings and management
Line-in settings
Renaming a Room
Opting in or out of a beta program
Resetting your Sonos account password (you can still do so on a computer via sonos.com)

I am a relatively new Sonos user. spent about £1100 on speakers as well as buying a new all in one
PC 6 months ago. I was convinced by 5 Sonos user friends to invest (All PC or laptop users by choice as it happens).I loved it, the sound, the convenience, experimenting with stereo pairing etc. I was hooked, and nearly boghtt a second set of three's but a lot of stockists were out of stock and I found out it was discontinued. I was totally bewildered when I bought a beam recently and couldn't set it up via the PC app. We can't understand the downgrade. It has shaken our trust in Sonos. Will it become a streaming only service? Will Sonos survive if it can't even financially afford to maintain the desktop app?. Will we be able to access our personal music files on a PC in future? Do Sonos software developers do so on a 5 inch screen? will there be people tearing their hair out on Christmas afternoon?
Sorry but I can't think of anything positive to say about the desktop app.
My 80 year old dad loves his music and I've ripped a lot of his vinyl from the 40s to MP3s for him for listening through his laptop. I was tempted to get him a couple of Play:1s for Christmas. He has a laptop to manage it, but not a phone that will run the app. I've gotten him something else instead.
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
alan8 wrote:

...Will it become a streaming only service? Will Sonos survive if it can't even financially afford to maintain the desktop app?. Will we be able to access our personal music files on a PC in future? Do Sonos software developers do so on a 5 inch screen? will there be people tearing their hair out on Christmas afternoon?
Sorry but I can't think of anything positive to say about the desktop app.

My personal analysis of those question is that those of us who bought Sonos for playing personal music files (like a ripped CD-library) are on the wrong train with Sonos. It used to be the right choice for us but not anymore. I'm still figuring out which way to go - there's no obvious replacement - but I'm pressy sure staying with Sonos will only make me disappointed. Since it's not where the money is I believe it will be a combination of some open source music server solution and Airplay 2-speakers.
BCM wrote:

Driving forward sure, but with those products you mentioned, they still worked and features remained intact until the products themselves were no longer used by the users. Removing features from current, active software is just poor business.

Users did have a choice not to upgrade ...and in the case of the CR100 controller, a degree of compensation was offered. There was the opportunity for users to standstill, if they preferred to do that ..and it was certainly very widely discussed before any obsolescence took place.

Arguably, the Sonos Dock functionality was made available elsewhere in the Sonos App and whilst Sonos have chosen to remove some admin functions of the desktop controller software, Sonos say they have chosen to allegedly move in the same direction as the majority of its customers, who apparently perform those admin tasks using a mobile platform.

I have several computers at home myself and have lost CR100 controllers and the Sonos Dock.

The desktop controller does still work well for Sonos playback, so for the majority of customers, very little functionality has been lost there.

I have certainly parted with more money and lost plenty of functionality through the upgrade methods adopted by Apple, Google and other similar large companies, by comparison to what Sonos have done to me, so far.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings