Update on Sonos Dock functionality

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

Most disappointed that my two Dock's are now landfill

It was nice to continue listening to ipod by dropping it onto a dock, and continue where you left off.
This following on from the cr100 means our Sonos system isn't really getting as much use as it used to

Have to wonder if we would be better off without it - having to use a phone / tablet to control means you might as well just use Apple airplay 😕
Yes I’ve surrendered the CR100, Sonos Dock and lost my Bridge too in recent times (the latter due to power supply failure) but...

1. I did get a voucher from Sonos for my old controller and that was put towards a new Sonos One, which not only sounds great, but the Alexa voice control is very useful. It also allows me to now Airplay lots of other 'different' audio sources to every sonos speaker in my home.
2. All the music that was on my iPod, is still available in the Sonos App, both via my NAS and also online, via music services.
3. My Bridge was replaced with the much improved Sonos Boost and that seems to provide extra stability to my system since configuring the wireless channels correctly and adding my Sonos IP addresses to my routers DHCP Reservation Table

So all is not lost in my case, in fact I see my audio system as gaining a good deal of benefit by these recent Sonos changes and long may we continue to see such technological audio advancement.

I gave my iPod ...and Dock (as a charger)... plus some new headphones, away to a young lad and so at least he has benefitted from these changes too, The landfill did not get it on this occasion.
Hi, Kids updated the sonos system by accident. How do I reverse the updates so my dock still works?
How do I reverse the updates so my dock still works?

You don't. 😞
Seriously??? recently brought an unopened dock off ebay in JULY! went through the hassle of calling sonos up to get to connected to the system, been trying to use it for the last couple of days and find this out? there was nothing wrong with them at all, 3 months of use for a product that still works perfectly fine
I used to recommend Sonos to my friends. I can no longer do that with a clear conscience.
There is a difference between no longer supporting a device that works just fine and making it unusable.
I see Sonos releasing more and more complex (and more expensive) devices. Some of us just want simple toys that work great. So now, not only can we no longer use devices we've already invested in - we also have to buy new devices to do the same thing. There's something wrong with this! fyi this dock worked flawlessly with new devices using a simple adapter. How on earth can I listen to my own music collection? I don't want to use cumbersome search utilities to wade through online music services and rebuild all my playlists. I'm not just disappointed - I'm angry - thirteen years and eleven rooms of music later. And just so you know, the line-in approach is NOT a solution because YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE SOURCE.
I'd better pay attention. Perhaps my car - which also has an integration to the 30 pin apple devices, will become unusable as well, just because apple is no longer updating the devices... just trying to get you to see how insanely stupid this sounds.
I missed the memo on this as well and now have a paperweight sitting where my very useful dock used to be. Disgusting move by Sonos indeed and I will now be thinking twice before happily recommending these speakers as I once did.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes, sonos are real keen to send you an email to your sonos inbox about new sales for a coloured speaker, but no warning the 9.2 upgrade will kill your dock. And to catch your further they add new auto-update feature to hide future death knolls even more.
Poor show sonos..
On September 13th, Sonos sent me this email... see attached screenshot.

I think the Staff said that they sent the email out to all current registered Sonos Dock owners. I may also have got a message at some point within the App too, but even if that is not correct, it was certainly mentioned long before that, on this forum here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/update-on-sonos-dock-functionality-6812811

and in addition, it was publicised on the Sonos Support website here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/dock

It was also in the release notes for the v9.2 update here:

https://www.sonos.com/en/software/release/9-2

and covered extremely here in a thread by Ryan S:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-9-2-automatic-updates-volume-limits-desktop-dock-and-more-6813791

Not sure anyone could really expect much more notification than what the company provided on that particular obsolescence.

I gave my Dock and accompanying Apple iPod away to a young lad to use as storage of their own music and told them to just use the old Dock as a charger.

I can still access all the music that was on my iPod device via the Sonos App and the free Google Music Service. It’s also available via my networked computer library and my local NAS Box. So not really lost that much in real terms... I perhaps miss the CR100 Controller more, but even that has not caused me to lose much functionality, as I mostly use other software controllers these days including an Amazon Fire 7 tablet, currently available for less than £30 in the Black Friday Sale.

I can truly say I have lost out far more through the obsolescence of devices by other manufacturers, in comparison to what Sonos may have done so far and I have gained during these Sonos losses as I now have both 'AirPlay' and 'voice control' and those things are proving to be extremely useful.

Did I mention that I got a £100 voucher from Sonos for my old CR100 controller ...???
The most frustrating thing about this whole situation for me is that I had NO idea that this update would brick my dock. I just assumed it would be a standard stability update. I am used to software updates as being “harmless” per se. I would certainly never assume a company would disable a product. Especially a device within an infrastructure that doesn’t even include any of its newer devices that provide “better” or similar functionality such as Airplay 2. Updates that essentially are useless for my particular set up. Guess I can’t assume the same of Sonos in the future.

I understand that it’s technically “my bad” for not reading the update notes (I’m sure I’m not alone on that front though). Is it not somehow possible that an update that completely disables a component could somehow include a function that would search a user’s device list and at least trigger a warning window? At the very least then you have offered up a safety-net of sorts. If I somehow accidentally triggered the update after that I’d be frustrated with myself - not with a company that, up until this morning, was always my one and only recommendation for friends or family looking for great home audio solutions. From now on, when people visit my home and comment on the great sound - any Sonos recommendation will always carry with it a caveat.

In the end, the lack of good faith here is what really bothers me. A reversal of the update is not even possible which is more disheartening. I guess that since dock users don’t really add up to a substantial percentage of Sonos customers then any sort of action or attention to this is unlikely. Especially since we’re already invested into their walled garden.

Such a shame.
Yes, sonos are real keen to send you an email to your sonos inbox about new sales for a coloured speaker, but no warning the 9.2 upgrade will kill your dock. And to catch your further they add new auto-update feature to hide future death knolls even more.
Poor show sonos..

It's far more simple - people don't read their emails.
Poor show sonos..

It's far more simple - people don't read their emails.
As stated, I’m a registered user and did not receive the email. Just marketing of new products.
Check here (scroll down), if you've signed up for email notifications.
As stated, I’m a registered user and did not receive the email. Just marketing of new products.
Check here (scroll down), if you've signed up for email notifications.

I removed my previous posts after again searching and finding the email within my inbox’s automatic categorization as marketing since it’s from the same sender. I struggle to see how an email likely buried within ads and promotions is a reasonable offering in advance of launching an update that removes a products usefulness.

I guess it’s sufficiently done the trick as it’s being as it’s been offered up as just that (along with a random forum post) by folks within this thread.
I removed my previous posts after again searching and finding the email within my inbox’s automatic categorization as marketing since it’s from the same sender. I struggle to see how an email likely buried within ads and promotions is a reasonable offering in advance of launching an update that removes a products usefulness.
A spam filter is not able to distinguish between marketing and 'serious' emails from the same sender.
A spam filter is not able to distinguish between marketing and 'serious' emails from the same sender.

Sigh
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hence it should go to your sonos app in box on the controller and stay there, not disappear when you have read it once, with a red dot telling you to read it first before the update will work.
I feel that a lot more effort could be put into this, but then sonos always wants you to update no matter what the outcome is to you, as they want to sell you new products which if you chose to not update, they could never sell you anything again. I can see the marketing guys in the meeting, so you want to spend money on a warning that could prevent all future sales....voted down...
I saw the e-mail from Sonos informing me that if I updated the firmware on my Sonos equipment, it would render my Sonos Dock obsolete. I decided to avoid installing the new firmware each time the app prompted me. This worked fine until today.

Apparently, the latest version of the Sonos app doesn't allow the user to bypass the firmware update process. Both my iPad and iPhone can no longer be used to control my Sonos system unless I choose to update the firmware. Sonos could have done a better job informing me that I should stop updating the Sonos App in addition to the firmware.

I don't understand why the Sonos App Developers needed to remove the bypass option. I hope that they can bring this option back in the next app update so I can control my system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
it is clear that Sonos deliberately choose NOT to put critical messages in the Update notification strings displayed prior to the updates. It was true for the dock and for the recent lobotomization of the Desktop controllers.

The CR100 change on the other hand actually delivered a warning to the effected devices in the release prior to the one that nuked them, but since then they appear to have stopped caring.
Sonos, you need to issue a credit to all registered Dock owners. The credit will lessen the sting of taking away a device that most of us still used daily. As an owner of your products, 17+speakers, I worry that the day will come when you will stop supporting speakers, not just controls, docks and bridges. Maybe the day will come where, as an android user, I will be required to switch to Apple in order to continue using my system; already, I am at a disadvantage, because I do not have Truplay capabilities, (Come-up with a damn plug in microphone that we can purchase to use truplay). With the downgrade of Desktop capabilities, and functions, it is not to hard to foresee, Android being kicked to the curb, some years down the road.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos, you need to issue a credit to all registered Dock owners

They already did this. I used my $100 credit to get a Boost, to replace my aging Bridge.
Sonos, you need to issue a credit to all registered Dock owners

They already did this. I used my $100 credit to get a Boost, to replace my aging Bridge.

That was for the CR-100, not the Dock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh duh, so it was, my bad. I still use my Dock to charge my not-at-all-useful iPhone 4.
Yes, I've been victimised by the unavoidable update trick. I'm crazed by the abandonment of the dock because it was my route around the library limits. It's interesting that Sonos seems to have hit their most devoted customers, people like me with well over 20 Sonos products. I, too, enthusiastically endorsed Sonos to my friends, many of whom are now users. I won't endorse Sonos again until the dock's functionality is returned.