Update on Sonos Dock functionality

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11539 replies
We've recently reached out to our customers with a Sonos Dock with an important message that I've included below. 

Introduced in 2010, the Sonos Dock provided a way to play music directly from Apple devices to Sonos speakers without the need of a wireless connection or the Sonos app. Today, many of the devices the Dock was originally designed to work with are no longer supported by Apple. We support Sonos products for as long as possible, however, supporting the Dock within the modern Sonos system is no longer sustainable. 

With our upcoming software update in October, we will discontinue support for the Dock as a Sonos playback device. When you accept the software update, your Dock will no longer connect to Sonos to play music (although it will still charge compatible Apple devices). 

To play music contained on your Apple devices on Sonos moving forward, you will need to connect via line-in to compatible Sonos products. Compatible products include Play:5, Connect, and Connect:Amp. 

Alternatively, if you have a device that supports the Sonos app, you can play directly from your local music library (i.e. iTunes) to Sonos. Please visit our how-to guide or reach out to our Care team. 

While there are actions you can take to avoid future Sonos updates, failing to keep your Sonos software current may impact your ability to enjoy the full benefits of Sonos.

For more information, please see here

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ryan, you have created a new thread on this from my original post thus deleting any comments so I will repeat my original post: Excuse me, I have just received an email from Sonos telling me that they are going to make my Sonos Dock, that I bought off them a few years ago, obsolete. They are actively making something that I bought off them obsolete, it works perfectly now, but after the software update in October they inform me it will no longer work within the Sonos system. I should ask for my money back, surely? And this comes from a company that prided itself on never making obsolete their early components. Actually flabbergasted by this announcement and really not at all impressed, bloody livid actually. Sonos, seriously reconsider this bloody stupid decision. Bring back MacFarlane, sonos needs you, desperately!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for reposting, Chas. The thread is still here, and won't be deleted. But it's been closed for comments. It's best to keep the discussion in one main thread so that anyone looking for answers doesn't have to go digging around on the community.

Regarding your question, the Dock was originally released in 2010 to support Apple iPods and iPhones with the 30-pin connector, which are no longer supported by Apple. Since then, we have introduced alternate ways to listen to local files through software to ensure that customers benefiting from this feature can continue to enjoy their music on Sonos. Because of this, we are not offering a refund. If you have any questions, please reach out to our customer care team and they will happily discuss your specific use case. They can help you get the music into Sonos in an alternative way.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
It doesn't matter if Apple still supports it Ryan, because it still works and it should still work. It is outrageous that Sonos has decided to make something it sold to me obsolete when it clearly works to this day. I suggest less of the arrogance. With your competition I don't think you can afford it! In fact, reading the news, you can't!
Userlevel 2
This is utterly rediculous Sonos. That you’ve chosen to brick this hardware resulting in your user base having to throw all these Docks in landfill is poor form in the extreme and a disgraceful approach to caring for the environment.

Will the first gen Play 5 be the next thing you brick just because you don’t want to support it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As I said in the other topic, (link in Ryan's post above) folks impacted by the Dock question would be well served to review the similar topics on the CR-100 end of life. If nothing else it will help you understand Sonos' position and why they do things like this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Not relevant @Stanley_4, as they say the dock can still charge, so your reasoning over the battery is ...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not so much the battery issue, which the Dock doesn't have, more Sonos' position on reversing the change and keeping the Dock, blocking software updates to preserve the Dock and reverting to older software for restoring the Dock if you do upgrade.

I think the battery issue was a bit lame too, although it is in line with Sonos' position that you can't open any of the devices and expect any support from Sonos after that.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm not pleased with this either (to say it politely). I have two Docks that I still use every day! And I don't want them turned into iPod chargers.
I am able to play music through all the "modern" ways but I am not using them. The reason? All those fancy new Apple devices that use Airplay miss the most important feature: Playing albums randomly. The people working at Apple (and Sonos) just won't understand that people actually want to play music by album.
I also still use the CR200, although it's functionality has been very much crippled by the latest updates. That's probably the next legacy device that they will abandon.

Recently I bought two Sonos One speakers. Seriously thinking about just returning them while I still can and to stop investing any more money in the Sonos system. Not that Sonos cares of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There is the "other option" to this notice, stock up on all the Sonos gear you'll ever want before the update and then block updates to preserve the old software and functions. The CR-100 topics have some good advice on blocking updates if you go that route.

I do like the random albums options, it would solve the issues with the current system where you end up with multiple copies of the same song (from different albums) being played back-to-back. Why not submit that as a suggestion in another topic so I can Like it?
Good Riddance!!
Userlevel 3
Badge
As said, I have some of the most recent devices and some of the legacy devices. I could easily block out future updates, but this would also prevent me using all the new functionality they add in the future. So "resistance is futile". :8

I have suggested adding the album shuffle option a lot of times. To Sonos, Apple and some other brands.
None of the current mobile players support album shuffle anymore. They only know track shuffle. That's why I still use my iPod Classics.

Only iTunes still supports Album shuffle. If using Airplay to play music to Sonos One from iTunes would work properly then that would be an alternative to the dock.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Good Riddance!!excuse me why?
Userlevel 1
I'm very disappointed in Sonos. Basically planned obsolescence. Surely it's not impossible to configure the software to allow the dock to continue working whilst not impacting the other developments. And the money I spent on a product that works fine and does what I need it to...wasted. Hardly a customer-first attitude. Could have softened the blow by allowing trade-in value on new Sonos purchases maybe....at least then I don't feel like the couple of hundred pounds I spent on docks isn't totally wasted. Please reconsider, compensate or invest in better SWEs who can upgrade existing tech without killing older tech.
Userlevel 1
I too am significantly bothered by this move. The Dock is by far one of the best extensions of Sonos beyond streaming from the Internet. Some of us limit or do not purchase streaming services and have been very happily using our iPod Classics and other, old, 30-pin devices to stream our own, purchased, music collection. Just because Apple has killed 30-pin devices doesn't mean that our investment in them doesn't continue to provide utility. I find it very odd that a device like the Dock can't become some kind of legacy code in the Sonos codebase which just operates in the background while new code for new features is built around it. If Sonos had a really good explanation as to why the Dock was a burden to future development, I might take this a with a little less indignation, but the email, along with some of the comments by Sonos staffers here basically say thing more than "we are ending support, have a good life". I'd like to think that Sonos can back away from the precipice on this one and let us Dock owners and users continue using the Dock and our old iPods as music sources.
Does the Dock still work for extending Sonosnet?
Userlevel 1
I suspect that it will not if it is no longer going to receive software updates or be available in the Sonos software for use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Following the update, the Dock will not be extending SonosNet.
Oh! It will still charge my ipod! Geez, thanks! Come on Sonos! It’s nice piece of hardware. I bought it inmediately after buying the speakers because i saw how handy it would be (and still is) for my family and me. You know that if we block system updates we’ll be screwed and wont be able to fully use the Sonos app. I think this is a selfish act from you. I’m very disappointed and makes think which Sonos hardware will be next.

Regarding your question, the Dock was originally released in 2010 to support Apple iPods and iPhones with the 30-pin connector, which are no longer supported by Apple. Since then, we have introduced alternate ways to listen to local files through software to ensure that customers benefiting from this feature can continue to enjoy their music on Sonos. Because of this, we are not offering a refund. If you have any questions, please reach out to our customer care team and they will happily discuss your specific use case. They can help you get the music into Sonos in an alternative way.

It isn't that Apple isn't supporting the 30 pin, it is that they are not making products with that connector anymore. And a cable adapter to 30 pin is still sold.
Help me understand how I can now support this use case: Using a dock set to autoplay with a play 1 unit, I can use the play 1 away from home where there is no WiFi available. All I need is mains power for the play 1 and for the dock.
Userlevel 1
Oh! It will still charge my ipod! Geez, thanks! Come on Sonos! It’s nice piece of hardware. I bought it inmediately after buying the speakers because i saw how handy it would be (and still is) for my family and me. You know that if we block system updates we’ll be screwed and wont be able to fully use the Sonos app. I think this is a selfish act from you. I’m very disappointed and makes think which Sonos hardware will be next.
I was thinking that too. A great, a rather expensive, task specific, 30-pin dock charger. How useful after all these years of it playing music, at least it will serve as a power source for an iPod that can't be streamed through Sonos.

What I'd like to know is what code or procedure inside the Sonos system is so arduous to maintain with regard to the dock that discontinuing its support is the only answer.
There is little that annoys me more than companies making arbitrary decisions such as this. Rendering a perfectly fit for purpose product useless overnight without consultation is not acceptable and Sonos are now a company that I do not wish to be associated with. Unlike 9 years ago when I bought my first Sonos bit of kit, there are now other options on the market. Perhaps it’s time to explore them.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I am still very upset about this.
I have already packed up the new Sonos speakers we recently bought. They will be returned to the store today to get a refund.
We will keep using the older ones, until Sonos decides it's time to turn them into expensive paperweights.
But I definitely will not buy any additional Sonos product again.

They always ramble on about their great customer service, but this proves they really don't care about their customers.
This is a disgusting decision, you are actively stopping a functionality you once lorded as a highlight of Sonos. Not to mention the environmental factor. I and every other Dock owner deserve a refund or for you to maintain functionality, you don’t even have to update it, just MAINTAIN functionality. Apple still support 30 pin, go in to an apple store and you’ll find adapters, and EVERY device they have made can still be reverted to a software version that WORKS......
Userlevel 3
Badge
If you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter the Dock even works with all devices that have a lightning port. Up to the latest iPhone and iPad models. So the Dock works perfectly well with devices that are still supported by Apple. It's Sonos that is dropping support, not Apple.
If you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter the Dock even works with all devices that have a lightning port. Up to the latest iPhone and iPad models. So the Dock works perfectly well with devices that are still supported by Apple. It's Sonos that is dropping support, not Apple.

Yeah I think we know that, the problem is that Sonos are going to stop the Dock sending to any device that gives sound!!!