Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I stated Sonos could, and I believe be on shacky ground, if Sonos does not fulfill Google integration and going forward if the two players in voice assistance decide to go it along with their product lines. I believe voice assistance will only get bigger in the future. And music is a natural fit for that service.

I agree with this. If Sonos doesn't do GA integration and Google and Amazon decide to go it alone with their products, Sonos is on shaky ground. The problem is, there is absolutely no reason to believe either of those two things will happen.

As I stated this is a risk.

What is likely to happen is somewhere in the middle. GA Integration will happen, but there will some features Google keeps to itself, the same thing as Amazon. Both Google and Amazon will (and have) developed more speaker products to cover the market better, but neither have attempted to shut out the rest of the market.

Possibly but time will tell if financial clout and greed win out.

As I stated before, Google and Amazon will get a lot of backlash if they try and use their positions to monopolize the market. From customers. And quite possible from anti-trust laws various governments hold.

Didn't stop Apple locking there speaker to Apple hardware and Apple music. This failed as they couldn't sell enough speakers with only one music streaming service Apple. But this was not subject to anti competitive investigation.
I don't doubt GA will eventually be done, and we will all be happy to ditch useless Alexa. And I'm sure folks at Sonos are MORE eager than us to get this done and out.

What I don't understand is the lack of communication. I'll assume that they are (yet again) hitting more road blocks than they expected. Let's hope it comes out by the end of 2019.

Sonos very rarely comment on current development. Their silence on Google Assistant is not unprecedented, it is in fact, the norm.
At CES Jan 2019 in Las Vegas, Sonos said during the demo of GA on Sonos, that they were having both a private beta and then a public selected beta and invited users to apply to help test, using the usual survey application etc. .. so those tests will surely take some time to do.

I seem to recall that the Alexa integration came out after 3 months of public testing and it then remained in beta for a very long time after that, with some public criticism that it perhaps wasn’t truly ready when released. Users have then complained about the number of updates to the various Apps, both Sonos and Alexa.

So my guess is Sonos/Google want to make sure this next voice assistant integration hits the ground running-well, in the first instance, with far less glitches, so the updates that then follow, will perhaps be somewhat less frequent and possibly better tested and organised.

On a slightly separate note, I personally think the Amazon Integration with its Alexa Enabled auto-grouping/ungrouping feature of Sonos Rooms is now working great... I have very few complaints about the way Sonos/Amazon Alexa integration currently works, but it has taken a good many months of development work, by all sides, to get that to where it is now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Didn't stop Apple locking there speaker to Apple hardware and Apple music. This failed as they couldn't sell enough speakers with only one music streaming service Apple. But this was not subject to anti competitive investigation.

Apple has always been a closed system for the most part. It's not a matter of Apple sharing access to their ecosystem then removing it. For the most part Apple hasn't had a full monopoly on the markets they play in. They did with ipods and iphones for a while, but they never really took action to lock out competition. And, as you pointed out, Apple stratety with the Homepod isn't working so well. You can't really say for sure that it's because they only support Apple music, but it's a logical argument.

I think Amazon or Google granting Sonos access to their voice services, and they removing it, clearly for the reason of pushing their products would raise some anti-trust flags.

As far as having an opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's also fair to critique those opinions when they are based on scenarios that aren't really likely to happen.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos very rarely comment on current development. Their silence on Google Assistant is not unprecedented, it is in fact, the norm.[/quote]

It maybe the norm but it has certainly stopped me from making any purchases for the past year.

It maybe the norm but it has certainly stopped me from making any purchases for the past year.

I'm sure that type of response is factored into Sonos' PR choices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
"We will share an update in early 2019."
LOL! Good one! Great customer service! Being over 5 months late and not updating your customers! Bravo!
Badge
I see Sonos announced that Google assist support is rolling out next week in USA only for now. Saw this reported on the verge.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
It was announced a few hours after my reply, yes. Yet, why only US, I live outside the US yet my GA is set to US English. ALso, why only Beam and One, I have already a lot of Google Homes, and want to control my other Sonos speakers via them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It was announced a few hours after my reply, yes. Yet, why only US, I live outside the US yet my GA is set to US English. ALso, why only Beam and One, I have already a lot of Google Homes, and want to control my other Sonos speakers via them.

i don't think the statement means a Google Home product can't control Sonos speakers. It means that only the One and Beam have built in voice assistants to accommodate integration. Hopefully, we can get clarification soon.
A spokesperson declined to share additional details on the timing Assistant support for legacy Sonos speakers, saying that the company would share more next week, but CEO Patrick Spence suggested that this functionality was definitely coming as well: “If you have a Google Home device, you will be able to use that to control your Sonos,” Spence said.

Yes, Google Home devices will be able to control legacy Sonos speakers.

So the question is: Pair of Play:1's + Home Hub @ $400, or pair of SONOS One's @ $400. For me, no brainer. The Home Hub / Play:1's combo offers FAR more functionality at the same price, for anywhere other than the main listening room, which would more likely be a Beam or Amp.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Yet, why only US, I live outside the US yet my GA is set to US English. ALso, why only Beam and One, I have already a lot of Google Homes, and want to control my other Sonos speakers via them.

However well they test in the Beta, there are likely to be some bugs. Universal release is a big issue to support; release to one country (albeit with a range of accents) lets them be sure the release is robust. Assuming it is (and why not let the Americans do the final testing 😛 ) I would expect other countries to be rolled out fairly quickly.
Want Alexa and GA BOTH on your Sonos Ones? No problem, just a few simple steps, lol:

https://youtu.be/oP3LDKa-MNQ

No waiting, available today, including in UK and Canada...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
ALso, why only Beam and One

Probably because those are the only Sonos products with microphones?
Badge +3
So now I wonder how and if we can use Apple Music with Sonos via GA being that Google Home cannot currently talk to Apple Music.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
So now I wonder how and if we can use Apple Music with Sonos via GA being that Google Home cannot currently talk to Apple Music.Almost certainly you will not be able to start playing Apple Music by voice. But if you start it with the Sonos App, then GA will be able to pause, resume, change the volume, etc.
Badge +5
Should answer a lot of questions.
Badge
It's here!!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
It's here!!!!

If you live in America