Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos

Show first post

124 replies

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Bluetooth speakers have a use for some people, others prefer the Sonos ecosystem.

No, I'm not. These aren't "Bluetooth speakers", they're smart speakers with Google Assistant fully integrated, including multi-room and stereo pairing. They do things appropriate to certain use cases that Sonos can't, and therefore I use them instead of Sonos in those instances.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Ok, fair enough I wish you well with your speakers and hope you continue to enjoy them
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So, while I still love my Sonos, there are things Sonos can’t do, which other products do extremely well, thus I have multiple systems.

And that's great. Maybe @Niklas_6 can follow your lead and get the setup he/she's looking for.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Google announced today that YouTube Music will have a free subscription option for smart speakers. This good have a link to YouTube Music help. Upon inspection I found the following information.

"You can now use YouTube Music on smart speakers such as Google Home speakers, Google Pixel Buds, Sonos, Bose, and Polk devices, and many others.

Smart speakers will stream music for you that is closely related to the album, song, or playlist that you request. They cannot play specific requests or repeat songs. However, you can change radio stations to listen to different music and skip to the next song up to 6 times per hour.

Note: YouTube Music Premium members can listen ad-free on smart speakers, and request albums, songs, and playlists on-demand. Check out our paid membership options to explore other membership benefits and sign-up.

In some markets, YouTube Music will be your default music streaming services on Google Home devices. If it’s not your default, you can change your music service settings"

This may be a trying error by Google, but this help section lists Sonos as a smart speaker with Google Assistant?
Well, at least you can now use Josh.ai with Sonos, if you can afford it, lol.

https://www.dealerscope.com/article/josh-ai-introduces-voicecast-on-sonos/
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Google announced today that YouTube Music will have a free subscription option for smart speakers. This good have a link to YouTube Music help. Upon inspection I found the following information.

"You can now use YouTube Music on smart speakers such as Google Home speakers, Google Pixel Buds, Sonos, Bose, and Polk devices, and many others.

This may be a trying error by Google, but this help section lists Sonos as a smart speaker with Google Assistant?

It's saying it's a Smart Speaker that can use Youtube Music. Nothing in your quoted post even mentions Google Assistant.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
If this does not include Google Assistant then what other way can you use Sonos to voice control YouTube Music. At present you can use the Sonos app, but this does not allow voice control.

So explain how to play YouTube Music by voice on Sonos? All the other speakers listed in the Google blog have Google Assistant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it is a pandora type free tier for YouTube music for Google Assistant capable devices. Listing Sonos in the mix I'm not sure if you will be able to do it via the controller app (possible) but most likely they include Sonos in that release name as far as google assistant coming to Sonos and thus the free Pandora type YouTube Music.
Amazon just announced a free, ad-supported tier as well.

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/entertainment/alexa-play-music
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I take issue with statistics purporting that local music storage and playback is "small and decreasing." When you make it as hard as possible for people to play local music and make it as easy as possible to stream it, you are influencing behaviour and skewing statistics.

The statistic is true outside of Sonos users as well as inside, and it was true before Sonos ever had any voice control capabilities. And Sonos didn't do anything to make local playback of music harder in any way, it's the same as it's always been. Well, it's actually slight easier in that you can control volume, pause/resume skip track, of local music by voice, you just can't initiate play, This is surely not Sonos decision either, but Amazon's.

Your point is valid in the sense that local libraries would be in higher use if streaming services and voice control were not so convenient and easy to use, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I would make a "computer replacing typewriter" analogy, but it isn't a great analogy since local libraries do have some advantages over streaming services, while typewriter's have almost no advantage over computers. I'm not at wishing that the use of local libraries diminish further, but I also don't think Sonos, or anyone else, should intentionally make using streaming service less convenient in an attempt to preserve local libaries.

For example, there are many times when I want to play local music but if I am too busy to get my hands on a controller and use voice command, I end up streaming. It is dangerous and wasteful to rely on streaming when you own a piece of music.

Then make the effort to pick up the controller if you feel it's important to use your local library. Again, the presents of an alternative/easier option doesn't make your preferred option any harder.

In fairness Sonos is not the only player in this space that is making local music playback relatively more difficult or absolutely more difficult. My taking issue with these streaming vs. local/owned music statistics remains with the additional clarification that it's not solely due to the Sonos company's decisions.

Regarding difficulty, you are right that absolute difficulty does not change but relative difficulty does and I would argue that relative difficulty is a more relevant standard to use when making the argument for Sonos to maintain streaming/local parity in feature-development.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

In fairness Sonos is not the only player in this space that is making local music playback relatively more difficult or absolutely more difficult. My taking issue with these streaming vs. local/owned music statistics remains with the additional clarification that it's not solely due to the Sonos company's decisions.

I'd say Sonos has done what it can reasonably can for local music playback. i doubt they had much chance of convincing Amazon or Google that support of local music was an absolute necessity. After all, 99% (estimate) of the voice control music devices out their don't do local music playback.

Regarding difficulty, you are right that absolute difficulty does not change but relative difficulty does and I would argue that relative difficulty is a more relevant standard to use when making the argument for Sonos to maintain streaming/local parity in feature-development.

So Sonos shouldn't improve the functionality/ease of use of streaming services unless they can also improve local libraries in the same manner? I can't accept that argument. I get what your saying in that streaming is going to be preferred over ease of use, and that will sometimes sacrifice quality, principle of ownership, or whatever inherent value local libraries has. I just don't think that means Sonos or any other company is at fault for anyway.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
So the Blog update states: "We look forward to sharing another update in early 2019!"

Are we in early 2019 yet????
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
depends on how you define early . some companies define early as anytime in the first half of the year
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In relation to Google Assistant - Sonos have become a complete joke! They admitted they were way late to the party. And are even later now. With the reach, financial power of Google & Amazon it's only a matter of time before they reach the conclusion that then don't need Sonos for voice integration. I believe both companies will further develop their music produce line. Causing Sonos to stagnant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So the Blog update states: "We look forward to sharing another update in early 2019!"

Are we in early 2019 yet????

Clearly stretching the definition at this point. Since Google is having their I/O conference tomorrow, I'm thinking we'll get an update then.

With the reach, financial power of Google & Amazon it's only a matter of time before they reach the conclusion that then don't need Sonos for voice integration.

Not sure what you mean by this. They never needed Sonos for voice integration. If reports can be trusted, Google wasn't even really a fan of working with Sonos on this. What Sonos does offer is a better speakers (in most cases) and more robust multi room audio.

I believe both companies will further develop their music produce line. Causing Sonos to stagnant.

"music produce line"? If you mean streaming music services, that wouldn't hurt Sonos at all. If you mean smart speaker products, yes, they will. They have. It be interesting to see how well their more high end speakers have been doing in the market. I have a feeling it's going to be a case of their being enough room in the market for several players.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As you state Google worked with Sonos for integrating Google Assistant as did Amazon. Sonos admitted that Amazon could pull Alexa at short notice, and if Google Assistant even launched on Sonos I'm sure Google could also pull their product at short notice. If these company's develop comparable products they have the finances to undercut Sonos.

Regarding multi room audio Sonos patents will expire sometime then their main differential has gone. Just believe long term Sonos are on shacky ground.
As you state Google worked with Sonos for integrating Google Assistant as did Amazon. Sonos admitted that Amazon could pull Alexa at short notice, and if Google Assistant even launched on Sonos I'm sure Google could also pull their product at short notice. If these company's develop comparable products they have the finances to undercut Sonos.

Regarding multi room audio Sonos patents will expire sometime then their main differential has gone. Just believe long term Sonos are on shacky ground.

Then what are you doing here? If I believed my investment was on "shacky (sic) ground", I would have sold it on e-Bay while it still held some value. Instead, you are here clamoring for Google Assistant support, presumably so you can continue using a product you feel is inevitably doomed? Call me confused. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There is no reason to think GA integration won't happen. Neither Sonos or Google has hinted at that, they've actually both stated it's still coming and that beta testing is happening. Not sure why you would imply that it's in doubt.

As far as the contracts, you also have to remember that Google and Amazon are more in the business of getting you onto to their ecosystems with their products as they are selling the VA products. Amazon in particular has thier VA on numerous other speakers besides Sonos. If either of them decided to pull out in favor of their own products, they are going to get a lot of rather unhappy customers who are will jutst switch to the other assistant in response, rather than buy all new gear. Sonos remains to hold some leverage here as long as they have significant market share.

How much longer do they have?
"music produce line"? If you mean streaming music services, that wouldn't hurt Sonos at all. If you mean smart speaker products, yes, they will. They have. It be interesting to see how well their more high end speakers have been doing in the market. I have a feeling it's going to be a case of their being enough room in the market for several players.As a customer, I would welcome such competition, because it often drives the technology development forward at a much faster pace, whilst keeping prices competitive for the consumer... so bring it on. ?

The more the merrier and there is definitely room in the market place for this to happen and Sonos probably already hold many important key patents in this business area, that will surely keep them up there on the podium.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I stated Sonos could, and I believe be on shacky ground, if Sonos does not fulfill Google integration and going forward if the two players in voice assistance decide to go it along with their product lines. I believe voice assistance will only get bigger in the future. And music is a natural fit for that service.

I love my Sonos speakers, but I'm open to the pitfalls going forward.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I stated Sonos could, and I believe be on shacky ground, if Sonos does not fulfill Google integration and going forward if the two players in voice assistance decide to go it along with their product lines. I believe voice assistance will only get bigger in the future. And music is a natural fit for that service.

I agree with this. If Sonos doesn't do GA integration and Google and Amazon decide to go it alone with their products, Sonos is on shaky ground. The problem is, there is absolutely no reason to believe either of those two things will happen.

What is likely to happen is somewhere in the middle. GA Integration will happen, but there will some features Google keeps to itself, the same thing as Amazon. Both Google and Amazon will (and have) developed more speaker products to cover the market better, but neither have attempted to shut out the rest of the market.

As I stated before, Google and Amazon will get a lot of backlash if they try and use their positions to monopolize the market. From customers. And quite possible from anti-trust laws various governments hold.

I love my Sonos speakers, but I'm open to the pitfalls going forward.

So this is all FUD, meant to scare people so they put pressure on Sonos to deliver GA support sooner?

Thought so. Luckily, Sonos doesn't fall for that kind of stuff. They deliver when ready, not when threatened by FUD.

And I know English may be a second language, but the word is "shaky".
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just giving my view and my posts have been polite. Just because you have a differing view view, it does not need or warrent caustic comments. I just have a different view and yes at the moment I'm keeping with the speakers but the delay has stopped my purchase of the Beam. And two months ago Google massively discounted the Max. I was very tempted but held off. If that offer comes back later in the year and there is no addition of Google Assistant by Sonos I will be off to Google speakers.
Just giving my view and my posts have been polite. Just because you have a differing view view, it does not need or warrent caustic comments. I just have a different view and yes at the moment I'm keeping with the speakers but the delay has stopped my purchase of the Beam. And two months ago Google massively discounted the Max. I was very tempted but held off. If that offer comes back later in the year and there is no addition of Google Assistant by Sonos I will be off to Google speakers.

No response to the measured and rational analysis of the market by melvimbe above, just more threats?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I don't doubt GA will eventually be done, and we will all be happy to ditch useless Alexa. And I'm sure folks at Sonos are MORE eager than us to get this done and out.

What I don't understand is the lack of communication. I'll assume that they are (yet again) hitting more road blocks than they expected. Let's hope it comes out by the end of 2019.