Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos

Show first post

124 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Will Google Assistant support playing from the local library? It is something many people have been expecting since Alexa support.

“Many people” can expect what they wish, but until Google supports this (they don’t now), extremely unlikely Sonos will.

I don't think Google has to support the feature on their own devices before it gets supported on Sonos. Obviously, Sonos speakers are already equipped to play from local source, while Google speakers are not. Implementing on Google means more than just sending a command, it's actual implementing actual execution. With a Google/Sonos integration, it's just telling a Sonos speaker what to do, as they speaker already knows how to do it.

I do agree though that the feature is far from guaranteed, as the volume of customers playing from local libraries is rather small and decreasing. However, it could still be implemented as something Google uses to get an edge over the Amazon.
I think it would require the same as with Alexa: uploading, if not the actual music files, at least the file paths of the music library in text format to the IT cloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think it would require the same as with Alexa: uploading, if not the actual music files, at least the file paths of the music library in text format to the IT cloud.

No it doesn't. Putting an index in the cloud (Sonos or Amazon) might be a performance improvement, but far from required.

Right now with Alexa, the Alexa could doesn't pass anything to the Sonos cloud that it does not first 'understand'. However, has a Sonos smart skill setup and specified that they wanted to play from local library (by name or by default), than Alexa could just pass the command on to Sonos to interpret, and possibly pass a confirmation or error back to Alexa. Putting an index in the Sonos or Alexa cloud only means that the command can validated at an earlier step in the process.
The 'Sonos Music Library Smart Skill' would need to know where to fetch the requested music file(s) from.
Is there already a date when the integration is available for all users?
Is there already a date when the integration is available for all users?The latest announcement is shown here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/google-assistant-update/
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there already a date when the integration is available for all users?The latest announcement is shown here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/google-assistant-update/

Kind of telling when they purposely fail to put a date on their posts. Time just keeps slip sliding away...

On Edit, actually if you drill out on that blog, you can scroll around and find that this was posted on Nov 1, 2018. (Important to state the year here, lol). So, that was going on 4 MONTHS ago. Not sure if the CES statement was the 'Early 2019 Update', but still not much evidence of any progress.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Blog was dated 1st November 2018.

Final line in blog 'Stay tuned. We look forward to sharing another update in early 2019!'

I don't regard 3rd March 2019 as update early 2019.

Sonos are really losing faith of users regarding this issue. I will wait until it launches, if it ever does, if it's not full Google Assistant integration after this time them I will be off to another maker of music systems.

Purchased in Dec. 2017 with the understanding that Google Assistant would be integrated in early 2018. We are now into 2nd quarter for 2019. Feeling ripped off!!! Alexa is slightly better than useless.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Will Google Assistant support playing from the local library? It is something many people have been expecting since Alexa support.

“Many people” can expect what they wish, but until Google supports this (they don’t now), extremely unlikely Sonos will.

I don't think Google has to support the feature on their own devices before it gets supported on Sonos. Obviously, Sonos speakers are already equipped to play from local source, while Google speakers are not. Implementing on Google means more than just sending a command, it's actual implementing actual execution. With a Google/Sonos integration, it's just telling a Sonos speaker what to do, as they speaker already knows how to do it.

I do agree though that the feature is far from guaranteed, as the volume of customers playing from local libraries is rather small and decreasing. However, it could still be implemented as something Google uses to get an edge over the Amazon.

I take issue with statistics purporting that local music storage and playback is "small and decreasing." When you make it as hard as possible for people to play local music and make it as easy as possible to stream it, you are influencing behaviour and skewing statistics. For example, there are many times when I want to play local music but if I am too busy to get my hands on a controller and use voice command, I end up streaming. It is dangerous and wasteful to rely on streaming when you own a piece of music.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
i consider early 2019 to be the first quarter of 2019 i.e. the first 4 months . mid 2019 to be Q2 late 2019 to be Q3 and end of 2019 to be Q4 so they are still on time in my book
and sometimes things do not go as smoothly as planned so it still will happen
Badge +5
Having extensively worked alongside Google myself in the past, and without having any real confirmation, I'd still wager Google is mostly responsible for this delay.

That said, I'm convinced Sonos would like to see GA support available as soon as it's stable enough to release. Sonos doesn't sleep without taking this concern to bed with them, I'm sure. Patience is rewarding, folks. Shouldn't be much longer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I take issue with statistics purporting that local music storage and playback is "small and decreasing." When you make it as hard as possible for people to play local music and make it as easy as possible to stream it, you are influencing behaviour and skewing statistics.

The statistic is true outside of Sonos users as well as inside, and it was true before Sonos ever had any voice control capabilities. And Sonos didn't do anything to make local playback of music harder in any way, it's the same as it's always been. Well, it's actually slight easier in that you can control volume, pause/resume skip track, of local music by voice, you just can't initiate play, This is surely not Sonos decision either, but Amazon's.

Your point is valid in the sense that local libraries would be in higher use if streaming services and voice control were not so convenient and easy to use, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I would make a "computer replacing typewriter" analogy, but it isn't a great analogy since local libraries do have some advantages over streaming services, while typewriter's have almost no advantage over computers. I'm not at wishing that the use of local libraries diminish further, but I also don't think Sonos, or anyone else, should intentionally make using streaming service less convenient in an attempt to preserve local libaries.

For example, there are many times when I want to play local music but if I am too busy to get my hands on a controller and use voice command, I end up streaming. It is dangerous and wasteful to rely on streaming when you own a piece of music.

Then make the effort to pick up the controller if you feel it's important to use your local library. Again, the presents of an alternative/easier option doesn't make your preferred option any harder.
i consider early 2019 to be the first quarter of 2019 i.e. the first 4 months .

Um, a quarter has 3 months, at least here on planet earth. 🆒
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
i consider early 2019 to be the first quarter of 2019 i.e. the first 4 months .

Um, a quarter has 3 months, at least here on planet earth. 🆒

lol yep i suck a maths my bad thank you for correcting me
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I still struggle to understand why it is so hard to use voice to control local library playback. if Alexa / Google has converted speach to text, passed text command to Sonos cloud which then instructs the Sonos player what to do why cannot the command "play local playlist" or "play local Dave Brubeck" be used. A short conversation between the cloud and the player to confirm existence of playlist/ artist etc would enable the cloud to send an appropriate command to the player in the same / similar way as an existing controller.
There's liable to be legal privacy issues across multiple jurisdictions, as you're basically providing access to data stored on your hard drive.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sorry Airgetlem I don't see that argument at all. There are a number of instance, remote support control of your computer would be one, where the outside world has access to your local resources to a far greater degree than would be required for local music playback. However this is way off topic now. Next time I feel frustrated about this I'll open up a separate thread.
I don't take disagreement as a personal affront, and it was just an opinion based on my own experience with gathering legal authorization for various music files within a game. A separate thread would be great. Frankly, it's highly doubtful that Sonos or any of the other entities will comment on what the issue is.
I am curious, early 2019 is over now. I am (please prove me wrong) starting to be worried that google home assistant won’t arrive to my current Sonos equipment. I am a long-time user and have been using Sonos and installing on numerous sites the last 10 years. But now cheaper google speakers do more and I am having hard to motivate to buy and sell Sonos. There is still a lot of good things and some USPs left, but they do not help since it is the assistant people want..

Even I am starting to consider changing/replacing my Sonos in my home since I don’t want double of everything. Is there anything new about the google integration will it arrive in 2019? Or is it better to just move? Something that I really don’t want to do..
Badge +5
As soon as Sonos is able to release new official information concerning GA integration, rest assured they will.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Even I am starting to consider changing/replacing my Sonos in my home since I don’t want double of everything. Is there anything new about the google integration will it arrive in 2019? Or is it better to just move? Something that I really don’t want to do..

Replace Sonos with what? What features are a priority to you? I get that your concerned about Google integration, but moving just to move doesn't make sense unless there is a system out there that meets your needs better.

As far as the possibility that Google integration will never happen, I don't think that's much of a possibility. It would be a very poor decision to invest the development effort into bringing in the integration and disappoint so many customers. The only way that happens is it is some how technically not possible (can't imagine that is true), or Google pulls out of the deal, which I imagine Sonos has done all they can to make that difficult for Google to do.

It's absolutely late and frustration is understandable. I don't think it makes sense to move without a logical destination in mind, nor do I think 'late' means 'never'.

Replace Sonos with what? What features are a priority to you?

It's absolutely late and frustration is understandable. I don't think it makes sense to move without a logical destination in mind, nor do I think 'late' means 'never'.

In my case, Sonos perfectly fits my needs in the main living spaces, other than the lack of GA support, which is indeed far behind schedule.

In other rooms, though, there are GA solutions that are a much better fit (for me).

In the home office, a pair of studio monitors with dual inputs works perfectly. One input is fed from the audio output from my HDMI display, so that anything I’m playing on my ChromeBox will sound great, including YouTube videos, Yahoo Finance, etc. Sonos can’t do this.

The other input is fed by a Chromecast Audio, with a Home Hub set to use it as the default target. This way, I can see what’s playing without needing to ask. Sonos can’t do this.

On the nightstand, I use an Insignia smart speaker, with GA, picked up on sale for $20. It displays the time and temperature, and charges my phone. It supports Chromecast and Bluetooth. Sonos can’t do this.

In the bathrooms, I use the larger version of the Insignia smart speaker, also with constant time and temperature display. It’s also battery operated, so can be used outdoors on the deck for several hours. Sonos can’t do this.

So, while I still love my Sonos, there are things Sonos can’t do, which other products do extremely well, thus I have multiple systems.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Bluetooth speakers have a use for some people, others prefer the Sonos ecosystem.

I understand the frustration for GA, I too would like it.... but I have no desire to go to a Bluetooth speaker just to get GA.

If I needed GA that badly, I did need it for a couple of rooms (nest hello door announcements) a couple of cheap google Home Mini’s on sale will do the job just fine for the purpose of Nest hello and general GA commands, but I will stick to Sonos for music and TV