Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos

Show first post

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
chicks wrote:

boris 1 wrote:

Will Google Assistant support playing from the local library? It is something many people have been expecting since Alexa support.

“Many people” can expect what they wish, but until Google supports this (they don’t now), extremely unlikely Sonos will.

I don't think Google has to support the feature on their own devices before it gets supported on Sonos. Obviously, Sonos speakers are already equipped to play from local source, while Google speakers are not. Implementing on Google means more than just sending a command, it's actual implementing actual execution. With a Google/Sonos integration, it's just telling a Sonos speaker what to do, as they speaker already knows how to do it.

I do agree though that the feature is far from guaranteed, as the volume of customers playing from local libraries is rather small and decreasing. However, it could still be implemented as something Google uses to get an edge over the Amazon.
I think it would require the same as with Alexa: uploading, if not the actual music files, at least the file paths of the music library in text format to the IT cloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Smilja wrote:

I think it would require the same as with Alexa: uploading, if not the actual music files, at least the file paths of the music library in text format to the IT cloud.

No it doesn't. Putting an index in the cloud (Sonos or Amazon) might be a performance improvement, but far from required.

Right now with Alexa, the Alexa could doesn't pass anything to the Sonos cloud that it does not first 'understand'. However, has a Sonos smart skill setup and specified that they wanted to play from local library (by name or by default), than Alexa could just pass the command on to Sonos to interpret, and possibly pass a confirmation or error back to Alexa. Putting an index in the Sonos or Alexa cloud only means that the command can validated at an earlier step in the process.
The 'Sonos Music Library Smart Skill' would need to know where to fetch the requested music file(s) from.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings