Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

Another way to play music stored on your phone to Sonos is by using Apple AirPlay 2 on compatible Sonos speakers (Play:5 gen2, Playbase, Beam, Sonos One, and Sonos Amp). You can have an AirPlay 2 stream going to one of those speakers and use the Sonos app to group it with any other Sonos rooms to have them all playing in sync. You can find more information about using AirPlay 2 with Sonos here.

More about how to ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ is on our support pages.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help them set up the necessary workarounds to keep listening to their favorite tracks on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes I will enjoy using them while they work. My only point is I feel like I have been RIPPED OFF! I bought them for the airplay feature they advertised! Not buying a dot or any other work around crap. They either work or they don’t. Like people say there are unlimited options available! I’m glad I held off buying anything else from Sonos!
Userlevel 1

I think the announcement said the capability will be removed, not has been removed? You should still be able to use it for now, so you may have a different problem on your system.

Thanks for pointing that out; I had presumed this was a historic change not an imminent one.
I spent some 40 minutes last week on the phone to Sonos (from UK......) trying to get the entire system working again after I moved house. To be fair, they were helpful and did resolve the issue that i had described but at that time I hadn't realised that the library function had stopped working. I'm not sure I can expend the effort required now to restore the functionality I had before if it is only going to be lost again in the near future.
Yes I will enjoy using them while they work. My only point is I feel like I have been RIPPED OFF! I bought them for the airplay feature they advertised! Not buying a dot or any other work around crap. They either work or they don’t. Like people say there are unlimited options available! I’m glad I held off buying anything else from Sonos!

If you bought speakers advertised as Airplay capable, this announcement doesn't change that. Airplay compatible Sonos speakers (One, Amp, Playbase, Beam, Play:5) are still Airplay capable. The feature being removed has nothing to do with Airplay capability.
Companies have to change and adapt in order to stay in business. I think you could say that RIM-Blackberry is a good example of that. They didn't adapt fast enough and now they're gone.

That is actually an interesting comparison as the current CEO came to Sonos from a 14 year stint at RIM/Blackberry. It will be interesting to see how that experience plays (no pun intended) into Sonos’ ability to change and adapt.
Userlevel 1
And just to add insult to injury, I just today took delivery of my new iphone10 with 256GB storage. Guess why I wanted that much storage.......

Why do I have to be put out now! Might just sell the bloody things. Buy a set that uses Bluetooth

It would be easier and cheaper to add Bluetooth capability to your system by connectimg a $/£30 Echo Dot to your Play:5's line in
So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, you're effectively dumping a whole host of customers to the curb. Like many, I bought two Sonos speakers as a way to play music and podcasts that I already had stored on external speakers. So these have effectively become very expensive paper weights is what you're saying? "Oh, you don't like it, here's a bunch of different ways you can spend more money before we screw you over again."

What an outrageously absurd and short-sighted decision. I'd like my money back so I can invest in a company that isn't giving its customers the middle finger.
So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, you're effectively dumping a whole host of customers to the curb.

It sounds you're interpreting 'hard' the same way a teenager does when asked to mow the lawn. I don't think that's really the case here. 'Keeping up' isn't really the right term I'd use here. Being able to stream audio from your phone to a speaker over wifi isn't exactly a feature Apple is too concerned about, particularly now after they've implementing their own protocol for this, airplay 2. It's not the same as the iOS upgrading and pushing developers to upgrade their code to meet the new app standards.

Like many, I bought two Sonos speakers as a way to play music and podcasts that I already had stored on external speakers. So these have effectively become very expensive paper weights is what you're saying? "Oh, you don't like it, here's a bunch of different ways you can spend more money before we screw you over again."

They are still very useful speakers, just not in the way you want, for what you purchased them for, and that's good reason to be frustrated.

What an outrageously absurd and short-sighted decision. I'd like my money back so I can invest in a company that isn't giving its customers the middle finger.

Although it probably appears this way from your point of view, it seems Sonos had to chose between continuing the feature and having it be unstable for a significant number of users or ending the feature. After a year's worth of effort, it seems, "get it to just work" wasn't a viable option.

So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, you're effectively dumping a whole host of customers to the curb.
It sounds you're interpreting 'hard' the same way a teenager does when asked to mow the lawn. I don't think that's really the case here. 'Keeping up' isn't really the right term I'd use here. Being able to stream audio from your phone to a speaker over wifi isn't exactly a feature Apple is too concerned about, particularly now after they've implementing their own protocol for this, airplay 2. It's not the same as the iOS upgrading and pushing developers to upgrade their code to meet the new app standards.

Like many, I bought two Sonos speakers as a way to play music and podcasts that I already had stored on external speakers. So these have effectively become very expensive paper weights is what you're saying? "Oh, you don't like it, here's a bunch of different ways you can spend more money before we screw you over again."
They are still very useful speakers, just not in the way you want, for what you purchased them for, and that's good reason to be frustrated.

Although it probably appears this way from your point of view, it seems Sonos had to chose between continuing the feature and having it be unstable for a significant number of users or ending the feature. After a year's worth of effort, it seems, "get it to just work" wasn't a viable option.

I bought a product because it was advertised as being able to do a specific thing. Now it is saying it can no longer do that and that I should spend more money if I want to keep my product functional the way it was intended. This is bad business. Defend the brand all you want, but the brand won't be returning the favor. I certainly won't be purchasing anymore Sonos products. The only question now is what to do with the now worthless speakers I have. I guess I'll see what I can fetch for them on eBay.
The only question now is what to do with the now worthless speakers I have. I guess I'll see what I can fetch for them on eBay.

You will be pleased to hear that the answer is 'very close to the new price'. There are plenty of people who don't wish to play from the device, and who won't regard the speakers as being worthless.
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

Dear Jeff

I don’t want a streaming service, music service, computer or Network Attached Storage (whatever that is). It’s too technical for me, I don’t have the time to spare and I don’t want to spend more money.

I do want my two Play:1 speakers and my Play:3 speaker to play my music library on my iPhone with a single touch of the button, simply and without the need to set up new bits of equipment or links or services.

But if Sonus remove the current ability to play direct from my iPhone then I will get rid of them and will not buy another Sonus product again. I will also warn my friends and family against buying Sonus.

I am fairly sure I’m not the only one....

Rob

I bought a product because it was advertised as being able to do a specific thing. Now it is saying it can no longer do that and that I should spend more money if I want to keep my product functional the way it was intended.

Correct that it will soon no longer do that specific think with iphones. Spending more money isn't required unless you don't currently have a computer or NAS, no streaming services.

This is bad business. Defend the brand all you want, but the brand won't be returning the favor. I certainly won't be purchasing anymore Sonos products. The only question now is what to do with the now worthless speakers I have. I guess I'll see what I can fetch for them on eBay.

It's bad business in a absolute sense, I agree. I have no doubt that Sonos would continue to support the feature if it had not been for the increased difficulty in supportting the feature. No one is going to be happy about this. The only question is whether it was better to continue support, even though it couldn't be done well for all, or drop support entirely. Which choice was the better of two evils?

Personally, I wonder how much consideration was given to dropping but leaving the feature functional. If it works great, but if not, you'll have to do without. Not sure if that was possible, or if Sonos figured that wouldn't make anyone happy.

And yes, as @John B stated, ebay is a good option.
So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer...

Samsung? This will still work fine on their Android phones...
I keep hearing about NAS - I don't even know what that is, let alone have any idea how to set one up, and thereafter import all of my playlists. Thanks for giving me that "option." How about you swap out my 2 Pay 1 speakers for compatible ones that I can use.
I keep hearing about NAS - I don't even know what that is, let alone have any idea how to set one up, and thereafter import all of my playlists. Thanks for giving me that "option." How about you swap out my 2 Pay 1 speakers for compatible ones that I can use.

If your WiFi router has a USB port (most newer ones do), you can stick a USB thumb drive in it, with your music files copied to it, and point Sonos to the share created for it by your router's software. Not as good as a true NAS, but it does work, usually.

Most folks nowadays simply subscribe to a music service, such as Spotify. Sonos supports more music services than any other multiroom audio system, by far. A few of them allow you to upload your music to their cloud, and play them back via Sonos or their app.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
And just to add insult to injury, I just today took delivery of my new iphone10 with 256GB storage. Guess why I wanted that much storage.......
Ha. It’s exactly what I did
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I bought a product because it was advertised as being able to do a specific thing. Now it is saying it can no longer do that and that I should spend more money if I want to keep my product functional the way it was intended. This is bad business. Defend the brand all you want, but the brand won't be returning the favor. I certainly won't be purchasing anymore Sonos products. The only question now is what to do with the now worthless speakers I have. I guess I'll see what I can fetch for them on eBay.

Ha. If you’re interested in this quality product, I’ll have two play5’s, one play1, playbar and a sub on eBay by the weekend. Yay for me. 🖕🏻
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer...Samsung? This will still work fine on their Android phones...

Yeah - for now
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just used the feature yesterday and worked fine til I got a phone call. It cut out after that but I just got rid of the app running in the background and loaded it again. Pain in the arse I know but better than getting rid of the feature that render my speakers useless for what I want them for.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I bought a product because it was advertised as being able to do a specific thing. Now it is saying it can no longer do that and that I should spend more money if I want to keep my product functional the way it was intended.
Correct that it will soon no longer do that specific think with iphones. Spending more money isn't required unless you don't currently have a computer or NAS, no streaming services.

This is bad business. Defend the brand all you want, but the brand won't be returning the favor. I certainly won't be purchasing anymore Sonos products. The only question now is what to do with the now worthless speakers I have. I guess I'll see what I can fetch for them on eBay.
It's bad business in a absolute sense, I agree. I have no doubt that Sonos would continue to support the feature if it had not been for the increased difficulty in supportting the feature. No one is going to be happy about this. The only question is whether it was better to continue support, even though it couldn't be done well for all, or drop support entirely. Which choice was the better of two evils?

Personally, I wonder how much consideration was given to dropping but leaving the feature functional. If it works great, but if not, you'll have to do without. Not sure if that was possible, or if Sonos figured that wouldn't make anyone happy.

And yes, as @John B stated, ebay is a good option.

Spot on Danny.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.
Dear Jeff

I don’t want a streaming service, music service, computer or Network Attached Storage (whatever that is). It’s too technical for me, I don’t have the time to spare and I don’t want to spend more money.

I do want my two Play:1 speakers and my Play:3 speaker to play my music library on my iPhone with a single touch of the button, simply and without the need to set up new bits of equipment or links or services.

But if Sonus remove the current ability to play direct from my iPhone then I will get rid of them and will not buy another Sonus product again. I will also warn my friends and family against buying Sonus.

I am fairly sure I’m not the only one....

Rob

You’re definitely not the only one Rob. I’m furious about this decision.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, you're effectively dumping a whole host of customers to the curb. Like many, I bought two Sonos speakers as a way to play music and podcasts that I already had stored on external speakers. So these have effectively become very expensive paper weights is what you're saying? "Oh, you don't like it, here's a bunch of different ways you can spend more money before we screw you over again."

Joe - I got 🖕🏻from Sonos as a goodwill gesture
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why do I have to be put out now! Might just sell the bloody things. Buy a set that uses Bluetooth
It would be easier and cheaper to add Bluetooth capability to your system by connectimg a $/£30 Echo Dot to your Play:5's line in

Thanks but why should I have to go and buy another product when I have shelled out for a system that currently works - most of the time anyway. I got two play:5’s joined - will it work for both? And my play:1?

Thanks but why should I have to go and buy another product when I have shelled out for a system that currently works - most of the time anyway. I got two play:5’s joined - will it work for both? And my play:1?

Yes. Line in can be played on any and all of your speakers. Look, you were threatening to sell off your system and buy a Bluetooth enabled system (expensive in time and money) and I'm suggesting you can get the same result for next to nothing. Those are the options, the previous state is no longer an option. Cheap or expensive, your choice. I'm just trying to help.

You might find a better BT receiver than a Dot.

You would have to be in BT range of the receiver.

So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer...Samsung? This will still work fine on their Android phones...
Yeah - for now

And, technically, Samsung is NOT the largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, at least according to Forbes, Apple was. I believe Samsung did sell more Android phones, than Apple sold iPhones, though.

Rank Company Country Market Value* Assets*
1 Apple United States 961 374
2 Samsung Electronics South Korea 272 304
3 Microsoft United States 947 259

* in billions.

And, of course, because I want to credit the source of my information and I'm not sure how well the above formatted for reading, here is the link to the Forbes article. Or, you could believe Chicklet.
From https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2019/05/15/worlds-largest-tech-companies-2019/#68c09c7f734f

Also, Mondelēz International is the largest manufacturer, though, of candy-coated chewing gum.