Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

Another way to play music stored on your phone to Sonos is by using Apple AirPlay 2 on compatible Sonos speakers (Play:5 gen2, Playbase, Beam, Sonos One, and Sonos Amp). You can have an AirPlay 2 stream going to one of those speakers and use the Sonos app to group it with any other Sonos rooms to have them all playing in sync. You can find more information about using AirPlay 2 with Sonos here.

More about how to ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ is on our support pages.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help them set up the necessary workarounds to keep listening to their favorite tracks on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Seems like it, at least until some Android change will cost Sonos more money than they might be willing to spend to support it. But people (like me) who like Apple products probably don't want to use Android.

Good advice, we can't predict what will be removed next.

When Sonos Bricked their cr100 controller the advice was get a cheap Android control because it will connect directly to Sonosnet. This feature was recently deleted by Sonos.

When sonos bricked their Apple Dock, people were told they could just use the play on this device feature on their iOS device. Soon to be deleted feature.

They've removed/changed a number of other features, what's next?
Userlevel 2
Perhaps I can provide a little much-needed perspective here.

It seems to me there are two distinct groups posting about this issue. The first consists of those who have just learned that this feature is being dropped and have posted to express their concern. I note that with but a very few exceptions, they almost entirely consist of first-time posters to these forums.

Given that it takes both time and effort to first find this community, and then spend the time necessary to sign up and compose a comment, I would suggest that what you are seeing here from these - let’s call them “newbies” - is but the “tip of the iceberg” in terms of the number of people who are actually dissatisfied.

The other group also have a distinct profile. They typically have been members of this community for several years and are quite frequent posters to these forums. A look at the profiles of the most frequent posters on this issue shows that they have posts in the thousands, or in some cases, tens of thousands. Let’s call them the “old timers“.

The newbies have come to this forum hoping that the Sonos community would join them in expressing concern regarding the decision to remove a feature which they find valuable. I grant you, sometimes this concern has been expressed in ways that, in my opinion, are inappropriate.

The old timers’ responses have typically along one of four themes - I am paraphrasing them here for purposes of simplicity. “I personally don’t use this feature. Therefore no one needs it.” “Have I told you how great a SAN is?” “This is all Apple‘s fault.” “Let me tell you how the workarounds work.”

So let’s take that different perspective that I spoke about. Here is what the Sonos announcement says about the reason for this feature being dropped.

“The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS”

My primary school English teacher taught me that if you want to understand a sentence, the first thing you need to do is change it from the passive voice to the active voice. When this rule is applied to this sentence, here is what you get:

“The way we designed this feature has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS.”

When it is read this way, it seems clear that the “this is all Apple’s fault” might not be wholly accurate.

I must commend John B who I think summarized this situation extremely well.

“Apple have made changes to iOS that they are perfectly entitled to make. A side-effect of this is that in certain (fairly common) scenarios, playing music stored on an i-device has become unreliable. Sonos has an incentive to fix this, Apple does not. “

So it seems to me there is really only one question here. That question is this:

Is this problem unfixable? In other words, have the changes that Apple has made in the iOS made it impossible for Sonos, or anyone else for that matter, to support this feature.

So why don’t we just ask the question? This is a Sonos Community forum and it is moderated and monitored by Sonos. Jeff, can you please speak to your management and get us all an answer to the following question.

“Has Sonos determined that, due to the changes that Apple is making to their iOS, it is impossible for Sonos (or anyone else) to develop the programming code necessary to support the “on this iPhone” feature stably with the new versions of iOS?”

You old timers could do us all a great service. You have a lot of clout here. Please put pressure on the moderators of these forums to get us an answer.

If the answer to this question is “yes”, then I would suggest that the newbies should concentrate on taking the excellent advice that they have received from some of the old timers and see if they can find a workaround which is tolerable for them. I would also suggest that in the event of a “yes” answer, in my opinion, some of the newbies owe the old timers an apology.

However, if the answer is “no” and Sonos has simply decided not to invest the time and effort necessary to continue to support this feature, then I would ask the old timers to consider whether it might be worthwhile to speak with “one voice” as a community and, regardless of whether or not you personally use or value the feature, support the newbies in their request that Sono reconsider this decision, as a not insignificant portion of this community does find the feature very valuable.

Seems like it, at least until some Android change will cost Sonos more money than they might be willing to spend to support it. But people (like me) who like Apple products probably don't want to use Android.
Good advice, we can't predict what will be removed next.

When Sonos Bricked their cr100 controller the advice was get a cheap Android control because it will connect directly to Sonosnet. This feature was recently deleted by Sonos.

When sonos bricked their Apple Dock, people were told they could just use the play on this device feature on their iOS device. Soon to be deleted feature.

They've removed/changed a number of other features, what's next?

Wow, I didn’t know about that history, thanks. Guess I’m going to have to cut my loses on this p.o.s. company now. (p.o.s. meaning piece of sh**, for those unfamiliar with the term).

i had als opened a support case with p.o.Sonos today and just received an update from Dale something or other that my “no cost” options to work around the functionality dropping that is incoming is to buy a NAS storage device or a dedicated PC plex server. Apparently, Dale’s idea of no cost is vastly different than mine.
Oh please. Sonos isn't about to blame Apple for this issue on a public forum, even though it's 100% Apple's fault.
Sonos is never going to answer that question. Apple is a partner, in both app hosting and Apple Music, and Sonos will not throw them under the bus. These types of questions have been asked before ("What's holding up Google Assistant?", "Why no Amazon Music in Canada?", etc.), and Sonos never gives a definitive answer about the actions of a service partner.

It seems to me there are two distinct groups posting about this issue. The first consists of those who have just learned that this feature is being dropped and have posted to express their concern. I note that with but a very few exceptions, they almost entirely consist of first-time posters to these forums.

Given that it takes both time and effort to first find this community, and then spend the time necessary to sign up and compose a comment, I would suggest that what you are seeing here from these - let’s call them “newbies” - is but the “tip of the iceberg” in terms of the number of people who are actually dissatisfied.

The other group also have a distinct profile. They typically have been members of this community for several years and are quite frequent posters to these forums. A look at the profiles of the most frequent posters on this issue shows that they have posts in the thousands, or in some cases, tens of thousands. Let’s call them the “old timers“.

The newbies have come to this forum hoping that the Sonos community would join them in expressing concern regarding the decision to remove a feature which they find valuable. I grant you, sometimes this concern has been expressed in ways that, in my opinion, are inappropriate.

The old timers’ responses have typically along one of four themes - I am paraphrasing them here for purposes of simplicity. “I personally don’t use this feature. Therefore no one needs it.” “Have I told you how great a SAN is?” “This is all Apple‘s fault.” “Let me tell you how the workarounds work.”

So let’s take that different perspective that I spoke about. Here is what the Sonos announcement says about the reason for this feature being dropped.

“The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS”

My primary school English teacher taught me that if you want to understand a sentence, the first thing you need to do is change it from the passive voice to the active voice. When this rule is applied to this sentence, here is what you get:

“The way we designed this feature has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS.”

When it is read this way, it seems clear that the “this is all Apple’s fault” might not be wholly accurate.

“Apple have made changes to iOS that they are perfectly entitled to make. A side-effect of this is that in certain (fairly common) scenarios, playing music stored on an i-device has become unreliable. Sonos has an incentive to fix this, Apple does not. “

So it seems to me there is really only one question here. That question is this:

Is this problem unfixable? In other words, have the changes that Apple has made in the iOS made it impossible for Sonos, or anyone else for that matter, to support this feature.

So why don’t we just ask the question? This is a Sonos Community forum and it is moderated and monitored by Sonos. Jeff, can you please speak to your management and get us all an answer to the following question.

“Has Sonos determined that, due to the changes that Apple is making to their iOS, it is impossible for Sonos (or anyone else) to develop the programming code necessary to support the “on this iPhone” feature stably with the new versions of iOS?”

You old timers could do us all a great service. You have a lot of clout here. Please put pressure on the moderators of these forums to get us an answer.

If the answer to this question is “yes”, then I would suggest that the newbies should concentrate on taking the excellent advice that they have received from some of the old timers and see if they can find a workaround which is tolerable for them. I would also suggest that in the event of a “yes” answer, in my opinion, some of the newbies owe the old timers an apology.

However, if the answer is “no” and Sonos has simply decided not to invest the time and effort necessary to continue to support this feature, then I would ask the old timers to consider whether it might be worthwhile to speak with “one voice” as a community and, regardless of whether or not you personally use or value the feature, support the newbies in their request that Sono reconsider this decision, as a not insignificant portion of this community does find the feature very valuable.

Thank you for accurately summarizing my concern, though in a much more temperate manner than I have 🙂
Userlevel 1
First I love my Sonos Play 1 speakers! They work great with airplay! Never a problem!

Ever hear of the grandfather clause? Just because you’re upgrading (debatable) doesn’t mean you can’t keep airplay working for those of us who bought it because you advertised it! Do you think anyone would have bought them if you advertised correctly saying use airplay now but in a year or two you’ll have to buy new speakers because airplay won’t work! No, don’t be stupid!

So....

If my Play 1 speakers become unuseable with airplay (the reason I bought them) in the future. I have a large iTunes collection, and downloaded cd’s. I will not pay to stream music ever! Then two things are going to happen. One I will contact the state attorney general and explain that Sonos is taking away features they advertised to force me to buy into something else. Second I will dump my current Sono’s products and never look back at Sono’s again.

I bought these Play 1 speakers in good faith.

Step up Sonos and take care of your loyal customers before you have none.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Oh please. Sonos isn't about to blame Apple for this issue on a public forum, even though it's 100% Apple's fault.

Two questions for you.

Why do you believe Apple would care whether or not Sonos said “Our programmers were unable to implement this feature under iOS” and why would SONOS be fearful of Apple’s response if they acknowledged this? Sonos would simply be stating a fact. I am having trouble seeing Apple taking offence.

You state categorically “this is 100% Apples fault”. Could you provide us with the proof please? That will eliminate the need for anyone to answer Frank’s question. Or perhaps you simply meant to say “In my opinion”.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've removed some posts in here that are far from friendly. Please keep the discussion on point and not attack other users as we go into the weekend.

@frankdc, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed write up. I think the answer to your question is in the recent background behind the use of this feature. The decision wasn't made lightly, and the team came to it after trying to fix the feature that has been unstable over the course of several builds. After several attempted solutions, it still remained to be unstable for most users of it. On top of that, there are many different ways to play a music library on Sonos, and for a while now, the "On this Device" for iOS has been far from the best one of them. We determined that because of the way it was originally designed this feature will remain to be unreliable, and that the best course of action would be to remove it in favor of using the existing, better alternatives.

There are several ways to get your music playing on Sonos outlined in the first post in this thread, and on the article here ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ on our support page. We'll continue to support customers through this change so they can keep listening to their favorite music on Sonos, so if you have any questions, or need a hand figuring out what'll work best for you, please feel free to contact our support team.

Nothing is unfixable/impossible in a literal sense where such things are concerned, but in business there are cost benefit trade offs to be analysed before every spend. Sonos has made the call on that basis, as they have in the past; one of them obsoleted my Sonos Dock, a lovely bit of kit. I kept it in use by getting off the upgrade path - an option for " On this phone" available even today to those affected by the latest trade off - but soon found a workaround that let me get back to upgrades.
It is interesting to note that exactly same feature continues to work on Android phones, where it was introduced later; if Sonos were to explain why this is so, it might throw more light on where the larger part of the reason for this issue rests. For what it is worth.
I've removed some posts in here that are far from friendly. Please keep the discussion on point and not attack other users as we go into the weekend.

@frankdc, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed write up. I think the answer to your question is in the recent background behind the use of this feature. The decision wasn't made lightly, and the team came to it after trying to fix the feature that has been unstable over the course of several builds. After several attempted solutions, it still remained to be unstable for most users of it. On top of that, there are many different ways to play a music library on Sonos, and for a while now, the "On this Device" for iOS has been far from the best one of them. We determined that because of the way it was originally designed this feature will remain to be unreliable, and that the best course of action would be to remove it in favor of using the existing, better alternatives.

There are several ways to get your music playing on Sonos outlined in the first post in this thread, and on the article here ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ on our support page. We'll continue to support customers through this change so they can keep listening to their favorite music on Sonos, so if you have any questions, or need a hand figuring out what'll work best for you, please feel free to contact our support team.

I'd like to return mine, I've already contacted support and they offered several "options" for me to buy additional hardware (not from Sonos) to get similar functionality. No thanks. Please send a return authorization code and shipping address.

We'll continue to support customers through this change so they can keep listening to their favorite music on Sonos, so if you have any questions, or need a hand figuring out what'll work best for you, please feel free to contact our support team.I'd like to return mine, I've already contacted support and they offered several "options" for me to buy additional hardware (not from Sonos) to get similar functionality. No thanks. Please send a return authorization code and shipping address.

AND you'll continue to support customers through this change by doing absolutely nothing other than suggesting that they invest in other hardware to use the product your company sold us? Wow. And then what, when is your company going to decide to make another tough decision to f their customers over and drop support for, say, Plex? I want a refund and will gladly send my paper weight back. And please don't give me the "but you've had it for 7 months" excuse. I purchased something that Sonos KNEW was not working correctly but claimed they were trying to fix. If I had known that it was too tough for their engineers to solve, I'd have shipped this p.o.s. back 6.5 months ago.

Oh please. Sonos isn't about to blame Apple for this issue on a public forum, even though it's 100% Apple's fault.Two questions for you.

Why do you believe Apple would care whether or not Sonos said “Our programmers were unable to implement this feature under iOS” and why would SONOS be fearful of Apple’s response if they acknowledged this? Sonos would simply be stating a fact. I am having trouble seeing Apple taking offence.

You state categorically “this is 100% Apples fault”. Could you provide us with the proof please? That will eliminate the need for anyone to answer Frank’s question. Or perhaps you simply meant to say “In my opinion”.

1. See @jgatie's response above.

2. The fact that this will continue to work fine on Android should make it super obvious who is to blame here.
Userlevel 1
Please don’t change this feature!! It works great for me and I use it daily. The other options mentioned as a solution are not available to me and I’m sure there are many other people in the same situation. Those who have a problem with this feature can use the other options available. Why take it away from those who don’t have a problem with it and use it frequently?
I listen to 90% of my music from through the "on my phone" portion of the Sonos App. I have a Play 5, Beam, and 2 Play 1. The Play 1s are now useless, not to mention the fact that my wife could barely use the system before, and now I have to teach some convoluted work around. This sucks and I feel completely ripped off by Sonos. I use Pandora occasionally, but hate the fact that I can't pick my music. Now, if I want to do this easily, I have to pay $15/mo to Spotify to get most (but not all) of the music that I currently have, and I have to waste countless hours creating playlists that I already created on Apple. You guys suck. I'm with the other guy here - I'll take my money back and you shove your crappy soon to be difficult to navigate system.

I think this is very well thought out and on point. I am one of the newbies that just created an account so that I could address this issue. I am mad. I just bought the Play 1s that I have about a year ago, so the fact that they are now obsolete with a complicated work around is unacceptable to me.

As for the question as to whether Sonos determined whether it is impossible - my belief is that it just is economically unwise for Sonos. They could fix this - in fact - I don't know what problems they are even referencing - as I have had no stability issues using the feature.

I am mad, and that is why this "newbie" just created an account. $1,500.00 of equipment that I now have to find a workaround for? No. Not acceptable.

You state categorically “this is 100% Apples fault”. Could you provide us with the proof please? That will eliminate the need for anyone to answer Frank’s question. Or perhaps you simply meant to say “In my opinion”.1. See @jgatie's response above.

2. The fact that this will continue to work fine on Android should make it super obvious who is to blame here

Lol, no, he/she/whatever apparently meant to say "In @jgatie's opinion".
Lol, no, he/she/whatever apparently meant to say "In @jgatie's opinion".

It is not opinion that Sonos has never answered questions where the answer could show a service partner in a bad light, it is fact.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

1. See @jgatie's response above.

Yes, despite speculation that “Sonos is never going to answer that question“, they did answer, and quite quickly. Thanks Jeff!
2. The fact that this will continue to work fine on Android should make it super obvious who is to blame here, except perhaps to vapid Apple fanboyz.

Let me try and help you with this. Different operating systems function differently. If they all worked identically, there would be no market need for more than one.

Software developers have to modify their code to adapt to these different operating systems. Let me emphasize that it is up to the app developer to adapt to the OS, not the other way around. Depending on the application, this can be more easily done with some OSs than with others. It appears that Sonos found it harder to implement this feature on the latest versions of iOS than implementing it on Android.

That’s all. To take the position that “this is 100% Apple’s fault” is, in my view, a simplistic view of the synergistic relationship between developer and platform provider.

As to your gratuitous use of the word "fanzboyz", you seem inordinately angry about being asked to answer two simple questions?

I think you have really hit the nail on the head here - this is the crucial issue. I'd like to point out one thing relevant to the 'Sonos (or anyone else)' comment. It is not clear that anyone else has the same issue, because of the unusual way Sonos plays music stored on a mobile device.

Sonos was designed to play music stored in a music library on a computer or a NAS drive. There was no streaming, no playing from the device. The controller devices, desktop apps and later the mobile apps are just controllers. They don't play the music, they instruct the speakers to fetch the music from whatever source is specified. To fit with this fundamental structure, Sonos maintained this approach. The mobile app is still just a controller and instructs the system to fetch the music...... from the mobile device.

I strongly suspect - although cannot be certain - that this has a significant part in the clash between some element of iOS and the way Sonos plays from the device.

It may be that this is irresolvable without action by Apple that it has no incentive to take. Or it might need such a radical change to Sonos design that the cost in money and time cannot be justified against the alternative uses for that development resource.

None of this is proven, but it ties with what Sonos have said and seem s highly plausible to me. Others may of course differ.

Lol, no, he/she/whatever apparently meant to say "In @jgatie's opinion".It is not opinion that Somos has never answered questions where the answer could show a service partner in a bad light, it is fact.

The question was "You state categorically “this is 100% Apples fault”. Could you provide us with the proof please?"

Chick-whatever's "proof" that it "...is 100% Apples(sic) fault" was a reference to your opinion that...
"Sonos is never going to answer that question. Apple is a partner, in both app hosting and Apple Music, and Sonos will not throw them under the bus. These types of questions have been asked before ("What's holding up Google Assistant?", "Why no Amazon Music in Canada?", etc.), and Sonos never gives a definitive answer about the actions of a service partner."

So it's proof that it is 100% Apple's fault is your opinion that Sonos isn't going to say one way or another.

Sorry, that's a stup.., I mean poor, arguement.

And, if you don't mind my saying, the pro-Sonos opinion from someone who's apparently racked up 19,036 posts on a Sonos forum is not a source I would be inclined to believe, just because you say something.

AND, if Sonos is, I don't know if you are trying to say they are afraid to cross or bad mouth one of their partners, that partner being, specifically, Apple, then Sonos hasn't been paying attention. Apple is more than happy to throw their partners under the bus, as is most likely going to happen to Intel.

And don't take this response to mean in any way that I feel your opinions have any value or care what you think. I was just bored.
Userlevel 2

The decision wasn't made lightly, and the team came to it after trying to fix the feature that has been unstable over the course of several builds. After several attempted solutions, it still remained to be unstable for most users of it. On top of that, there are many different ways to play a music library on Sonos, and for a while now, the "On this Device" for iOS has been far from the best one of them. We determined that because of the way it was originally designed this feature will remain to be unreliable, and that the best course of action would be to remove it in favor of using the existing, better alternatives.

Hi Jeff,

I want to thank you for the very quick response, and for the answer to my question.

I was glad to learn - as I am sure were the others who were disappointed by the loss of this feature - that the Sonos development team did make a real effort to make the feature work under the latest versions of iOS before deciding to remove the feature.

We can now make an informed decision based on this. I will, and I hope others will as well, try and make the best of the situation and take advantage of some of the excellent advice offered by the “oldtimers” here.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 2
This is incredibly disappointing. To say this in an unadvertised feature is completely incorrect. In fact, for me, it was the primary reason why I invested in a comprehensive Sonos system (see Sonos's advertisement highlighting this precise feature: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/77HU/sonos-featuring-questlove-song-danny

While I don't blame Sonos per se as it is obviously a change in how Apple wants their platforms used (or not used) with sun-setting of iTunes and the break-up of the individual apps, I have GOT to believe there would be a way to pull content from the device and Sonos should absolutely pursue.

Yes it still streams, of course there are other options like building out a media server - but for many of us who have spent decades curating our music to truly have on our device - this is a huge step backwards.
We can now make an informed decision based on this. I will, and I hope others will as well, try and make the best of the situation and take advantage of some of the excellent advice offered by the “oldtimers” here.

Thanks again.

My informed decision is to ask for a refund since I will not be able to use it for the sole use I had for the thing. Not that I expect to get one, I’m sure NOT giving refunds was part of their “hard decision”.

And I’m certainly not going to invest more money and time to implement some half-a$$ed work around that may only work until Sonos’ next “hard decision”.
His name is Ryan, not Jeff.