Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

I smell fanboy. What if you dont have airplay 2 compatible speakers? What if you dont want to run them from your PC? What it you have a sonos in the office so that you can stream from your phone? What if you dont have a streaming service? What if you dont want to spend more dough having to convert something that was taken away from something that was included when you bought it?Then contact Apple to find out why they are cutting the feature, such that Sonos can no longer implement it, and let us all know the answer.

The sentiment is correct, but I don't think it is quite accurate to say that Apple is cutting the feature. Apple have made changes to iOS that they are perfectly entitled to make. A side-effect of this is that in certain (fsirly common) scenarios, playing music stored on an i-device has become unreliable.

Sonos has an incentive to fix this, Apple does not. Therein, I suspect, is the problem. It is probably related to the fact that the way Sonos streams music stored on a mobile device is quite unusual, because the system was not originally designed to accommodate this.

And why should Apple change iOS to fix this issue? We are not talking about the Sonos / Apple integration here, but iOS itself.

So I don't think anyone is to blame. Sonos has decided it is best to get rid of a feature that is destined to remain unreliable, and remove an element of future dependence on iOS, and with it an element of business risk.

It's unfortunate. It's undesirable. It is genuinely frustrating for users who valued this feature. But it is not a calamity, it is not an act of bad faith by Sonos, and I genuinely hope that nothing serious ever hsppens to those responsible for the more ludicrous rants on this and related threads.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

FYI I created a Google Music account and started importing my audio files last night. That is such a slow and unreliable app. It kept erroring and forcing me to sign in, when I was already signed in. And I started with a small subsection of my library, around 4,000 tracks. I started the upload at approximately 9pm last night and it was still only at roughly 3,000 when I left for work this morning at 8am. This is going to be painful!!I feel your pain on the initial upload. I think my library took over 24 hours when I first uploaded. However, it will continue to automatically update as you add new songs to your library, and I find playback to be very stable.

Once again, the best part is that my whole family now has access to our complete library. Also, unlike "play from this iPhone", I can start music, and it won't stop or skip, when I walk out in the yard or leave the house.
While not related to the "Local Playback" issue, I have a quick question on iTunes --> GooglePlay account sync. Does the Google Music Manager (or Google Play Music app) also sync iTunes Playlists into Google Music ? Thanks

Google Play Music does synchronize manually created playlists from iTunes, but will not sync 'smart playlists'. I just tested this by adding a new song to a manually created playlist in iTunes, opened Google Play Music, and can verify that it had synced perfectly.
Badge
Perfect - thanks ! Now back to our original programming of Local iOS Playback Blues....
Userlevel 1
So, this change means that I can’t play to other Sonos devices in other places either. I don’t use streaming services except for radio. My computer is in my office at the other end of the house - so that’s not a solution. I use iPhone and iPad as a portable means of playing music (that I’ve ALREADY PAID FOR). Playing from my iPhone or iPad is easy and accessible. Why should I have to change because Sonos can’t be bothered to make/keep their devices compatible with other systems? Sonos aren’t exactly the cheapest option on the market to start with! Sonos is removing a very important feature that was a reason to purchase in the first place. Not good news. I won’t be purchasing any more Sonos products - ever. Sonos starts this post with ‘We first introduced .......in 2012’ as if it’s light years ago. I still have CD’s etc. that are decades old. They still work even though they are played rarely. The rate of built in obsolescence that is being pursued by the tech industry in general is ridiculous. What other features that are available now will be removed or restricted in the future? Who knows. Bully boy tactics and restrictive practices where the customer is left to either like it or lump it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
So, this change means that I can’t play to other Sonos devices in other places either

What? Where are you getting this from?

computer is in my office at the other end of the house - so that’s not a solution.

Location is irrelevant. It's still on your network though, right? If so you can use that to index your music library.

I still have CD’s etc. that are decades old. They still work even though they are played rarely.

So use line-in?

There are plenty of options available, you just have to be willing to accept them.
Userlevel 1

So, this change means that I can’t play to other Sonos devices in other places eitherWhat? Where are you getting this from?

computer is in my office at the other end of the house - so that’s not a solution.
Location is irrelevant. It's still on your network though, right? If so you can use that to index your music library.

I still have CD’s etc. that are decades old. They still work even though they are played rarely.
So use line-in?

There are plenty of options available, you just have to be willing to accept them’
Userlevel 1
So why should I have to make all the changes to adjust around something that I had no choice in? My computer might be on my network but why should I have to index my music library on there? I’m also happy to allow others to use my phone or iPad, I might not want them to have any kind of access to my computer. Why should I have to use line in?
I bought my Sonos devices in good faith because they had this feature and offered better quality than comparable Bluetooth devices. It’s alright to come up with all these ‘alternatives’ but I don’t particularly want to have to change away from something that works just fine as it is. Why should I have to spend my own precious time adjusting? Why should users who are not that technical (my wife and my elderly parents in law) have to learn how to reinvent the wheel just so that they can continue using something that’s already been paid for - the Sonos devices and the music?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
So why should I have to make all the changes to adjust around something that I had no choice in? My computer might be on my network but why should I have to index my music library on there?

Because that's where your music library is?

I'm also happy to allow others to use my phone or iPad, I might not want them to have any kind of access to my computer. Why should I have to use line in?

They don't need access to your computer. Once the music library is indexed, that's it. Tap on Music Library from the browse menu on your phone, or ipad. No need for anyone to touch your computer.

You don't have to use line-in if you don't want to. You mentioned your CD collection. I mentioned a method of playing them to Sonos.

I bought my Sonos devices in good faith because they had this feature and offered better quality than comparable Bluetooth devices.

And unfortunately that specific feature is going away. If you really need 'on this device' available to you, use an Android device.

It’s alright to come up with all these ‘alternatives’ but I don’t particularly want to have to change away from something that works just fine as it is.

Except it doesn't? Which is why Sonos is removing the feature from iOS

Why should I have to spend my own precious time adjusting?

.....none of these processes are time intensive. You could have already set up and been using one of the numerous alternatives provided to you in the time it is taking you to reply on the forum.

Why should users who are not that technical (my wife and my elderly parents in law) have to learn how to reinvent the wheel just so that they can continue using something that’s already been paid for - the Sonos devices and the music?

Nobody is asking you to reinvent the wheel, unless adapting to change is reinventing the wheel.
This is a fundamental "bait and switch", as many have related, a primary reason for acquiring, then updating their Sonos system is the compatibility with iOS devices. I was actually driven to the "on my iPhone" option because music from my home library was constantly cutting out - a message indicating that the songs couldn't be found. So I went with device only playlists to assure continuous play. Now, because its costly to keep up with the iOS updates, Sonos has chosen to cut out the most dependable music stream it manages. Despicable business decision.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
my home library was constantly cutting out - a message indicating that the songs couldn't be found.

Sounds like you need to update the music library index.
Also, to the Sonos fanboys on here, seeking to excuse this decision because it doesnt effect them and those that say '90% of people dont use the product this way' then I tell you this: 10% of 50,000,000 households that have the system in one form or another is 5,000,000 pissed off people. Morons.

I'd be on board with this line of thinking, except that your numbers are made up. We can get the number of total Sonos customers, but not how many are dependent on this feature. Sonos does have some data and pretty good idea about the usage. It's very reasonable to assume they considered the cost of making this decision before they made it.

That's not to say that your frustration isn't warranted.

I am surprised that we're seeing quite a few users who are not experiencing any problems with this feature at all. That makes me wonder if Sonos considered the possibly of leaving the feature in, but simply dropping support. If it works, great, if not, oh well. That said, I don't know that having unsupported features like that will go over well with customers, nor whether the feature could survive very long with no maintenance whatsoever. Also could be a bad precedent to set.

It can’t cost that much to maintain this option for those that need it...

It can though. I'm sure Sonos support has spent a lot of time troubleshooting the issue with clients, and have dev devert efforts from projects to get this fixed. This has been ongoing for a year now. Then possibly have to do it all over again the next time Apple updates iOS.

Perhaps Sonos thinks that any meaningful response will land them in a no win situation, so it is best to stay silent and let things simmer down on their own.

I'm not sure what Sonos could say to make customers feel better about the situation. If a Sonos staff member came out with exact stats, how many effected, how many full time users of the feature, how many hours and costs spent on dealing with the issue, would anyone here stop and say "yep, you made the right choice. I'm not upset anymore"? They have already provided a high level reason, and many here don't believe it, choosing to believe it's just a scheme to get people to buy more Sonos.

My family depends on this feature to use Sonos.

We have 7 Sonos players in the house. None are airplay 2 compatible.

While I use a NAS drive, other family members use phones/ tablets exclusively. We prefer to not pay for/ use streaming services.

How many people in the family? I get that you don't want a streaming service, but many offer family plans that allow multiple people to have their own sub accounts and playlists and such. Amazon has one for around $15 a month. If you're spending more then that in song purchases a month on average, you could be saving money. Just a thought.

But on your point as a whole, you're correct that your use case does not transfer over to a NAS library very well.
This is a fundamental "bait and switch", as many have related, a primary reason for acquiring, then updating their Sonos system is the compatibility with iOS devices. I was actually driven to the "on my iPhone" option because music from my home library was constantly cutting out - a message indicating that the songs couldn't be found. So I went with device only playlists to assure continuous play. Now, because its costly to keep up with the iOS updates, Sonos has chosen to cut out the most dependable music stream it manages. Despicable business decision.

I don't think your experience with home library and 'on my iphone' stability is very typical.
I’m so disappointed that this feature is to be removed as it’s the only reliable way for me to play my music!
My AirPlay 2 works occasionally but most of the time it’s cannot find my speakers & using my Sonos library on my Mac is also unreliable as I constantly get messages saying unable to locate my music and I have to keep trying until it eventually works
I spent a whole day uploading my 20k library to Apple Music because of this change ( and on Sonos recommendation) and that was an absolute disaster as it messed my whole library up with splitting albums/songs and incorrect artwork and after years of being meticulous with the organisation of my iTunes library it took another day on the phone to Apple to revert my library back and remove the iCloud feature and I’m still trying to tidy up my library
I don’t know how I am now going to be able to find a reliable way to play my music on my 5 speakers now
My music library is rock solid on a NAS. Depending on network circumstances a wireless 'hop' from computer to router can be a place of weakness. As an experment, and if practical, you could try wiring your computer to your network (if not already wired).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
My music library is rock solid on a NAS.

Same, but no NAS. Just music stored on my computer. Had to add it like a NAS though. 😂
Userlevel 1
Badge

This is rubbish. Changes made by Apple to iOS have created this issue, which is why the feature will remain on Android.

What changes?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am really disappointed in this change!

I have a Play:1 connected to a 4G TPLink Modem which is configured with the sale SSID of my home network.
Just need to plug my Play:1 to a socket and BAM, can play music from my iPhone in virtualy any place!
Without the option of playing local music from my iPhone, I am stuck...

and I don't want to "rent" my music from a stupid streaming service that can decide to remove an artist because of an obscure royalty issue with the Label... as easily a software update can remove a useful feature!
Userlevel 1
The attitude of the techie community is always that everyone should constantly have to change or upgrade. Constantly adapt and buy into new systems and quite often have to purchase new equipment or subscriptions. Do they not realize that the average user is not concerned or even knows whether a device is IOS, Android or Windows etc. They make their choices on availability, features, cost and a whole host of other reasons. Devices, be they phones, tablets or whatever are often gifts, hand me downs, supplied by employers and acquired for many other reasons. Most people understand that as technology moves on their devices may become obsolete or at least not 100% effective. What they don’t expect is for features to be removed from relatively recent purchases that they acquired specifically to use alongside their current phone or tablet. When that feature is removed when both the device (Sonos) is perfectly serviceable and used in conjunction with another device (phone/tablet) that they already owned they have every right to be hacked off. This decision by Sonos is going to cause them some seriously bad publicity and PR issues and rightly so. It’s a bad move. It is perceived quite correctly as something being removed that in the mind of the user was already paid for, a done deal.
What about users who access a slightly older individual Sonos device from their iPhone. I know of yoga studios, offices, even a car workshop that I’m aware of where this is the case. Ridiculous obsolescence for a very poor reason. Do they not realize that when innocent customers are shown features at the point of sale that then becomes their reason to purchase. When that feature is removed they feel ripped off. Not everyone is a techie, nor should they have to be.
Imagine this scenario: Car company (BMW, Ford etc) saying ‘ From next Friday you will no longer be able to use fifth gear on your car as we are going to disable it. Most of our customers use their cars for city driving only and don’t use fifth gear so from now on we’re going to fit four speed gearboxes only to our new cars. If you are a highway or motorway user we apologies for the inconvenience. Enjoy your slower motoring or buy another brand or pay a fortune to keep using all five speeds. Goodbye.’
There would be outrage.

This is rubbish. Changes made by Apple to iOS have created this issue, which is why the feature will remain on Android.
What changes?

The issues with 'play from my iphone' started happening around the time Apple upgrade their iOS and introduced airplay 2. I don't know that we can say exactly what changed in the iOS code or whether changes could have been made by Apple to bring in the new functionality without disrupting Sonos functionality.
I am really disappointed in this change!

I have a Play:1 connected to a 4G TPLink Modem which is configured with the sale SSID of my home network.
Just need to plug my Play:1 to a socket and BAM, can play music from my iPhone in virtualy any place!
Without the option of playing local music from my iPhone, I am stuck...

For the umpteenth time this is still possible using the Sonos music library. You don't need a streaming service. You won't notice the difference from playing from the phone. Sonos was designed to play local music.
The attitude of the techie community is always that everyone should constantly have to change or upgrade.

I don't think it's an attitude so much as it's necessity in order to stay in business. I have no doubt that the companies that used to make 8-tracks and cassette tapes would still be happily making them, except that no one (almost know one) wants them anymore. Companies have to change and adapt in order to stay in business. I think you could say that RIM-Blackberry is a good example of that. They didn't adapt fast enough and now they're gone.

I do agree that these changes happen much faster these days than they did decades ago, and that tends to put a lot of strain on customers. The fact that everything needs to interact with other things compounds the problem.

The question of whether Sonos is aware of this, and tries to minimize stress to a customer is a subjective answer. I think you can definitely say that Sonos tries to maximize customer value be adding new features to existing product, and keeping your whole invested system up to date. You can't always maximize and minimize change well at the same time

Constantly adapt and buy into new systems and quite often have to purchase new equipment or subscriptions.

The other option would be for Sonos to never add new features to existing products. End a product line and start over a new line with the new features. if you want new features, you have to replace everything. This is what other companies, like Bose has done. Even in that case, it's no guarantee that your existing products will continue to work if they are dependent on other products that are still changing and adapting.

Do they not realize that the average user is not concerned or even knows whether a device is IOS, Android or Windows etc.

That doesn't sound average to me, but I do agree that the average person isn't that knowledgeable on NAS and file management in general these days. Not much need to be typically

They make their choices on availability, features, cost and a whole host of other reasons. Devices, be they phones, tablets or whatever are often gifts, hand me downs, supplied by employers and acquired for many other reasons. Most people understand that as technology moves on their devices may become obsolete or at least not 100% effective. What they don’t expect is for features to be removed from relatively recent purchases that they acquired specifically to use alongside their current phone or tablet.

True. I agree that it shouldn't be expected and it's something worth being disappointed/frustrated about.

When that feature is removed when both the device (Sonos) is perfectly serviceable and used in conjunction with another device (phone/tablet) that they already owned they have every right to be hacked off.

Agreed.

This decision by Sonos is going to cause them some seriously bad publicity and PR issues and rightly so. It’s a bad move. It is perceived quite correctly as something being removed that in the mind of the user was already paid for, a done deal.

I don't think it's goign to cause a lot of noise in the media. Could be wrong about this. I get that from a user point of view, they did nothing to deserve loss of functionality. It's not their fault. However, I don't think that means it was a bad choice for Sonos. They were spending a lot of money (I assume) in trying to resolve the issue that they didn't cause and had little control over. Is it better to just bite the bullet and remove it or continue to try and support customers who were unhappy with the instability.

What I don't quite get is how it's working just fine for many and not others. And I wonder if it would have been possible to just leave the functionality on but drop support.

What about users who access a slightly older individual Sonos device from their iPhone. I know of yoga studios, offices, even a car workshop that I’m aware of where this is the case. Ridiculous obsolescence for a very poor reason.

What do you think the reason is?

Do they not realize that when innocent customers are shown features at the point of sale that then becomes their reason to purchase. When that feature is removed they feel ripped off. Not everyone is a techie, nor should they have to be.

Sonos would never have been in business this long if they didn't understand this. That doesn't mean they can afford to never make a decision that a portion of their customers don't like.

Imagine this scenario: Car company (BMW, Ford etc) saying ‘ From next Friday you will no longer be able to use fifth gear on your car as we are going to disable it. Most of our customers use their cars for city driving only and don’t use fifth gear so from now on we’re going to fit four speed gearboxes only to our new cars. If you are a highway or motorway user we apologies for the inconvenience. Enjoy your slower motoring or buy another brand or pay a fortune to keep using all five speeds. Goodbye.’
There would be outrage.

But Ford has complete control over whether Fifth gear works or not. I think a better example would be them annoucing that you can no longer access Sirrius XM, becuase Sirrius XM changed their protocols and our existing vehicles can't work with the new protocol.. Or perhaps even better, that you can no longer play music off your iphone on the car stereo because Apple changed how their iPhone file system works, or how external sources are allowed to read the file. Your example doesn't factor that other parties or involved, and what effort it takes to make the existing feature stable for everyone again, if it's even possible.

But you're right in the sense that most customers don't care who's to blame, how much effort/money the person you're blaming has to do to fix, or anything beyond that you simply can't do what you could do yesterday. I prefer to try and look at things from other perspectives to get a better picture. I tends to ease the frustration a bit, for me any way.

And yes, my attitude does tend to get me in trouble a lot. Not just here, but elsewhere. People don't want to hear it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
So the feature to "play from my device" will continue to work from an Android device?

If so, then for those that want to play from a portable device, is this not a simple solution? And for those that "don't want to give Sonos more money" or want similar functionality for non-technical or elderly relatives I think it solves that concern as well.

Yes, it means spending some money, but it does appear to give a solution that addresses a lot of the concerns being voiced here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
So the feature to "play from my device" will continue to work from an Android device?

If so, then for those that want to play from a portable device, is this not a simple solution?

It is. People just aren't willing to adapt to change because they feel they shouldn't have to.

Even if switching doesn't get you better functionality, but makes you feel better, then go for it.What are viable options, by the way? Home pods, I guess. What else?

My partner has a Mu-so qb, which I can stream to with airplay 2.

If so, then for those that want to play from a portable device, is this not a simple solution?

Seems like it, at least until some Android change will cost Sonos more money than they might be willing to spend to support it. But people (like me) who like Apple products probably don't want to use Android.