Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

Trolls have surfaced.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I think a class action is valid here. Anyone want to join me?
You know when all balance and reason has left the building when the 'class action' threat appears. Nobody died.

So just because nobody dies you think dishonesty is acceptable? Or do you work for Sonos?

I think a class action is valid here. Anyone want to join me?
You know when all balance and reason has left the building when the 'class action' threat appears. Nobody died.
So just because nobody dies you think dishonesty is acceptable? Or do you work for Sonos?

No I don't work for Sonos and I don't think there is any evidence of dishonesty. But the idea that something this trivial would be the grounds for an expensive class action is laughable.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I’m not sure you know how class action suits work. It would be cost prohibitive for an individual consumer to sue Sonos over a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars. With a class, a bunch of similarly situated plaintiffs join together to sue a company, thus eliminating (or mitigating) the cost barrier to file the suit.
Most of us have seen most of the movies so all of us know all there is to know about class action suits. Even those that do not live in the litigation obsessed US.
The expenses of these are not small; lawyers bear the risk of the needed investment based on their assessment of the payoff and their share in it.
How does this knowledge change anything here?

One of my main reasons to go Sonos was the queue feature that could be loaded with random tracks stored on my iPhone. I've learned to do this quite well before I bought my system. When our friend hosts a party for a few of us, they all love that I can queue up songs from my iPhone onto his Sonos system. I will fill the queue with songs from Amazon Prime Music (~10%) and 90% music from my "10,000 songs in my pocket". If I need a missing track I'll buy it on itunes. I just don't need a streaming service. Also others can add a track to the queue as they see fit. I don't see how I can do that remotely. While a NAS or my iMac may serve as a replacement at my home these methods will not be able to replace this feature at a remote location.

That's a great point. In case it's not clear, your friend who hosts the party does not have a Sonos speaker that's airplay 2 compatible? That should give you the same results, although you wouldn't be using the Sonos app and I'm not quite sure how your playlist would work.

What I don't understand is the explanation that this feature "has become unreliable". I've NEVER HAD A MORE RELIABLE INTERFACE for a third party device as I have with the Sonos app on my iPhone. If this is going to break with iOS 13 then say so, but don't act like its a piece of crap as is needing to be tossed out.

I've seen numerous complaints about it's unreliability on here. I don't use iOS, or play music off the device, so I have no experience with it personally.

If this is an iOS 13 issue, PLEASE consider giving us a new app for iOS 13 and letting any of us that love this feature keep the old app on iOS 12.

Although that sounds reasonable on the surface, maintaining multiple versions of software becomes a nightmare rather quickly. And even though it's only 1 extra right now, doing it for this feature means that you'd also have to do it for everyone else that likes the current version the way it is. You can just not upgrade your system when the next version comes out, but in these days of automatic app updates and such, it can be difficult to maintain. As well, Sonos won't be able to support you, and you won't be able to add new products to your system.

Alternately, can THE BEST wireless audio company rewrite this function into their app in a way that it DOESN'T break in the next iOS version? With as much response this thread has received I'd say its not a forgotten, worthless feature.

I believe they've been trying to do this very thing since airplay came out around a year ago. And relatively speaking, it's not that big of a response. Not a forgotten, worthless feature.
I’m not sure you know how class action suits work. It would be cost prohibitive for an individual consumer to sue Sonos over a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars. With a class, a bunch of similarly situated plaintiffs join together to sue a company, thus eliminating (or mitigating) the cost barrier to file the suit.

I don't think there is any confusion about that. What I doubt is that someone is going to go through the effort to get enough people on board with this, that there is enough overall potential monetary damage considering the cost of the speakers, and that a lawyer is going to look at the software licence agreement and see much of a case there.

I am not saying people shouldn't be frustrated about a feature that they love and use regularly. I'm saying that getting a successful class action lawsuit going is seems extremely unlikely...and ultimately less effective than either changing how you access the music you love or finding a different product that meets your needs better.
Of course I know what a class action suit is. It it is still a ludicrous suggestion. There is barely a quantifiable financial loss, Sonos could probably demonstrate that they took reasonable actions in response to a situation not of their making. If you stop taking updates you can keep the feature anyway.

If and when faulty Sonos equipment electrocutes a few hundred users you will doubtless see a class action. But for this? Don't make me laugh.

This is in essence forced redundancy that pushes people to subscribe to services where additional revenue is made.

Sonos doesn't make any money off subscription services.

Line in now doesn't work properly on stereo pairs and now you impose this change the only option will involve subscriptions as controlling the media held on PC has also become problematical.

Line in doesn't work? You may be having an issue with your setup, but that doesn't translate to problem with line in functionality as a whole.

Technology has evolved to where the manufacture can force if they choose to and justify my speakers no longer working as they did. They can even control it working properly if they choose to.

Well yea, this has been possible since it was possible to update software/firmware. And I'm sure companies have updated their software with this intention. However, software is updated 99% of the time to correct bugs, add new features, change the look and feel, and continue to work with OS and third party integration changes. To say that Sonos is updating the software in attempt to hurt customers, when the evidence clearly points to problems in dealing with OS changes, is ignoring the facts.

We are forced to have data sharing accounts and are relying on the absolute integrity of a company owned by Private Equity. If we couldn't trust VW can we trust SONOS? Even it's forums appear awash with partial participants. Did I pay for some speakers to own them of for the manufacturer to own me?! I think a class action is valid here. Anyone want to join me? Refunds for all Gen 1.

If you don't feel like you can trust a company to update your firmware than you should avoid buying any products that ever get firmware upgrades, have software license agreements, or perhaps even connect to the internet. Otherwise, changes are going to happen that you may not like that you can't trust were made with good intentions. And no, you are not forced to have data sharing accounts, assuming you're talking about streaming services.
Userlevel 1
Badge
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

This is an incredibly disappointing decision from Sonos.

"If you don't feel like you can trust a company to update your firmware than you should avoid buying any products that ever get firmware upgrades, have software license agreements, or perhaps even connect to the internet."

But with most home devices (Bluray players, TVs, even routers etc) you have to actively seek out updates, so it's trivial to avoid them. You have to take considerable action to securely lock off Sonos upgrades.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

But with most home devices (Bluray players, TVs, even routers etc) you have to actively seek out updates, so it's trivial to avoid them. You have to take considerable action to securely lock off Sonos upgrades.

+1 and in addition if you or anyone who has access to your network lets their guard down for a moment you are totally screwed. No roll back.

Imo adjustments to this would be welcome even though there would be a cost to the company. It is the right thing to do in the context of bricking hardware (which they have done twice) and deleting features (too many to count)

"If you don't feel like you can trust a company to update your firmware than you should avoid buying any products that ever get firmware upgrades, have software license agreements, or perhaps even connect to the internet."

True. However, that's more due to the nature of how android and iOS apps stores operate than any choice that Sonos makes.
Userlevel 1
First time poster here. I've read through the thread and agree with the regulars that knee jerk and aggressive/confrontational reactions aren't particularly useful and actually serve to undermine any genuine cause for discontent by trivializing the issue. So I'll try to avoid that.

I am an iPhone user who more or less exclusively uses the 'On this iPhone' functionality so I'm really disappointed with the news. I understand there are other methods of accessing and playing your audio that are available, but Sonos, and some of the more experienced users here, need to understand and concede that perhaps with the exception of streaming services, every other method is significantly less convenient, and this will likely be a turn off for a small yet non trivial portion of its potential customers.

I only own a Playbar and a Play:1, so this news affects me quite a bit, and ultimately comes down to convenience;

• I could switch on my laptop and queue music through the Windows app, but this is a hassle when I want to listen to music on the fly, while cooking or doing the washing up, etc. Parties and gatherings, and things that are a bit more planned should be fine because I can sort out my laptop in advance.
  • I could buy a NAS. That has been suggested by some people here. But ultimately my iPhone was acting as a NAS in the manner I was using it. It is a network connected drive which stored my music and podcasts, etc. I feel the suggestion of 'just get a NAS' (or worded similar) is being quite willfully obtuse. In reality this means a few hundred pounds/dollars, recreating a pre-existing library of audio and learning to use a new device which might not be familiar or easy to use. I'm relatively young and I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've never owned/used a NAS and can only imagine how off putting this would be to my parents in their 60s (who I bought a Play:1 for a few years ago). There is no way that a NAS is anywhere near as convenient and easy to use as playing directly from your phone. And those who mentioned configuring a Raspberry Pi... not everyone works in the tech industry.
  • I could subscribe to Spotify or Apple Music or something similar. But this is an expensive way to access music I already own. Sure, there would certainly be benefits of having access to a larger collection of music and I'm sure I'd discover and enjoy things I don't even know exist, but I'm not really looking for that. I just want to access to my own music really. I also don't really fancy rebuilding my music library in another 3rd party app.
Personally, I love Sonos products. Their form and function is unrivaled in my opinion. I really want to stick with the brand, but this decision is seemingly forcing me to spend significant money just to be able to use functionality that I have been able to enjoy for the past five years since I became a customer. And as someone else pointed out, how will podcasts be incorporated into any of the 'workarounds'? This is a big part of what I use Sonos for, and these are only stored on my iPhone.

I would love Sonos to offer an exchange policy for me and others in my situation. I love my Playbar so much, but in the absence of Airplay, I would happily trade it back to Sonos for, say, a few hundred pounds/dollars off a Playbase in order to regain the functionality I'm losing. I say happily, but really I'd prefer to keep my Playbar and have the functionality remain, because the Playbar is beautiful and powerful in equal measure. From all the options suggested by Sonos and by others in this thread, I intuitively feel like Airplay would be the most ideal for me but I can't afford to replace my Sonos products with the newer equivalents, which retail at a combined £900.

Also, those suggesting that a regular bluetooth speaker would have been more suitable for users like me are underestimating the value in being able to have your music follow you throughout your house, and group speakers together where appropriate, or have your TV audio follow you to the kitchen, etc. I don't think that wanting to use Sonos in more of a 'basic' way should be looked down upon by those with 'bells and whistles' setups.

I am genuinely looking for a suitable and convenient way around this. Like I said, I'd be happy to upgrade my products if Sonos could help cover the cost through an exchange program or similar, which is probably unlikely. I will definitely explore the option of Google Music that has been suggested here. I didn't know that there were any free services of this kind that could work with Sonos, so I've come away from this thread a little happier than when I first started reading.

Thanks all!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@Touchsky I can tell you that I use Google Play Music, and it works very well. Freed up a lot of storage space on my phone, and it doesn't deplete your battery because your speakers will fetch the music from the cloud instead of directly from your phone. It is free, but you are limited to something like 50,000 songs for the free service. Best thing about if for me is that my whole family has the app on multiple devices, and all have access to our entire music collection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
something like 50,000 songs for the free service.
Correct: Up to 50,000 tracks, up to 320kb/s MP3, 300MB limit per track. Integrates with Sonos as a native service (no subscription needed), as well as making the tracks available via the native clients. Works very well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am genuinely looking for a suitable and convenient way around this.
Just to mention that if you have the technical skills, you can use AirPlay (v1) with any Sonos speaker by running AirConnect [1] on a suitable computer. If it's configured correctly -- specifically making sure the buffering is adjusted to function well on your network -- it works perfectly.

It's a good substitute for the 'On this iDevice' feature. Better, in some ways, because the lock screen and hardware volume controls work properly.

[1] https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I am genuinely looking for a suitable and convenient way around this.Just to mention that if you have the technical skills, you can use AirPlay (v1) with any Sonos speaker by running AirConnect [1]
on a suitable computer. If it's configured correctly -- specifically making sure the buffering is adjusted to function well on your network -- it works perfectly.

It's a good substitute for the 'On this iDevice' feature. Better, in some ways, because the lock screen and hardware volume controls work properly.

[1]
https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

lol, not saying this wont work... but with all the apprehension in this thread, github is the last place most of these guys will go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
lol, not saying this wont work... but with all the apprehension in this thread, github is the last place most of these guys will go.
Heh ... As I said 'if you have the technical skills' :)

And, it definitely does work, and it addresses many of the issues that are recurrent themes on this forum.
argh!! I literally cannot believe this. I purchased 5x Sonos 1 and a sound bar as it was straight forward to use and I am not an it expert - I keep my music on my iPhone and play it from there - I do not understand a word of the three suggestions to get around this other than AirPlay but this is not recognised on the £1,500 speakers that I have paid to Sonos - what the hell do I do? I dont stream, I don’t have any music accounts and I am not paying anymore subscriptions - help please but keep it simple please
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
argh!! I literally cannot believe this. I purchased 5x Sonos 1
Sonos One speakers, or Sonos Play:1 speakers?
First time poster here. I've read through the thread and agree with the regulars that knee jerk and aggressive/confrontational reactions aren't particularly useful and actually serve to undermine any genuine cause for discontent by trivializing the issue. So I'll try to avoid that.

I am an iPhone user who more or less exclusively uses the 'On this iPhone' functionality so I'm really disappointed with the news. I understand there are other methods of accessing and playing your audio that are available, but Sonos, and some of the more experienced users here, need to understand and concede that perhaps with the exception of streaming services, every other method is significantly less convenient, and this will likely be a turn off for a small yet non trivial portion of its potential customers.

I think that's subjective as far as easy of use. I used to try and maintain my music on the phone, not for Sonos but for playback on the phone. I found it to be very frustrating to maintain, and constantly running out of space. I would not want to return to those days.

I only own a Playbar and a Play:1, so this news affects me quite a bit, and ultimately comes down to convenience;

• I could switch on my laptop and queue music through the Windows app, but this is a hassle when I want to listen to music on the fly, while cooking or doing the washing up, etc. Parties and gatherings, and things that are a bit more planned should be fine because I can sort out my laptop in advance.

That isn't how playing music off you PC works. You set it up with the instructions here. Once setup, you can play back music from any Sonos controller (your phone) without going back to your laptop at all. It really doesn't work any differently than using a NAS, except NAS are cheaper and more convenient to leave on all the time.

• I could buy a NAS. That has been suggested by some people here. But ultimately my iPhone was acting as a NAS in the manner I was using it. It is a network connected drive which stored my music and podcasts, etc. I feel the suggestion of 'just get a NAS' (or worded similar) is being quite willfully obtuse. In reality this means a few hundred pounds/dollars, recreating a pre-existing library of audio and learning to use a new device which might not be familiar or easy to use. I'm relatively young and I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've never owned/used a NAS and can only imagine how off putting this would be to my parents in their 60s (who I bought a Play:1 for a few years ago). There is no way that a NAS is anywhere near as convenient and easy to use as playing directly from your phone. And those who mentioned configuring a Raspberry Pi... not everyone works in the tech industry.

Again, I'm not sure you understand how this works. Once you have your NAS setup and configured, you would simply add new audio files to the NAS instead of on your phone. You would still play back music using your phone the way you currently do.

• I could subscribe to Spotify or Apple Music or something similar. But this is an expensive way to access music I already own. Sure, there would certainly be benefits of having access to a larger collection of music and I'm sure I'd discover and enjoy things I don't even know exist, but I'm not really looking for that. I just want to access to my own music really. I also don't really fancy rebuilding my music library in another 3rd party app.

Just to make it's clear on other options, you can replace the play:1(s) with Sonos One's and then use airplay. Or you could use an android tablet/phone.. I'm not saying this is the right option for you, just being complete.

Personally, I love Sonos products. Their form and function is unrivaled in my opinion. I really want to stick with the brand, but this decision is seemingly forcing me to spend significant money just to be able to use functionality that I have been able to enjoy for the past five years since I became a customer. And as someone else pointed out, how will podcasts be incorporated into any of the 'workarounds'? This is a big part of what I use Sonos for, and these are only stored on my iPhone.

I would love Sonos to offer an exchange policy for me and others in my situation. I love my Playbar so much, but in the absence of Airplay, I would happily trade it back to Sonos for, say, a few hundred pounds/dollars off a Playbase in order to regain the functionality I'm losing. I say happily, but really I'd prefer to keep my Playbar and have the functionality remain, because the Playbar is beautiful and powerful in equal measure. From all the options suggested by Sonos and by others in this thread, I intuitively feel like Airplay would be the most ideal for me but I can't afford to replace my Sonos products with the newer equivalents, which retail at a combined £900.

To be clear, there is no reason to replace all of your Sonos equipment. Buying a single Sonos One would allow you airplay to the Sonos One, then group the audio with your other speakers.

Also, those suggesting that a regular bluetooth speaker would have been more suitable for users like me are underestimating the value in being able to have your music follow you throughout your house, and group speakers together where appropriate, or have your TV audio follow you to the kitchen, etc. I don't think that wanting to use Sonos in more of a 'basic' way should be looked down upon by those with 'bells and whistles' setups.

I'm one of those who suggested bluetooth. A lot of Sonos customers aren't really using the multiroom functionality of Sonos, so those features don't matter to them. And there are multiroom systems that offer bluetooth capabilities. I can't say well those systems work in comparison to Sonos as I got into Sonos before those options existed and never looked back. However, switching systems would surely be an expensive option.

I am genuinely looking for a suitable and convenient way around this. Like I said, I'd be happy to upgrade my products if Sonos could help cover the cost through an exchange program or similar, which is probably unlikely. I will definitely explore the option of Google Music that has been suggested here. I didn't know that there were any free services of this kind that could work with Sonos, so I've come away from this thread a little happier than when I first started reading.

Thanks all!
argh!! I literally cannot believe this. I purchased 5x Sonos 1 and a sound bar as it was straight forward to use and I am not an it expert - I keep my music on my iPhone and play it from there - I do not understand a word of the three suggestions to get around this other than AirPlay but this is not recognised on the £1,500 speakers that I have paid to Sonos - what the hell do I do? I dont stream, I don’t have any music accounts and I am not paying anymore subscriptions - help please but keep it simple please

Since you're comfortable with airplay, the simpliest solution would be to buy one Sonos One because it's airplay 2 compatible and set it up as a new room or replace one of your Play:1s (sell it on ebay perhaps). You can then airplay to the Sonos One and group your roooms together to play the audio in other rooms.

Thee are cheaper ways and perhaps overall more simple, but based on what you said you'e comfortable with...
@touchsky. Bottom line is that playing from the Sonos music library, whether files are stored on a NAS or computer, is virtually indistinguishable from playing from the phone. It is every bit as easy.

argh!! I literally cannot believe this. I purchased 5x Sonos 1Sonos One speakers, or Sonos Play:1 speakers?

I think they are Sonos One - sorry not very techie, purchased over 3 years ago - they don’t have air play nor Alexa - how would I know?

I do have a sound bar purchased though last month and that has air play so I have managed to get that working and then link the other rooms but my wife would listen to her music in another room so looks like I will have to get another air play compatible speaker?

thanks for your help