Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1094 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@ZGirl You state “I’m finding the music library from my laptop clunky, and it’s not easily portable.” Why would you need portability with Sonos? If you point Sonos to your music on your laptop, you just leave it turned on.
Hello, I too am somewhat annoyed about the removal of on this iPhone feature which I use all the time and is the reason I bought Sonos, don’t stream at all, I like having the CD’s.

i have followed this thread with interest and have uploaded my iTunes library to google play, too ages but it’s done and seems ok, some stuff not quite right, no compilation distinction but it works and that is the main thing.

I have niw now tried to upload my wife’s iTunes library (which is on the same laptop) but google play can’t find it as when iTunes created it, it saved it in a folder inside my iTunes folder, google play only seems to look for the top level iTunes folder.

i have managed to upload her library by uploading from folders but her playlists are not there, anyone know how I can get them?

i realise this a bit off topic and more google play but I wouldn’t have to faf about learning how to manage a different music application if Sonos hadn’t messed me about, also thought someone on here might be in a similar situation and have found an answer,

thanks in advance,

Jim

You seem to spend a lot of time on this forum calling anyone who doesn’t agree with you rude and obnoxious

Point out the last time I called someone rude and obnoxious before you, please.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

In many ways they have fixed it with a thing Apple now call “Airplay-v2”, but in order to use it, you need later versions of things, like a mobile device that supports iOS 11.4 or higher/tvOS 11.4 or higher/MacOS 12.8 or higher ...and a Son

I can’t see Apple wanting to reverse their decision.

Both companies aren't standing still, if you want new features and hardware you need to update. Sometimes features are dropped, most of us are fine with this.

One thing Apple does that Sonos doesn't is if you update iOS on your Apple device you can downgrade if you choose.

IMO Sonos should allow owners to downgrade so they can keep using features they feel they paid for if their system is upgraded by mistake or they charge their minds.

I know there are company reasons to not offer downgrades- but imo it's the right thing to do. Especially as we stare down the looming demise of older players like the ZPs.

The top section of the page is about the Play:1, and refers only to control via the app, not voice control or Airplay 2.

Then there are images of all Sonos speakers, and the heading 'why choose Sonos'. Not 'why choose the Play:1'.
Ok. But I clicked on the Play:1, scrolled down, and saw the text shown. Poor website development does not mean that what is still (still as in right this minute) being shown to potential customers is misleading/false/untrue.
Seriously, it could potentially mislead someone new to Sonos, and I agree that it would be better not to run that risk. I don't agree that it is false or untrue.

Nice addition. Unfortunately, it is false and untrue for the Play:1 and should not be displayed in a page linked from a Play:1 link. I’m revoking my like (as if you care) from your comment since you edited it after the like.

@WhydidibuySonos,

Funny, a person lamenting the exact same issues as you, with the same despondent, defeated tones, with the same utter disdain for the suggested alternatives and those who offer them, was posting yesterday. In more than one thread, he called me all kinds of names and basically told me to shut up and just let him rant.

Then he actually tried the Google Play Music free account solution and was thrilled. He said it was not complicated at all. Another poster did the same and even said it was better because his music didn't stop when the phone went away and didn't chew up his battery. Both (admittedly) had to get over the initial hurt and anger, but were ecstatic when they actually tried an alternative rather than screaming at the wind. To the first guy's credit, he came back and said exactly that; he had to get over the hurt and actually try a suggested alternative, a refreshing post that you do not often see on the internet.

I hope you find a solution similar to these posters. Everyone deserves to be happy with their purchase, even if they have to go through a bit of hurt and anger first.
Ok, I appreciate that you found something that worked for those guys but the point is that I bought two speakers which both came in a box clearly marked - “made for iPod, iPhone and iPad”. Neither speaker has AirPlay and Sonos are taking away the ability to play songs from my iPod, iPhone and iPad so how are those speakers made for iPod, iPhone and iPad” when Sonos can’t commit to long term support?
i get that there are solutions but surely you can see that this is misleading marketing. They are still selling Play:1s with that branding on the side. I would not have bought those speakers 3 months ago if I knew I would not be able to play music on my phone.
For me this is a consumer issue and no matter how much you love Sonos I hope you can appreciate why I find their attitude jarring.
It could definitely be argued that it was bad timing on my part but surely there are consumer protections against this type of thing. I had to convince my wife that Sonos was definitely the right option... she will be reminding me about this for a long time.
If WiFi speakers were the only way to achieve excellent quality sound then I could understand the business model but there are far more flexible options out there that allow me to listen to my music in a way that suits me. I’d rather go back to using a dock than having to use my pc as a music player or having to maintain separate music libraries.
One option I have considered is buying a 2nd hand Connect. I could pick one up for around £200 and that would allow me to connect my stereo to my Play:1s. My stereo has Bluetooth, usb and aux in so I should then have all the flexibility I need. There may be a slight drop in quality but I would still have the option to expand my speakers throughout the house. Trouble is I could spend that £200 and then a month later Sonos could remove support for Connect from the app. That is the problem with their business model. Once you’ve been burnt by it you would be crazy to then invest more money.

Every one of your statements here are true, and you have every right in the world to feel that way. However, nothing you've said will change the fact that you can no longer play files located on your devices. So here's a novel idea, why not try to move past that, without the clouded judgment caused by anger and disappointment? Unless all you wish to do is vent?
This is a big time let down for me by Sonos. I purchased Sonos speakers to enable me to play my music from my ipod touch/ipad/iphone without the need to leave my laptop running when playing through the Sonos speakers. I can also easily transport the ipod, ipad or iphone from room to room - not easily done using my laptop (battery issues)
Shame on you Sonos - no doubt there will be quite a few Sonos speakers for sale on Ebay!

Your scorn is misplaced. Direct it at Apple, where it clearly belongs. They did it for security reasons, which everyone should surely support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What's a Sonos 3?

You mean a Play:3?

So angry at a company and yet you don't even know what you've actually spent money on.

I can't fault anyone for getting the names of Sonos products confused. The naming convention certainly invites confusion. And any confusion certainly isn't tied to how anyone feels about Sonos at the time, since we see that aournd here by people who love Sonos as well as though who hate it.
Ok, firstly I am actually relieved that the horrendous stability issues I’ve had with the “on my iPhone” feature for the past 2 years are finally explained and, with a bit of fiddling, resolved.

What grinds my gears here, though, is what can only be described as either the dishonesty (at worst) or an incompetent communications approach from Sonos (at best) over that period. I understand this is not an issue they caused, but what I don’t understand is why they couldn’t have been upfront with us 12 or 18 months ago. Instead I spent hours in this forum researching various fixesto the glitches that wererendering my system completely unlistenable. The prevailing theory for a while was wifi interference. In response I sunk a couple of hundred bucks on an uncessary Boost. Similarly, I spent to update my router. I spent ages switching wifi channel to avoid the theorised “interference”. I spent more hours assigning static IP addresses to all the devices connected to our wifi system, and isolating everything else to 5G channel to keep Sonos as isloated as possible.

My son wanted a sonos speaker for his birthday, so I got him a Play1. I didnt get an airplay compatable One because it was more expensive and Sonos had given no indication of its intention to switch off on my iphone until earlier this year. Similarly, when I wanted a new playbar for the second TV I went with the tradtional (non airplay compatable) playbar rather than the playbase because I love the sound of my other playbar and wasn’t convinced the playbase would be as good. If id had known then (only a year or so ago) that airplay would soon be required I obviously would have gone with the playbase.

Luckily I do have a 2nd gen 5, so I can use the airplay approach outlined in this post. But now my son can’t listen to his own music on his speaker at the same time as I’m listening, because its not airplay compatable, even though that tech existed when I purchased it and presumably Sonos knew this was the way things were heading then.

Eventually I will explore the NAS option, but I am time poor, and it still sticks in my craw to have to spend even more money to get my system working as it did when I first got it 4 years ago. I refuse to use streaming services as I am an old muso and actually want to support artists by buying their product rather than fork out yet more money to silicon valley billionaires.

So, Sonos, I hope you have or will learn something from this debacle: about honesty, integrity, and treating your customers with respect rather than sending them down unnecessary rabbit holes because you didn’t want to admit that your software is no longer as compatable as it was with Apple products.

As I said, I’m relieved I can now listen to my music on my sonically beloved sonos system without it cutting out halfway through a song. But gee whiz, a lot of heartache could have been avoided.
What Sonos devices do you have?
Would you be so kind as to post a link to Apple’s iOS 10 support for downgrading, which I believe was the one before they started making this process unstable?
And I’m bored with Chicklet and won’t be posting on the Sonos forums about this anymore, other places I will definitely be posting.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is there a way for my phone library to automatically update my google play library?Yes there is, and if you had been paying attention instead of being rude and obnoxious to those trying to help, you'd know that.
It doesn’t matter though, as he’s going to move away from Sonos and spend a load more money buying that kit.

In order for google play to sync with my iTunes library, my pc has to be turned on.

Currently I can create a new playlist on my phone and it syncs with my wife’s phone so I can create playlists for her at any time during the day no matter where she is and she does the same for me. When I get home I then go the Sonos app and play that playlist. Nice and simple.
In order to update google play I would have to get home, turn on my pc, wait for the various updates and installs and then google play can update. Then I can listen to that playlist.

I’m not someone who spends a lot of time on my PC. I mainly use it for video editing at weekends and everything else is managed via my phone or tablet. I think that is fairly common these days with most people using their mobile devices in the same way they used to use the family pc. When I get home I have about 3 hours with my family and I just want to be able to pop some music on without having to turn my pc on every night.

So I haven’t seen a single solution that allows me to play an up to date music library from my phone without having to use my pc to manage that library in some way.

I am obviously new to this and this is my first time on a forum of any kind. The only form of social media I use is YouTube. I’m only here in the very faint hope that Sonos will find a solution that allows me to continue to manage my music via my phone only. As I said previously, connect would be a solution if I could be sure that they will continue to support it. I’m not spending £600 on the new amp so it will have to be an older model and with the business model that Sonos and Bose use that is not a reliable solution
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@WhydidibuySonos,

Funny, a person lamenting the exact same issues as you, with the same despondent, defeated tones, with the same utter disdain for the suggested alternatives and those who offer them, was posting yesterday. In more than one thread, he called me all kinds of names and basically told me to shut up and just let him rant.

Then he actually tried the Google Play Music free account solution and was thrilled. He said it was not complicated at all. Another poster did the same and even said it was better because his music didn't stop when the phone went away and didn't chew up his battery. Both (admittedly) had to get over the initial hurt and anger, but were ecstatic when they actually tried an alternative rather than screaming at the wind. To the first guy's credit, he came back and said exactly that; he had to get over the hurt and actually try a suggested alternative, a refreshing post that you do not often see on the internet.

I hope you find a solution similar to these posters. Everyone deserves to be happy with their purchase, even if they have to go through a bit of hurt and anger first.
Ok, I appreciate that you found something that worked for those guys but the point is that I bought two speakers which both came in a box clearly marked - “made for iPod, iPhone and iPad”. Neither speaker has AirPlay and Sonos are taking away the ability to play songs from my iPod, iPhone and iPad so how are those speakers made for iPod, iPhone and iPad” when Sonos can’t commit to long term support?
i get that there are solutions but surely you can see that this is misleading marketing. They are still selling Play:1s with that branding on the side. I would not have bought those speakers 3 months ago if I knew I would not be able to play music on my phone.
For me this is a consumer issue and no matter how much you love Sonos I hope you can appreciate why I find their attitude jarring.
It could definitely be argued that it was bad timing on my part but surely there are consumer protections against this type of thing. I had to convince my wife that Sonos was definitely the right option... she will be reminding me about this for a long time.
If WiFi speakers were the only way to achieve excellent quality sound then I could understand the business model but there are far more flexible options out there that allow me to listen to my music in a way that suits me. I’d rather go back to using a dock than having to use my pc as a music player or having to maintain separate music libraries.
One option I have considered is buying a 2nd hand Connect. I could pick one up for around £200 and that would allow me to connect my stereo to my Play:1s. My stereo has Bluetooth, usb and aux in so I should then have all the flexibility I need. There may be a slight drop in quality but I would still have the option to expand my speakers throughout the house. Trouble is I could spend that £200 and then a month later Sonos could remove support for Connect from the app. That is the problem with their business model. Once you’ve been burnt by it you would be crazy to then invest more money.

Every one of your statements here are true, and you have every right in the world to feel that way. However, nothing you've said will change the fact that you can no longer play files located on your devices. So here's a novel idea, why not try to move past that, without the clouded judgment caused by anger and disappointment? Unless all you wish to do is vent?

In what way can you claim that this comment is helpful? You are just sitting at your keyboard casting judgement on people who are unhappy with a product they have just bought and who do not find the suggested solutions to be convenient.

I have told you that I appreciate that you are trying to help and I have explained why the suggested solutions are inconvenient for me. Try to accept that please and stop trying to browbeat me into changing the way I listen to music.

I’m sure that you will find it necessary to respond further with your withering critique of my terrible personality but it would be better for the general tone of this discussion if you could just accept other people’s stance. You made some suggestions, they don’t work for me, let’s move on

The Sonos App is, except for the "On this Phone" feature, not a mediaplayer, it's merely a remote control. 'Made for iPod, iPhone and iPad (and Android for that matter)' simply applies to the OS the Sonos app is able to be run on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, as of today this feature is no longer available. I've started a new thread for the announcement here, with a few updated suggestions based on the discussions in this thread.

Feel free to continue the discussion in this post if you have questions or need help clarifying your options.

I know the change is tough for some people, but there really are some great options, including free ones, that'll get your local libraries playing and controlled using your iPhone or iPad.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Google Play Music .......... allows you to store and play your own music for 100% FREE. When one is being so critical, you'd figure they would get their facts straight before popping off.I am afraid you are wrong. It does not store all of your music. What Google Play does do is compare the songs that you want to upload with what is already in its existing inventory, and ignores any songs that it already has a version of. So while you might have the Isle of Wight concert version of that song, Google Play will decide that you will actually like the High Park concert version or the studio version better.

This is why it is an imperfect "workaround" for those who really care about their music.
I thought you switched to Denon HEOS?

As to your point, you have the ability to override the matching. You can choose the match, or choose to upload your own copy if you "really care about your music". So no, I'm not wrong, you are.

And why are you so intent on knocking the alternatives that may work for others? You know, someone finding an alternative that works for them really doesn't detract from your personal disappointment with Sonos.

Perhaps, in the spirit of cooperation, we can agree on a compromise? Can we say that your response was “incomplete”?

As you know, Google Play does not advise a user that it will be matching and substituting songs. So a user, acting on your advice, is likely to simply assume that all their songs have been uploaded. It’s only by listening to their music that they might have determined that something is amiss.

It is, perhaps, something that they might like to be advised of beforehand.

You are, of course, correct that there is an override edit mechanism in Google Play which is described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googleplaymusic/comments/7xwf6r/does_gpm_replace_uploaded_songs_with_their_own/

Each “matched” song must be edited individually to override the “match”. As some recent posters here have said their libraries are in excess of 30,000 items, that might take a great deal of editing if they are unhappy with the “matching” concept.

So, this particular workaround, like all the others, does have its drawbacks for some users.

Having said that, I will say that of all of the suggested options, this one is certainly the closest to replicating the convenience and flexibility that the “on this iPhone” feature provides. It is a credit to people like you that it was this Community that identified this as an option when Sonos, after apparently a year of working on this problem, did not. It speaks to the value this Community sometime brings.

To answer your question, I sometimes post to outline the drawbacks to these workarounds because you and the other frequent contributors here, unfortunately, don’t, despite the fact that all the workarounds have drawbacks, in some cases significant ones, versus the “on this iPhone” feature.

For example -

In the case of a NAS, for those who valued the “on this iPhone” feature because it allows them to connect to Sonos systems in different locations, a NAS is not particularly portable and convenient.

In the case of the “buy one speaker with Airplay and link it to the others on your system” workaround, that is fine for one user, but in a household with multiple users, other members of the family cannot use their iPhones to stream their music to the other speakers as they used to be able to do.

You guys say you are the experts, so why not inform people of both the advantages and the drawbacks to each workaround in comparison to the feature they are losing, and let them make an informed decision? Why only present the positive side of the solution and ignore the drawbacks, as you have been doing?

You have the expertise and a wish to contribute, so why not present all of information, and present it in an objective way?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
THANK YOU SO MUCH SONOS. ITS THE ONLY FEATURE MY WIFE AND I USE AND NOW YOU’RE TAKING IT AWAY????
WHY WOULD YOU TAKE AWAY THIS FUNCTION?
ITS THE MAIN REASON WHY I BOUGHT FOUR SPEAKERS AND A SUB.
SO NOW I HAVE TO GO OUT OF MY WAY AND HASSLE OR SPEND MORE MONEY CAUSE YOU GUYS CANT GET IT TOGETHER?
GREAT INVESTMENT. MY SPEAKERS DON’T SEEM TO HAVE AIRPLAY THINGY AND NO YOU CONFUSE US WITH THIS.
Userlevel 1
Badge

So unless someone tells me of a quick/cheap way to solve this without giving money to Sonos, the connect is going back and I’m ordering a Bluesound node 2i.Hope you don't plan on being able to play from your phone to your new Bluesound node 2i. Looks like Bluesound removed the "play from this device" feature 10 months ago from both Apple and Android devices based on posts in their forums.
In order to create a more robust experience through our BluOS system, play from mobile was removed due to security risks on iOS and for the arrival of Airplay 2 to be used alongside our new Gen 2i lineup.

This has been the case since IOS 12 and Android 8.0.0. The decision to remove this function was not due to Bluesound, but had to be taken out under pressure from Google and Apple.”

Unlike Sonos, the Bluesound folks have no problem blaming Apple for this issue. Crystal clear who caused Sonos to remove the feature.

exactly. bluesound HAS airplay2. sonos connect DOESN'T.