Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1096 replies

We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:

1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.

With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

Another way to play music stored on your phone to Sonos is by using Apple AirPlay 2 on compatible Sonos speakers (Play:5 gen2, Playbase, Beam, Sonos One, and Sonos Amp). You can have an AirPlay 2 stream going to one of those speakers and use the Sonos app to group it with any other Sonos rooms to have them all playing in sync. You can find more information about using AirPlay 2 with Sonos here.

More about how to ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ is on our support pages.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help them set up the necessary workarounds to keep listening to their favorite tracks on Sonos.

Option #4 - Install a storage device in your Sonos that will allow us to store the music locally so that we don’t have to involve our home PC and WiFi network. You’re welcome

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Option #4 - Install a storage device in your Sonos that will allow us to store the music locally so that we don’t have to involve our home PC and WiFi network. You’re welcome

You mean Airplay 2 then!  Oh no your talking about Bluetooth?  Sonos are not bluetooth speakers though.  You could add a dongle to the Play 5 or Port if you want that rubbish an Audio source.

No, I’m talking about a storage device in the Sonos player. How is that Bluetooth audio if the music is on the device? PS your response came across snarky and that’s unnecessary if you truly intend to have an honest discussion.

A storage device in every player? And what do you mean by the Sonos player please?

No, I’m talking about a storage device in the Sonos player. How is that Bluetooth audio if the music is on the device?

I see a few concerns with a Sonos storage device.  First, what size should it be?  Solid state or disk?  There are some that will only need a few GB while others could be in the several hundred GB.  That vast majority of people won’t need any at all since they don’t store local libraries or already have their own Computer/NAS.  So you’d be adding cost to a product that most people don’t need or want.  You also would only ever need one per system (not to mention that no existing products have this), so it makes more sense to be a separate device….now you have a Sonos branded NAS.  Why not just a regular NAS that can hold more than Sonos music files.?  And of course, many of the people upset about this change specifically want to store music on their phone so they can have the music at and away from home from one source...and don’t want to pay any additional costs.  A Sonos storage device doesn’t help them.  

PS your response came across snarky and that’s unnecessary if you truly intend to have an honest discussion.

Probably wasn’t a good idea to end your post with “you’re welcome” if you wanted to avoid snarky responses. 

I am wondering if by ‘Sonos player’ @mtnaccounts means the Sonos app?  Which of course isn’t a music player at all.  I await clarification - I genuinely don’t know what is being suggested here.

Also interested to learn how a networked wireless audio system is going to do without WiFi (I don’t think he has SonosNet in mind)

In fact, the more I look at this, the less genuine it looks.  I think I’ll opt out of further debate if @mtnaccounts chooses to return (noting also his contributions to another related thread).

I am wondering if by ‘Sonos player’ @mtnaccounts means the Sonos app?  Which of course isn’t a music player at all.  I await clarification - I genuinely don’t know what is being suggested here.

Also interested to learn how a networked wireless audio system is going to do without WiFi (I don’t think he has SonosNet in mind)

I didn’t see that possibility, but you could be right.  I would think the first post refering to “installing a storage device in your Sonos” would be refering to an actual Sonos device since you can’t really install a device in a app, but who knows.

Regarding WiFi, I was assuming that the intention was that the speaker itself would have the storage so you wouldn’t need to get audio through WiFi at all...but you would still need it for control or multi room audio.

I will say though that I’d be in favor of a Sonos storage device if it did more than just store local libraries.  If, for example, it could store streaming audio, allowing for a larger buffer or to playback offline later on, something like that.  Another Move like speaker with internal storage, bluetooth control through the Sonos app, and possibly localized Snips voice control would be a very interesting product.

...allowing for a larger buffer or to playback offline later on, something like that. …

I would think something like this might be problematic, with legal rights at issue.  In my own experience, streaming directly is one fee, allowing storage for play later is another license fee. I’d imagine that some companies have paid for one of those, but not the other, which would make things like a Sonos storage device a challenge. And explaining it to the lay user would be even worse. Yes, you can store X, but no, Y can’t be stored for later play. It’s not us, it’s the streaming company’s licensing issues…. Probably not a popular thing to be saying.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I purchased the Sonos System because of the mobile support for the IOS music library. Now your'e taking it away?? Re-architect your software and fix the issues. Eliminating the functionality is not a fix. I have invested thousands of dollars in your systems. Can I get my money back?

I also bought your system so I could take my IOS Library to friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Now that will also be eliminated. What is the solution for that?

Absolutely spot on - me too.

It was set up in store as an alternative to an expensive device that had to have each individual CD downloaded and stored on at a time.  The Connect system was marketed with an iPad connected to it - for ease of use.

Taking it away rather than getting a suitable work around feels like a real let down to those who purchased a Connect system with the iPad connectivity in mind.

Thanks, Apple! Really made our lives less easy. 

Jhst wanted to get this off my chest:

Two years ago, mom wanted to listen to songs on her ipod throughout her house.

I bought my mom five Sonos1 speakers so she could do that.

Specifically, she uses it to listen to “Mom’s Hospice Playlist”, as she is going through end of life care in her home. I don’t have the time to set up these alternatives listed here as unfortunately I’m not very technical.

Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Good luck out there

Coming back on here just to get off my chest that my mom passed away im October, and that I’m throwing away these speakers I bought because they remind me of how I let  her down when I promised that shed be able to listen to her music throughout her house, and every time I think about it it makes me sad.  I don’t want to badmouth a product or a company online because that gets us nowhere, but it just makes me sad that it didn’t work when i needed it to.  Good luck to you all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us. My condolences on your loss. I’ll make sure to share your story with our team here too. 

If the speakers bring you nothing but sadness, perhaps you could give them away and bring someone else a little joy, instead of throwing them in the trash. You could likely get a good price on a second hand market too, if you wanted to take the time for that. Where ever you land, I hope you find some happiness soon.

Thanks, i know it’s not your fault and that your trying to help but no i just don’t have that in me, i dont want anything like that, they rare not something i’m looking to get cash from, i’m just done with them.  like i said i know it’s not your fault they stopped workings, thank you.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

perhaps you could give them away and bring someone else a little joy, instead of throwing them in the trash.

Why didn’t Sonos do that with the trade in programme rather than bricking perfectly working units? 

Pot - kettle - black. 

You certainly can, without getting the 30% discount. The nice thing about the trade in program is that it is entirely voluntary, there’s absolutely no requirement that you avail yourself of it. It’s an option. If you prefer to give someone else your speakers, you’re entitled to.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

You certainly can, without getting the 30% discount. The nice thing about the trade in program is that it is entirely voluntary, there’s absolutely no requirement that you avail yourself of it. It’s an option. If you prefer to give someone else your speakers, you’re entitled to.

It would have been nicer if they had said, anyone with older kit can get a 25% discount and then you can give your old speakers to someone else. 

Or even better, if Sonos had said, send them in rather than brick them, we will give you 25% off instead but we will donate your old units to some childrens homes. 

Badge

Frankly unacceptable that I paid $2000 on Sonus gear and I’ve got to use a third party music service to play songs on my iPhone. 

It’s an unacceptable position and frankly a cop out that you can design great speakers but not an App that supports the iOS natively. 

Really hope you reconsider your position. 

It’s Apple’s position. 

Hello to all,

I didn’t read all post on here … but just be frustrated as much of you I think..

ok I can accept that we need to update / upgrade, but why throwing away play5 gen1 which were working fine or cutting out functionality we use ? Ok AirPlay may be better, ok we can use NAS and streaming service ( 90% of my use), but for example.. how I can stream Facebook live video on my play 5 ? I use the line in fonction to do that before .. simple and quite effective… I won’t buy new Sonos one / play 5 just for that !!  

at first the disappearance of the lockout screen remote control was a shame, and now that … I may have bought other brand !

I didn’t read all post on here … but just be frustrated as much of you I think..

It would be sufficient to read enough to understand what has happened and why.