Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1070 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey 106rallye
after spending time on the phone with Sean from sonos today.
and we installed the sonos controller on my window pc.
I then added my music folder to that controller and Sean said
now check your iPhone app for the new music
library.
I opened the iPhone sonos app and clicked on browse and where it once had (on this phone)
it now had MUSIC LIBRARY as a option.
i open it and clicked on a few Songs and they all played perfectly & they were all the songs that I added to the pc folder.
as for the NAS/HDD option.
Sean also informed me of this as another option.
I am only passing this info on to help anyone else.
If you plug the hdd into your pc and the pc is off.
you won't see the music library option in your iPhone.
but if you plug a nas directly into your sonos boost or router/modem via Ethernet cable.
you won't need the pc on to see your music on you iPhone app.
it will be accessible into your home network that the sonos boost creates.
I can't vouch for this, as I am yet to try these options in the next few weeks.
simply because I don't want to keep turning my pc on to play music.
or for any reason I don't have any internet access. My music will still play through the home network because the modem still has power to it.
as for google
I haven't researched that.
because it's not a option that I am interested in using.

the issue with the NAS option is the price of purchasing a nas. I just checked jb hifi and they are expensive to invest in.
once again.
I am only passing on the info that sonos passed onto me, hoping it can help folks out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Please keep us posted of your experiences. They can be a help to others!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
TEZZ, I'm glad you're sorted and (relatively) happy.

Please don't throw away the iPhone: you still need it for Trueplay, as this is not available on Android phones.

You might also be able to plug in a USB memory device into your router - much cheaper than an NAS.

Not meaning to have a go at you, but these options have been put forward once or twice (or maybe more often than that😉) during the previous 42 pages of this discussion.

But it's really good to hear someone that was so upset be willing to post a new comment in this way. Good for you!
Userlevel 1
Yep nik6996a
I was to frustrated to read through 42 pages of comments.
thats why I went straight to sonos via phone conversation to get answers from sonos on how to get around the issue and ask them why they did this and to reconsider the change,
as it still worked fine for heaps of us...
I haven't played music from my phone since they did this & im old fashioned and liked the (on this phone) option.
it worked perfectly for me.
and I can't seem to be able to embrace the streaming fad of today.
my outstanding Telstra nbn service lets me down more times then it works.
hence the reason why I want be able to play my music, rather then online streaming.
it was great to hear some calming vibes coming out of of the sonos again today finally.
& as they say
music calms the savage beast.
hahaha.
I'm finally at peace with my sonos again..🎼🎼🎼🎼
Userlevel 1
I continue to be really upset about the removal of the feature. Just chiming in that the loss of the feature has not been forgotten and I will continue to monitor (and chime in if needed) in hopes that Sonos will decide to reverse the decision.
I continue to be really upset about the removal of the feature. Just chiming in that the loss of the feature has not been forgotten and I will continue to monitor (and chime in if needed) in hopes that Sonos will decide to reverse the decision.
Sonos will only reverse their decision, if Apple reverses theirs. I also see you have a Beam and so can use AirPlay to stream the music stored on your iOS device to any, or every, Sonos speaker in your home, for free!
Userlevel 1
Over the past few days I have been experimenting.
I had a spare 1tb internal hard drive and I went to jaycar and purchased one of those internal hard drive enclosures that you fit your internal hdd into and it then turns into a external hdd
it has a power switch in it to turn it off and on and is powered by an ac power supply.
I am currently running the Telstra generation 2 modem
and on the back of it, it has a USB inlet socket.
I plugged the hdd into that and went onto my windows 10 computer and clicked on create a new network and followed the prompts step by step.
prior to creating the network.
the music on my iPhone is located in my music/iTunes/Tezzs iPod music folder.
I then selected that folder as the path to the hdd.
I then went into the sonos controller on my pc and clicked on manage up in the top left corner and then clicked on music library settings..(you must have the controller updated to the latest version, or it will be greyed out and you can't click on it)..
I then added the path to it by directing it to the newly added music folder.
once I had done this. I opened the sonos app on my iPhone and clicked in browse.
I then had a new option in the sonos app called music library.
I opened it and all my songs that are in the iTunes folder were in there.
I clicked a one of the songs and it played straight away.
I then decided to test my work and shut my windows pc down.
the music continued to play.
I then turned the power switch off on the hdd enclosure and after about 15-20 seconds, the music stopped playing and a message came up on my iPhone that the music library could no longer be found.
I then turned the hdd power switch back on and the sonos iPhone app was in pause mode.
i hit the pause button and it started playing where it left off.
the music was crisp sounding perfect as usual and all my speakers were playing.
im currently running
a sound bar, 2 x subs, 2 x play 1's & 2 x gen 2 play 5's all grouped together.
and they were all playing as per normal.
I am happy with this set up, it works as good as the on my phone did, but took some time setting up the network path from trial & error as I went along figuring it out.
you could do this with any modem/ router that has a USB inlet on it and you may (don't quote me on this) need a sonos boost box, which I have plugged into my modem.
You may be able to just use a standard external hdd also.
But I don't know wether it will need to have a power source to it to run it, as it's not running off your pc.
so I don't know if a USB powered hdd would get it's power from the modem via the USB cable, like a USB powered hdd gets its power from your pc.
something you guys will have to try.
as for setting up the hdd network path. I got my tips on doing it by googling, how to connect a shared hdd into a telstra gen 2 modem via USB and there was a telstra site that had step by step instructions to follow and was pretty simple once you got your head around it.
hope this helps ya's all out.
Just remember google is your best friend.
ask google and you will find the answers, just like I did.
You can also upload your music to google play music 50,000 tracks for FREE, but can't use GA voice control, you need a premium paid for account for that.
With andriod device you can stream directly from GPM to sonos.
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/

What the are you on about, who in right mind want to mess around with clouds
SONOS taking rip off lessons of APPLE so that you purchase play 2 or 3
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
@Dave3000 Since you own an Amp, Airplay is available to you. You problem is not as big as you think it is. Lots of people, companies and you government use clouds though, so why shouldn’t you?

Sonso has explained this has been removed because it conflicts with certain pieces of Apple software. Android users still have the feature.
Userlevel 1
Yes Dave
not everybody has a stable internet provider like you...!!! (At no fault of my own. Thanks to Australia's new you beaut NBN. That we all got shoved onto us.....).

when my internet goes down. I want to be still able to play my music..!
that is the reason that I don't want to upload my music to any cloud services
and
I have already purchased hundreds of dollars of CD's over the years & I ain't paying some other F%#K to give me access to my music every month.
I want to be able to play at anytime that I wish.
you say sonos want to rip you off by selling you another play 1 or play 5.
but your would be happy to pay a monthly fee to some streaming/cloud mob to access your music.
that makes good sense.
you enjoy your music your way
& I will enjoy mine the way I wish too....!
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
@TEZZ You seem to be one of the persons really affected by this, since you own no Airplay capable devices and you have patchy internet. For you there’s no other way to correct this than by spending a bit more money. I am sorry for you, though I understand Sonos’ reasoning behind the removal of this feature.

The cheapest options seem to be:
  • using the NAS-capability of your router (if it has one) by putting your music on a USB-stick and connecting that to your router;
  • buying a cheap Android tablet to store your music on and play it from that; or
  • buying a Sonos Symfonisk bookshelf speaker from Ikea.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the info 106Rallye.
but I'm all good now.
got my NAS setup through my modem going and am all sweet and have music playing again, even with no internet.
Badge

I only want to manage music and playlists on one device…  that is my biggest gripe about losing this feature. 

now if Sonos would sync my music and play lists on my NAS, that would work.

I only want to manage music and playlists on one device…  that is my biggest gripe about losing this feature. 

now if Sonos would sync my music and play lists on my NAS, that would work.

NAS

Playlists

Removing Airplay feature has hurt many loyal customers and SONOS should have considered that before making a decision. I purchased the Playbar and Sub six months ago.
Since they removed AirPlay feature I decided to get rid of Sonos set and purchased the B&W Formation Bar and Bass. An amazing product with all features including Bluetooth, AirPlay2 and better sound quality than Sonos, a bit more expensive but it’s worth it, just wish it was available six months ago. Bye SONOS

I hope anyone in the market looking to buy takes this in consideration, I felt betrayed as I’m sure many other SONOS owners feel.

Removing Airplay feature has hurt many loyal customers and SONOS should have considered that before making a decision. I purchased the Playbar and Sub six months ago.
Since they removed AirPlay feature I decided to get rid of Sonos set and purchased the B&W Formation Bar and Bass. An amazing product with all features including Bluetooth, AirPlay2 and better sound quality than Sonos, a bit more expensive but it’s worth it, just wish it was available six months ago. Bye SONOS

I hope anyone in the market looking to buy takes this in consideration, I felt betrayed as I’m sure many other SONOS owners feel.

They didn’t remove an “Airplay feature”.  “On this iDevice” had nothing to do with Airplay. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My Sonos system supports Airplay (Airplay2?) just fine. 

They didn’t remove an “Airplay feature”.  “On this iDevice” had nothing to do with Airplay. 

I’m confused and don’t really know the terminology but the fact is I can’t stream my purchased iTunes tracks to SONOS Playbar from my iPhone or Apple Tablet, this is something I could do when I purchased the Sonos Playbar set, something has changed and not being able to do it means a feature which was there when I purchased it had worked just fine but no longer available. I contacted Sonos and they confirmed this is no longer possible.  So in my opinion SONOS was selling a product which had a feature to stream music from iPhone but has been removed, it is available on new speakers but not on the old ones, to me seems like corporation greed and not just the fact Apple had made changes. Has mentioned before, B&W does everything has it says on the tin and I don’t think they will betray their customers as SONOS have done. I’m not advertising B&W but got to say, Formation is a great product, really happy I’ve gotten rid of Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@NowIhateShopping  The ability to play audio files on your iPhone/iPad through the Sonos app is not available on any Sonos speaker.  Old or new.  You can play audio files from your android device on any Sonos speaker.  Airplay is a new protocol that Apple created that did not exist when the playbar and other Sonos speakers were created, and they do not have the hardware capable of supporting it.  Sonos updated all the speakers that met the hardware capabilities  to be airplay compliant, including updating customers existing speakers, making no profit from that move whatsoever.

If Sonos goal was to push people to upgrade to new speakers, why enable airplay on existing speakers?  Why make this change when Sonos doesn’t currently have a newer version of the playbar to upgrade to?  

This is so dumb.  Why take a good thing and screw to up and make it complicated.  I have an electric (fake) fireplace that had an old Play 5 sitting on top of it, and I often stream fireplace sounds from a file on my phone, and now I have to go through all this just to get it to work?