Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1064 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@Discouraged If you explain what’s confusing you, maybe some of the folks here can help.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok.... So while I am one of the customers who advocated for keeping this feature- and I still think removing it was a bad decision... I thought I would share how we are managing around it.

1. We have always had a main library on a NAS... This said, we do not wish to combine all family members music into a single library... so one big library was not the direction we chose..
  2. We are not streaming service people... maybe old school... but prefer to own our music... and prefer the music on the NAS to be lossless... (most of it anyway)
  3. For the moment have found somewhat reasonable success by plugging an old Apple Airport Express which was gathering dust in a box into our Sonos Connect.... This works well as an airplay bridge of sorts-- especially given that the amplifier the Connect generally drives is only turned on if in use.
  4. This solution, while workable... and while the sound quality is better than I would have guessed... returns us to a music with workarounds household... Before investing in Sonos we had a mix of various Airplay speakers, airport express enabled etc... changing to Sonos made the whole system just work... it added elegance... So does the above work... yeah.. is it elegant... not really. Is it still better than the cobbled together airplay system yes...
This is pretty poor. My WiFi is terrible from my computer to my Sonos and it’s in a bedroom furthest away from the Sonos itself.

I get I can play a music service but like others prefer my music on the phone and indeed picked Sonos as that was a feature at the time. Yes a Bluetooth speaker could go that but I wanted to get something with a bit of quality.

can I ask how a music streaming service will work with podcasts and or audio books which I listen to?

thanks
What Sonos devices do you have?
This is a total disgrace.
£650 worth of equipment which is now useless, in an age we should be trying to stop wasting resources.
All my music was on iTunes and downloaded onto my iPad and iPhone. I own all the music and don’t intend to pay for iTunes music or amazon subs. I do have iTunes Match but the con artistes in Apple won’t allow access to the cloud version without a sub.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This is a total disgrace.
£650 worth of equipment which is now useless, in an age we should be trying to stop wasting resources.
All my music was on iTunes and downloaded onto my iPad and iPhone. I own all the music and don’t intend to pay for iTunes music or amazon subs. I do have iTunes Match but the con artistes in Apple won’t allow access to the cloud version without a sub.

If your router can accept a USB card, put your music there and access it via Music Library. Or on a NAS device. Or a free Google Play Music account.

Three solutions. One totally free, one minimal cost, or one low cost. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

But otherwise, if you consider your speakers to be useless, I’ll take them off your hands and not charge you anything.
dear sonos (and the many compliant corporate apologists I see on this thread),

you need to refund people for money for these speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@chrismatero Why? Apple made it impossible for Sonos to keep a function that was never the main purpose of Sonos (a wifi multiroom audio system). Using Sonos as a bluetooth speaker may have been easy for some, maybe, but this was never a very much intended, nor a very important function for most people.
Easy alternatives are available.

You own a Playbase, by the way, so you should be able to use Airplay. Are you heaving trouble with this?
What Sonos devices do you have?
Sonos play. The old one without Apple play.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Using your phone as a source has nothing to do with using the speakers as a wifi multiroom audio system.

If it goes against the heart and soul of what a Sonos system is supposed to be, then I propose that this functionality be immediately removed from the Android app. I mean really, who would want to stream music stored on their phone, that just goes against everything Sonos was meant to be (according to some...)
dear Apple (and the many compliant corporate apologists I see on this thread),

you need to refund people for money for these speakers.

Fixed.

What Sonos devices do you have?Sonos play. The old one without Apple play.

Then there's many other options available to you, as indicated in this thread.
I’m unhappy with this change. I am hoping Sonos will work to restore this feature that made everything work so easily for me. I’m finding the music library from my laptop clunky, and it’s not easily portable. I’ve read and don’t need anyone to re explain what to do. I’m simply registering my voice to request working to fix this issue between Apple and Sonos. Please!
I’m unhappy with this change. I am hoping Sonos will work to restore this feature that made everything work so easily for me. I’m finding the music library from my laptop clunky, and it’s not easily portable. I’ve read and don’t need anyone to re explain what to do. I’m simply registering my voice to request working to fix this issue between Apple and Sonos. Please!
In many ways they have fixed it with a thing Apple now call “Airplay-v2”, but in order to use it, you need later versions of things, like a mobile device that supports iOS 11.4 or higher/tvOS 11.4 or higher/MacOS 12.8 or higher ...and a Sonos device that supports the protocol.

I can’t see Apple wanting to reverse their decision.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@ZGirl You state “I’m finding the music library from my laptop clunky, and it’s not easily portable.” Why would you need portability with Sonos? If you point Sonos to your music on your laptop, you just leave it turned on.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In many ways they have fixed it with a thing Apple now call “Airplay-v2”, but in order to use it, you need later versions of things, like a mobile device that supports iOS 11.4 or higher/tvOS 11.4 or higher/MacOS 12.8 or higher ...and a Son

I can’t see Apple wanting to reverse their decision.

Both companies aren't standing still, if you want new features and hardware you need to update. Sometimes features are dropped, most of us are fine with this.

One thing Apple does that Sonos doesn't is if you update iOS on your Apple device you can downgrade if you choose.

IMO Sonos should allow owners to downgrade so they can keep using features they feel they paid for if their system is upgraded by mistake or they charge their minds.

I know there are company reasons to not offer downgrades- but imo it's the right thing to do. Especially as we stare down the looming demise of older players like the ZPs.
Would you be so kind as to post a link to Apple’s iOS 10 support for downgrading, which I believe was the one before they started making this process unstable?
I think this is a VERY POOR decision by Sonos (assuming they had a choice). The system should just work and be simple to use. Just look at the many comments from people in this thread who do not have the technical background or interest to use all of the workarounds listed by helpful people (who clearly are very technically savvy). However, there could be some very significant technical roadblocks put up by Apple that forced Sonos to go in this direction. Regardless of the cause, the outcome is that this change reduces the usefulness of the Sonos system for me and many others.

I find playing from IOS devices via iTunes / AirTunes gets interrupted (this morning twice in 30 minutes) while the Sonos App does not. This is not feeling very 'hi fidelity' to me. This could just be my own local technical issue but I don't have the time to sort these complex wireless, hardware and software issues out every time there is a major change. Again this stuff should just work without hours of googling and trying things. Others have noted the music will stop playing if a call comes in (e.g. i am calling about duct cleaning...).

I do have a home Mac OSX server and NAS connected to Sonos but I have been almost exclusively using my IOS Sonos apps to play music for the last while since ALL MUSIC I HAVE DOWNLOADED FROM APPLE MUSIC WILL NOT PLAY THROUGH MY SHARED LIBRARY. This is a DRM issue I assume and probably not Sonos' fault. Only purchased music will play from the shared library. However, if I played directly from my Sonos App on my IOS device, I could access all of the Apple Music downloads.

I have been a long time Sonos user and need to update / expand my gear this year. Normally, I would just buy Sonos gear. However, I will definitely look around as a result of this change as there are lots of new options now - Sonos may have lost my business (regardless if it is Sonos' fault or Apple's).
Is there a class action lawsuit yet?
Wow. I’m truly disappointed and believe I’ve been defrauded. As the owner of original generation Sonos speakers of every variety, along with a few of the newest, half my system is useless. And no, I’m not going to buy a streaming service or set up additional hardware. I bought Sonos because they advertised I could play my Apple Music directly from my phone. Now they have removed that feature. And by the way, the AirPlay solution sounds terrible (limited volume, echo, and sub woofers don’t work, and my oldest generation speakers don’t work).

I want a complete refund.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
According to this https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/ it looks like you only need a Plex Pass (the paid version of Plex) to control Sonos from the Plex app, not the other way round. I cannot check this info for you as I am a Plex Pass user.
@TEZZ. You don't appear t have any Airplay compatible Sonos speakers.

Why are you trying to use PLEX? Why not just have your music in a folder on your PC and point the Sonos music library at it?
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US
Userlevel 1
After ringing sonos today and asking them what's the go & the options to fix this issue and asking them to consider returning the (on this phone) option back to the iOS app, As it still worked fine for my family.
I spoke to Sean and he gave me the reasons on why they discontinued the on this phone option.
I now have a clearer understanding of why they did it.
its Apple that's the problem and not sonos..!
I believe sonos should still look at other options.
but it's apple that need to get their stuff together.
you can still use the ON THIS PH option on an android phone.
I asked what can we do to solve my issue and he spent some time on the phone talking me through it.
All I could do was download the sonos controller for windows onto my desktop pc and add my music libraries to the controller.
I am now able to play my music on my computer and iPhone. BUT the computer must be turned on and the sonos controller open on the pc.
another option is to buy a NAS drive and either plug that into your modem or sonos boost with a Ethernet cable and add your music onto the NAS.
You can also create seperate music folders onto the NAS for each family members music and then you can play music off your phone without having to turn the computer on,
as it will work with your sonos home network.
BUT the NAS must be MSB version 1 only, as it's the only version that is compatiable with a sonos system.
or
you can put your music on a external ssd/hdd. But again the computer must be turned on to work.
I am now playing music from my iPhone and and my emotional stability has came back to a normal level now.
so if your like me and want a easy fix.
above are your only easy options according to sonos.
sorry to the readers & sonos for my last 2 emotional rants.
I should of looked further into it before blowing up.
But I don't like blowing my cash on products that work when I buy them and they get changed to suit the manufacturer rather then me down the track.
todays technology is overrated and should go forward & not backwards like it seems to be doin regularly.....
BUT
we can all thank the knobs at Apple for this.
if you still want your ON THIS PHONE option back.
throw your iPhone and get a android.
thanks Apple
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I would like to add the following:
1) You state "I am now able to play my music on my computer and iPhone. BUT the computer must be turned on and the sonos controller open on the pc". I do not think the last part of this observation is true: the Sonos controller is just a remote control; the Sonos devices look for the music on your PC themselves once you have pointed them (via the controller) to the right folder - a one time move.
2) If you put music on an external hard drive and own a router that can make that work as a NAS device your PC doesn't have to be on;
3) You've not mentioned the Google Music Free option (max 50.00 songs), that doesn't need an investment in hardware at all.