Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1096 replies

You have to admit, though - It’s a little suspect though, don’t you think?Admit what? That people can't go with one of the many alternatives that are available?

This thread is still going?!

Why has it not been closed? No productive discussions are happening, just tantrums.
I disagree. Just today I got some valuable insights re: iOS and this thread should be open because not everyone does the update on the first day it's issued. I just did it last night and was unpleasantly surprised.
This seems to be a big shift in the SONOS product for many of the core audience and having the ability to have a discussion for a half year doesn't seem too much to ask. To close it down earlier would be yet more tone deafness that the tech industry is notoriously known for.
Tone deafness?

The feature has been removed.
Alternatives have been listed. Pick one or two.
Not much else to discuss here.

Stammering your feet and complaining will get you nowhere. Looking at one of the options and making the choice of what works best for you is more productive than complaining.

Easiest long term solution? Get away from Apple.
Android users are unaffected by this decision.

Another easy solution that will allow you to keep your apple devices? Buy a $99 Symfonisk bookshelf speaker and airplay to that. Group that speaker with the rest of your system.

well run companies, which SONOS is despite this issue, like to give their customers plenty of room to weigh in and even blow off steam if need be because without the client they have nothing. The approach essentially, saying here’s what we are going to do, you can take this, that or take it on the arches sends a message of arrogance (Apple) and not client focused. Also it’s stamping feet, stammering is a manner of garbled speech, also know as tripping over words.

I disagree. Just today I got some valuable insights re: iOS and this thread should be open because not everyone does the update on the first day it's issued. I just did it last night and was unpleasantly surprised.

The ability to play audio from your iOS device was removed 3 weeks ago, not during the recent upgrade.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/on-this-iphone-or-ipad-no-longer-available-6829000
All the more reason that closing down this forum would add insult to injury
You have to admit, though - It’s a little suspect though, don’t you think?
I don't think it changes anything. The same could be said already about the Sonos One, and others have said it. The fact remains that there are other options that involve no new Sonos kit, or even no new kit at all.

Undoubtedly the fact that all new Sonos products will have Airplay 2 (presumably) is a factor here. 'On this iPhone' was already destined to become increasingly redundant for iOS users within the Sonos user population.

But the cynical will remain cynical, and the trusting will remain trusting, and the dialog of the deaf between them will no doubt continue.

The ability to play audio from your iOS device was removed 3 weeks ago, not during the recent upgrade.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/on-this-iphone-or-ipad-no-longer-available-6829000

Maybe the app rollout happens at different times in different locales but I only got the update that killed 'On this iPhone' about a week ago

Maybe the app rollout happens at different times in different locales but I only got the update that killed 'On this iPhone' about a week ago

It wasn't an update, and it wasn't rolled out at different times, it was ended for everyone on August 20. Maybe you don't use it as often as you think, and just didn't notice it was gone.
Userlevel 1

It wasn't an update, and it wasn't rolled out at different times, it was ended for everyone on August 20. Maybe you don't use it as often as you think, and just didn't notice it was gone.

Well that's certainly not true as it is still working for me at present, but then I've not updated my app (from 10.2.2) or the three sonos play:1. On this phone works just fine for my iphone and I'd rather keep it that way. My internet is too poor for streaming (radio play drops out), my router doesn't support files and I don't have a computer that can be left on. Any other solutions that I've missed?

My wife on the other hand is mightily annoyed because she accidentally updated and lost the feature, so she can only get radio that stops and starts.

I'm also pretty miffed with myself as I was considering a bluetooth speaker solution before going for sonos. #wishicouldturnbacktime
May I ask, is your Sonos system connected to a router that is connected to the internet? (It doesn't need the internet to play local music)

I find myself wondering if your internet connection is so ropey that the change has not been able to take effect on your system. I would expect that a system would only change when next connected solidly to the internet post 20 August.
Userlevel 1
May I ask, is your Sonos system connected to a router that is connected to the internet? (It doesn't need the internet to play local music)

I find myself wondering if your internet connection is so ropey that the change has not been able to take effect on your system. I would expect that a system would only change when next connected solidly to the internet post 20 August.

Yes the Sonos is connected to the router.
Userlevel 1
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

This makes my blood boil. How are customers Sonos with spotty web access supposed to listen to music?

We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.
This makes my blood boil. How are customers Sonos with spotty web access supposed to listen to music?

For example, by storing it on a NAS, computer, flash drive in router..... like users did pre-2012 and many of us have continued to do. As repeated a thousand times on this thread. Including the announcement post you quoted.

Yes the Sonos is connected to the router.

Sonos could not function at all otherwise. My question is whether your internet connection, which you have indicated is terrible, is so bad that the change has not been able to be effected. @jgatie is correct. This was a one off change at the same time for everyone and did not involve a software update in the usual sense. But clearly (I think it is clear anyway) if a system were isolated from the internet no change could take place. I am speculating (and it is only that) that you are effectively in that position.

I'm also pretty miffed with myself as I was considering a bluetooth speaker solution before going for sonos. #wishicouldturnbacktime

I don't think it requires the benefit of hindsight to say that a person whose use case is a single speaker (if I understand correctly), playing only from mobile devices, operating in a home with terrible internet, should have bought a Bluetooth speaker, not Sonos. I think the best advice in your case is to cut your losses, sell the Sonos and buy a Bluetooth speaker. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.
Badge +1

It wasn't an update, and it wasn't rolled out at different times, it was ended for everyone on August 20. Maybe you don't use it as often as you think, and just didn't notice it was gone.Well that's certainly not true as it is still working for me at present, but then I've not updated my app (from 10.2.2) or the three sonos play:1. On this phone works just fine for my iphone and I'd rather keep it that way. My internet is too poor for streaming (radio play drops out), my router doesn't support files and I don't have a computer that can be left on. Any other solutions that I've missed?

I agree with dpstevens, I can still use the feature with my app v 10.3.1.

Now I should mention that I don't use this feature as I only bought into Sonos earlier this year with a mix of Sonos One G1 & G2 and mostly use the controller with our Apple Family Plan or my own library which is on my iMac, occasionally use Airplay.

So it would appear to me the update after 10.3.1 finally removed the feature.
I always hold off updating important apps as they can introduce new bugs.
Can someone please tell me the simplest and least expensive way to fix this? I have itunes on a mac and have been playing my music library from my mac / iphone on sonos without issues for nearly ten years. I do not understand why this changed but am happy to make a minimal investment to continue using my library and sonos system the way I am accustomed. I do not understand the list of options that have been provided to solve this. The beauty of sonos from the start was its simplicity. I am disappointed that is gone and the lack of information provided to solve this.

Also, I don't know why Lyricist I is showing on this post.
For you, it's as simple as storing your music on your Mac, using iTunes.

Then just follow the instructions here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US&utm_medium=manage&utm_source=doc-care&utm_content=english-doc-care-manage
Thank you Bruce.

Ironically, that's where I started today and I found these instructions:

Adding your music library using a desktop controller

1. From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
  2. Click + (plus) on a Mac, or “Add” if you are using a PC.
  3. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  4. Type in your computer's password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.
So far, despite my best efforts, I have not been able to find the "manage" menu.

Any tips??
Top left. Menus File, Edit, Manage, Help. Is the controller maximised on the screen?
Thank you John! Maximizing the controller was the key!!

Music library is downloaded and available on both my mac and iPhone. I'm very grateful for this forum and those of you who share your knowledge and help!!

Okay, minor udate. Some of my music is missing. How do I sync to ensure it's all there?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Everybody maybe this is the solution to this and it works very well
on any older Sonos model https://avantrec.github.io/sonoplus
and on any iPhone iPad or IOS version.
YOU GET AIRPLAY back
There should be an "update music index now" button in that same area. It sometimes takes several minutes to run, depending on the size of your library, which particular speaker is doing the work, and the speed of your internet.
Thank you John! Maximizing the controller was the key!!

Music library is downloaded and available on both my mac and iPhone. I'm very grateful for this forum and those of you who share your knowledge and help!!

Okay, minor udate. Some of my music is missing. How do I sync to ensure it's all there?

If you look in the Folders view in your Sonos music library is all the music there?
No, it's in my itunes music library but not showing up in my new sonos music library.
Possibilities include;
1. Missing or incrrect tagging data in the file (although I would have expected the folders view to reproduce all the subfolders wven if music not under Artists etc)
2. Network issues during the indexing. (Try again)
3. Pointing library at only a subset of music.
4. Filetypes Sonos cannot read. Unlikely if worked on your phone.
Tried various ‘free’ options. All very confusing to me. Sonos WAS simple and very effective. Used to love listening to my music on Sonos Play1. Guess the best idea is to look else where even though it may cost me.

I was trusting but guess I am now one of those cynical, deaf folks.