Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1092 replies

I purchased the Sonos System because of the mobile support for the IOS music library. Now your'e taking it away?? Re-architect your software and fix the issues. Eliminating the functionality is not a fix. I have invested thousands of dollars in your systems. Can I get my money back?

I also bought your system so I could take my IOS Library to friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Now that will also be eliminated. What is the solution for that?
Can I get an amen?!? Not sure how Sonos is getting away with this side stepping of the issue!! I too want my money back or full credit back so that I can move on from this nightmare. I can't believe so many folks are actively working on a workaround yet Sonos is too busy spending their budget on a new "workaround product" and ditching their customers.
Ok, firstly I am actually relieved that the horrendous stability issues I’ve had with the “on my iPhone” feature for the past 2 years are finally explained and, with a bit of fiddling, resolved.

What grinds my gears here, though, is what can only be described as either the dishonesty (at worst) or an incompetent communications approach from Sonos (at best) over that period. I understand this is not an issue they caused, but what I don’t understand is why they couldn’t have been upfront with us 12 or 18 months ago. Instead I spent hours in this forum researching various fixesto the glitches that wererendering my system completely unlistenable. The prevailing theory for a while was wifi interference. In response I sunk a couple of hundred bucks on an uncessary Boost. Similarly, I spent to update my router. I spent ages switching wifi channel to avoid the theorised “interference”. I spent more hours assigning static IP addresses to all the devices connected to our wifi system, and isolating everything else to 5G channel to keep Sonos as isloated as possible.

My son wanted a sonos speaker for his birthday, so I got him a Play1. I didnt get an airplay compatable One because it was more expensive and Sonos had given no indication of its intention to switch off on my iphone until earlier this year. Similarly, when I wanted a new playbar for the second TV I went with the tradtional (non airplay compatable) playbar rather than the playbase because I love the sound of my other playbar and wasn’t convinced the playbase would be as good. If id had known then (only a year or so ago) that airplay would soon be required I obviously would have gone with the playbase.

Luckily I do have a 2nd gen 5, so I can use the airplay approach outlined in this post. But now my son can’t listen to his own music on his speaker at the same time as I’m listening, because its not airplay compatable, even though that tech existed when I purchased it and presumably Sonos knew this was the way things were heading then.

Eventually I will explore the NAS option, but I am time poor, and it still sticks in my craw to have to spend even more money to get my system working as it did when I first got it 4 years ago. I refuse to use streaming services as I am an old muso and actually want to support artists by buying their product rather than fork out yet more money to silicon valley billionaires.

So, Sonos, I hope you have or will learn something from this debacle: about honesty, integrity, and treating your customers with respect rather than sending them down unnecessary rabbit holes because you didn’t want to admit that your software is no longer as compatable as it was with Apple products.

As I said, I’m relieved I can now listen to my music on my sonically beloved sonos system without it cutting out halfway through a song. But gee whiz, a lot of heartache could have been avoided.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Steve C 71 Wouldn't the free Google Music solution be something to consider for you and your son?
@Steve C 71 Wouldn't the free Google Music solution be something to consider for you and your son?

Probably. But that wasn't really the point I was making.

Re your suggestion, I'm sure Google Music is a workable way forward but a) I don't really want to have to upload to Google hours of music I've written and recorded myself and which is not available online, and b) I really shouldn't have to use the cloud to access music that I have sitting on my own devices.

The main point I was making, however, was that I am decidedly annoyed at now discovering that I uncessarily spent a lot of time and quite a bit of money trying to fix a problem based on flawed advice when I'm sure Sonos already knew the root cause of it and what the ultimate fix would be. If they had have just been honest or proactive in their comms I wouldn't have wasted that time/money and I would have been better prepared for ulimately where we have landed.

I submitted several diagnotistics over the course of this saga with titles like "Sonos skipping tracks" and received replies such as "Based on what I'm seeing here in the diagnostic it would appear that the system was experiencing an error reaching your phone as a source. Generally this issue lies between the connection from the router to the phone though without seeing the system perform in person I cannot say that this is what was happening definitively" (emphasis added).

This sort of advice led me to invest time and money trying to fix these apparent connection issues. There was never any suggestion from Sonos that the problem was in fact caused by Airplay incompatability with the "on this iPhone" feature in their own software or that connecting via the same dreaded Airplay was the likely solution to the instability issue for iphone/ipad users.

As I said in my previous post, I'm actually glad I can again listen to music from my iphone on my sonos system without tracks skipping (albeit with a few extra steps). I also accept that with some further investment of time (eg Google Music) or money (eg NAS) I can resolve the issue of only being able to listen to one source of music on different speakers at any one time. But that doesn't mean I should be at all happy or satisfied with the way this has been (mis)handled by Sonos for the past 2 and half years.
It’s been pointed out hundreds of times over the years on these forums that playing from your phone, either via AirPlay or “on this device” is vastly inferior to using a NAS.

Sonos with a NAS requires very little of your phone, as the Sonos app is merely a remote to start and stop the music. The phone can be shut off completely once the music starts, as it’s out of the loop.

I doubt that Sonos has ever recommended “from this device” as a first choice, but merely as a nice to have for infrequent use.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Steve C 71 If indeed at no point you where told that the problems you where experiencing where caused by the “On this iPhone” feature, I can understand that you’re annoyed.
It’s been pointed out hundreds of times over the years on these forums that playing from your phone, either via AirPlay or “on this device” is vastly inferior to using a NAS.

Sonos with a NAS requires very little of your phone, as the Sonos app is merely a remote to start and stop the music. The phone can be shut off completely once the music starts, as it’s out of the loop.

I doubt that Sonos has ever recommended “from this device” as a first choice, but merely as a nice to have for infrequent use.

A NAS also cuts out the wireless 'hop' from phone to router and therefore eliminates one potential 'point of failure '. Although many users may experience no problems with playing from the mobile device, it is inherently less stable than a NAS.
This is rubbish and like other state, a misrepresentation from previous sales blogs, which sold the ability to play what’s on your phone.
i want to play podcasts as they go live. Why do I want to download them to a PC? Why do I have to have an ITunes account to listen to a podcast? This is horrendous.
Disappointed in the route being taken by this company. I certainly won’t be purchasing any more products from yourselves.
This is rubbish and like other state, a misrepresentation from previous sales blogs, which sold the ability to play what’s on your phone.
i want to play podcasts as they go live. Why do I want to download them to a PC? Why do I have to have an ITunes account to listen to a podcast? This is horrendous.
Disappointed in the route being taken by this company. I certainly won’t be purchasing any more products from yourselves.

Huh? Why would you download a podcast to listen to it? Most can be listened to online. I use the Alexa skills AnyPod and Stitcher, which both work great with Sonos. Most services now have podcasting built in, as well.
So now they've actually removed 'On this iPhone' I was forced to try one of the 'additional options' so I copied all my music files to a NAS connected directly to my router and pointed the Sonos app at the NAS.

The good news is that it works, I can play my music.

The bad news is that some of the artwork is now wrong. I believe the mp3s that had the artwork embedded are fine but the files you've manually assigned artwork to in iTunes are problematic. If you've done this then Sonos wants an individual folder for the file and its artwork and this may very well not be the way that your files are structured having come from being used for iTunes.

Upshot is I can still use my two Play 1 speakers but I now have two music libraries instead of one (the one on my NAS and the one on my PC) and I have to do a load of restructuring of the files on the NAS to get the correct artwork to show up for every album/song - ballache !

Conclusion is that, like many many other people, I still feel screwed by SONOS and won't be buying or recommending any of their products again for fear that a feature will be removed.
The latest update really has screwed the pooch. So much so that tomorrow I will have $2500 worth of Sonos equipment on eBay. They removed the ability for one to simply play music from their iOS device. Previously one had the ability to select “play music on this on this device” and bam! There is was. Now that is not possible. What is possible is loading your music on to a server somewhere then having it connect to Sonos or get a NAS drive or subscription to some Apple thing. Complicated, complicated, complicated. The best thing of all about Sonos was that it sounded great and was NOT COMPLICATED. Seems Sonos is going the way of all ground-breaking tech; from initially near perfect to speeding toward sucksville. It was fun while it lasted.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I understand you are frustrated by this, though I do not agree with you that the solutions you state above are all very complicated. To me it would be complicated (and expensive) to buy an iPhone with a large memory just so it would hold all my music - which in my case wouldn’t even be possible. But, since you own a Beam and a Playbar, the effect of the removal of the “On this iPhone”-feature could be limited for you. Just group the Airplay-capable devces with the non-Airplay-capable devices. Yes it’s one step extra, but is that really so bad?
Yes it is. And you know why? Because that's what everyone says, just 2 clicks, just another step or 2, just hook this up to that. and then what? It's death by a 1000 extra steps. Everything has gotten this way. I really just wanted to play the few playlists on my phone on my speaker. That's what I used it for and that's why I bought it. Now it can't do that without additional complication. I am not buying a NAS drive and figuring all that out, I don't need another subscription or network or sub-net that hooks to this or that. To people that spend their lives in technology I am sure this is all very easy. Just like a surgeon thinks stitches are no big deal. But I don't want to give myself stitches and I don't feel much like just one more step-- because it's never only one extra step.
So now they've actually removed 'On this iPhone' I was forced to try one of the 'additional options' so I copied all my music files to a NAS connected directly to my router and pointed the Sonos app at the NAS.

The good news is that it works, I can play my music.

The bad news is that some of the artwork is now wrong. I believe the mp3s that had the artwork embedded are fine but the files you've manually assigned artwork to in iTunes are problematic. If you've done this then Sonos wants an individual folder for the file and its artwork and this may very well not be the way that your files are structured having come from being used for iTunes.

Upshot is I can still use my two Play 1 speakers but I now have two music libraries instead of one (the one on my NAS and the one on my PC) and I have to do a load of restructuring of the files on the NAS to get the correct artwork to show up for every album/song - ballache !

Conclusion is that, like many many other people, I still feel screwed by SONOS and won't be buying or recommending any of their products again for fear that a feature will be removed.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Thank you @Sonos-user for providing a perfect example of what I was rambling about-- COMPLICATED.
Had Sonos products for less than 24 months, play 3 and two play 1’s, now I can’t play my own music from them? Ridiculous.....corporate madness.....back to Bluetooth or even wired for me.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes it is. And you know why? Because that's what everyone says, just 2 clicks, just another step or 2, just hook this up to that. and then what? It's death by a 1000 extra steps. Everything has gotten this way. I really just wanted to play the few playlists on my phone on my speaker. That's what I used it for and that's why I bought it. Now it can't do that without additional complication. I am not buying a NAS drive and figuring all that out, I don't need another subscription or network or sub-net that hooks to this or that. To people that spend their lives in technology I am sure this is all very easy. Just like a surgeon thinks stitches are no big deal. But I don't want to give myself stitches and I don't feel much like just one more step-- because it's never only one extra step.

I think it's important to realize that that isn't a direction Sonos wanted to go, but where pushed to go because of changes made to the iOS. Regardless of whether you believe Sonos should just find a way to fix the issue irrespective of cost or what have you, I don't think you could make a credible arguement that Sonos would have dropped this feature, keeping it with android, even if iOS made no changes. I'd even say airplay isn't exactly something wanted to do, but need to do in order to stay competitive.

But none of that matter to the customer who doesn't want to get their music a different way. And if Sonos doesn't work for you anymore, then putting Sonos up for sale makes sense. I would recommend though that you shop for your next system with using more standard audio delivery methods, like bluetooth or wired connections, and involving as few interfaces/support companies as possible. That's going to reduce the chance that your favorite feature gets removed before you're ready to move on to something else.
Just put all three in eBay now as it happens.....bye bye Sonos.....

Yes it is. And you know why? Because that's what everyone says, just 2 clicks, just another step or 2, just hook this up to that. and then what? It's death by a 1000 extra steps. Everything has gotten this way. I really just wanted to play the few playlists on my phone on my speaker. That's what I used it for and that's why I bought it. Now it can't do that without additional complication. I am not buying a NAS drive and figuring all that out, I don't need another subscription or network or sub-net that hooks to this or that. To people that spend their lives in technology I am sure this is all very easy. Just like a surgeon thinks stitches are no big deal. But I don't want to give myself stitches and I don't feel much like just one more step-- because it's never only one extra step.I think it's important to realize that that isn't a direction Sonos wanted to go, but where pushed to go because of changes made to the iOS. Regardless of whether you believe Sonos should just find a way to fix the issue irrespective of cost or what have you, I don't think you could make a credible arguement that Sonos would have dropped this feature, keeping it with android, even if iOS made no changes. I'd even say airplay isn't exactly something wanted to do, but need to do in order to stay competitive.

But none of that matter to the customer who doesn't want to get their music a different way. And if Sonos doesn't work for you anymore, then putting Sonos up for sale makes sense. I would recommend though that you shop for your next system with using more standard audio delivery methods, like bluetooth or wired connections, and involving as few interfaces/support companies as possible. That's going to reduce the chance that your favorite feature gets removed before you're ready to move on to something else.

Thanks Danny that is helpful. You make a good point. I am familiar with the tyrannical nature of Apple and their precious iOS. It's what almost put them out of business decades ago if not for the dominant foothold they had in the creative community market. Were it not for FaceTime, which having a child with a speech delay is the preferred way we communicate when not together, I would dump the whole Apple world straight away. Again thanks for the advice. I am going to dust off my old Pioneer SX-3700 Receiver, get a pair of Bowers & Wilkins speakers and go ol' skool audio.
Userlevel 3
And would you believe it......just a matter of days after Sonos disable a feature that is clearly still used by a number of customers, it seems they have produced a new speaker (the One SL) that is an exact replacement for your Play:1, BUT with AirPlay 2.....yours for only £179/ea....or £358 for the pair most people would replace.
For those defending Sonos and saying they are not serving their own profits by disabling a function that still works, I think we have the answer right here.
And would you believe it......just a matter of days after Sonos disable a feature that is clearly still used by a number of customers, it seems they have produced a new speaker (the One SL) that is an exact replacement for you Play:1, BUT with AirPlay 2.....yours for only £179/ea....or £358 for the pair most people would replace.
For those defending Sonos and saying they are not serving their own profits by disabling a function that still works, I think we have the answer right here.

And yet in the "Save the CR100" thread, the people who lost support for their CR100 cursed Sonos up and down for not creating a modern replacement for the CR100.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
This thread is still going?!

Why has it not been closed? No productive discussions are happening, just tantrums.
Userlevel 3
You have to admit, though - It’s a little suspect though, don’t you think?

Why has it not been closed? No productive discussions are happening, just tantrums.

I disagree. Just today I got some valuable insights re: iOS and this thread should be open because not everyone does the update on the first day it's issued. I just did it last night and was unpleasantly surprised.
This seems to be a big shift in the SONOS product for many of the core audience and having the ability to have a discussion for a half year doesn't seem too much to ask. To close it down earlier would be yet more tone deafness that the tech industry is notoriously known for.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Admit what? That people can't go with one of the many alternatives that are available?

I disagree. Just today I got some valuable insights re: iOS and this thread should be open because not everyone does the update on the first day it's issued. I just did it last night and was unpleasantly surprised.
This seems to be a big shift in the SONOS product for many of the core audience and having the ability to have a discussion for a half year doesn't seem too much to ask. To close it down earlier would be yet more tone deafness that the tech industry is notoriously known for.

Tone deafness?

The feature has been removed.
Alternatives have been listed. Pick one or two.
Not much else to discuss here.

Stammering your feet and complaining will get you nowhere. Looking at one of the options and making the choice of what works best for you is more productive than complaining.

Easiest long term solution? Get away from Apple.
Android users are unaffected by this decision.

Another easy solution that will allow you to keep your apple devices? Buy a $99 Symfonisk bookshelf speaker and airplay to that. Group that speaker with the rest of your system.

All this "suspicion" is blown away when you realize that Bluesound also had to remove their "On this iDevice" function right around the same time Sonos started having problems with it (iOS 12 release), and instead of tiptoeing around it like Sonos, they threw Apple right under the bus:

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360018938314-Where-has-play-from-device-gone

Thank you for getting back to me.
In order to create a more robust experience through our BluOS system, play from mobile was removed due to security risks on iOS and for the arrival of Airplay 2 to be used alongside our new Gen 2i lineup.This has been the case since IOS 12 and Android 8.0.0. The decision to remove this function was not due to Bluesound, but had to be taken out under pressure from Google and Apple.