Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1101 replies

When 'playing from the device' was added I tried it, but it was less robust and had no advantages for me over playing from the NAS. As I am on Android, I will continue to have the option of playing from my phone. I still won't be using it.

Exactly. Using a NAS to play owned tracks is much more reliable via use of Sonosnet. And it leaves the phone free for use as such, with a longer battery charge life. Even if it means a NAS has to be bought, that is a worthwhile investment of a hundred bucks if purchased music has remained a significant source, an investment that will deliver a better listening experience than the feature that is to be deleted. But folks need to get over the first pique heavy reaction to see this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have a classical music library that I’ve cultivated for years, most downloaded from CDs I spent a lot of time chasing down from my previous cassette collection, some of those previously from records. These are “my” versions of the songs, and what is provided by streaming services are not the same, not acceptable.

How did you convert your CDs directly to the portable device, out of curiosity? I’ve always thought it was more typical to go via the computer hard drive - which could therefore very easily be configured to be the music source from which to play.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I have a classical music library that I’ve cultivated for years, most downloaded from CDs I spent a lot of time chasing down from my previous cassette collection, some of those previously from records. These are “my” versions of the songs, and what is provided by streaming services are not the same, not acceptable.
How did you convert your CDs directly to the portable device, out of curiosity? I’ve always thought it was more typical to go via the computer hard drive - which could therefore very easily be configured to be the music source from which to play.

This is the interesting question, for those who are going to really miss this feature (and not the "gimmick" of place-shifting your downloaded iTunes tracks from playing through headphones to playing through your house).

If you rely on iTunes downloads or CD rips on an iOS device as a main Sonos music source, you presumably have those tracks on a hard drive somewhere, ready to sync with the next phone/tablet/iPod you buy. If you've been using your iOS device so you don't need to buy a NAS or leave the laptop on, then yes, you're going to need to rethink where your local library lives. If the only copy of your music you have is on your phone, then you have bigger problems...
Userlevel 1
I’m very disappointed. We have a couple of play:1 speakers and exclusively play music from iPhones. We don’t have a computer that can be permanently left on for music (it’s not always at home), although it does work for playing music. A streaming service isn’t really an option as radio play stops and starts due to slow broadband. Any solution is going to require buying something.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The alternatives described do not work for me. I have a NAS with the music which is fine and apparently unaffected. But on the iphone I download podcasts which I listen to on the SONOS or while travelling car or train. Some of the podcasts are months old before I get to listen to them.
My SONOS hardware is not compatible with Apple AirPlay. I am disappointed by the loss of this feature on SONOS. I share the sentiment of the posters fearing SONOS prematurely removing features or expecting us to invest yet more money in SONOS.
Userlevel 1
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

This is a disastrous decision by Sonos and will force me to sell my play 3 speaker in eBay!! 😡😡 the reason this is a huge backward step is the powers that be are directing people to streaming services. CD’s people bought, converted and uploaded to iOS devices will now find their music unplayable though older sonos systems.
Also legally purchased and downloaded bootlegs which have been uploaded to iOS devices will now also be rendered unplayable on older sonos systems!
This decision is pathetic, short sighted and pure greed as it’s forcing existing owners of sonos systems to spend hundreds of pounds on new systems where the only upgrade is airplay 2 compatibility.
ebay here Sonos play comes, Bose, let’s see what you have got!! 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yeah. Bose, that'll work, maybe for a year or two.

But seriously if you like you music, make a cheap Nas from a raspberry pi. If you have a spare hd it will only cost £50 and a far better way to store your music and is now Sonos was intended to be used. The play from this phone feature is not ideal anyway as it relies on the phone being on etc.

Seriously, yes it's annoying if you have become dependent on this feature but give the Nas solution a chance.
Userlevel 4
Sure seem to be a few apologists for Sonos not investing the proper amount of time, money, R&D and effort to fix this problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sure seem to be a few apologists for Sonos not investing the proper amount of time, money, R&D and effort to fix this problem.
Really? This is an Apple issue, and if you have ever dealt with Apple you will know it's their way or the highway. I'm more than willing to have a go at Sonos when it's their problem, but this ain't that.

Apple clearly wants companies tomuse airplay2 and Sonos have provided this, they will keep their own play from iPhone for their own speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yep. Good observation.

Because of this, I suggest that as well as posting comments here, those who are affected by the loss of this feature should do two things:

1- Write directly to the company about it.

2- Write or talk to the retailer/installer who sold you your system. in my case, the guy who sold me my $3,000 system made a big point of this feature. If the retailers hear enough complaints from buyers they’ll put some pressure on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
This is the end of my Sonos usage. Using Sonos directly from the phone was THE reason to spend over $700 on speakers and now that feature will be gone.

I don’t care if Apple was the reason. I’m not setting up an NAS - that was the whole point of buying the Sonos - to avoid needing an NAS or leaving a computer on. I won’t be buying Apple speakers, that’s for use. Nor new Sonos speakers. We’ll figure out a different solution that will last beyond throwing hundreds of dollars away for a few years of usage.
Userlevel 2
Booo! I never had a problem playing from my iOS device but my speakers don’t support airplay. I was an early and loyal customer. Booo!
Userlevel 1
shame on you - in the near future there is no reason to use Sonos anymore. Why do you remove simply to use functions from your app? incomprehensible - SONO
Userlevel 1
When I saw this announcement, I honestly thought you have to be kidding me. For the last few years users have experienced continuous faults with music cutting out through iOS controllers due to interference, terrible controller updates, increasingly intrusive terms of service, and now cutting out the essential feature that I bought the system for in the first place. What was simple you've made annoyingly complicated and frustrating. Sonos has become a master class in how to take an excellent product and downgrade it into irrelevance.

The primary reason I purchased your speakers is that it would play tracks stored on an iOS device. Do you really think I'm going set up network hard drives or pay for new services I don't want so I can create some kind of workaround?

Are you going to trade in all my older Play 3 and Play 5s for new speakers that function on AirPlay?

While I'm not unsympathetic to the fact that the change is probably somehow the result of an iOS update, frankly that isn't a problem and I should have to shouldn't have to solve. You're the technology company you should solve it, and eliminating functionality is not a solution. It certainly isn't how to keep me as a customer.

Frankly, you've taken a product which I loved and enjoyed and turned it into a massive disappointment. If it was just this one issue, maybe I could take it ... but it has just been unending.
shame on you - in the near future there is no reason to use Sonos anymore. Why do you remove simply to use functions from your app? incomprehensible - SONO
Please read the reasons given in the original announcement.. it is perfectly comprehensible. Unwelcome, perhaps, but not incomprehensible.

This decision is pathetic, short sighted and pure greed as it’s forcing existing owners of sonos systems to spend hundreds of pounds on new systems where the only upgrade is airplay 2 compatibility.
ebay here Sonos play comes, Bose, let’s see what you have got!! 😡😡😡😡😡😡

I'm not seeing why the decision is short sighted. Do you think the number of people looking for this feature is large or expanding? Are you suggesting that the cost associated with trying to fix this issue, as well as future problems that will pop up when iOS changes again, and the frustrated customers who aren't happy because the feature isn't stable is definitely less than the cost due to frustrated customers because the feature isn't supported any more? I can't definitely say that, don't have the data. I'd actually say that Sonos has made similar (too many IMO) decisions like this over the past year, always accompanied by customers claiming that this will be the end of Sonos. Yet Sonos continues to sell well. Maybe this will be the last straw, but I don't see much info to support this.

As far as greed goes, I'm not sure how you can conclude this. Sonos is a business just like any other and exists to make a profit. How much profit is acceptable before it becomes greed? Where is the line between what costs are reasonable and when reducing costs is greed? Why is it a customer can conclude Sonos is greedy when they have no idea what those costs are? How much salary can a Sonos employee expect before it becomes greed, and how much profit can an investor expect?

Pathetic? Subjective term for sure, and opinions are free. However, as I pointed out already, you're making a lot of assumptions when drawing that conclusion.

To be clear, I'm not saying users who depend on this feature shouldn't be frustrated. From a user point of view, it's surely very frustrating. If it were me who wanted the feature, and there was another product option out there that made sense, I'd be looking to. I've always said that Sonos doesn't meet everyone's needs, or every situations needs. Even if switching doesn't get you better functionality, but makes you feel better, then go for it.
Danny. Balanced, realistic and perceptive post as always. Rare qualities on this and related threads.
Even if switching doesn't get you better functionality, but makes you feel better, then go for it.
What are viable options, by the way? Home pods, I guess. What else?
Badge

Even if switching doesn't get you better functionality, but makes you feel better, then go for it.What are viable options, by the way? Home pods, I guess. What else?

I wouldn't assume Sonos' tech support is going to host a thread which advocates their competitor's products. Might try to ask this question on other forums, FB groups, etc.

Even if switching doesn't get you better functionality, but makes you feel better, then go for it.What are viable options, by the way? Home pods, I guess. What else?

I wouldn't assume Sonos' tech support is going to host a thread which advocates their competitor's products. Might try to ask this question on other forums, FB groups, etc.

The forums are actually pretty liberal about that sort of thing. They discourage any one from trying to sell products here, but let it slide as long as reasonable. Also are pretty good at allowing comparison between Sonos and other products, and don't mind people recommending other products if it's a better fit. But you're right in the sense that other forums may be a better place to get details about other products.

As far as the question goes, I think it's highly dependent on the features that interest you most. Homepods are a lousy fit for me personally as I don't have an iPhone or use Apple music. As far as replacing the ability to play off the iphone, anything with airplay or bluetooth support would be a viable option, and there are a lot of them out there. I don't know of anything that will read files off your phone and does not use airplay or bluetooth to do it.
Userlevel 2

Do you think the number of people looking for this feature is large or expanding?

Well I for one am a new owner of Sonos after using a friends now and then for about three years. We bought a Beam in March and a One two weeks ago. As a confessed Apple fan boy I passed on HomePod in favor of Sonos when we made the change to wireless audio with our entertainment setup.

One of my main reasons to go Sonos was the queue feature that could be loaded with random tracks stored on my iPhone. I've learned to do this quite well before I bought my system. When our friend hosts a party for a few of us, they all love that I can queue up songs from my iPhone onto his Sonos system. I will fill the queue with songs from Amazon Prime Music (~10%) and 90% music from my "10,000 songs in my pocket". If I need a missing track I'll buy it on itunes. I just don't need a streaming service. Also others can add a track to the queue as they see fit. I don't see how I can do that remotely. While a NAS or my iMac may serve as a replacement at my home these methods will not be able to replace this feature at a remote location.

What I don't understand is the explanation that this feature "has become unreliable". I've NEVER HAD A MORE RELIABLE INTERFACE for a third party device as I have with the Sonos app on my iPhone. If this is going to break with iOS 13 then say so, but don't act like its a piece of crap as is needing to be tossed out.

If this is an iOS 13 issue, PLEASE consider giving us a new app for iOS 13 and letting any of us that love this feature keep the old app on iOS 12.

Alternately, can THE BEST wireless audio company rewrite this function into their app in a way that it DOESN'T break in the next iOS version? With as much response this thread has received I'd say its not a forgotten, worthless feature.

Randy
Sonos,

Any chance of an AFFORDABLE dongle that would enable Airplay 2 on my $700 Playbar? Or how about enabling Airplay via the pair of Sonos Ones that are bonded to the Playbar as the back surrounds? Those are Airplay capable but not when bonded.

Failing those two options, I will now have an expensive home theater system that is no longer able to play items straight off my iOS device. Maybe Bluetooth should have been available after all....
Why not just add an Apple TV? It's relatively cheap, will connect to your TV with HDMI, and you can use AirPlay 2 to connect to it from your iOS device, and get the audio to your PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@RipStop, any newer Sonos player will be able to group with a Playbar to bring AirPlay 2(keep in mind, this would be as a separate room in the Sonos app, not bonded as surrounds). This includes SYMFONISK lamp and shelf speakers. For the best functionality, more than the "On this iPhone" had even, a NAS drive or computer share is the best option.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

This is in essence forced redundancy that pushes people to subscribe to services where additional revenue is made. Line in now doesn't work properly on stereo pairs and now you impose this change the only option will involve subscriptions as controlling the media held on PC has also become problematical. Technology has evolved to where the manufacture can force if they choose to and justify my speakers no longer working as they did. They can even control it working properly if they choose to. We are forced to have data sharing accounts and are relying on the absolute integrity of a company owned by Private Equity. If we couldn't trust VW can we trust SONOS? Even it's forums appear awash with partial participants. Did I pay for some speakers to own them of for the manufacturer to own me?! I think a class action is valid here. Anyone want to join me? Refunds for all Gen 1.