Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1094 replies

Userlevel 2
@Chicks

Yes. And the world is flat and the moon landings were faked. What all of these statements have in common is a lack of proof, which, with regard to yours, has been clearly pointed out to you several times before by others.

To reiterate again what also has been pointed out to you by others, operating systems evolve. It is the responsibility of those who develop applications on those OS platforms to adapt to those changes, not the reverse. The fact that, with regard to the “on this iPhone” feature, in the face of the same iOS changes Denon has been able to successfully adapt and maintain this feature whereas Sonos has not would indicate that perhaps the more appropriate word to use here would be “failure” rather than “fault”.

@jeffhess55

Well stated!
OK. Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that Sonos are a bunch of incompetents who failed to solve a simple problem despite trying for a year.

So where does that leave us? One method for playing local music on Sonos has been needlessly lost (say).

But it has gone. Most users won't even notice, or care. Most of the rest will find one of the alternatives acceptable. They may even prefer it when they try it.

A few will continue to rage at Sonos' iniquity and incompetence. And achieve absolurely nothing.

You can get on with Sonos or get out of Sonos. Those are the only two options. Do you think Heos will give you a better overall experience? Then good luck. I am sticking with the failures at Sonos. (As you would expect of a fanboy.)
The words I have for your company ....I can not use on this site... I am so angry and upset with your lack of customer care and the smart idea to dump the on this iPad feature from you service. What a load of rubbish IOS is unstable... please..
People - Warning -- Warning - NEVER BUY from these guys... they don't care about there customers or have a work arounds the they update software .

Its disgusting, called support sent emails and told buy a android device and you SHOULD be able to play your store music...
anyone want to buy a white elephant, Sonos 3 and connect AMP... it looks like it going in the BIN...

SONOS, No care for there customers that should be on the header of your web page,
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
The words I have for your company ....I can not use on this site... I am so angry and upset with your lack of customer care and the smart idea to dump the on this iPad feature from you service. What a load of rubbish IOS is unstable... please..
People - Warning -- Warning - NEVER BUY from these guys... they don't care about there customers or have a work arounds the they update software .

Its disgusting, called support sent emails and told buy a android device and you SHOULD be able to play your store music...
anyone want to buy a white elephant, Sonos 3 and connect AMP... it looks like it going in the BIN...

SONOS, No care for there customers that should be on the header of your web page,

I don’t think anyone has said IOS is unstable. The way Sonos implemented On this iPhone was the problem. It was unstable for some users and Sonos were unable to find a fix.

You can can still use your iPhone or iPad as a Sonos controller. You can still access the music you own, and control and play it. You just need to do it a slightly different way. Agreed, it’s not quite as convenient. But it’s still possible and very simple, as detailed in these threads and elsewhere.

But it if you do decide to bin your kit, I’m sure someone will take it off your hands, to help you get rid of it. It’s a shame I’m not geographically closer to you.
While I appreciate your comments, even there staff are confused . sent emails, called them still no solution... I am the least tech person and are almost 50 years of age, I just want to play my music collection... they could not give a ****.. I am done. Looks like I am going to have to join all my JBL products and use them. Its not good enough, but they got my money, what do they care. It shows
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Do you have your music stored/backed up anywhere? On a computer hard drive in iTunes, for example?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
While I appreciate your comments, even there staff are confused . sent emails, called them still no solution... I am the least tech person and are almost 50 years of age, I just want to play my music collection... they could not give a ****. I am done. Looks like I am going to have to join all my JBL products and use them. Its not good enough, but they got my money, what do they care. It shows

What does the bolded statement mean? I don't mean that sarcastically or anything, I'm generally interested in how you plan on dealing with this issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It seems you are frustrated by the removal of the “On this iPhone” feature. If you do not decide to sell your Sonos products, you can maybe try one of the alternatives mentioned in this thread, like uploading your music to Google Music (free for 50.000 songs), adding a USB-stick to your router (if possible), buy a NAS or a Sonos One or Ikea Symfonisk to Airplay your music to (and group the new speaker with your old ones).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What's a Sonos 3?

You mean a Play:3?

So angry at a company and yet you don't even know what you've actually spent money on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What's a Sonos 3?

So angry at a company and yet you don't even know what you've actually spent money on.

I can't fault anyone for getting the names of Sonos products confused. The naming convention certainly invites confusion. And any confusion certainly isn't tied to how anyone feels about Sonos at the time, since we see that aournd here by people who love Sonos as well as though who hate it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I can't fault anyone for getting the names of Sonos products confused. The naming convention certainly invites confusion. And any confusion certainly isn't tied to how anyone feels about Sonos at the time, since we see that aournd here by people who love Sonos as well as though who hate it.

I would agree with that... if we were talking about a Play:1 vs a One or a Connect:Amp vs an Amp.

There has never been a product called a Sonos 3.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Extremely poor communication and support for transition.

Community posts. Support page. Messaging in the application.

I mean, what else do they really need to do? Knock on your front door? Information was there, not Sonos' fault you didn't read it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I can't fault anyone for getting the names of Sonos products confused. The naming convention certainly invites confusion. And any confusion certainly isn't tied to how anyone feels about Sonos at the time, since we see that aournd here by people who love Sonos as well as though who hate it.I would agree with that... if we were talking about a Play:1 vs a One or a Connect:Amp vs an Amp.

There has never been a product called a Sonos 3.

I can't imagine anyone would have ever referred to the speaker as the Sonos 3 if it were not for the company starting to name all their products 'Sonos' instead of 'Play'. But whatever. Opinions vary.
Userlevel 2
Badge

What's a Sonos 3?

Can't believe you missed the opportunity to point out that the connect AMP never existed either. May have meant a Connect:Amp. Makes all the difference in the world while discussing the removal of a feature.
I purchase new tracks / albums via itunes app on my iphone and ipad. I used to play these via the sonos app until sonos removed the functionality I have a NAS linked to my Sonos with my old music collection on it. My question is whether there is a way to get the tracks off my iphone automatically to my NAS without setting up an iTunes server as I believe that requires itunes on a pc or mac in order to sync to. I’m pretty sure the answer is no but thought I’d try my luck here. I have the Play:1 so no airplay for me.
The software has no cost. You can install iTunes on as many machines as you want. It's your iTunes subscription that costs money.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
AFAIK, the only way to copy purchased tracks to a NAS is to download them on a PC or Mac (using iTunes), then copy them over to the NAS.
The software has no cost. You can install iTunes on as many machines as you want. It's your iTunes subscription that costs money.

Is that reply to me? If so I’m confused. I don’t have an Apple Music subscription if thats what you meant by iTunes subscription.
Sorry. I may have shortcutted in my brain. *I* knew what I was saying :)

You purchase them via iTunes is what you said. That means that you have an iTunes account. So, if you install the free iTunes software on any PC or Mac, and define the location for the library to be your NAS (this is exactly what I do), then you can (re)download the music using your iTunes account and it will be on your NAS for your Sonos to play.

Basically, this is what airforceteacher said, and I attempted to say, but poorly.
And of course, once you download and install iTunes on a Mac or PC, you can then back up your iOS device, which will also back up any music you've purchased on it. All you have to do is define the NAS as the location for the music library in iTunes, and then once you've got the data there, point to it in the Sonos controller.
I purchased the Sonos System because of the mobile support for the IOS music library. Now your'e taking it away?? Re-architect your software and fix the issues. Eliminating the functionality is not a fix. I have invested thousands of dollars in your systems. Can I get my money back?

I also bought your system so I could take my IOS Library to friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Now that will also be eliminated. What is the solution for that?

Can I get an amen?!? Not sure how Sonos is getting away with this side stepping of the issue!! I too want my money back or full credit back so that I can move on from this nightmare.
And of course, once you download and install iTunes on a Mac or PC, you can then back up your iOS device, which will also back up any music you've purchased on it. All you have to do is define the NAS as the location for the music library in iTunes, and then once you've got the data there, point to it in the Sonos controller.

I don’t need itunes to backup my devices as all done to icloud except for photos which auto upload to my NAS. I really didn’t want to install itunes on my PC as have done without it for many years and always found it clunky. I’ve now caved as have no alternative but a) I have to login to itunes to get those new itunes purchases on my nas so I can play them via sonos b) my wife needs to do the same ie have itunes on another device to synch her own itunes account purchases to the nas. Yes it works but its a clunky workaround that just worked before by playing direct from your ios device.
As others, I'm really pissed that I spent a fortune on two Sonos Amps and one Connect and now I can't play music from my iPhone. Sonos Support suggests using Airplay. When I tap Airplay I only see my iPhone, I don't see any of my Sonos products. Any suggestions?
Sonos Amps are AirPlay 2 compatible, Sonos CONNECT:AMPs are not. Which do you have?
I'm a little late to the party and not at all interested in arguing with anyone about who's to blame for the loss of this feature or the proper names of my components (or anything else, really) but I wanted to chime in and say I'm extremely disappointed that I no longer have the ability to play the music on my iphone over my Sonos system.

I have 192,481 songs (1.55tb) in my iTunes library. I knew the file limitation when I started buying my speakers but it didn't matter because I usually keep the music I'm currently listening to on my phone for use in my car/headphones/ect and Sonos' ability to play them fit into that perfectly.

I purchased Play: 3 speakers for my living room and dining room, and Play: 1s for the bedroom. At $299 each the Play 3s weren't cheap (I paid less for a pair of huge old school Stuart Chapman Jones speakers I use in my listening room) but they were small and unobtrusive and I could take one out back and plug it in on the patio while doing yardwork or whatever. I loved them and I've talked them up to everyone I know.

The Play 3s were discontinued a few months after I purchased my last one but I didn't mind because you've continued to update them and I managed to get stereo pairs. It did make me hold off on adding a Connect to my main rig or a playbar for the TV until new versions were released though (that and the dated look of the Connect). I was excited at the prospect of buying a Port to connect my stereo to the rest of the house when I saw it (and it is a much nicer looking unit) but I came home today and tried to finish listening to the album that was playing in the car only to find I can't do that anymore. Maybe a Port would be the solution for my entire system. But for how long? I can't throw down $400 every time Apple updates my phone.

And I know you've tried to fix the issue and I know it's not your fault. But it's your speakers that are all over my house, completely unable to function in the only way I've ever used them. It feels like wasted money. It's just disappointing.