Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1028 replies

the Sonos fanboys just can’t contain themselves with the annoying condescending responses like “buy an Airplay and upgrade” or “Sonos was designed for streaming services not device music”.

I really can't imagine that any of us fanboys would have said that Sonos was designed for streaming services, because that would show complete ignorance of the facts. Streaming services weren't a feature of Sonos originally (due to their not existing). Sonos was designed to play music stored on a computer or NAS. Streaming came later (although admottedly before 'on this device').

And I don't recall any fanboy saying anyone should buy an Airplay compatible speakrr, just that that was one of the options, alongside many others that didn't involve buying any Sonos gear, or in some cases any gear at all.

Those are the facts, but fact and reason left the building long ago on this thread, so I await with interest the next attempt to twist the truth.
The iPhone and Sonos no longer work together. I like podcasts and on the iMac Sonos app, the podcasts are in disarray. I do not wish to invest more money in a system to keep it operating and don't trust a company that removes features at the expense of the consumer. I am now trying to sell my Sonos speakers and I will purchase Apple iHome speakers. This move will cost money but I won't have to create work-arounds to do what I want.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The iPhone and Sonos no longer work together. I like podcasts and on the iMac Sonos app, the podcasts are in disarray. I do not wish to invest more money in a system to keep it operating and don't trust a company that removes features at the expense of the consumer. I am now trying to sell my Sonos speakers and I will purchase Apple iHome speakers. This move will cost money but I won't have to create work-arounds to do what I want.

Im not going that far, though I have an amp and one recent purchase that I haven't unboxed that I may send back. I don't use iOS but others in my house do and I don't want their music mixed with mine.

Vowe is an old guy Sonos user who's switching to Homepod, not a solution for me but might be for you
https://vowe.net/archives/018099.html
Thanks for the comment and the link.
Userlevel 1
Badge

So unless someone tells me of a quick/cheap way to solve this without giving money to Sonos, the connect is going back and I’m ordering a Bluesound node 2i.Hope you don't plan on being able to play from your phone to your new Bluesound node 2i. Looks like Bluesound removed the "play from this device" feature 10 months ago from both Apple and Android devices based on posts in their forums.
they did remove it, because they updated their firmare to support Airplay2. so that's ok. did Sonos update it?? NO! they're asking you to buy a new device. that's the difference.
As is Bluesound. They’re on what, the 3rd generation of their hardware now?

Sonos Connect update coming this week, very likely it will have AirPlay support.

Again, this issue is 100% due to Apple. Hold your breath until you’re blue, kick and scream, won’t change that fact.

are you sure about the update? i've read in many places that it's a hardware issue that cannot have airplay implemented. So I don't think it will happen. could be wrong, but anyway I've made my decision and moving to Bluesound. Just went to Magnolia to test sonos connect and Bluesound with some Martin Logan speakers and mcintosh amp. Bluesound kicks butt compared to the connect.
are you sure about the update? i've read in many places that it's a hardware issue that cannot have airplay implemented. So I don't think it will happen. could be wrong, but anyway I've made my decision and moving to Bluesound. Just went to Magnolia to test sonos connect and Bluesound with some Martin Logan speakers and mcintosh amp. Bluesound kicks butt compared to the connect.

New Connect hardware, very likely, being announced tomorrow. Little doubt it will include AirPlay support, at a minimum.

Bluesound app gets lousy reviews on Play Store compared to Sonos, with far, far fewer downloads. Doubt very much it "kicks butt" in any relevant way.
Just went to Magnolia to test sonos connect and Bluesound with some Martin Logan speakers and mcintosh amp. Bluesound kicks butt compared to the connect.

Yet with a digital output from the Connect, the sound would depend entirely on the amp and speakers, and not at all on the Connect. No DAC on the amp I assume?
Userlevel 1
Badge

Just went to Magnolia to test sonos connect and Bluesound with some Martin Logan speakers and mcintosh amp. Bluesound kicks butt compared to the connect.Yet with a digital output from the Connect, the sound would depend entirely on the amp and speakers, and not at all on the Connect. No DAC in the amp I assume?

no DAC. only RCA from connect to integrated amp. same thing from bluesound node 2i to same integrated amp.
I would be interested in the result of a blind test. Subjective comparisons are generally worthless. But you heard what you heard. Good luck with your new system.

As I do use digital from the Connect there is no impact on my system's sound from the Connect.
I, too, bought Sonos because I could play all of my downloaded CD's and playlists directly from iTunes on my ipad. The options given don't seem to provide the same service at all. Is Sonos a big SoNO now? I'm trying to remain optimistic, so I sent an email to Sonos requesting help. (will my speakers no longer work? OMG)

This is a big time let down for me by Sonos. I purchased Sonos speakers to enable me to play my music from my ipod touch/ipad/iphone without the need to leave my laptop running when playing through the Sonos speakers. I can also easily transport the ipod, ipad or iphone from room to room - not easily done using my laptop (battery issues)
Shame on you Sonos - no doubt there will be quite a few Sonos speakers for sale on Ebay!
Your scorn is misplaced. Direct it at Apple, where it clearly belongs. They did it for security reasons, which everyone should surely support.

My scorn is certainly NOT misplaced. I bought 3 speakers (1,3 and 5) from Sonos on the basis that their App would enable me to play music on my IOS devices (theye even supported me with a couple of problems relating to this. SONOS has removed this capability from their App - not APPLE!
Userlevel 1
The removal of ‘On My Phone’ is killin’ me. I have some Play:1s that now are practically useless, and to make matters worse, I have friends that have some I recommended and they’re now bummed, and even worse, I’ve setup 18 stores and counting for a client where I recommended the Play:1s (each location has 3) and they’re livid the feature was removed. Here I am looking like a giant #$% cause Sonos decided to remove a core feature of a product I sold others on. I really hope this change gets reverted or legal action is taken.
This is ridiculous. I am not pleased with Sonos. They keeping doing more and more to make me actually hate them!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The removal of ‘On My Phone’ is killin’ me. I have some Play:1s that now are practically useless, and to make matters worse, I have friends that have some I recommended and they’re now bummed, and even worse, I’ve setup 18 stores and counting for a client where I recommended the Play:1s (each location has 3) and they’re livid the feature was removed. Here I am looking like a giant ^&^^ cause Sonos decided to remove a core feature of a product I sold others on. I really hope this change gets reverted or legal action is taken.

No legal action is going to change this as this is like the 10nth time they've removed or bricked a useful feature/hardware .

Sonos won't allow you to roll back so your options include buy nas's, upload to Google music, buy new hardware that supports airplay2 (or change to an Android phone). I bet you can guess which one Sonos hopes you choose.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
A question, for the people complaining here: If we take as a given that Sonos does not benefit from you subscribing to a streaming service, or buying a NAS, what do they have to gain by disabling this feature? Keep in mind, the feature remains active on Android devices, let's say 50% of controllers - but probably more, given Android's market share in smartphones.

This is a big time let down for me by Sonos. I purchased Sonos speakers to enable me to play my music from my ipod touch/ipad/iphone without the need to leave my laptop running when playing through the Sonos speakers. I can also easily transport the ipod, ipad or iphone from room to room - not easily done using my laptop (battery issues)
Shame on you Sonos - no doubt there will be quite a few Sonos speakers for sale on Ebay!
Your scorn is misplaced. Direct it at Apple, where it clearly belongs. They did it for security reasons, which everyone should surely support.
My scorn is certainly NOT misplaced. I bought 3 speakers (1,3 and 5) from Sonos on the basis that their App would enable me to play music on my IOS devices (theye even supported me with a couple of problems relating to this. SONOS has removed this capability from their App - not APPLE!

Sigh. Apple is forcing them to remove it, just as they forced Bluesound to remove it. Why is that so difficult to understand?
The removal of ‘On My Phone’ is killin’ me. I have some Play:1s that now are practically useless, and to make matters worse, I have friends that have some I recommended and they’re now bummed, and even worse, I’ve setup 18 stores and counting for a client where I recommended the Play:1s (each location has 3) and they’re livid the feature was removed. Here I am looking like a giant $##% cause Sonos decided to remove a core feature of a product I sold others on. I really hope this change gets reverted or legal action is taken.

Why in the world would you recommend this, likely illegal, way to play music to businesses? Sonos has multiple streaming services specifically for businesses, with the requisite licensing. They need to subscribe to one of them.
Userlevel 1
Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch defending Sonos and making assumptions of what a client is doing? They were using “on my phone” for special occasions and special events. This is the most surreal discussion thread I’ve ever taken part in. I shouldn’t even have to explain this. The concern is that we’re losing a core feature of a product and can’t do anything about it without purchasing a replacement. This isn’t a service being provided that we are not paying for that is being discontinued. It’s a component for something in our hands that has simply been cut.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch defending Sonos and making assumptions of what a client is doing? They were using “on my phone” for special occasions and special events. This is the most surreal discussion thread I’ve ever taken part in. I shouldn’t even have to explain this. The concern is that we’re losing a core feature of a product and can’t do anything about it without purchasing a replacement. This isn’t a service being provided that we are not paying for that is being discontinued. It’s a component for something in our hands that has simply been cut.

This thread is on 37 pages now, with many, many....many points repeated. It gets annoying to some when new people come on with the same arguments that were discussed 20 pages ago. As well, it's not really about you specifically, but an accumulation of everything else. So I wouldn't take it personally.

That said, in the above post you state a couple things as if they are a given fact, which they are clearly not. First, you're stating that 'on this phone' is a core feature. That's debatable at best, given then it is not an original feature, and not used by many Sonos customers from a percentage standpoint. It may be core to you and your clients, but that doesn't mean it's core an essential to the customer base as a whole.

Second, you said nothing can be done about it without purchasing a replacement. That's not true and has bee refuted many times in this thread. It may be that your specific situation leaves no room for any other option, but without more details of your situation, no one else would no that.

Third, you said it's simply been cut. That's a vast understatement. There are technical reasons that are not fully in Sonos control for why it's being cut, and Sonos attempted to resolve the issue for a year before deciding to cut it. Sonos didn't just make an arbitrary decision here with no concern for the impact on customers.

You do have an issue on your hands though, and I don't think wishing Sonos changes their mind or gets sued is going to make your clients happy. If it were me, I'd be looking into alternative methods for your clients to play their audio. Maybe a google account could work/ or maybe getting the ikea bookshelf speakers for $100 is the way to go. If you also set up their wifi networks, maybe you can get them cheap thumbnail drives to act as NAS. If multiroom functionality isn't important, than perhaps you should work with them to sell the speakers and replace with bluetooth speakers better fit for the purpose.
Userlevel 1

Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch defending Sonos and making assumptions of what a client is doing? They were using “on my phone” for special occasions and special events. This is the most surreal discussion thread I’ve ever taken part in. I shouldn’t even have to explain this. The concern is that we’re losing a core feature of a product and can’t do anything about it without purchasing a replacement. This isn’t a service being provided that we are not paying for that is being discontinued. It’s a component for something in our hands that has simply been cut.This thread is on 37 pages now, with many, many....many points repeated. It gets annoying to some when new people come on with the same arguments that were discussed 20 pages ago. As well, it's not really about you specifically, but an accumulation of everything else. So I wouldn't take it personally.

That said, in the above post you state a couple things as if they are a given fact, which they are clearly not. First, you're stating that 'on this phone' is a core feature. That's debatable at best, given then it is not an original feature, and not used by many Sonos customers from a percentage standpoint. It may be core to you and your clients, but that doesn't mean it's core an essential to the customer base as a whole.

Second, you said nothing can be done about it without purchasing a replacement. That's not true and has bee refuted many times in this thread. It may be that your specific situation leaves no room for any other option, but without more details of your situation, no one else would no that.

Third, you said it's simply been cut. That's a vast understatement. There are technical reasons that are not fully in Sonos control for why it's being cut, and Sonos attempted to resolve the issue for a year before deciding to cut it. Sonos didn't just make an arbitrary decision here with no concern for the impact on customers.

You do have an issue on your hands though, and I don't think wishing Sonos changes their mind or gets sued is going to make your clients happy. If it were me, I'd be looking into alternative methods for your clients to play their audio. Maybe a google account could work/ or maybe getting the ikea bookshelf speakers for $100 is the way to go. If you also set up their wifi networks, maybe you can get them cheap thumbnail drives to act as NAS. If multiroom functionality isn't important, than perhaps you should work with them to sell the speakers and replace with bluetooth speakers better fit for the purpose.

This thread is functioning as a board for discussion and frustration venting for people that are stumbling upon it on a daily basis. While I appreciate the argument that lots of people are chiming in with the same complaints, the members that feel it necessary to respond to every single frustrated user with agitation does nothing besides make for more a more toxic board.

Like many others, I’m simply voicing the issue that myself and many others are experiencing. I don’t care if community members have a desire to engage me or not. I just want my voice heard by Sonos. I do care when someone wants to respond with a toxic attitude, calling me an a-hole or suggesting I’m recommending illegal activity without having a clue.

I already have them using a workaround, but it’s unfair that we have Play:1s that can’t use one of the primary features we purchased them for and now I need to pitch them on solutions that require much more hands-on work from experienced staff or more money that was otherwise unnecessary.

Sure, suggesting someone spend $100 in hardware plus the labor costs and travel is easy on paper, but it’s crazy that it comes to that. The members of the community need to understand that I am not the first, nor will hardly be the last to jump on here and complain and they shouldn’t take it personally. We’re just here to make the issue visible to Sonos and hopefully It gets reverted as it has not negative impact on the user base, only helps those that have been affected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This thread is functioning as a board for discussion and frustration venting for people that are stumbling upon it on a daily basis.

While Sonos certainly does allow and even encourage these discussions to an extent, it's not why the boards exist. The primary purpose is for the community to ask questions and discuss solutions to problems with each other. It's why they board can be found under Support.

While I appreciate the argument that lots of people are chiming in with the same complaints, the members that feel it necessary to respond to every single frustrated user with agitation does nothing besides make for more a more toxic board.

I was explaining why you weren't getting the response you seem to expect. For me, the board becomes toxic when it no longer becomes useful as a source for accurate information. If someone reads this board seeing 10 people claim that Sonos makes money from streaming services, every other method of playing audio requires you to spend money, or that Sonos isn't doing this for technical reasons, but as a scheme to make money...and no one steps in to counter these incorrect claims, then the board is useless. Not even worth having.

Like many others, I’m simply voicing the issue that myself and many others are experiencing. I don’t care if community members have a desire to engage me or not. I just want my voice heard by Sonos.

And that's fine. Sonos appears to be just fine with that as they let these complaints threads go on. If you notice, I didn't say anything about your frustration being inappropriate. I only comment on your seemingly factual statements that were actually not factual.

I do care when someone wants to respond with a toxic attitude, calling me an a-hole or suggesting I’m recommending illegal activity without having a clue.

Again, you're stepping into something that was already toxic to a degree. The name calling is against forum policy and is likely to be removed soon. Other posts have been removed for naming calling already in this thread.

I already have them using a workaround, but it’s unfair that we have Play:1s that can’t use one of the primary features we purchased them for and now I need to pitch them on solutions that require much more hands-on work from experienced staff or more money that was otherwise unnecessary.

No, it's not fair.

Sure, suggesting someone spend $100 in hardware plus the labor costs and travel is easy on paper, but it’s crazy that it comes to that.

Not easy at all. I wasn't suggesting you just offer that and call it day, just an option that might be preferred to other options for a particular client.

The members of the community need to understand that I am not the first, nor will hardly be the last to jump on here and complain and they shouldn’t take it personally.

Agreed, except that many of those who come on here to complain do get personal with the 'regulars'. State a fact about the issue and they'll excuse of secretly being a Sonos employee. No interest in learning more about the issue, particularly facts that don't support the narrative. And that's fine, it's just that it doesn't mean the facts don't need to be presented.

We’re just here to make the issue visible to Sonos and hopefully It gets reverted as it has not negative impact on the user base, only helps those that have been affected.

From my experience with similar situations, Sonos isn't going to reverse the decision. There have seen more numerous complaints about other issues and not reversed course. And even if they did, it doesn't fix the underlying technical issue that makes the feature unreliable.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Like many others, I’m simply voicing the issue that myself and many others are experiencing. I don’t care if community members have a desire to engage me or not. I just want my voice heard by Sonos. I do care when someone wants to respond with a toxic attitude, calling me an $%#@! or suggesting I’m recommending illegal activity without having a clue.

I see that my response has since been modded, but I just repeated your own - now also edited out - words, as I would have never chosen them myself. Nevertheless I was wrong to do that and appropriate action was taken.

However, I stand by my point that suggesting the use of streaming from a mobile device - be it through Bluetooth or through this feature - for a professional environment is, at least in my opinion, not very sound advice in terms of stability, reliability and sustainability. Especially not given the many alternatives that Sonos offers and was originally designed for.

But to stay on the topic of the discussion, I asked a sincere question that I have not seen an answer to yet:

If we take as a given that Sonos does not benefit from you subscribing to a streaming service, or buying a NAS, what do they have to gain by disabling this feature? Keeping in mind that the feature remains active on Android devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If we take as a given that Sonos does not benefit from you subscribing to a streaming service, or buying a NAS, what do they have to gain by disabling this feature? Keeping in mind that the feature remains active on Android devices.

Well, Sonos does benefit from the move whenever someone who had no plans on buying a airplay capable Sonos speaker opts to do so because of this move (A). The other benefit of this is the remove the development and support costs they were incurring surrounding this feature (B). Based on what Sonos stated, they don't have a fix for the problem and therefore support and dev costs were going to continue. You also have to factor that there is also some PR gain in that customers aren't talking about a support feature that's not working for them (C). What that translates into dollars....I have no idea.

But I don't think you can look at the positives without weighing in the negatives. As many on this thread have suggested here, some customers are responding by selling their Sonos, never buying another Sonos again, and/or telling everyone they know not to buy Sonos (D). What that translates into dollars...I have no idea.

I don't know whether the positives outweigh the negatives, from a Sonos perspective. It seems pretty obvious that Sonos thinks they are making the right decision, perhaps the best choice out of bad options.

A lot of people seem to believe that a 'try harder' option was available, thus eliminating B & C from above. Sonos stated that wasn't the case. Others seem to believe that A is a significantly big number, and Sonos is lying about B & C just to justify their greed. Others believe that D is a really big number, and thus Sonos is making a horrible decision that will bankrupt the company.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This thread is functioning as a board for discussion and frustration venting for people that are stumbling upon it on a daily basis. While I appreciate the argument that lots of people are chiming in with the same complaints, the members that feel it necessary to respond to every single frustrated user with agitation does nothing besides make for more a more toxic board.

Your observation about the toxic board comes up all the time. The admins seem to want this as they don't take any action around the treatment of new users and the over all tone of the board. They silently deleting many critical posts of company action but let the berating of user posts stand. The post above calling you an ahole that was only lightly edited case in point.

Some of these heavy posters have a financial relationship with Sonos as at least one used to sell Sonos hardware so no surprise they are in lock step with the Corp.
Userlevel 1
Badge

The removal of ‘On My Phone’ is killin’ me. I have some Play:1s that now are practically useless, and to make matters worse, I have friends that have some I recommended and they’re now bummed, and even worse, I’ve setup 18 stores and counting for a client where I recommended the Play:1s (each location has 3) and they’re livid the feature was removed. Here I am looking like a giant $##% cause Sonos decided to remove a core feature of a product I sold others on. I really hope this change gets reverted or legal action is taken.Why in the world would you recommend this, likely illegal, way to play music to businesses? Sonos has multiple streaming services specifically for businesses, with the requisite licensing. They need to subscribe to one of them.

chicks, where's your Sonos update?? you mentioned they were coming out with un update to implement Airplay on the connect? like Sonos excuses on removing the play from iphone functionality??