Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1094 replies

Userlevel 3
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

No, Sonos, this is NOT acceptable.

As customers, we purchased your products for a promised feature set, both hardware and the software, that you promote as being a key benefit of your system.

We take the hit of not having a Bluetooth back up plan that many of your competitors offer, in the knowledge that you will respect that promise. By doing this, you are not.

I didn’t wish to purchase further hardware or subscriptions. I should not need to - my system presently works without that investment.

Whilst I accept other providers (e.g. Apple) may make changes that present you with challenges, it is for you as a provider of services and hardware to overcome those. In that, you have FAILED. You have failed your customers who paid a premium for your products because they are supposed to integrate better and more seamlessly.

Of course there are workarounds. Workarounds which require either further investment (which we should not need to make) or time spent uploading tracks to a free storage service ( time which we didn’t want to spend on less integrated services in the first place, so picked SONOS). Workarounds that either make more money for your partners, or require less effort on your part. Your solutions cost your customers in time or money. Your customers should not be the ones having to pay this in either, when they buy a product which is marketed as premium and prices accordingly.

You need to come up with another solution, and fast, before this backlash hits more popular social media sites.
Userlevel 2
As per my first post on page1.
Why not give GPM free account ago, it will sycn with your itunes tracks and is FREE for 50,000 tracks. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing.

Besides it being Google and requiring a Google account (nope, thanks), GPM does not have my iTunes playcounts, for example. And then I'd need to keep two music libraries curated and in sync. Nope.
Not insulted but questioning the intelligence & responding to ur condescending ways -just tit for tat unfortunately -I am just so very upset with Sonos and company —if u work for them that is why u make take that personally but I do have to wonder why it works with androids and not Apple -so I have sonos 1 therefor airplay is useless correct ?

Sonos employees are marked as such. Why it works for Android and not for Apple is easy to figure out . . . Apple made changes to their iOS that made the current functionality unreliable, just as Sonos explained.

As to your situation, do you own a Play:1 or a One (there is no "Sonos 1"). If the latter, you are already Airplay capable, If the former, you would need to add an Airplay capable Sonos device and group it in. Airplay capable Sonos devices are the One (1st and 2nd gen), Play:5 (2nd gen), Playbase, Beam, Amp, and the new Ikea speakers. The Ikea SYMFONISK bookshelf is the least expensive at $99 US.

Note you can also house your local music on a PC/Mac, and NAS drive, or upload it for free to Google Play Music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch defending Sonos and making assumptions of what a client is doing? They were using “on my phone” for special occasions and special events. This is the most surreal discussion thread I’ve ever taken part in. I shouldn’t even have to explain this. The concern is that we’re losing a core feature of a product and can’t do anything about it without purchasing a replacement. This isn’t a service being provided that we are not paying for that is being discontinued. It’s a component for something in our hands that has simply been cut.

This thread is on 37 pages now, with many, many....many points repeated. It gets annoying to some when new people come on with the same arguments that were discussed 20 pages ago. As well, it's not really about you specifically, but an accumulation of everything else. So I wouldn't take it personally.

That said, in the above post you state a couple things as if they are a given fact, which they are clearly not. First, you're stating that 'on this phone' is a core feature. That's debatable at best, given then it is not an original feature, and not used by many Sonos customers from a percentage standpoint. It may be core to you and your clients, but that doesn't mean it's core an essential to the customer base as a whole.

Second, you said nothing can be done about it without purchasing a replacement. That's not true and has bee refuted many times in this thread. It may be that your specific situation leaves no room for any other option, but without more details of your situation, no one else would no that.

Third, you said it's simply been cut. That's a vast understatement. There are technical reasons that are not fully in Sonos control for why it's being cut, and Sonos attempted to resolve the issue for a year before deciding to cut it. Sonos didn't just make an arbitrary decision here with no concern for the impact on customers.

You do have an issue on your hands though, and I don't think wishing Sonos changes their mind or gets sued is going to make your clients happy. If it were me, I'd be looking into alternative methods for your clients to play their audio. Maybe a google account could work/ or maybe getting the ikea bookshelf speakers for $100 is the way to go. If you also set up their wifi networks, maybe you can get them cheap thumbnail drives to act as NAS. If multiroom functionality isn't important, than perhaps you should work with them to sell the speakers and replace with bluetooth speakers better fit for the purpose.
Userlevel 3
Just because they don’t want to play with the big boys doesn’t mean we as their customers should be screwed. If I knew that they couldn’t keep up with whatever licensing requirements Apple wanted I would have gone with the big boys like Bose. As you can I’m very upset with this and would like to figure out how to prosecute for false advertising.
Sonos was marketing to audiophiles with private collections, the ones who previously had records. The ones whose music is not on the streaming services.

I agree with your definition of the Sonos history, except that these customers used Sonos via ripped music that resided on either computers or servers. Because at the time you speak of, the feature being deleted did not exist.
WTF?!! I saw this message for the first time over the weekend and I can't believe you are acting in such an arrogant and flippant fashion.

I specifically bought into Sonos because of the wireless playback directly from my iPhone. I did not expect that within 4 years you would be removing such a key piece of functionality and basically crippling the way I use it.

Believe it or not Sonos, some people don't have time to manage separate music centres, or NAS drives or network computers.

Some of us cant afford to pay for streaming services each month.

Some (most I'd think!) EXPECT that something they buy and pay for to continue to exist!

I've had problems in the past with skipping tracks streamed from my iPhone to Sonos - but its been consistently stable for many months - and now you are removing the very piece of software that actually makes your products useable?

This is lazy and cheap engineering and the poorest service level I have experienced from a modern day tech company,

Are you going to subsidise a subscription to Apple Music for my family? Are you going to give me a discount to upgrade my speakers? Or a refund to make up for the financial loss I;ve made by investing in your products?

No? Thought not.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This is hugely disappointing and I can see it is going to significantly impact loads of people.

I could totally believe this is down to apple - like lock screen controls it always felt like Sonos had found a clever exploit to add this feature rather than something apple supported. I do also wonder if the alternatives, especially streaming just fit better with the general move to voice control which the majority seemingly want.

Personally I won’t be too badly affected as I’ve always used a NAS for music and bought most of my Sonos kit before this feature even existed. I will miss being able stick on a new itunes purchase or a recently edited playlist without syncing everything up from iphone to laptop to NAS, and am fearful of apple’s future iTunes plans further impacting this step also in the future.
Sonos best feature was able to play music from iPhone —we all know that

Well, for a few the best feature. For most, a complete irrelevance, and something any BlueTooth speaker could do. Maybe others' votes would go to: sound quality, perfect multi-room sync, wide product range (including TV sound), voice control, range of streaming services, option to use dedicated mesh networking (SonosNet).....

And before you ask, no, I am not a Sonos employee, but I am most definitely a Sonos fanboy.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Pster

There are a lot of people as upset as you are.

As to your question, HEOS has the identical “On this iphone” feature and appear to intend on keeping it. Their speakers are quite similar to those from Sonos.
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

I agree to the given comments. How can Sonos remove a feature which was the reason for buying the equipment? I am speechless and disappointed and can only hope that you guys reconsider this false decision. I do not invest in third party streaming Services like Google Play etc.
Userlevel 1
Hi all
i think the problem here is that Sonos have lost my trust. We all bought a system with a specified set of feature that suited the way we live and we knowingly paid a premium for that system.
However, without changing any of my hardware one of those features I use has been removed without recourse.
While this is very irritating for me personally the wider community should be concerned. What will be the next feature to be removed? Nas drives are becoming less relevant compared to cloud storage... but which one and you might end up paying for that capacity even if it is free today. Don’t believe me? One drive, google drive have all changed their max capacity downwards to get more people to pay. That will continue.
It feels like someone in Sonos threw their toys on the floor because of the flack they were getting over the local play issues and said “well if they are going to complain we will just take it away...see how they like that!!” Why do I say this? Because there was no reason to remove the feature... it had problems yes but it was functional!
So with a view to getting this back on track.... my questions for Sonos are:
1) can I downgrade to a version of the controller that has the play local options.?
2) can Sonos upgrade the existing play 1.3.5, bar etc to use Apple play? After all it is just a network protocol.
3) if this is an Apple issue can you confirm it with details... at least we as a community can raise this with Apple (who we are customers of) and ask them what they are doing to resolve the issues. You never know if you supply enough details the cleaver bods in the community might be able to help!

So this comes back to a matter of trust .....
Sonos can we trust you, your products and the feature set so we can continue to invest in your products going forward? Or are we just rolling the dice ?
Userlevel 1
First I love my Sonos Play 1 speakers! They work great with airplay! Never a problem!

Ever hear of the grandfather clause? Just because you’re upgrading (debatable) doesn’t mean you can’t keep airplay working for those of us who bought it because you advertised it! Do you think anyone would have bought them if you advertised correctly saying use airplay now but in a year or two you’ll have to buy new speakers because airplay won’t work! No, don’t be stupid!

So....

If my Play 1 speakers become unuseable with airplay (the reason I bought them) in the future. I have a large iTunes collection, and downloaded cd’s. I will not pay to stream music ever! Then two things are going to happen. One I will contact the state attorney general and explain that Sonos is taking away features they advertised to force me to buy into something else. Second I will dump my current Sono’s products and never look back at Sono’s again.

I bought these Play 1 speakers in good faith.

Step up Sonos and take care of your loyal customers before you have none.
Sonos hasn't said what the issue is that's prompting this poor decision . . .

They haven't?

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585

I won't be surprised when I hear about a class action lawsuit because of this.

I will be surprised. In fact, I'll post a video of me eating my shirt. As stated before:

# of class action lawsuits threatened in this forum - Hundreds

# of class action lawsuits actually filed - Zero
Actually the free “google play” service option is a good idea and the easiest way to go here. Just upload upto 50,000 of your own tracks for free and install the google service in the Sonos App and play them ALL to any Sonos speaker in your home. Seems easy to me.

Those with metered Internet plans will no doubt come out of the woodwork next .. yawn !😴
Userlevel 2
Really this is a great reason for everyone that uses this functionality currently to go out and buy a less than $20 128 gig USB flash drive (or spend $30 on a 256 gb if you need/want more space), put your music on it, plug that in to your router (almost every router has this feature available) and point your Sonos library to it. Music available all the time, even if your phone isn't and can access it using any Sonos controller (phone app, computer app, tablet etc...).

Sonos works amazingly well when set up to point to a network music library and/or any combination of streaming services.
Userlevel 1
class action lawsuit, who is in!
I do think that “made for iPod, iPhone and iPad” implies that you would be able to play media files from those devices. I think that’s a reasonable expectation

And you can do exactly that, using AirPlay, to the newer Sonos speakers.
None of the other options is a 'workaround' at all. They are not designed to get round the removal of this feature. They are all pre-existing methods for playing local content that for many users are preferable to playing from the device.

Clearly, none of these methods is exactly like 'on this device', and for those for whom 'on this device' was the preferred method, all other approaches will appear inferior. The reality is that all methods have (or had) pros and cons. Which factors matter varies enormously between users. But it is a slanted perspective to view 'on this iPhone' as some sort of gold standard that other methods fail to match.

If Sonos had instead removed playing from a NAS, then I could have come on here complaining about the hassle of copying all my music to the phone, and my wife's to her phone. And the fact that the phone doesn't exist that has enough memory to hold my lossless music library. Then there would be the lack of robust performance when I am a long way from router... and so on.

The purpose of this is NOT to knock playing from the device. My point is that viewing every other method as an inferior workaround to playing from the device is a perverse view.

There is no question that Sonos is a poorer place for the loss of this option. Nobody should claim that it doesn't matter. I get that people want what they had, not something different. But everyone has to find the best alternative for their needs, or get out of Sonos. 'On this iPhone' has gone and it isn't coming back.
Now my question is when will Sonos stop suporting
Beam or the new amp because they want you to buy
a new product.

This is without doubt the most unreasonable, detached-from-reality comment on this thread, and it is up against some pretty stiff competition. Sonos has NEVER stopped supporting a speaker or player. There are people still happily using their ZP80s and ZP100s from 14 or 15 years ago, alongside the latest speakers.

Sorry to trouble you with the facts.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You can also upload your music to google play music 50,000 tracks for FREE, but can't use GA voice control, you need a premium paid for account for that.
With andriod device you can stream directly from GPM to sonos.
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

Dear Jeff

I don’t want a streaming service, music service, computer or Network Attached Storage (whatever that is). It’s too technical for me, I don’t have the time to spare and I don’t want to spend more money.

I do want my two Play:1 speakers and my Play:3 speaker to play my music library on my iPhone with a single touch of the button, simply and without the need to set up new bits of equipment or links or services.

But if Sonus remove the current ability to play direct from my iPhone then I will get rid of them and will not buy another Sonus product again. I will also warn my friends and family against buying Sonus.

I am fairly sure I’m not the only one....

Rob
I thought that this feature loss would apply to Android phones as well; but perhaps I am wrong and in any case, Sonos needs to clarify.
If I am wrong it would be a compensation of sorts for Androids not doing Trueplay!

There has been no mention of Android or 'on this mobile device', so my working assumption is that that is unaffected, although confirmation would be welcome. I can see no reason to remove this feature from Android.

My reading of the situation is that Sonos have concluded that iOS has taken a direction that is incompatible with the way Sonos plays mobile content, and better to have no feature than one that will always be trouble.

Given the closed, proprietary nature of iOS, Sonos are more or less powerless to do anything about this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I wonder if the Apple fans here know that they can pick up a great Amazon Fire tablet for $50 or less. It works perfectly as a Sonos controller, including playing files "on this device".

I hadn’t considered that option. It has limits as it would mean managing two libraries unless I would be able to sync the libraries on the kindle and my iPhone without using my pc.
it would tick the box for a lot of reasons as the outlay is minimal so if Sonos remove the function from android too i would at least have a spare tablet.
Thanks. A really obvious option that I hadn’t thought of

I'm also pretty miffed with myself as I was considering a bluetooth speaker solution before going for sonos. #wishicouldturnbacktime

I don't think it requires the benefit of hindsight to say that a person whose use case is a single speaker (if I understand correctly), playing only from mobile devices, operating in a home with terrible internet, should have bought a Bluetooth speaker, not Sonos. I think the best advice in your case is to cut your losses, sell the Sonos and buy a Bluetooth speaker. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.