Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

838 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sad.
So if the feature ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ should not be longer be available both my Sonos one and Sonos 5 will go on next years garage sale and I am will look for another solution.
Then it is Goodbye SONOS

If you mean a Sonos One and not Play:1 and Sonos 5 being a Play:5 Gen 2...... you can Airplay your audio from your phone to Sonos.

That said, if you are selling them I'll gladly take them off your hands. What part of PA?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

If you mean a Sonos One and not Play:1 and Sonos 5 being a Play:5 Gen 2...... you can Airplay your audio from your phone to Sonos.

Or possibly implement one of the several other solutions that have been put forward - maybe even one of the no-cost ones.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Or possibly implement one of the several other solutions that have been put forward - maybe even one of the no-cost ones.

You mean there's multiple ways (that have been mentioned numerous times) to play my music through Sonos?!

I'm flabbergasted.
Sad.
So if the feature ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ should not be longer be available both my Sonos one and Sonos 5 will go on next years garage sale and I am will look for another solution.
Then it is Goodbye SONOS

Jeez. The One and 5 are Airplay compatible. You are barely affected. You clearly have no understanding of what is happening here, or are just making mischief. To sell Sonos in your situation would be stupid beyond words.

Although there have been many people on this thread who are genuinely inconvenienced by this change, I don't recall a thread wheich has contained so many threats of legal action or Sonos garage sales by people who are scarcely affected at all.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
For anyone uncertain if their speakers are Airplay compatible, go to Settings, Airplay and the app will list any that you gave.
Personally very disappointed with this axing of on this iPhone which is a great feature, I have just finished setting my house up with play 1’s and sound bar, base etc to now find out it will be pulled in the coming months. My hole music library is on iTunes which Sonos is now saying I will have to stream from another source. If I had known this 2 years ago I would of certainly not gone the Sonos root, but how much of it is Apple trying to get consumers to buy their products, as usual money men pulling the strings and trampling on the small man. What happens if the rich man on his million pound yacht has no 4G or streaming capability he has to rely on airplay which sounds pretty unreliable itself and unusable? Hopefully get of his fat arse and spring a few law suits on these companies that trample on the rest of us.
@Nellypops . Have you read any of the posts on this thread, or even just the first post, and the many options that enable you to continue playing your library without paying for a streaming service?

Airplay 2 is not 'unusable'.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
What happens if the rich man on his million pound yacht has no 4G or streaming capability he has to rely on airplay which sounds pretty unreliable itself and unusable? Hopefully get of his fat arse and spring a few law suits on these companies that trample on the rest of us.

I mean with that much money, he should have a stable wireless environment on the million pound yacht.

As long as he has a wireless router and airplay compatible devices, he should be able to airplay music to Sonos.

You don't need an internet connection to airplay music.

But should we keep talking about hypothetical's, or look towards an actual solution?
Airplay will not work in my situation as I said, I think a lot of people are missing the point, why the hell remove something that works for something that is more limiting and will probably cost more money to stream. Granted there are ways to get over it but why the hell should I if I have paid for a system that is changing for the worse. It’s as bad as spending thousands on your vinyl collection only for it to be obsolete when companies move to tape recorders, maybe Sonos will bring it back in thirty years time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Nellypops, you say your whole music collection is on iTunes? Stored where?
Airplay will not work in my situation as I said, I think a lot of people are missing the point, why the hell remove something that works for something that is more limiting and will probably cost more money to stream. Granted there are ways to get over it but why the hell should I if I have paid for a system that is changing for the worse. It’s as bad as spending thousands on your vinyl collection only for it to be obsolete when companies move to tape recorders, maybe Sonos will bring it back in thirty years time.

They aren't removing it without reason. They have tried to fix the flaw for a year now, ever since Apple released a version of iOS which greatly hampered the ability to play from an iDevice. There are dozens of threads with hundreds of posts complaining about this problem, and Sonos has decided that being unfixable, this feature was causing far too many support problems and should be eliminated for better alternatives.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
It’s as bad as spending thousands on your vinyl collection only for it to be obsolete when companies move to tape recorders...

Again with these bad anaolgies.

Revenue from US vinyl sales climbs to 30 year high

Did you know you can use line-in on Sonos to listen to your turntable? The same feature you can use to listen to the music stored on your phone, computer, 8-track player, or MP3 player.
It's Groundhog Day. The same discussion with a series of forum members who are not really interested in reasons or solutions. I suggest everyone just leaves it as 'please read the first post in this thread'.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
They just need to close this thread.
They just need to close this thread.

But what would you do for entertainment?
One of the reasons I bought Sonos, was exactly THIS feature.

Sure, I can waste more electricity and have a PC running, waste more money and buy a NAS, but all those things are what I did NOT want to do in the first place.

There must be some resolution to this, I Spent money on a product that currently works "as advertised" and now Sonos is changing those terms. I`m peeved to say the least and pretty sure there should be a refund or as already suggested a cheap upgrade plan, a real cheap upgrade.

Just removing a advertised feature I would argue is not really acceptable. Lets leave it at that for now.

Imagine in a few months Sonos decides not to support a specific speaker anymore....
Or a specific streaming service...
Or a specific NAS / PC solution...

Just leave the feature as is and it`s the end of this discussion.
They can't leave the feature as is. The current version of iOS has caused it to cease working for the majority of users. Sonos has attempted to fix this for going on a year, but without access to iOS code, there is nothing they can do.

By the way, Google Free Music allows you to upload your library and play it on Sonos for free. No cost, no extra electricity, no nothing except setup. I hope you find this, or another solution, because "On this iPhone" is being eliminated and it's not coming back.
Understood about the problems.

Google... no thank you. Don‘t need them to know what I am listening too as well. Bad enough as it is, but that is a different thing alltogether.

problem with all the online services is exactly that... online... means you need a good internet connection to get the songs up there and then to listen to it again. Some of us still pay for bandwidth used. So no, nothing online.

it stinks either wich way
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

The best way to play music stored on your phone to Sonos is now by using Apple AirPlay 2 on compatible Sonos speakers (Play:5 gen2, Playbase, Beam, Sonos One, and Sonos Amp). You can have an AirPlay 2 stream going to one of those speakers and use the Sonos app to group it with any other Sonos rooms to have them all playing in sync. You can find more information about using AirPlay 2 with Sonos here.

A few additional options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos without using AirPlay 2 include:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service. Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This route has a computer or networked hard drive on your local network used as a source for music. You can use your mobile device or any other Sonos controller to select and play music off of that drive.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. With a local music share, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to you music, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available. So you can leave the home and the music will keep on playing. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

More about how to ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ is on our support pages.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help them set up the necessary workarounds to keep listening to their favorite tracks on Sonos.

This is an awful decision, having invested thousands of pounds into Sonos products a critical part of the joy was that when friends and family visit they could all contribute from their iPhone onto a communal playlist that everyone could enjoy.

You cant remove a major feature like this when your customers have invested so heavily.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

You cant remove a major feature like this when your customers have invested so heavily.

Yes they can. And they are. They’ve explained why.

You cant remove a major feature like this when your customers have invested so heavily.Yes they can. And they are. They’ve explained why.

Yep! Sad when Apple don’t want to play but also sad that Sonos won’t roll out AirPlay to older devices because “they are saving the RAM and processor for other features”. It’s always the consumer that suffers in the end.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

You cant remove a major feature like this when your customers have invested so heavily.Yes they can. And they are. They’ve explained why.
Yep! Sad when Apple don’t want to play but also sad that Sonos won’t roll out AirPlay to older devices because “they are saving the RAM and processor for other features”. It’s always the consumer that suffers in the end.

Agreed: it is sad.

Could you use the Amp line-in and (dare I say it?) a Bluetooth receiver?

Yes! Sad when Apple don’t want to play but also sad that Sonos won’t roll out AirPlay to older devices because “they are saving the RAM and processor for other features”. It’s always the consumer that suffers in the end.

Do you have a link to where Sonos has stated this about Airplay, or is this just speculation on your part?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
@jgatie
I think @langers692 refers to an interview with Sonos’ chief product officer Nick Millington on Engadget:

"We decided that AirPlay 2 was a bit too much of a commitment of the remaining resources and RAM and processor inside that product," Millington explained. Instead, Sonos is saving those computing resources for updates that'll let the Play:1 work in multi-room setups with the company's newer speakers. Choosing longevity over a new feature is how the company thinks it can keep customers from having to replace otherwise perfectly good speakers within a few years.”

Not new features, but saving old features when connected to new devices in the coming years. Sounds plausible.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/03/sonos-expects-to-release-products-faster-now-that-it-s-gone-publ/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWN1bHR1cmUubmwv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABhm1PmflsYWSgzo2VQ1vX4pR9wqLvItdNlXeWBsR2qSorqI03a2xQRMYZcndl_g0CVyvnqOZ5Sr0LHIASVeeRdelCorcmDecCi1OK54TVdFGQpcYPN8l4NOBoO3jtBBetQ6fSuRFWHAtUccC_f4zS2WRSGd_Ue6cNLfbIqcQO_A
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Just saw the Ikea Symfonisk by Sonos (to be sold from august) has Airplay 2. That would be a relative low cost option to get Airplay 2 in your older Sonos system.

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ikea-collections/symfonisk/index.html