Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

1101 replies

Userlevel 4

I purchased the Sonos System because of the mobile support for the IOS music library. Now your'e taking it away?? Re-architect your software and fix the issues. Eliminating the functionality is not a fix. I have invested thousands of dollars in your systems. Can I get my money back?

I also bought your system so I could take my IOS Library to friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Now that will also be eliminated. What is the solution for that?
Agree 100% to stream from the playlists and albums I have downloaded is the only reason I bought all of these components. I feel like have made a very poor choice in investing in Sonos components. I will be reaching out to my investment advisor to see if he thinks we should short the stock as the company is either short of funds or tone deaf to its customers or both. Either way there is probably money to br made shorting SONO
Lol. Last I remember, Sonos said 90% of their customers stream only, and that was at least two years ago. Short away!

LOL all you want the stock is down 40% over last 12 months.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just discovered this thread after just posting because of pop up after using “on this device”. I’ve now tried using airplay as advised and guess what doesn’t work! It does not recognise either of the play 1’s or play 3, does recognise the play base but refuses to connect. Even if it did and I grouped the others to play, hardly convenient if somebody in the house wants to watch telly! Going to be forced to get a nas now I think...great thanks sonos
Userlevel 4
We first launched the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature in 2012 before AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

Here are a few options to play tracks that were locally stored on your phone to Sonos:
  1. Streaming the catalogue from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  2. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, like Apple Music, that will store your library and stream it. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a streaming service.
  3. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. This means setting up a hard drive on your local network and streaming the library off of there.
With option 3, you can share that library to Sonos using the steps here. This makes it so your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen, and the music will keep on playing as long as that storage location is available.

Taking away functions, that were there, when the customer bought the device is illegal in may countries. I think this is fraud. Will contact state attorney as soon as it happens.
Userlevel 4

Agreed. I guess it is what it is BUT we should t have to sign up and pay for a monthly music service to enable a feature. Also, AirPlay has its flaws as well. Such as, not being able to be on phone and listen to music at same time. So now the whole house has to go silent cause I make a call?Or get a NAS drive.

Why should I buy a NAS Drive? I already Paid SONOS for the feature. This is a criminal offence.
lol
Userlevel 4
My own personal thought is it’s perhaps Apple not willing to ‘bend’ (accommodate their partners) on the lock-screen/music interruption issue .. I don’t think it will apply to Android. We shall have to see, but no mention of Android in Jeff's post. I read it as applying to iOS only.

I'm an iOS user myself, but I much prefer a NAS for local storage/playback, but even that is now becoming more and more redundant these days.

I have been converted (oooeeerrr!!) and much now prefer the streaming music services. The services available nowadays have far more 'new' and 'old' music than I could ever have purchased. All of it right there at the Family fingertips.

Music all month/every month, for less than the cost of three beers (or two glasses of wine) at my local pub/bar ...and such a vast variety of tracks/genres to choose from.

I personally have no real reason to protest about about losing this feature from my iPad/iPhone devices. The NAS will remain though for those occasional times when the internet goes offline, but even that is a rare event.

Can u have intelligent Playlist on a NAS? With IOS you can (e.g. Play Songs with 3 Stars that were not played within the last 4 weeks and are tagged "funny")
Userlevel 4
NEVER TRUST SONOS
Userlevel 2
I'm really pissed because my iTunes library is now not playable on my 1st gen Play 5. All this sounds more like a scheme to make customers buy (additional) Sonos speakers that support Airplay.

But: What's the argument for staying on the Sonos platform then? If Airplay is the solution, why not directly use homepods - in the end, Airplay is more flexible than the Sonos app and the limited supported services, anyway.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
As per my first post on page1.
Why not give GPM free account ago, it will sycn with your itunes tracks and is FREE for 50,000 tracks. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing.
Userlevel 2
As per my first post on page1.
Why not give GPM free account ago, it will sycn with your itunes tracks and is FREE for 50,000 tracks. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing.

Besides it being Google and requiring a Google account (nope, thanks), GPM does not have my iTunes playcounts, for example. And then I'd need to keep two music libraries curated and in sync. Nope.
Userlevel 3
New Business Model will take place: remove features to press people, to buy newest hardware. Completely unacceptable. It’s time to say good-bye if you really forcing to remove this feature. Better to invest in hardware where you can be sure, that the customer is a value, which will being valued. Apple HomePod, I will keep more eyes on you now.
Userlevel 2
Like many others, I got the bits that were needed to be able to play directly from my phone. Great shame it's going, because that's about 80% of what I listen to (in a band, learning songs, and don't want to clog up my computer with the amount of rehearsals I record after I've transferred them to my phone).
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just to add, tried Airplay which did see the playbase but would not connect, now found the TV will not play through the playbase!! had to switch off and on again to get the playbase recognised and working. It never ends. Do we actually know when when the "on this device" function will be disabled?
Just to add, tried Airplay which did see the playbase but would not connect, now found the TV will not play through the playbase!! had to switch off and on again to get the playbase recognised and working. It never ends. Do we actually know when when the "on this device" function will be disabled?
Is your phone recent enough to be Airplay 2 compatible? (I think it needs iOS 11.4 or greater)
New Business Model will take place: remove features to press people, to buy newest hardware. Completely unacceptable. It’s time to say good-bye if you really forcing to remove this feature. Better to invest in hardware where you can be sure, that the customer is a value, which will being valued. Apple HomePod, I will keep more eyes on you now.
This is rubbish. Changes made by Apple to iOS have created this issue, which is why the feature will remain on Android.
Userlevel 2
Enough is enough! Goodbye Sonos - Hello Apple HomePod. You have lost a very loyal customer (1 Sub, 4 Play:1).
Enough is enough! Goodbye Sonos - Hello Apple HomePod. You have lost a very loyal customer (1 Sub, 4 Play:1).
So Apple get the reward for creating this (minor) issue on Sonos? Great logic.

My own personal thought is it’s perhaps Apple not willing to ‘bend’ (accommodate their partners) on the lock-screen/music interruption issue .. I don’t think it will apply to Android. We shall have to see, but no mention of Android in Jeff's post. I read it as applying to iOS only.

I'm an iOS user myself, but I much prefer a NAS for local storage/playback, but even that is now becoming more and more redundant these days.

I have been converted (oooeeerrr!!) and much now prefer the streaming music services. The services available nowadays have far more 'new' and 'old' music than I could ever have purchased. All of it right there at the Family fingertips.

Music all month/every month, for less than the cost of three beers (or two glasses of wine) at my local pub/bar ...and such a vast variety of tracks/genres to choose from.

I personally have no real reason to protest about about losing this feature from my iPad/iPhone devices. The NAS will remain though for those occasional times when the internet goes offline, but even that is a rare event.
Can u have intelligent Playlist on a NAS? With IOS you can (e.g. Play Songs with 3 Stars that were not played within the last 4 weeks and are tagged "funny")

Could you do that using 'on this iPhone' in the Sonos app? That is what is being removed. Most NAS drives are iTunes compatible, and can sync to your phone.
Userlevel 3

New Business Model will take place: remove features to press people, to buy newest hardware. Completely unacceptable. It’s time to say good-bye if you really forcing to remove this feature. Better to invest in hardware where you can be sure, that the customer is a value, which will being valued. Apple HomePod, I will keep more eyes on you now.This is rubbish. Changes made by Apple to iOS have created this issue, which is why the feature will remain on Android.
Userlevel 3

New Business Model will take place: remove features to press people, to buy newest hardware. Completely unacceptable. It’s time to say good-bye if you really forcing to remove this feature. Better to invest in hardware where you can be sure, that the customer is a value, which will being valued. Apple HomePod, I will keep more eyes on you now.This is rubbish. Changes made by Apple to iOS have created this issue, which is why the feature will remain on Android.
Userlevel 3
Issue? I don’t believe! That’s not the first time that you are playing with your customers. If it’s an issue, address it to Apple and solve „this issue“. You never would remove a feature, if this would be an issue by partner company.
Issue? I don’t believe! That’s not the first time that you are playing with your customers. If it’s an issue, address it to Apple and solve „this issue“. You never would remove a feature, if this would be an issue by partner company.
First, I don't work for Sonos. Second, Apple aren't going to change iOS to oblige a small subset of users of a (comparatively) small partner, to fix a problem for which there are numerous simple workarounds anyway. Apple may also be figuring that some people will blame Sonos and buy HomePods instead.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I also bought your system so I could take my IOS Library to friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Now that will also be eliminated. What is the solution for that?

You know Android is looking mighty nice these days.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The iPad I’m using is on.ios 12.3.1 fully up to date, also the iPhone which I also tried. I’ve managed to get the play base back but as previously pointed out airplay combined with sonos grouping to get the older devices working is just not practicle in the house. I’ll go nas, probably mycloud from wd which appears to be the best option for iTunes users. Does anybody know of any useful guides on setup with sonos....much appreciated if so
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Does anybody know of any useful guides on setup with sonos....much appreciated if so

Luckily it is relatively straight forward.

Using a NAS drive with Sonos