Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

WTF?!! I saw this message for the first time over the weekend and I can't believe you are acting in such an arrogant and flippant fashion.

I specifically bought into Sonos because of the wireless playback directly from my iPhone. I did not expect that within 4 years you would be removing such a key piece of functionality and basically crippling the way I use it.

Believe it or not Sonos, some people don't have time to manage separate music centres, or NAS drives or network computers.

Some of us cant afford to pay for streaming services each month.

Some (most I'd think!) EXPECT that something they buy and pay for to continue to exist!

I've had problems in the past with skipping tracks streamed from my iPhone to Sonos - but its been consistently stable for many months - and now you are removing the very piece of software that actually makes your products useable?

This is lazy and cheap engineering and the poorest service level I have experienced from a modern day tech company,

Are you going to subsidise a subscription to Apple Music for my family? Are you going to give me a discount to upgrade my speakers? Or a refund to make up for the financial loss I;ve made by investing in your products?

No? Thought not.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Very disappointed by this decision. I have turned off auto update features while I research Sonos alternatives. For as much as I have always been a Sonos advocate, I find the removal of functionally inexcusable.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
This is hugely disappointing and I can see it is going to significantly impact loads of people.

I could totally believe this is down to apple - like lock screen controls it always felt like Sonos had found a clever exploit to add this feature rather than something apple supported. I do also wonder if the alternatives, especially streaming just fit better with the general move to voice control which the majority seemingly want.

Personally I won’t be too badly affected as I’ve always used a NAS for music and bought most of my Sonos kit before this feature even existed. I will miss being able stick on a new itunes purchase or a recently edited playlist without syncing everything up from iphone to laptop to NAS, and am fearful of apple’s future iTunes plans further impacting this step also in the future.
As these changes only affect iOS devices and the simple fact Android mobile controller libraries are continuing to be streamed as normal to Sonos devices. It seems (entirely) logical to me that the real issue here is squarely at Apples door. I personally hold Apple accountable for the demise of this “On this iThingy” service ...and before anyone 'argues the toss', let me just say I’m an actual Apple fan too.

Apple needs to address the problem and if anyone thinks otherwise here, my guess is they are 'most probably' mistaken.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
As these changes only affect iOS devices and the simple fact Android mobile controller libraries are continuing to be streamed as normal to Sonos devices. It seems (entirely) logical to me that the real issue here is squarely at Apples door. I personally hold Apple accountable for the demise of this “On this iThingy” service ...and before anyone 'argues the toss', let me just say I’m an actual Apple fan too.

Apple needs to address the problem and if anyone thinks otherwise here, my guess is they are 'most probably' mistaken.

Thanks for explaining that for us chief.

By your logic apple would be responsible for issues with the billion odd apps in their store every time they make a change in iOS.

Sonos is responsible for their own s#$%. They can't or won't fix it.
This thread is surely now a complete waste of everyone's time. Every conceivable insult has been hurled at Sonos . Every other option for playing a local library has been explained. There is nothing new left to say. It is a dialogue of the deaf and nobody's mind is going to be changed.

No matter how many people complain, Sonos won't change this decision. They never do.

I hope everyone finds a solution that works for them, whether with or without Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
This thread is surely now a complete waste of everyone's time. Every conceivable insult has been hurled at Sonos . Every other option for playing a local library has been explained. There is nothing new left to
say.

With the number of posts you made defending this decision I'm not surprised you have nothing left to say.

As far as nothing new, I personally wouldn't presume to speak for the Sonos owners who continue to register to express their disappointment and frustration with the deletion of a feature that's been around for 7 years.
No more argument from me. I indeed have nothing left to say.
Userlevel 1
No matter how many people complain, Sonos won't change this decision. They never do.

It’s about time that they will!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

And I’m sure they would, if enough people complain, and if there is a solution.

However, some issues are simply not fixable.

Some might be fixable with a lot of time and resource dedicated to it. But taking staff off the improvements to Alexa and Google Assistant might cause an upset from other users.

Sonos have a tough decision; the original announcement did say they’d tried to find a solution, and they did suggest a number of workarounds. They don’t suit everyone, I accept.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
WTF?!! I saw this message for the first time over the weekend and I can't believe you are acting in such an arrogant and flippant fashion.

I specifically bought into Sonos because of the wireless playback directly from my iPhone. I did not expect that within 4 years you would be removing such a key piece of functionality and basically crippling the way I use it.

Believe it or not Sonos, some people don't have time to manage separate music centres, or NAS drives or network computers.

Some of us cant afford to pay for streaming services each month.

Some (most I'd think!) EXPECT that something they buy and pay for to continue to exist!

I've had problems in the past with skipping tracks streamed from my iPhone to Sonos - but its been consistently stable for many months - and now you are removing the very piece of software that actually makes your products useable?

This is lazy and cheap engineering and the poorest service level I have experienced from a modern day tech company,

Are you going to subsidise a subscription to Apple Music for my family? Are you going to give me a discount to upgrade my speakers? Or a refund to make up for the financial loss I;ve made by investing in your products?

No? Thought not.

Here here. Well said
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for explaining that for us chief.

By your logic apple would be responsible for issues with the billion odd apps in their store every time they make a change in iOS.

Ha. Certainly seems like a cop out. And us being the consumers of their products are being duped.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This thread is surely now a complete waste of everyone's time. Every conceivable insult has been hurled at Sonos . Every other option for playing a local library has been explained. There is nothing new left to
say.
With the number of posts you made defending this decision I'm not surprised you have nothing left to say.

As far as nothing new, I personally wouldn't presume to speak for the Sonos owners who continue to register to express their disappointment and frustration with the deletion of a feature that's been around for 7 years.

Very true Peagle - well said
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And I’m sure they would, if enough people complain, and if there is a solution.

However, some issues are simply not fixable.

Some might be fixable with a lot of time and resource dedicated to it. But taking staff off the improvements to Alexa and Google Assistant might cause an upset from other users.

Sonos have a tough decision; the original announcement did say they’d tried to find a solution, and they did suggest a number of workarounds. They don’t suit everyone, I accept.

Instead of getting rid of the feature, leave it there even if it’s not perfect for now.

I just received an update from Sonos app which I won’t be applying to my iOS devices
As these changes only affect iOS devices and the simple fact Android mobile controller libraries are continuing to be streamed as normal to Sonos devices. It seems (entirely) logical to me that the real issue here is squarely at Apples door.
Presumably iOS does not need this feature to stream to Apple HomePods, so the above seems a reasonable conclusion - that a change in iOS has caused this issue. One thing I don't understand if that be the case: how is that the feature works today? Or will continue to work if Sonos upgrades are not applied in future?
Also, does iOS allow this feature to continue working with other apps, like Spotify Connect, for example. I understand that has a different philosophy, the phone is no longer in the loop once music starts playing on the target device, so perhaps that isn't a good comparison.

We'll continue to support everyone through this changeI suppose what is implicit in this is that if one does not want this change, that can be done by opting out from software upgrades?
You can choose to opt out of software updates. Support in this sense means that we will help customers use one of the many different options for streaming their music.

A follow up question to my preceding post, based on the quoted above response from Sonos.
If the feature is already not working reliably, this should also have been clearly said in the response quoted above?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
nos have a tough decision; the original announcement did say they’d tried to find a solution, and they did suggest a number of workarounds. They don’t suit everyone, I accept.

When Sonos bricked their cr100 controller the reason they said was that the battery was dangerous. This proved to actually not be the case.

So with their past dishonesty it is difficult for me to take them at their word today.

Did you know they also touted that the acr could connect to Sonos net as an alternative to the cr100 for some folks? They removed this feature a version or two ago. They also crippled the desktop control which was another alternative.

Did you also know that when Sonos bricked their iOS dock recently, owners were suggested to use the play from this device as an alternative. Now this is being removed.

Every bricking or feature removal follows the same script
- we tried but we can't keep the feature/hardware
- hardly anyone uses the feature
- it's old and obsolete
- buy/use this feature/hardware instead

Rinse repeat

Rinse repeat

When you add it all up, deletion of kit/features certainly looks to have accelerated significantly. And perhaps not all of it has been as well managed as it could have been.

I suspect that Sonos has woken up to the fact that their stance on keeping backward compatibility while adding new features needed for corporate survival was proving to be a millstone and we are seeing some of the results from that stance changing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Would like to state that I had played music from my iPhone on my Sonos today for 5 hours without any problem.
And I haven’t nor won’t update the app
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Would like to state that I had played music from my iPhone on my Sonos today for 5 hours without any problem.

And for those that want to keep using the facility, that is an option too.

Re reading the first post on this thread, it would appear that you are lucky on this score, given, as that post says, that this feature has become unreliable. Which also means you can't get Sonos support help to fix issues of music not playing flawlessly via this mode should that happen in future.
The other thing to do is research all it takes to not upgrade the app or the Sonos hardware. It is quite a tricky task, getting that done in a foolproof way.
"Unreliable" means the playback interruption issue when Airplay is turned on on an Apple TV on the same network (workaround is to de-activate Airplay on the Apple TV). They can't/don't want to fix it. It seems SONOS needs to exist on its own for it to work as advertised but in the real world everyone will have other devices on their wireless network and an Apple TV is probably a common one.

I haven't read every comment but I can imagine this is going to annoy lots of people - myself included.

Okay, I won't be taking anymore app updates and certainly won't be buying anymore SONOS products (and a Beam was on my shopping list). When Sony removed "Other OS" from the PS3 they faced a class action over it - can someone organise the same for this please.
I have to agree with the sentiment that there's no real benefit, for me, to continue posting here as it seems unlikely that I'll have anything new to contribute. And my views on the subject will remain until, possibly, cleaned up by moderators. Though, to be honest, I do not beileve the moderators are trying to cleanse the thread of anti-Sonos views, at all.

And I do appreciate and thank the few non-Sonos employee forum users who have posted suggestions and answered questions on how to implement those alternatives. And, at least financially, I would be able to implement some of those alternatives, I just choose not to throw good money after bad, but that's my personal choice. It's also obvious from other peoples' posts that some people are willing to spend additional money to get their investment in Sonos technology to work so, again, the helpful thread contributors should be thanked.

For my part, I've started posting my opinions on sites where people are likely to look for pre-purchase information. I don't believe people will look for or find this community site, and related threads, until it's too late for them to make an informed purchase. The first of my non-en.community.sonos.com posts went live last night, and I will continue creating similar reviews on related review sites until I get bored. And, instead of spending my money to implement what is for my purposes a workaround (and I also agree that what is a workaround for me is simply how others intended to use the technology to begin with), I've decided to start a hobby website where I will document my experiences, as well as the experiences that others have add with the Play:1 and other Sonos equipment where Sonos has made similar "hard" decisions, but only after verifying that they actually occurred. At least that's my intent, I may get bored with it quickly. But until I do get bored, the purchase of sonos-sucks.com was a rather low cost investment for my new hobby.

In this situation, where code from two different companies need to work together in sync, terms like 'cause', 'reason', 'responsibility' are not clear enough on their own. The facts of the matter are that the feature was working fine until something changed. What changed was iOS, not Sonos code. Sonos is not responsible for changes to the iOS since they can't change that code. In order for the problem to go away, either iOS or Sonos code would need to be modified. Obviously, iOS could restore it's previous code, but it stands to reason that Sonos may not be able to restore full functionality by changing things on their side.

As far as who should work to fix the issue, I think that depends on which company has the motivation to do so. It looks like Apple made the changes to support airplay 2 and other features and that is clearly a priority feature from thier perspective. Consumers are not blaming them for this issue, and even if they did, they would not want to risk bringing instability to airplay 2 by trying to fix this issue. As well, I don't think the mechanism for 'play from this device' was ever a feature Apple told their developers they could use and get support from Apple on. I really don't see why Apple would want to fix this on their side given the situation.

On the Sonos side of things, it's pretty clear that they had the motivation to fix the issue. Their consumers are blaming them for the issue (deserved or not). The problem effects them in potentially lost sales, upset customers, and support costs. The best answer, if it were possible, would clearly be to fix the issue and move on. Sonos has tried to make that happen for the past year. Ignoring the problem or dropping the feature would not be the logical best course of action.

The idea that Sonos just won't fix the issue makes no sense to me. It suggests that the fix for the issue is known, or a reasonable expectation that a certain level of troubleshooting will resolve the issue. After a year of trying to fix the issue, it's seems very reasonable to believe Sonos is telling the truth when they say neither of those are true.

None of that really matters though to a consumer though, as consumers are the only ones who have to move past the issue by either using a different means to get their music or deciding to go with another speaker brand. Both choices that consumers never wanted to decide between. And I'm sure some would disagree, but I can't imagine that Sonos is happy about their involvement in putting consumers in this position.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Why does Sonos not leave the ability to play from iOS devices as is? This would at least give the user the choice to use a slightly flawed feature, or if that does not meet their need, to find a different solution.

I have Apple TV, I have experienced songs dropping off on occasion. This is much less troublesome to me than having a feature removed entirely. I have NAS setup and still prefer the play from device feature to the NAS option. Right now I have a choice, Sonos is removing the ability to make that choice. I believe in all likelihood this issue will have a solution in the future. Would Sonos reintegrate the play from this device feature for iOS users at that time? My gut tells me no.