Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post

565 replies

So because it's too hard to keep up with the world's largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer...Samsung? This will still work fine on their Android phones...
Yeah - for now

And, technically, Samsung is NOT the largest smartphone and electronics manufacturer, at least according to Forbes, Apple was. I believe Samsung did sell more Android phones, than Apple sold iPhones, though.

Rank Company Country Market Value* Assets*
1 Apple United States 961 374
2 Samsung Electronics South Korea 272 304
3 Microsoft United States 947 259

* in billions.

And, of course, because I want to credit the source of my information and I'm not sure how well the above formatted for reading, here is the link to the Forbes article. Or, you could believe Chicklet.
From https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2019/05/15/worlds-largest-tech-companies-2019/#68c09c7f734f

Also, Mondelēz International is the largest manufacturer, though, of candy-coated chewing gum.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why do I have to be put out now! Might just sell the bloody things. Buy a set that uses Bluetooth
It would be easier and cheaper to add Bluetooth capability to your system by connectimg a $/£30 Echo Dot to your Play:5's line in
Thanks but why should I have to go and buy another product when I have shelled out for a system that currently works - most of the time anyway. I got two play:5’s joined - will it work for both? And my play:1?
Yes. Line in can be played on any and all of your speakers. Look, you were threatening to sell off your system and buy a Bluetooth enabled system (expensive in time and money) and I'm suggesting you can get the same result for next to nothing. Those are the options, the previous state is no longer an option. Cheap or expensive, your choice. I'm just trying to help.

You might find a better BT receiver than a Dot.

You would have to be in BT range of the receiver.

And I appreciate your help. Thank you.
I guess I’m getting old and like to whinge so apologies.
Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I've removed some posts in here that are full of unnecessary attacks on users and generally needlessly argumentative and aggressive. Others remain, but we'll leave them for now. Please keep it friendly with each other, and the topic on point.

This is a complicated thread and we need to remember to work together so that people looking for answers in this thread are able to find them, and not to get chased away with vitriol.
I don't know, this does not look like a Sonos One to me, unless a Sonos One and a Play:1 look identical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
They look similar, but there are some key differences. The Play:1 has physical buttons on top, which is recessed while the Sonos One has a flat top cap, no buttons. Also, the black Play:1 has a grey grille while the Sonos One is solid black, as shown above. Here's a good picture from a review online:

As I mentioned in private message with you, I've already passed along the confusion to our team to investigate.
Thanks again, Ryan. You are right, that picture does make them seem more distinct with the top buttons and the grille color difference. Mine looks about midway between the grey and the black, but that could be due to the difference in lighting in my home office and the set where the Sonos pictures were taken. Maybe if you shipped me a One I could do a better side by side comparison. Just kidding. And maybe mine will look lighter on the forum.

Appreciate your help.

Why would you (Sonos) do this!?? Why reduce functionality? This feature is THE reason I bought a Sonos Connect a year ago. This would really be unacceptable!! Or do people like me get a free Sonos Amp from you (Sonos) as compensation? Again, this is really unacceptable and I hope that you will come back to this decision.
With regards,
GerritseM

Hoping on an offical reaction from Sonos 🙂
Cheers.

No worries. I understand the frustration. I know that none of the options gives you exactly what you have now, or exactly what you want. But you can still have a good Sonos experience after this change, it is just a case of whether you want that or would rather search for a solution outside Sonos that better meets your particular requirements (if, overall, you can find that).
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I keep hearing about NAS - I don't even know what that is, let alone have any idea how to set one up, and thereafter import all of my playlists. Thanks for giving me that "option." How about you swap out my 2 Pay 1 speakers for compatible ones that I can use.If your WiFi router has a USB port (most newer ones do), you can stick a USB thumb drive in it, with your music files copied to it, and point Sonos to the share created for it by your router's software. Not as good as a true NAS, but it does work, usually.

Most folks nowadays simply subscribe to a music service, such as Spotify. Sonos supports more music services than any other multiroom audio system, by far. A few of them allow you to upload your music to their cloud, and play them back via Sonos or their app.

Ok, with this USB stick in the router, how does one get my fantastic Sonos app to play the songs from it?
And can I have say two folders to choose from - one being my wife’s music and other being mine?
Ill have to buy a fairly large capacity dongle or can I use a self powered external hard drive instead?

If I could pull this off then I’ll keep my Sonos system - but only if it will allow me to play on all version of my speakers.

Thanks in advance.....
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Cheers.
No worries. I understand the frustration. I know that none of the options gives you exactly what you have now, or exactly what you want. But you can still have a good Sonos experience after this change, it is just a case of whether you want that or would rather search for a solution outside Sonos that better meets your particular requirements (if, overall, you can find that).

With installing an Echo Dot, will one allow me to play music via Bluetooth to all my speakers in separate rooms? I have 2xplay5 in lounge, 1xplay1 in bedroom and bar and sub in study.
Thanks John.
😡😡😡😡😡 Are you kidding me Sonos? I invested heavily in a lot of Play:1s (and have a Connect and an original Play:5) and use this feature all the time. Airplay 2 is no solution! Even products you are selling today do not even work with Airplay 2 so how is this justifiable?
Can I please get a free trade in for a newer model with Airplay 2 then? 😡😡😡😡😡
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
😡😡 😡 😡 😡 Are you kidding me Sonos? I invested heavily in a lot of Play:1s (and have a Connect and an original Play:5) and use this feature all the time. Airplay 2 is no solution! Even products you are selling today do not even work with Airplay 2 so how is this justifiable?
Can I please get a free trade in for a newer model with Airplay 2 then? 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

Great hey? Not like these speakers are cheap. You invest in an ecosystem once you’ve done your research and then the conditions change right under you. 🖕🏻

Cheers.
With installing an Echo Dot, will one allow me to play music via Bluetooth to all my speakers in separate rooms? I have 2xplay5 in lounge, 1xplay1 in bedroom and bar and sub in study.
Thanks John.

Yes, in that any line in can be selected as the source for any room. Where you might have a problem is if your phone is out of BT range of the Dot when you are in a different room. Every home is different but I thought I would experiment a bit on my system. I also have an idea for getting round this potential problem but I'll test that before posting back.

You would not be able to play multiple different streams
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
😡😡 😡 😡 😡 Are you kidding me Sonos? I invested heavily in a lot of Play:1s (and have a Connect and an original Play:5) and use this feature all the time. Airplay 2 is no solution! Even products you are selling today do not even work with Airplay 2 so how is this justifiable?
Can I please get a free trade in for a newer model with Airplay 2 then? 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

Can you use the input to the Connect from your phone’s headphone output? Or the Line In to the Play:5? Not as flexible as wireless, I willingly concede, but still keeps everything useable.
Can you use the input to the Connect from your phone’s headphone output? Or the Line In to the Play:5? Not as flexible as wireless, I willingly concede, but still keeps everything useable.

Any analog source can be used for the line-in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why would you (Sonos) do this!?? Why reduce functionality? This feature is THE reason I bought a Sonos Connect a year ago. This would really be unacceptable!! Or do people like me get a free Sonos Amp from you (Sonos) as compensation? Again, this is really unacceptable and I hope that you will come back to this decision.
With regards,
GerritseM

Hoping on an offical reaction from Sonos :)

The original post of this thread was from a Sonos employee and explained why this change was occurring. It didn't mention anything about a voucher or other form of compensation that you're looking for.
Userlevel 1
Killing this feature sucks BIGtime 😡
Forcing customers to buy a new device
Userlevel 1
Badge
I might have missed something here, is it possible to put my iTunes library on an android tablet add the sonos app and continue using “,on this device”?
I might have missed something here, is it possible to put my iTunes library on an android tablet add the sonos app and continue using “,on this device”?

Yes. Android devices still have the "on this device" functionality.

Now cue the gloom and doomer "for now" comments which have no basis in fact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Killing this feature sucks BIGtime 😡

Forcing customers to buy a new device

Well, only if they do not already have an airplay 2 Sonos speaker, mac, windows PC, NAS, or android phone/tablet and you don't want use a streaming service.
Just found out about not being able to play from iPhone or iPad in the future
Can’t believe that when people can hack into government sites, banks, utilities and just that the USA managed to disable some of Iran’s weapons system, that the Sonos software engineers can’t overcome a problem with an Apple device. Does this also apply to Android phones ?
Going to miss one of the main reasons and features I loved Sonos and judging the amount of feedback to this subject there are a lot of u happy customers !!!!
Does this also apply to Android phones ?

No, it does not apply to Android devices.
Badge
This really sucks!
I use 'on in this iPhone' to play podcasts I downloaded especially to play on my Sonos, since the podcasts (in my language Dutch) available in the Sonos app are very scarce.
So actually I am unhappy twice! Boooooh 😠
Userlevel 1
Badge

I might have missed something here, is it possible to put my iTunes library on an android tablet add the sonos app and continue using “,on this device”?Yes. Android devices still have the "on this device" functionality.

Now cue the gloom and doomer "for now" comments which have no basis in fact.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for this, not sure I’m ready to go for network storage solution just yet, gives me an option.