Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1101 replies

Hello, I too am somewhat annoyed about the removal of on this iPhone feature which I use all the time and is the reason I bought Sonos, don’t stream at all, I like having the CD’s.

i have followed this thread with interest and have uploaded my iTunes library to google play, too ages but it’s done and seems ok, some stuff not quite right, no compilation distinction but it works and that is the main thing.

I have niw now tried to upload my wife’s iTunes library (which is on the same laptop) but google play can’t find it as when iTunes created it, it saved it in a folder inside my iTunes folder, google play only seems to look for the top level iTunes folder.

i have managed to upload her library by uploading from folders but her playlists are not there, anyone know how I can get them?

i realise this a bit off topic and more google play but I wouldn’t have to faf about learning how to manage a different music application if Sonos hadn’t messed me about, also thought someone on here might be in a similar situation and have found an answer,

thanks in advance,

Jim

The top section of the page is about the Play:1, and refers only to control via the app, not voice control or Airplay 2.

Then there are images of all Sonos speakers, and the heading 'why choose Sonos'. Not 'why choose the Play:1'.
Ok. But I clicked on the Play:1, scrolled down, and saw the text shown. Poor website development does not mean that what is still (still as in right this minute) being shown to potential customers is misleading/false/untrue.
Seriously, it could potentially mislead someone new to Sonos, and I agree that it would be better not to run that risk. I don't agree that it is false or untrue.

Nice addition. Unfortunately, it is false and untrue for the Play:1 and should not be displayed in a page linked from a Play:1 link. I’m revoking my like (as if you care) from your comment since you edited it after the like.
And I’m bored with Chicklet and won’t be posting on the Sonos forums about this anymore, other places I will definitely be posting.
Why distract from understandable feelings of grievance by contriving off-topic and unjustified accusations of deception?
Completely agree!!! I paid for a premium device. If Sonos either can't be bothered to work it out with Apple (if that's the case) then they have a very small opinion of its customer base. If I were you (as I did) complain to Sonos directly.

The more complaints they get and the more 'threats' of not fit for purpose or not sold as advertised they get, perhaps they'll listen.

Like most of you, I don't nor want to sign up to premium music services, nor want to stream from the cloud my Mac or a NAS/storage device. My music is right here on my iPhone and I want to play my music to the speaker I bought to play them back on.

The option is still there (for now). On your iPhone, in the Sonos APP setting (not the controller), scroll down to the bottom option 'show on this device'. Nicely hidden.

Keep complaining to them direct. I very much doubt these forums are monitored or bothered with.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
THANK YOU SO MUCH SONOS. ITS THE ONLY FEATURE MY WIFE AND I USE AND NOW YOU’RE TAKING IT AWAY????
WHY WOULD YOU TAKE AWAY THIS FUNCTION?
ITS THE MAIN REASON WHY I BOUGHT FOUR SPEAKERS AND A SUB.
SO NOW I HAVE TO GO OUT OF MY WAY AND HASSLE OR SPEND MORE MONEY CAUSE YOU GUYS CANT GET IT TOGETHER?
GREAT INVESTMENT. MY SPEAKERS DON’T SEEM TO HAVE AIRPLAY THINGY AND NO YOU CONFUSE US WITH THIS.
Completely agree!!! I paid for a premium device. If Sonos either can't be bothered to work it out with Apple (if that's the case) then they have a very small opinion of its customer base. If I were you (as I did) complain to Sonos directly.

The more complaints they get and the more 'threats' of not fit for purpose or not sold as advertised they get, perhaps they'll listen.

Like most of you, I don't nor want to sign up to premium music services, nor want to stream from the cloud my Mac or a NAS/storage device. My music is right here on my iPhone and I want to play my music to the speaker I bought to play them back on.

The option is still there (for now). On your iPhone, in the Sonos APP setting (not the controller), scroll down to the bottom option 'show on this device'. Nicely hidden.

Keep complaining to them direct. I very much doubt these forums are monitored or bothered with.

Ok, I lied, I'm still posting. I'll just ignore certain people.

But yes, @leedrich, I have been and continue to communicating with Sonos through their support channel. And I realize that the first line support people have no power to affect anything, anymore than a small piece of hard candy coated gum has the ability to influence, well, anyone. I only continue to communicate so that my support responses may get bumped up to someone who may have some influence.

The thing that is so difficult to understand about this "hard decision" is that NO ONE thinks the current streaming functionality is unusable. Sure, every so often I need to do some things to get it to work as intended, things found from other people's posts on what they've done to get it to work, such as resetting the speaker to factory settings, forgetting the wifi on your iphone and rejoining, and some other things. Yes, it's annoying. But it works. Post "hard decision", it won't.

Anyway, here's my latest response to Sonos, sent from my iCould Mail (an Apple service). Hmm, thought to self... wonder how long this and most of my other posts will last after Ryan gets to work tomorrow? Probably not long.

Lol, I just noticed the actual words on the Sonos Play:1 ad link - "Brilliant Sound Your Way". I guess they forgot the parenthetical (As Long As Your Way Matches The Way We Decide To Change/Eliminate Your Way In The Future - Whenever We Want)
No one with any exposure to the real world takes all marketing claims at face value.
For a long time, Sonos had a slogan - all the music in the world...or some such. It simply could not be true, in a literal sense. No one complains about that one.
For every person that bought a Sonos speaker just as something to play music from their phone on, many many more bought bluetooth speakers of various price points. From mains powered types at one end, to those that can be taken to a pool at the other. Which is the correct approach.
Using a Sonos speaker for playing only music contained in a phone was a misguided purchase to start with. That said, by opting out of the upgrade path, it will continue to work in that limited manner.
No one with any exposure to the real world takes all marketing claims at face value.
For a long time, Sonos had a slogan - all the music in the world...or some such. It simply could not be true, in a literal sense. No one complains about that one.
For every person that bought a Sonos speaker just as something to play music from their phone on, many many more bought bluetooth speakers of various price points. From mains powered types at one end, to those that can be taken to a pool at the other. Which is the correct approach.
Using a Sonos speaker for playing only music contained in a phone was a misguided purchase to start with. That said, by opting out of the upgrade path, it will continue to work in that limited manner.

Until I upgrade my iPhone, like every little Apple-hugging drone wants to do as soon as a new model is released.

But not everyone upgrades phones that quickly, so your point is well made, especially for people who join the thread late and don't take the time to read other people's valid suggestions. And I do realize that there are people like you who actually are trying to help and provide options. So, thanks and I respect you (and the few others) for that.
I have been and continue to communicating with Sonos through their support channel. And I realize that the first line support people have no power to affect anything,

The last time I checked, there is an address on this site for reaching the CEO. Some better focused research would have led you to it.
I am merely mentioning this for others that read this who want to not meander around with their communication. The results may be the same, but there isn't any harm in making a better effort.

The last time I checked, there is an address on this site for reaching the CEO. Some better focused research would have led you to it.
I am merely mentioning this for others that read this who want to not meander around with their communication. The results may be the same, but there isn't any harm in making a better effort.

Good point and I vaguely recall someone else (or maybe an earlier post by you) mentioning this additional research.

So... thank you, again.

And I do realize that there are people like you who actually are trying to help and provide options. So, thanks and I respect you (and the few others) for that.

@chicks

Just to be clear, this is in no way refering to any of your comments, Chicklet.
Happy to help. Experience says that there will be no going back from this decision by Sonos. Compared to some recent ones, this one is minor, so options are all that are available.

And I believe that in the long term, jumping ship to another make will prove to be frying pan into the fire. Unless it is to do so via what should have been done in the first place, for a single room, play audio from the phone application - getting a bluetooth speaker from the extremely competitive market out there. Of course if the Sonos you have is blessed with a line in jack, wiring something like an Echo Dot to it will do the trick just as well, by allowing music from the phone to be streamed to it via Bluetooth.

Sound quality that is just as good as Sonos is available in the huge BT speaker market, at similar or even a little lower price points.
Userlevel 1
To the point of the website being misleading (which it is) or not. The advertisement is still Sonos responsibility. A Lawyer my even say liable. And to those putting down people using their phones to play music, why shouldn’t they use their phones however they want. They’re more powerful than computers were ten years ago. Oh and I use my iPad like a jukebox. And Sonos can see how much I use it in their data! But Sonos is killing that. I’m already searching replacement speakers for when my system stops working. As for work arounds, why should I be inconvenienced because Sonos doesn’t value me as a customer! The new speakers won’t be Sonos speakers. This the problem with the digital world today there is no respect or honor! Only how to scam every last dollar from your customers.
Of course if the Sonos you have is blessed with a line in jack, wiring something like an Echo Dot to it will do the trick just as well, by allowing music from the phone to be streamed to it via Bluetooth.

mine has an Ethernet port, is that what you are referring to?
To the point of the website being misleading (which it is) or not. The advertisement is still Sonos responsibility. A Lawyer my even say liable. And to those putting down people using their phones to play music, why shouldn’t they use their phones however they want. They’re more powerful than computers were ten years ago. Oh and I use my iPad like a jukebox. And Sonos can see how much I use it in their data! But Sonos is killing that. I’m already searching replacement speakers for when my system stops working. As for work arounds, why should I be inconvenienced because Sonos doesn’t value me as a customer! The new speakers won’t be Sonos speakers. This the problem with the digital world today there is no respect or honor! Only how to scam every last dollar from your customers.

Uh-oh, I see a want-to-be scathing comment heading your way from Chicklet...

No; I refer to the line in jacks for audio signals of the kind that only play5/Connect/Connect Amp have. The kind that will work even after the feature is deleted, when the phone is wire connected from its headphone jack to it. Or, via bluetooth, if a bluetooth receiver like Echo Dot, is wired to it.

It seems to me that inadvertently or otherwise, Sonos set the ball rolling on this issue when they launched the play 1 unit that sold in very large numbers, to a very different customer profile than prior to its launch. Before the play 1 proliferation, the customer profile was such that would never have even thought of buying Sonos to just play music that is contained on their phones, in one room.

And if Sonos had equipped the play 1 with either bluetooth or, even better, a line in jack at that time, it would have sold in even larger numbers, would have coped a lot better with the Echo based paradigm shifts, and the withdrawal of this feature now would have been far less painful to those affected. The wisdom of hindsight.
And to those putting down people using their phones to play music, why shouldn’t they use their phones however they want.
No one is saying you should not or even putting you down for it. But if that is the only way you play music, and even more so if you do so in just one room at a time, Sonos was never the right product for you.

No; I refer to the line in jacks for audio signals of the kind that only play5/Connect/Connect Amp have. The kind that will work even after the feature is deleted, when the phone is wire connected from its headphone jack to it. Or, via bluetooth, if a bluetooth receiver like Echo Dot, is wired to it.

It seems to me that inadvertently or otherwise, Sonos set the ball rolling on this issue when they launched the play 1 unit that sold in very large numbers, to a very different customer profile than prior to its launch. Before the play 1 proliferation, the customer profile was such that would never have even thought of buying Sonos to just play music that is contained on their phones, in one room.

And if Sonos had equipped the play 1 with either bluetooth or, even better, a line in jack at that time, it would have sold in even larger numbers, would have coped a lot better with the Echo based paradigm shifts, and the withdrawal of this feature now would have been far less painful to those affected. The wisdom of hindsight.

Oh, well, bummer for me then.

But thank you, again, for the help. 🙏

And to those putting down people using their phones to play music, why shouldn’t they use their phones however they want.No one is saying you should not or even putting you down for it. But if that is the only way you play music, and even more so if you do so in just one room at a time, Sonos was never the right product for you.

Actually, @chicks was. Perhaps I’m overly sensitive, but I don’t see either of it’s below comments as anything other than an attempt to put people down and feel superior.

Apparently there are folks in this thread who believe Sonos would remove a feature just to piss them off. Seriously? Laughable.

Hard to believe that, in 2019, people are STILL using their phones as a primary music store. I doubt it's a lot of people, but they are a bit noisy.”

and, again, you @Kumar, along with a couple of other people who I did not initially appreciate (@jgatie and @John B ) have been helpful to me and I really do appreciate all of your time.
@RipStop, any newer Sonos player will be able to group with a Playbar to bring AirPlay 2(keep in mind, this would be as a separate room in the Sonos app, not bonded as surrounds). This includes SYMFONISK lamp and shelf speakers. For the best functionality, more than the "On this iPhone" had even, a NAS drive or computer share is the best option.

Ryan,
Thanks for the suggestion, but my preference would be to buy some type of device that wasn’t a speaker, but would have the same functionality as what you described (group that to my Playbar for Airplay 2). I don’t have the need nor the space to put another speaker in that room but I need the Airplay functionality if Sonos is to take the subject functionality away. Seems like a product opportunity to extend the investment many of us have made in the Playbar.

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
I've had my Sonos for years and absolutely loved the "from my iphone" feature.
I don't have any streaming services and I don't have a ready NAS but it looks like Sonos are forcing me to drag myself into the 21st Century and spend more money if i want to continue using my products in the way that I have in the past.
What irritates me most is the fact that I just wasted several hours of my life, spread over several days, trying to figure out why this function had stopped working. I would be less irritated if the app simply said "Sorry, but this function is no longer available due to incompatability with the latest ios version. it will continue to work if you do not update the app but then Sonos will no longer support the app. Please visit our on-line forum here: (link inserted) for more information" or something along those lines instead of some technical error message which only those with more knowledge than the average user will understand.
Rant over.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I've had my Sonos for years and absolutely loved the "from my iphone" feature.
I don't have any streaming services and I don't have a ready NAS but it looks like Sonos are forcing me to drag myself into the 21st Century and spend more money if i want to continue using my products in the way that I have in the past.
What irritates me most is the fact that I just wasted several hours of my life, spread over several days, trying to figure out why this function had stopped working. I would be less irritated if the app simply said "Sorry, but this function is no longer available due to incompatability with the latest ios version. it will continue to work if you do not update the app but then Sonos will no longer support the app. Please visit our on-line forum here: (link inserted) for more information" or something along those lines instead of some technical error message which only those with more knowledge than the average user will understand.
Rant over.

Exactly.
I listen to music that isn’t popular. I uploaded music to my phone so I can hear it in the car and also at home on Sonos. Why do I have to be put out now! Might just sell the bloody things. Buy a set that uses Bluetooth
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Rant over.

I think the announcement said the capability will be removed, not has been removed? You should still be able to use it for now, so you may have a different problem on your system.