Trueplay Tuning now available with iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9396 replies
The testing on these devices microphones is now complete and as of now you can use the Sonos app on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to tune your Sonos players with Trueplay. You don't need to make any special update, this feature is now available on all the devices here that are updated to Sonos version 7.0.

Also, with version 7.0 we added support for home theater tuning. So you can now tune your PLAYBARs too.

To learn more about Trueplay take a look here.

31 replies

Outstanding. Thank you, Ryan and team.
Thanks Sonos!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
thank you!!
Badge +1
Good work
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ryan S wrote:

The testing on these devices microphones is now complete and as of now you can use the Sonos app on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to tune your Sonos players with Trueplay.

Also, with version 7.0 we added support for home theater tuning. So you can now tune your PLAYBARs too.

To learn more about Trueplay take a look here.

Ryan,

Is there a difference in the accuracy of the tuning between iPhone models? Will tuning with an iPhone 7 yield better results than the iPhone 5? If so I would like to re-tune my Sonos systems
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Cazualchatter wrote:

Ryan,

Is there a difference in the accuracy of the tuning between iPhone models? Will tuning with an iPhone 7 yield better results than the iPhone 5? If so I would like to re-tune my Sonos systems

There shouldn't be a difference between tuning from one type to the next. The majority of our testing is to pin down a baseline of the microphone readings. The tuning needs to know what the microphone picks up in general before we can make corrections.

That said, if one of your devices has too much lint in the microphone port, or a case you didn't want to take off, it could be slightly different either better or worse than another device. Just like there are other things that affect tuning, such as having a couple extra people in the room at the time, or the furniture in the wrong places.

My suggestion, try it a couple times, use a different device, play around with it. When you find a tuning that sounds great to you, don't worry about it. If it sounds great, it's perfect.
Badge
TruePlay Tuning no lonwork works on any iPhone that has been upgraded to iOS 11
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sonos has not updated the app for iOS 11. When that is released, you should expect to see the functionality brought back online.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
iOS 11 was introduced at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address on June 5, 2017, with the first developer beta released after the keynote presentation. That’s over 3 months ago.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
testcard wrote:

iOS 11 was introduced at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address on June 5, 2017, with the first developer beta released after the keynote presentation. That’s over 3 months ago.

And your point is what? Sonos were given the new phones to test frequency responses in June? Do you know something Sonos doesn’t? It’s fairly easy when you apply thinking.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Yeah, if you're only concerned with complaining about the app refresh time, I can't help you. I've posted elsewhere in the community in more depth, but if you're looking for something useful then:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/which-apps-wont-work-in-ios-11-3660434/

That article explains how to tell what apps will work after you upgrade.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
That article refers to 32-bit apps. Sonos is 64-bit. If it wasn’t, it would have disappeared after installing iOS 11. Apple have been flagging up the fact that 32-bit apps won’t work on iOS 11 for some time now.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
testcard wrote:

Been waiting on Android support for years, but they always jump for new Apple gear.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
RO53BEN wrote:

testcard wrote:

Been waiting on Android support for years, but they always jump for new Apple gear.

Somewhat disingenuous this statement.

Android isn't the problem - In fact I'm quite sure the software works on Android. The issue is, as Sonos have told us, that the sheer number of different microphones has made ensuring the correct sonic calibration impossible. this is not, howsoever much you'd wish it so, a trivial problem.
Stuart_W wrote:

The issue is, as Sonos have told us, that the sheer number of different microphones has made ensuring the correct sonic calibration impossible.

Though absolutely correct, TruePlay support would certainly be appreciated at least for the most common market-leading Android smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S model range.
passopp wrote:

Though absolutely correct, TruePlay support would certainly be appreciated at least for the most common market-leading Android smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S model range.

Even that would prove a challenge since Samsung's Galaxys are manufactured in China, Korea and Vietnam resp. Which implies three different microphon arrays incorporated in a single device range, e.g. the Galaxy S8 models.
It's not really a challenge to buy a couple of phones or borrow them for the time it needs to test the mic dynamics (it's not like Sonos is lacking the capital to do so). It's lack of interest, really. I do not blame Sonos for not putting the time and effort in it though. Their priorities are obviously with other topics.
passopp wrote:

[...] It's lack of interest, really. I do not blame Sonos for not putting the time and effort in it though.

And you know that for sure because you once were part of that specific team? Otherwise you just venture a guess.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
passopp wrote:

It's not really a challenge to buy a couple of phones or borrow them for the time it needs to test the mic dynamics (it's not like Sonos is lacking the capital to do so). It's lack of interest, really. I do not blame Sonos for not putting the time and effort in it though. Their priorities are obviously with other topics.

Absolute rot. It's not "a couple of phones". To make statistically significant trials Sonos would need at least 30 phones and as Smija says that would mean 90 as a bare minimum just for 1 model of phone!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Stuart_W wrote:

passopp wrote:

Absolute rot. It's not "a couple of phones". To make statistically significant trials Sonos would need at least 30 phones and as Smija says that would mean 90 as a bare minimum just for 1 model of phone!

You know what really irritates about these posts?

It's the idea that Sonos would deliberately alienate Android users for spurious reasons other than purely logistical. Don't people realise that Sonos would much rather not have features that only work on a proportion of mobile devices? Why would Sonos deliberately limit the reach of what was a significant change to the functionality of their system and cheese off those using Android to boot? It is completely nonsensical. By all means complain about the situation and extol Sonos to change things but don't make up ridiculous stories.
Stuart_W wrote:

Just out of curiosity, according to your formular, how many iPhones exactly would be required for appropriate testing with every new model release? :8

Again, if TruePlay would be a definite sought-after feature in terms of sales numbers I'd be confident to say that Sonos were to invest the same amount of effort into achieving TruePlay compatibility for a limited number of Android devices, just as they did for iOS products.

But it isn't a definite sales driver. It is a nice and convenient software add-on for tuning your Sonos players and that is what is was meant to be in the first place. No customer is choosing a Sonos player over any of their competitors because of this particular feature alone. So there is simply no logical reason for Sonos to invest as much, or even more, time and money in bringing TruePlay to Android than it took them to bring it to iOS.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
What I love about this forum is that the slightest hint of criticism of Sonos brings out the torch and pitchfork crowd, red-faced and foaming at the mouth. Keep it up guys, it brightens up my day. :D
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
passopp wrote:

Stuart_W wrote:

Just out of curiosity, according to your formular, how many iPhones exactly would be required for appropriate testing with every new model release? :8

Again, if TruePlay would be a definite sought-after feature in terms of sales numbers I'd be confident to say that Sonos were to invest the same amount of effort into achieving TruePlay compatibility for a limited number of Android devices, just as they did for iOS products.

But it isn't a definite sales driver. It is a nice and convenient software add-on for tuning your Sonos players and that is what is was meant to be in the first place. No customer is choosing a Sonos player over any of their competitors because of this particular feature alone. So there is simply no logical reason for Sonos to invest as much, or even more, time and money in bringing TruePlay to Android than it took them to bring it to iOS.

They'd need a minimum of 30 phones from each supplier of microphones for each model. But as you know there is only one manufacture of iPhones whilst there are hundred (?) for the Android devices with an unknown number of microphone suppliers
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
testcard wrote:

What I love about this forum is that the slightest hint of criticism of Sonos brings out the torch and pitchfork crowd, red-faced and foaming at the mouth. Keep it up guys, it brightens up my day. :D

I think you're confusing criticism of a posters nonsense with defence of Sonos. I've only repeated what they told us and made no judgment as to whether or not it's a good thing.
Stuart_W wrote:

They'd need a minimum of 30 phones from each supplier of microphones for each model. But as you know there is only one manufacture of iPhones whilst there are hundred (?) for the Android devices with an unknown number of microphone suppliers

And again, I did not refer to the hundreds of different Android devices on the market. I chose the Galaxy S range as an example for the above mentioned reasons. It's a high-end smartphone model by an established market-leading manufacturer. You did not see me referring to Xiaomi, Elefone or God forbid, Motorola. Not by all means. ;)

My comment stands. If Sonos were interested in presenting TruePlay for a number of top-shelf Android devices, just to show that they think it's worth it and prove they believe TruePlay to be an essential piece of technology for ALL of their customer base, they would have done so a long time ago. They didn't. There - simply - is - no - interest.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)