The new Sonos PLAY:5 now available for pre-order

• 29 October 2015
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We're happy to announce that the new Sonos PLAY:5 is now available for pre-order:

http://www.sonos.com/shop/play5

Here's a brand-new video that gives you a peek behind the scenes at what's gone into making it:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Nice. I'll seriously consider adding it to my current Sonos setup as soon as they realise that the audiophiles their products are aimed at are capable of handling EQ settings with more than two controls.
I think the point of Trueplay is that you no longer need eq. Still, nice bit of pass-agg, well done you...
Anyway, if you're only spending 500 quid on a speaker you are clearly NOT an audiophile!
Userlevel 1
Badge
£429 in the UK - £326 in the US. Grrr.
That won't include sales tax on the US price, it's probably closer to £390 after tax, state depending.

Cracking review from What Hi-fi this morning!
I see that it will be available only from Nov 20/25th. I was hoping to check out Trueplay before then.
Badge +1
I pre-ordered one. Next to sound quality I am curious to experience at the end of the month, whether the WLAN performance and/or antenna quality improved. So far in all reviews I red, there is plenty of judgment on the sound quality but non on the WLAN performance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I see that it will be available only from Nov 20/25th. I was hoping to check out Trueplay before then.

Version 6.0 (with Trueplay) must be released before then as its in all the marketing blurb for Play: 6 5.
It doesn't have to be before then, it may be on the day of release, we've seen that before.
I pre-ordered one. Next to sound quality I am curious to experience at the end of the month, whether the WLAN performance and/or antenna quality improved. So far in all reviews I red, there is plenty of judgment on the sound quality but non on the WLAN performance.

I'm puzzled, what is it you expect a review to say about it? I wasn't aware there was any particular issue with the wireless performance?
in all reviews I red, there is plenty of judgment on the sound quality but non on the WLAN performance.
The WiFi performance is claimed to be the best of any unit released till now. It isn't easy to review the outcome of that improvement because what that translates into at your home depends on many unique factors ranging from the nature of your house construction, to how busy the WiFi environment you have around you, and other things like where you place the unit with respect to the Boost or router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Put in my pre-order for a Black one.
A balanced review on Engadget as well. A quote from it about a neat feature from the speakers in stereo pair mode:
"I generally listen to music alone, the vertical arrangement makes the most sense for me. But it's really useful to have the option to just flip the Play:5s on their sides, have the speakers detect that and let them modify their output to play music to a larger group of people."

The ability to change the width/nature of the stereo sweet spot isn't something that is offered by any other speaker pair I know.

The ability to change the width/nature of the stereo sweet spot isn't something that is offered by any other speaker pair I know.

The AR2A, from decades ago, was designed to be horizontally oriented. It was even available with one of the long sides unfinished. Most people orient them vertically these days. Those cross-firing mids will give great dispersion if correctly oriented, I imagine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually the play:3s do it ...not sure at same level of sophistication
I they play:3 just changes from pseudo-stereo to true mono when sat on its side.
"I think the play:3" idiot phone...

The AR2A, from decades ago, was designed to be horizontally oriented. It was even available with one of the long sides unfinished. Most people orient them vertically these days. Those cross-firing mids will give great dispersion if correctly oriented, I imagine.

I don't know these, but did the dispersion pattern change based on orientation? That is what the 5 units are said to do, resulting in a narrow but focused sweet spot from a pair suitable for solo listening or a more spread out one when more people are required to be addressed - by moving from vertical to horizontal.
I don't think the play 3's have any such trick in paired mode, they just become mono when vertical but I doubt that the change is noticeable beyond a few feet from the unit.
Just saying That the dispersion pattern will definitely change with orientation, though it's obviously not controlled with sensors or DSP on the ARs. You should know AR. They invented the dome tweeter and acoustic suspension, both of which Sonos use today. 😉
Got it:-).

I suspect the permanent orientation of the AR tweeters to achieve the horizontal position spread will result in sub optimal results in vertical mode - in the absence of sensor triggered and DSP driven driver management that the 5 can do.
Are the new Play 5's shipping out *on* the 20th in the US, or are they shipping out a day or two ahead so as to ARRIVE on the 20th?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I ordered mine as soon as preorders came open and it has shipped already. So I assume they have started shipping already in progression as when ordered.
I ordered mine as soon as preorders came open and it has shipped already. So I assume they have started shipping already in progression as when ordered.

Awesome! Has yours already arrived or is it in transit?