Spotify New Features in v5.4 Beta

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11514 replies
We’re happy to announce some exciting new features for Spotify on Sonos. We've been working closely with Spotify to enhance the Spotify experience on Sonos. Live in beta starting today, Sonos owners with Android devices can sign up for beta and find the following new features on Spotify within Sonos:

• Spotify Radio: Now you can create radio stations based on a particular track or artist and discover even more music to love.
  • Featured Playlists: Discover dynamic curated playlists that change based on the time of day, as well as region-based playlists with the hottest trending music.
  • Your Music: Build your music library directly from the Sonos controller with access to your curated playlists and songs. (Note: this release doesn't include Albums as part of Your Music)
  • Genres & Moods: Feeling down? Want to party? Need to chill out? Spotify makes it easy with curated genre and mood-based playlists.
  • New Releases:  Tons of new music is added to Spotify every single day --- all with high quality sound that you can only find on Sonos.
Find out more about Spotify new features on Sonos here.

Join the public Android, Windows PC and Mac beta to test out the new features, by following the directions here. The iOS version will be available when the beta test of the new Spotify features is completed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@Sonos - As of 4 days ago the Spotify web-api was adapted to also return a users 'Saved Albums' from the web-api. This should allow Sonos to add Albums also into the Sonos app under 'Your Music'. Please see https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/get-users-saved-albums/

Still no progress yet on Artists though
if/when can we expect to see 'Albums' and 'Artists' added to 'Your Music' ?
What about 'Radio' by Genre and Recommended Stations ?

+1
Exactly
The music directory is undrinkable when you have too many favorite artists
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
if/when can we expect to see 'Albums' and 'Artists' added to 'Your Music' ?
What about 'Radio' by Genre and Recommended Stations ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I don't see that anywhere even after restarting the PC controller?
Does the SONOS ID you see in File/SONOS > About My SONOS System match the SONOS id found on http://sonos.com/myaccount ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is strange. Do you have an android device you can try and get beta on. Sometimes your account online and your system have different deviceids from a reinstall. Your system must not be flagged for the beta. I would go under hell and submit a diagnostic and post the diagnostic number here or call sonos with so they can get your account setup properly.
I waited overnight but still don't see any link to update to the 5.4 Spotify release in the PC controller.  The PC controller version I have is Version: 5.4 (build 29591030).  What do I need to do to be able to update to the Beta?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is kinda a 5.4.1 where there is a 5.4+spotify in beta. You won't find a PC link. Once signed up for beta and you go in the current PC version at the top of music selection panel you should see an update now icon to update the PC version. If not showing you can run the check for updates
I am thoroughly confused regarding what is going on with the 5.4 update.  I have updated my iphone and ipad sonos controllers as well as my PC controller to the latest update.  I don't see any Spotify radio integration anywhere.  I just signed up for the 5.4 Beta but the only thing I see under the link for Beta is the Android update.  No Beta link for the PC controller.  Is there a way for me to install the Beta link for the PC controller so I can run Spotify radio?  Or am I screwed because I already updated to the "official" 5.4 release?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great update but...all my folders made in Spotify are gone. All songs and albums in these folders are put together in one long list.
No. If you remove yourself from the beta you will roll back to the current release ...which does not have the changes.
Great update but...all my folders made in Spotify are gone. All songs and albums in these folders are put together in one long list.
You can't do that once you've updated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A reason it is still in beta. If you lost a feature you need remove yourself from beta and return to the older version of spotify integration.
SONOS You should update this thread with 5.5 version then because some features listed here are still in beta. Any hope for more graceful sleep options?
Thanks for the explanation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
SONOS You should update this thread with 5.5 version then because some features listed here are still in beta. Any hope for more graceful sleep options?
Great question Duncan. The iOS controller can still access these features, but mismatched versions have limited settings. For example, you might not be able to use that controller to remove Spotify or re-authorize the account. When 5.4 was entirely in beta, the iOS controller would still show 5.3.2 while the rest would be at 5.4.
If the spotify features are still on Beta, and not included in the 5.4 release, how come I have access to them on the iPad controller when iOS was not included in the Beta?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Though 5.4 was just released, the Spotify changes weren't included in it. They're still in a public beta which will continue to show up as 5.4. I'll see about editing the post above to be more clear.

Thanks for the callout.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Just updated to 5.4 on my iOS devices - no spotify radio, am I missing something?
Managed to sort this now, and have access to Spotify radio on the PC,. Bizarrely, I also now seem to have access to Spotify track and Artist Radion on my iPad controller too. #happyman
Just updated to 5.4 on my iOS devices - no spotify radio, am I missing something?
Thanks,I have now logged into that account and registered for the beta,but still no option to upgrade when I go into the app
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, the system is under a different email address. Your players are registered under the address starting with your full first name, not the initials. If you're unable to log in there let me know and we'll look into it for you.
done that, conf no is 4721105
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Duncan,

The Spotify updates are still in public beta for Android, Mac and Windows PC. You can test them through the beta program. You'll need to log into the website using the email address your Sonos system is registered to. This email is showing up as public beta but there doesn't seem to be much of an active system registered to it. You might be registered to a different email address.

If you'd like to send a diagnostic from there and give us the confirmation number I'll check the registration for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
did you "check for updates" under menu

No inside information here but I think they went final with it to get the ios version fix out for iTunes.   I think they went ahead of schedule to get that out and so left the work in process of Spotify out of the final.  Personally - I normally would say a while until next full release but I'm thinking end of month on this one (which would be a lot faster pace then normal between cycles).
No Update now icon, and I have just had an email saying that the 5.4 beta is now complete. Do you have any indication when they are planning to release the enhanced spotify features on the live system, or if there is a way i can get at them in beta. i relly would like to try them out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ONce you sign up for beta..go into the PC app and it should have an update now icon at the top of the music selection screen.