Spotify New Features in v5.4 Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 2
Luckily i'm part of the one percent who appreciate the sonos update. I do NOT want to control my sonos from the spotify app. Thank you.
Please help me understand...
Luckily i'm part of the one percent who appreciate the sonos update. I do NOT want to control my sonos from the spotify app. Thank you.
What's not to understand?  Some people prefer one user interface to access all their music, instead of jumping from one app UI to another.  I personally would much rather play radio, my library, GPM, Sirius, etc., from a single app rather than switch between the TuneIn, GPM, Sirius, etc. apps every time I want to hear something different.  Universal search is much better that way too.
Ultimately, I agree with this ... Issue is that this, ahem, 'improvement' has made it harder for me to play my Spotify 'collection' via Sonos ... It's worse than it was before and a missed opportunity ... Then again, maybe music fans doing actually listen to stuff by Artist / Album these days? < this is sarcasm!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How have spotify integration improvement in this version detracted from your use. What was taken away?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This is one of the many times where I'm completely backing Jgatie's points - I prefer to use Universal Search, as I listen to artists who may have released their new song on Google Play Music or may have released it on Soundcloud. I don't want to have to search the Google Play Music app and say "Oh... It's not there" and then search Soundcloud or vice versa.

It might come down to the fact that I'm more of a person who picks a song/album/artists in the moment rather than one who prefers to compile playlists and so I don't care for 'My Library' features when others do.
The ability to use nested folders in the desktop Spotify app to sort playlists and have that folder structure replicated in Sonos. This was one of my work arounds for the poor artist / album approach ... I manually created playlists for albums. Nested folders no longer replicate in Sonos.
Userlevel 1
I agree with this statement... I miss the folders alot but i'm confident that this feature Will be back soon! It's worth being witout folders for a while while getting artist radio and other features!
Userlevel 2
I still disagree. It's a matter of optionality. If a Sonos user wants to continue using the Sonos app, great. I personally don't have much use for several music services. I just want the option to be able to play my music from Spotify directly. And to complement Mark's comment: it's not only nested folders, it's a bunch of features that are still not available (like Facebook, third party apps in Spotify, related artists). Are those going to available at all? When? This incidental update approach just feels like Sonos and Spotify have to reinvent the Spotify app one feature at a time.
Userlevel 1
In my version at least related artists can be found. For me, in spotify, I want my music (I miss folders!), radio, curated playlists, predefined playlists and discover. Most of these features are there now. And sonos says this is just the beginning. For m, these are great enhancements and i'm confident more will come. If you prefer to play music from the spotify app, I suggest you buy an AirPlay unit or something similar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hello I am SO PLEASED with the new Spotify features - thank you so much. I have a couple of issues/suggestions: - no scrub bar in tracks when playing radio. This is allowed within Spotify and would useful also in Sonos to advance within a track. - in Spotify there is a tick to indicate if the current playing track is in 'your Library'. This should be added in sonos along with the ability to save to library from the Now Playing screen (tick / untick) - add Artist and Album within 'your music' Of course there are plenty of other features too still missing but the above ones would be the next 'quick wins' for me. Was a long time coming but thanks again and keep up the good work.
Great update but...all my folders made in Spotify are gone. All songs and albums in these folders are put together in one long list.
Quick correction, Ryan: removing an important feature is not a "new feature."
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Is there anywhere that explains exactly why Sonos is against Spotify connect ? Many other devices have no problems using this to access their audio equipment . I'm just very curious as to why they have such a problem integrating Spotify connect. Many people who are unfamiliar with Sonos find it very comfortable using the app they are already familiar with. I'm just wondering what is the big deal? Either support Spotify correctly as they intend or drop it as a available music provider. Instead it's half assed. I find most Spotify users who have Sonos don't like the integration in its current form. Many people I encounter who are not familiar with Sonos but Spotify I recommend Heos by Denon for them as I'm sure they can benefit by the simplicity of use and familiarity of their Spotify app. It's also a benefit that there is substantially more output forever available from the amplifiers. I'd really like to know what is the problem using Spotify connect? Is it a design limitation of Sonos ? Or is just Sonos way or the highway , take it or leave it ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No one knows. It has been discussed at length on the spotify connect thread here https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/su... and also here
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.ph...

Sonos has never given a straight answer but I have to say I'm very pleased with the giant step in integration in this beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Is there anywhere that explains exactly why Sonos is against Spotify connect ? Many other devices have no problems using this to access their audio equipment . I'm just very curious as to why they have such a problem integrating Spotify connect. Many people who are unfamiliar with Sonos find it very comfortable using the app they are already familiar with. I'm just wondering what is the big deal? Either support Spotify correctly as they intend or drop it as a available music provider. Instead it's half assed. I find most Spotify users who have Sonos don't like the integration in its current form. Many people I encounter who are not familiar with Sonos but Spotify I recommend Heos by Denon for them as I'm sure they can benefit by the simplicity of use and familiarity of their Spotify app. It's also a benefit that there is substantially more output forever available from the amplifiers. I'd really like to know what is the problem using Spotify connect? Is it a design limitation of Sonos ? Or is just Sonos way or the highway , take it or leave it ?
No one knows. It has been discussed at length on the spotify connect thread here https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/su... and also here

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.ph...

Sonos has never given a straight answer but I have to say I'm very pleased with the giant step forward in integration in this beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As Nick mentions there is a thread for those still wanting spotify connect. Please keep this on topic of 5.4 improvement as wish list items in the integrated app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks for the response guys. They have made some solid steps forward. Guess I'll check it out and see for myself when it's released. All the best
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a public beta on android and windows/mac desktops available now.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Probably part of the problem was that there for a long time was no API from Spotify to access things like radio. But for a while now there has been the Web API from Spotify, and it looks like Sonos finally has started to use that API instead of the old libspotify wrapper. So, a prediction based on really nothing - it will not take Sonos 2 years to support the "next" cool Spotify thing, whatever that may be. As long as Spotify makes it available through it's Web API of course... 🙂 Of course, having Spotify Connect as an option as well wouldn't hurt, but this is a very good first step from Sonos.
Userlevel 2
One really annoying issue with the Spotify updates on Android. When playing the 'Starred' playlist, Sonos now plays the list in reverse order, with the oldest tracks first........ Why the change? This behaviour is now inconsistent with the behaviour in Spotify itself, which surely isn't a good idea? There is also an issue with adding tracks to the starred playlist. Tracks added to playlists within Spotify since upgrading to the latest beta release don't show in the playlists through Sonos...........
Userlevel 2
Dear SONOS and Spotify

Thanks. We got heard ! ! ! Now it is official. Spotify Radio (and other stuff) comes for SONOS.

Out in BETA for Android now, so it is only a question of time before we all can benefit.

Think the rest of "missing functions" will come now the bag is opened.

Thanks SONOS and Spotify. I am glad i stayed at Spotify. And i am glad i did not trade in my SONOS for HEOS.

Best regards

Poul Erik
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
stop,stop......Radio is not coming to Sonos, not yet.
it's not in this beta version
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Spotify Artist Radio is included in the beta version for 5.4. Are you having trouble getting on the beta? Or have any questions we can help with?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don't have acces to radio, sorry
Other stuff like moods and styles works fine.
Is there a tap called "Radio" or something???
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You can access the Radio by searching for an artist, then selecting the top option to start "Radio" for that artist. Let us know if you don't see that option.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thx, that option i found, but that's for artist radio.
In the Spotify app you can choose for ''commen" radio.
You get an verity of artist depend on genre.