Spotify New Features in v5.4 Beta

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11622 replies
We’re happy to announce some exciting new features for Spotify on Sonos. We've been working closely with Spotify to enhance the Spotify experience on Sonos. Live in beta starting today, Sonos owners with Android devices can sign up for beta and find the following new features on Spotify within Sonos:

• Spotify Radio: Now you can create radio stations based on a particular track or artist and discover even more music to love.
  • Featured Playlists: Discover dynamic curated playlists that change based on the time of day, as well as region-based playlists with the hottest trending music.
  • Your Music: Build your music library directly from the Sonos controller with access to your curated playlists and songs. (Note: this release doesn't include Albums as part of Your Music)
  • Genres & Moods: Feeling down? Want to party? Need to chill out? Spotify makes it easy with curated genre and mood-based playlists.
  • New Releases:  Tons of new music is added to Spotify every single day --- all with high quality sound that you can only find on Sonos.
Find out more about Spotify new features on Sonos here.

Join the public Android, Windows PC and Mac beta to test out the new features, by following the directions here. The iOS version will be available when the beta test of the new Spotify features is completed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Great news for spotify users!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Awesome!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Love it. At last.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Great update but...all my folders made in Spotify are gone. All songs and albums in these folders are put together in one long list.
Without Artist & Album navigation this gives me nothing ... I hope its coming soon otherwise its a wasted opportunity and I still need to manually create albums as playlists in Spotify to be able to browse them in Sonos.  Even Tidal got this right first time!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great update but...all my folders made in Spotify are gone. All songs and albums in these folders are put together in one long list.
The new features in beta with Spotify are more closely associated to the official Spotify web player, which has the same behavior around playlist folders. I'll pass the feedback on for you to the right team regarding the changes.
I hadn't spotted that and it makes the 'update' a backward step as I had manually created a nested folder structure in Spotify to get over the crappy Sonos navigation ... now that's gone!  It was bad before, its worse now!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
THX Ryan
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Without Artist &
@Mark, you should send us your feedback on the beta Spotify features here. We're working closely with Spotify to develop the best possible experience on Sonos now and into the future.
Without Artist &
Ryan, done!  ... #150618-001369 for info.
Nearly 90% of all songs starred are gone in my Playlist. Albums are missing. Artists in My Music too. No good. And folders in Playlists are gone. Plus: I can't add songs to starred. A bummer as My Songs is worthless because it's mixed with every song on an album I saved in My Music. Sorry guys but this is a mess and it's the first time I want an AirPlay solution instead of a 3000 Euro system.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Nearly 90% of all songs starred are gone in my Playlist. Albums are missing. Artists in My Music too. No good. And folders in Playlists are gone. Plus: I can't add songs to starred. A bummer as My Songs is worthless because it's mixed with every song on an album I saved in My Music. Sorry guys but this is a mess and it's the first time I want an AirPlay solution instead of a 3000 Euro system.
You should send your feedback to SONOS about this. Hopefully It will be fixed sometime in the future.
Badge
Great news with the Spotify improvments. Sadly my CR200 won't update, and is now useless. Gone slow and buggy and won't Connect to any of my services. Hoping for a quick fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great news with the Spotify improvments. Sadly my CR200 won't update, and is now useless. Gone slow and buggy and won't Connect to any of my services. Hoping for a quick fix.
Jesper, can you check for updates again to make sure you get the correct version for the software. If you're still having trouble, can you send in some feedback through the beta form here?

Thanks 
Badge
After a Full reboot of All my Sonos and network, my system is working again. But i can't update my CR200, keep getting errorcode 1101, and I am pretty shure my internet is working fine. I'm stuck on Version 5.4(29490090), and All my other Sonos is on Version 5.4(29590161)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The build should be 29590161 for the CR200, sometimes different devices will have different builds. Try updating again, and if it doesn't work, would you mind sending a diagnostic and giving me the confirmation number? I'll take a look for you. 
No Spotify connectivity from my Sonos system anymore ...
Badge
I gave it another try this morning, and this time it went flawless. All is now updated.
Userlevel 1
Fantastic news! Good work, looking forward to even closer integration, with artists/albums, playlist folders, pre-defined radio channels and the discover feature!!
Why do you write "The iOS version will be available when Sonos 5.4 is fully released." in the announcement?! It's already included in the iOS 5.4 beta which was released yesterday.

That's a really great enhancement. I would like to see albums as well, but it sounds like that it is on your roadmap.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Why do you write "The iOS version will be available when Sonos 5.4 is fully released." in the announcement?! It's already included in the iOS 5.4 beta which was released yesterday.

That's a really great enhancement. I would like to see albums as well, but it sounds like that it is on your roadmap.

MacStar could you just tell me what shows next to 'Version' in 'About My SONOS system' on the iOS app. Ryan S. said that because the iOS app version Should still be 5.3.2 even when you're enrolled in the 5.4 public beta.

Also, are you able to change room settings/service settings?
Userlevel 2
Very dissapointed in Sonos´ approach to "ímprove" the Spotify experience. I´m also very disappointed that Sonos users are excited about this update and encouraging Sonos to continue down this path. From poring over Spotify-related posts, there is no doubt 99% of Spotify users do not want gradual integration of features into the Sonos app. What we want is to play music on our Sonos system directly from the Spotify app. However it is clear Sonos is doubling down on the Sonos app and is looking to "improve it" gradually. The way this is going, we (the Sonos users), are going to always be 2 years behind the Spotify app in functionality anfd features - the time it takes Sonos to work with Spotify to upgrade the Sonos app. How long ago did Spotify radio launch? When are other features (Facebook integration anyone?) coming out? Why is this gradual and not full blown integration?

Why invest in app upgrades that nobody wants? Just open the system to 3rd party apps. If you opened it to Google, you can certainly open it to Spotify.

I´m happy I only have two Sonos speakers (limited sunk cost) and can still go Airplay, now that Bose, Samsung and Devon are all in the multi-room wireless market.
Userlevel 1
Luckily i'm part of the one percent who appreciate the sonos update. I do NOT want to control my sonos from the spotify app. Thank you.
Userlevel 2
Luckily i'm part of the one percent who appreciate the sonos update. I do NOT want to control my sonos from the spotify app. Thank you.
Please help me understand...
What's not to understand?  Some people prefer one user interface to access all their music, instead of jumping from one app UI to another.  I personally would much rather play radio, my library, GPM, Sirius, etc., from a single app rather than switch between the TuneIn, GPM, Sirius, etc. apps every time I want to hear something different.  Universal search is much better that way too.