Sonos Welcomes the Google Assistant

Related products: Partner News
Sonos Welcomes the Google Assistant
Sonos 10.2 brings the Google Assistant to Sonos. Your Sonos One and Sonos Beam, once updated, will have the Google Assistant built-in, bringing a new voice to your home. With this update, you can now link your Google Assistant enabled devices to control Sonos hands free with the Google Assistant.

Control your music, get answers to questions, manage everyday tasks, and more— simply by using your voice. Find out more about the Google Assistant with Sonos on our website here and on our blog, “12 Ways the Google Assistant Will Enhance Your Sonos Listening Experience”..

The Google Assistant is available on Sonos starting with the US only, with expanded availability this year. As of July 2nd, 2019, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom now have support for Google Assistant on Sonos.

To get started, check out our setup pages for controlling Sonos with Google Home devices or adding the Google Assistant to a Beam or One. The directions are below as well.

Once you’ve got it set up, try out some basic commands with “Hey Google…” or “Ok Google…”

“Hey Google, play my morning news.”

“Hey Google, play some music in the Living Room.”

“Hey Google, turn it up.”

The Google Assistant can control basic playback, such as skipping or pausing music on Sonos, and can start music from Deezer, Google Play Music, Pandora, Spotify, and YouTube Music.

With the Google Assistant on Sonos you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. You’ll also be able to use features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time.

We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software updates.

We have a pretty comprehensive list here of basic commands, but there are always more to discover.

Setting Up Google Assistant

Enhance your Sonos experience with the Google Assistant by adding it to the Sonos One and Beam or by linking your Google Home devices to Sonos.

Adding the Google Assistant to Sonos One and Beam

To add the Google Assistant to the Sonos One or Beam, go into your Sonos App (on iOS or Android) and tap on More > Room Settings > Voice Services and you can select the Google Assistant to be added. Please note that you can only have one voice service added to a Sonos player at one time, however multiple voice services can be used on the same household if you have more than one compatible device.

Set up Google Home to control Sonos

If you don’t have any voice-enabled Sonos speakers in your system, you can still set up Google Assistant to control Sonos through a Google Home or other Google Assistant-enabled device.

In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, tap the More tab at the bottom, then tap Voice Services. Choose Google Assistant from the list. This will take you to the Google Assistant app, where you’ll sign in to your Sonos account.

Once you’ve connected your Sonos account, check to make sure you’ve added your music service accounts in the Google Assistant app by tapping your profile icon at the top right, then choosing Services > Music. You can also set your default service from this menu.

To learn more about how you can control Sonos with Google Assistant, see our article, Sonos with Google Assistant.

If you run into any trouble, there are some helpful tips and tricks here and on our community here to start with.

When will Google Assistance be available for Malaysia Users?

I don't have specific details on Malaysia support, but I'll make sure to let the team know you're looking for it! Thanks for asking.
How do I control my Sonos Connect and amp through Google Assistant? I tried asking Google to turn on my Connect and it simply said power controls not available. All my amps and connects appear in my Google Home page, but can’t do anything with them.
When will GA be available for users in Denmark?
How do I control my Sonos Connect and amp through Google Assistant? I tried asking Google to turn on my Connect and it simply said power controls not available. All my amps and connects appear in my Google Home page, but can’t do anything with them.

In summary, you need to install the Sonos device/card (skill) in the Google Assistant/Home App and let it scan and find your Sonos devices and then set a default 'premium' subscription music service such as Spotify, YouTube Music, or Deezer etc.

The same music service account needs to be installed as a service in the Sonos App and then you can control music playback on your Sonos devices with the Google Assistant voice service.

The voice service can be installed on the Sonos One (gen 1 or 2) and/or the Beam via the latest Sonos App (settings), or you can go onto use other Google Home devices.

It works very similar to the way Amazon Alexa currently works on Sonos, albeit with no 'automatic' room grouping features at the moment, but it supports control of quite a few other Sonos music services (explicitly) that are otherwise not available to GA, such as Amazon Music, for example.

Hope that brief summary helps to get you up and running with GA on Sonos.
Any idea on when will GA be available in Mexico?
And Ireland!
Was really hoping to group my Sonos Play 5 with my Google speakers. Do we think this ability will come?
Was really hoping to group my Sonos Play 5 with my Google speakers. Do we think this ability will come?

Personally, I doubt if it will be possible, or really in Sonos's best interests, to allow music to be sync'd across multiple multi-room speaker systems. This applies as much for Alexa as it does for Google Assistant.
We can only speculate as sonos never give a road map.

There must be a reason sonos is not a target speaker for google chromecast by now, either sonos wanting to keep grouping and "all house music" inside its ecosystem. otherwise you could just buy a single cheaper cast enabled speaker, or even google only offering "works with google" to sonos.

On an android controller you have been able to "cast" GPM app to sonos since 2013, but never happened on iOS.

There must be a reason sonos is not a target speaker for google chromecast by now, either sonos wanting to keep grouping and "all house music" inside its ecosystem. otherwise you could just buy a single cheaper cast enabled speaker, or even google only offering "works with google" to sonos.

On an android controller you have been able to "cast" GPM app to sonos since 2013, but never happened on iOS.

Was really hoping to group my Sonos Play 5 with my Google speakers. Do we think this ability will come?Personally, I doubt if it will be possible, or really in Sonos's best interests, to allow music to be sync'd across multiple multi-room speaker systems. This applies as much for Alexa as it does for Google Assistant.

FYI it is possible to group Echo and Sonos One/Beam devices and play multi room across the devices. I believe if you have older Sonos devices then you could potentially use a Connect with aux in from an Echo to group all of them.

The Alexa integration did not have groups at launch and was only in Dec 2018. So maybe the Google on could be in the works (if Google support it).

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

Was really hoping to group my Sonos Play 5 with my Google speakers. Do we think this ability will come?Personally, I doubt if it will be possible, or really in Sonos's best interests, to allow music to be sync'd across multiple multi-room speaker systems. This applies as much for Alexa as it does for Google Assistant.
FYI it is possible to group Echo and Sonos One/Beam devices and play multi room across the devices. I believe if you have older Sonos devices then you could potentially use a Connect with aux in from an Echo to group all of them.

The Alexa integration did not have groups at launch and was only in Dec 2018. So maybe the Google on could be in the works (if Google support it).https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

Just to clarify, it is only possible to group Sonos products with Sonos products. It is possible to use an Amp, an old Connect Amp or a Connect via a hard wire link to third party speakers but only if they have a Line-In port. Likewise the Play:5 (Gen 2) has a line in port so that other devices can be the source of the Audio.
I live in South Africa, and changed the voice service to Amazon to Google, now they work as they should. 😎

How?

I live in South Africa, and changed the voice service to Amazon to Google, now they work as they should. 😎How? Can I somehow get google assisstant on my sonos ONE In Austria

Please review Chromecast support as well, or at least enable support for Google Audio Books, Google Podcasts etc so we can keep everything up to date and synced no matter where we might be at the time of initiating playback after leaving our Sonos at home.
Is there any roadmap of launch of new languages? I;ve bought Beam more than a year ago with Sonos promise, that assistant will be ready soon. I understand late of this development, but I'm completely angry about lack of languages supported. Or even being more specific - geographical ares. I do not mind to use English version, but either English either Polish are available.

On other words - I would pick up other products to fulfill my needs completely.
Is there any roadmap of launch of new languages? I;ve bought Beam more than a year ago with Sonos promise, that assistant will be ready soon. I understand late of this development, but I'm completely angry about lack of languages supported. Or even being more specific - geographical ares. I do not mind to use English version, but either English either Polish are available.

On other words - I would pick up other products to fulfill my needs completely.

Sonos rarely publishes road maps, especially when development depends on 3rd party participation. One only has to look at the missed "sometime in 2018" target date for Google Assistant support to understand why.
A few new languages did recently become available in the newly launched regions, but Polish isn't available at this time. I'll pass along the request to the team for you, but as jgatie suggested, there's no roadmap that I can share.
Another user looking for Ireland 🙂