Sonos Version 8.4 - Inbox and Alexa for Canada

• 27 February 2018
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

TJRL,

I read things slightly differently to you in that message from Sonos. Whilst the Support Staff accept you can either 'upgrade' or 'not upgrade', they are, in the strongest terms. recommending that ALL users continue to upgrade their systems. They are certainly not advocating you do not upgrade your system, they are simply accepting that the alternative not to upgrade, actually exists, in this instance.

They are not advocating that you stand-still and leave your system potentially vulnerable, by not receiving future bug fixes, security updates etc.

I very much doubt that any reputable company will give you any instructions, that may leave your system in such a vulnerable position.

No, it is true, that a company cannot force you to upgrade, all they can do is give advice and recommend, but I would never expect them ever then publish some text that contradicts the recommended course they have clearly provided.

I think you are asking for something that no company would ever agree to provide to any of its customers.

If you choose to not upgrade you are taking a path that Sonos do not support. You are effectively choosing to go it alone.
Sonos "offered" nothing. They have said quite plainly that it is your option, not theirs. In no way have they sanctioned the option of freezing your system, and in no way are they recommending it. Given this fact, it is quite unreasonable for you to be asking for instructions from them for a process they in no way recommend. They are simply saying they cannot stop you from ignoring the updates, but in no way are they going to support that option. Pretty simple in my eyes.
TJRL,

In a rather similar vein, I would not expect Sonos Staff to describe to its customers how to change the lithium battery on the sealed CR100 controller. We all know that some customers were able to do that themselves, but it’s not something I would ever expect a Sonos employee to advocate and certainly their Staff would not provide us (the customer) with instructions on how to go about doing that. It obviously invalidates warranties, may damage the device, or worse still, it may create a potential fire risk etc.

No way on earth will Sonos Staff support such a procedure, even if they may acknowledge it exists and that some customers have chosen themselves to go it alone and change their CR100 batteries for ones they imported cheaply from China.

The Sonos Staff cannot ever demand that a customer does not change their CR100 battery themselves, they can only 'strongly advise' their customer against it.

A customer may try to ask Sonos how to change a CR100 battery, but I’m sure they will not ever receive the type of instructions they were looking for.

Those who chose to change their CR100 batteries, also effectively decided themselves to go it alone, down their own route.

Similarly, if a customer decides not to discard their CR100 Controller in April and also do not update their Sonos system in the future, they are going against the official Sonos advice and choosing a path that they clearly do not support, because it introduces potential risks in the future.

So I do not see how Sonos could now provide any instructions on how to go about 'not upgrading' the Sonos system as it carries with it some potential future risk.

My view is you are asking Ryan S. for something that he clearly is unable to provide in his official capacity.

It is really something to discuss with other members and customers/enthusiasts here in the community, who may be able to provide you with the answers you are looking for.

You really need to find like-minded users, who do not wish to upgrade their Sonos system, post April, and who are also choosing to go it alone, contrary to the official Sonos advice on offer. I think you may find the answers you are looking for in the 'Save the CR100' thread, but I would not hold your breath for an official Sonos response, as I doubt very much you will receive the answer you are hoping for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Sonos "offered" nothing. They have said quite plainly that it is your option, not theirs. In no way have they sanctioned the option of freezing your system, and in no way are they recommending it. Given this fact, it is quite unreasonable for you to be asking for instructions from them for a process they in no way recommend. They are simply saying they cannot stop you from ignoring the updates, but in no way are they going to support that option. Pretty simple in my eyes.
Jgatie (and Ken_Griffiths),

We each have our own views and you have both made some valid points.

My view is that if Sonos tell me I have two options and one is to "dump my hardware" and the other is to "freeze the OS" then it is a reasonable expectation that Sonos would provide at the very least a simple check list of how to reliably freeze the OS.

I say "at the very least" as I think (as other have stated) it is reasonable to expect Sonos to offer a proper support solution so that users can (for example) carry out a factory reset of their systems if needed and then reload today's current OS. Of course this has never been supported by Sonos in the past but then again they have never "bricked" working hardware items before!

I understand that you do not see things the way I see them. I also recognise that the Sonos system has been "smartphone app" controlled for years and most likely 90%+ of users have never used a CR100 or CR200 and so the next OS update will not be an issue for the vast majority of users (and therefore Sonos). But making the Sonos system less easy to use is to be regretted. 😞
Difference of opinions aside, you aren't going to get Sonos to give you step by step directions to do something they have emphatically recommended against. I think that is perfectly clear in Ryan's statement. It is also perfectly clear Sonos is not going to give you a way to reload old software. If that is unsatisfactory, I suggest that you and others pursue the threats of legal action that have been tossed around so lightly in the "Save the CR100" thread. Good luck finding a lawyer willing to take on something so frivolous.

Either way, discussing this nonsense in a thread titled "Sonos Version 8.4 - Inbox and Alexa for Canada" is both off-topic, and annoying. The "Save the CR100" thread is thataway----->
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Either way, discussing this nonsense in a thread titled "Sonos Version 8.4 - Inbox and Alexa for Canada" is both off-topic, and annoying. The "Save the CR100" thread is thataway----->

I asked the question in the Sonos announcement thread because this is where I heard about the CR100 demise and this is where Ryan S chose to place the Sonos answer to my enquiry. All my other post have been answering question or statement posted by others including you. :$

The "Save the CR100" thread whilst worthy is not the right place to ask Sonos to flesh out their advice posted in an announcement thread.

I asked the question in the Sonos announcement thread because this is where I heard about the CR100 demise and this is where Ryan S chose to place the Sonos answer to my enquiry. All my other post have been answering question or statement posted by others including you. :$

The "Save the CR100" thread whilst worthy is not the right place to ask Sonos to flesh out their advice posted in an announcement thread.

TJRL,

Yes I think that is fair comment ...

I don't wish to move this thread off topic either, so apologies to anyone who think that I/we are trying to do that, but I still don't see anywhere that Sonos are presenting the customer with two different options. The official stance is we should all upgrade our systems and for setting aside our CR100 controllers, Sonos are offering, what they consider to be, reasonable compensation of £100/$100 per customer.

There is perhaps more 'merit' as to whether the compensation on offer is reasonable, or otherwise. In my personal situation, I found their offer reasonable for my circumstance, but I appreciate others do not think that it is, because of their own individual case.

Notwithstanding these things though, I really do not see a case that Sonos are suggesting (or advising) any of their customer to stop upgrading their products. That’s not how their official postings read to me.

It's always a customers decision to not update their own Sonos system and I just can't see a case where Sonos Staff would have to provide instructions on how to avoid their own recommended advice.

The 'Save The CR100' thread is the only likely current place to find the answers that are being sought here, but I doubt the method to 'not upgrade' your products will ever be detailed by any member of the Sonos Staff ... you need to look to 'other Sonos users' in the community for that type of 'contrary' advice.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
And while the new features keep on rolling out, the long list of fixes for the new app remains unaddressed.

As if a white background on now playing was all that's needed.
And while the new features keep on rolling out, the long list of fixes for the new app remains unaddressed.

As if a white background on now playing was all that's needed.

That’s just one of many things that changed, not least the main bottom bar now stays on screen during navigation of the 'Now Playing Screen'.

Sonos also introduced the 'Detect New Session' feature, which is an excellent addition to the App to ensure that the music plays in the correct room.

It appears you are just minimising the development work that was done in the last increment. You are also ignoring the release note which stated there were more improvements to come.

It’s all about priority and try to bear in mind that many users here often complain that the Sonos App updates are far too frequent... you can’t have your cake AND eat it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
It appears you are just minimising the development work that was done in the last increment. You are also ignoring the release note which stated there were more improvements to come.
That was my point. we are still waiting for those improvements - or more correctly fixes for issues that should never made it into the release in the first place - while new features are being rolled out. Which brings me to...

It’s all about priority and try to bear in mind that many users here often complain that the Sonos App updates are far too frequent... you can’t have your cake AND eat it.

It's indeed about priorities, and apparently for sonos new features are more important than a user friendly controller. The bombardement of updates sits in the same boat. Releasing new features, and a pointless redesign, was more important than properly testing software, resulting in a scramble to have things 'fixed'.
That was my point. we are still waiting for those improvements - or more correctly fixes for issues that should never made it into the release in the first place - while new features are being rolled out. Which brings me to...
What issues – please specify.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

It's indeed about priorities, and apparently for sonos new features are more important than a user friendly controller. The bombardement of updates sits in the same boat. Releasing new features, and a pointless redesign, was more important than properly testing software, resulting in a scramble to have things 'fixed'.

New features?
I don't see new features unfortunately...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

New features?
I don't see new features unfortunately...

You mean you aren't glad with the inbox and Alexa in Canada? 😉