Sonos Version 8.2 Now Available

• 14 November 2017
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies

Pandora Straight to Sonos, My Sonos Changes, Snooze and Alarm Notifications

With 8.2, we’re bringing the ultimate personalized listening experience to your home with the new Pandora for Sonos. It’s now even easier to discover new music with stations tuned to your taste with three ways to play Pandora on Sonos: Play directly from the Pandora app on Android or iOS to Sonos, through the Sonos app, or with your voice by asking Alexa.

Music started from the Pandora app on Sonos can even be changed using Alexa or your Sonos app. If you change the station that’s on using Alexa, it’ll take over from the Pandora app, so you’d then be using Sonos and Alexa to control what’s on, until you restart the connection using the Pandora app.

You can use the Pandora app to play straight to Sonos with all levels of Pandora subscriptions, including Free. Upgrade to Pandora Premium and get on-demand access to all your music, now available on Sonos.

Using Pandora Premium you can listen to whole albums, create your own playlists and go straight to the songs you love. Alexa can start Pandora stations and control basic playback, (skip, pause, volume, etc) but isn’t able to start tracks, albums, or playlists from Pandora Premium.

Pandora on Sonos is getting improvements and changes as well. For more details, take a look here.

Still have any questions about Pandora? Feel free to ask in this thread.

My Sonos and App Changes
We’ve been working to improve the Sonos app based on your feedback. Some of the first changes to the app are now in. The My Sonos screen now displays your favorites differently, in a better-managed space. There’s a list view for your Sonos, showing them in chunks you can slide between. Playlists have been merged together within My Sonos so your Sonos playlists and favorited service playlists are all put in the same place now. My Sonos now has a limit of 70 items, up from 40.

Also, we’ve added some animation to the Now Playing page to make it a bit easier to see there’s more below it. That includes adding a bar at the top you can press to pull the page down.

We’re continuing to work on the Sonos app and would love your suggestions if you’d like to share. Please post your suggestions in this board, we’ll move comments over that are made here to keep this thread clear.

Alarm Notification and Snooze
The long requested feature, Alarm Snooze, has now been added to your Sonos system. To set up a Snooze notification, create or edit one of your Alarms under More > Alarms. At the bottom of the menu, you can pick Settings > Snooze Notification.

With this enabled, the Sonos app on the device you’re using will display a notification when your alarm goes off. The display will allow you to dismiss the alarm or snooze it for a certain amount of time. Read more about using the new Alarm features here.

Having trouble after the update?
Any trouble with missing players or audio cutting out after an update could be caused by a number of things, but a great place to start is with rebooting your router followed by your Sonos players. If you’re still having trouble, we’re happy to help. Feel free to give us a call on our support line. You can also make a new post or join a conversation here on the community. We’ll be moving troubleshooting comments made on this post to new threads to keep things clean.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

This is only half the answer. A basic alarm clock has a button that people can press while half asleep (i.e. they snooze). As suggested many times over the past 5+ years, the buttons at the top should be enabled as snooze buttons while in alarm mode. 😞
Badge
Hello, I have a large music library and Sonos cannot index it all. It's over 65K songs. Stuck using Plex which is not optimal.

1. Can you update the software/firmware to be able to handle larger music libraries?

2. The player on a PC with a large monitor could use some UI improvements. Grid layout for artists.

3. Need the player to read meta tags. I can't filter by genre or year?

4. Support playlists from my library? I use relative url playlists so it should work if you can add support. I have many in my playlist folder that I want to use.

Do this and I'll buy a lot more. Need controllers and more speakers.

Not sure why the controllers are more than a speaker? They have no amp and just pass the sound. $350 is way too much. Why?
Yamaha MusicCast has been exceptional and working flawlessly. Don’t miss my sonos at all.!
Userlevel 1
Give us the option to revert back to a setup that we like and works. The new update is horrible in terms of stability and navigation. "Unable to play - service unresponsive" at least twice a day after the update. All versions iOS, Android and Windows are much worse in terms of navigation and integration in my opinion.
Nice work on the Pandora 2-way integration. I am sure a lot of focus was going there and also on getting Spotify working with the Sonos One voice control.

My two cents on the My Sonos tab... I don’t think I’ll use it. I manage so much of my music within Spotify or Pandora, and I don’t want to be recreating song lists or stations or favorites in another place. Now if the Sonos app could absorb those lists from the other apps, that might change my mind.
If you go into your streaming service playlists or stations, long-press a playlist / station icon and tap 'add to My Sonos'. It will then appear in your My Sonos.. At least you can with Google Play Music. Is that what you mean? (Actually, on re-reading, I don't think it is, but I'll leave it there in case it's of interest)
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Nice work on the Pandora 2-way integration. I am sure a lot of focus was going there and also on getting Spotify working with the Sonos One voice control.

My two cents on the My Sonos tab... I don’t think I’ll use it. I manage so much of my music within Spotify or Pandora, and I don’t want to be recreating song lists or stations or favorites in another place. Now if the Sonos app could absorb those lists from the other apps, that might change my mind.
No need for 5.1. I'm still rocking a vintage Denon stereo amp from the early 80's, so I just need something like a Connect with integrated BT and/or Chromecast to stream my tablet's and phone's content. Thanks again!
Yes, they've got an Amp setup at 349 and a connect at 299 - I think. But you could even just pickup a Home Theatre option for the same price, too.
The Yamaha stuff also has AirPlay, Wi-FI, and Bluetooth - can't get simpler than that. As well, with a receiver, you can actually cast any input to a speaker.

The MusicCast website is a bit confusing to me. Is there some kind of Connect equivalent in Yamaha's product range? I'd like to get rid of my Connect and my BT receiver and replace those by an all-in-one device. Tried Denon Heos a couple of months ago but didn't like the app's UI too much (compared to Sonos 7.3, which I'm still happily using right now). The MusicCast app looks rather nice indeed.
Good luck. Yamaha failed spectacularly on its first two attempts at multi-room music. Maybe rhe third time is the charm.
Dumped SONOS..!! Went with MusiCast. EXCELLENT..! The UI on Sonos is so horrible and the APP reviews are all a resounding "1" - but SONOS doesn't do anything. Their layoffs on top of that. The Yamaha stuff also has AirPlay, Wi-FI, and Bluetooth - can't get simpler than that. As well, with a receiver, you can actually cast any input to a speaker. Too bad, as I had all devices by SONOS, but moved on.
@TnL. I agree with much of what you say. But once you 'get' the principles it can be used quite easily.

I know some users have struggled to carry out the real essentials, like selecting a room and music to play in it. This may help a bit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mI9AOixsZpxDrxVnsnzYQbPZ23bSV-EG
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've got to agree with Keithmac on the UI changes in the latest update: icons are so large I cannot see many options. Have to select & swipe (android & kindle) many times to get to what I could easily see with the version from early 2017.

In my opinion, the user interface took a couple of large steps backwards in usability and intuitive cnavigation.

Perhaps some UI skin options so I can do a "compact" version that returns more things to fewer screens?

I am pretty unhappy with the latest interface, and somewhat embarassed to show my friends now. The simple UI used to be a strong selling point, now it is just confusing and difficult.

Equipment still works great though.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Why persist with the big icons in My Sonos, it's just an unusable mess.

The space 2 albums take up you could quite easily fit 10 or 12 in, instead of clicking "Show all" or whatever it's called.

Why take away the "Playing Next" scroller on the Now Playing screen?, that was a very usable and much missed feature.

It's very lucky the Hardware is so good is all I can say..
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Go to settings in the controller app, then advanced settings, and click on online updates. That should run the process of updating the firmware on your speakers.

Or, when you open up settings, there might be an arrow looking thing at the top of the list that has an arrowish thing pointing up to the right, and one pointing down to the left. At least, that's the way it used to be. That will run any outstanding updates as well.

Thank you but everything is ok now. I didn't know but I was in the Beta Program for a cutting sound problem. I leaved this Beta Program and my speakers are now in 8.2 too...
Go to settings in the controller app, then advanced settings, and click on online updates. That should run the process of updating the firmware on your speakers.

Or, when you open up settings, there might be an arrow looking thing at the top of the list that has an arrowish thing pointing up to the right, and one pointing down to the left. At least, that's the way it used to be. That will run any outstanding updates as well.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I have updated my Sonos Controllers (2 Iphone, 3 Ipad - IOS 11) and the apllications always tell me to update... The Sonos version of the controllers in the apps is 8.2 and my units (Boost, Playbar, Sub and 7 Play:1) are 8.1.1... Please can you help me? Because of this I can't access to all the functionality of the apps... Thanks in advance.
Badge +2
FWIW I think 8.2 brings several improvements to the usability (running on iOS). I really like the change when I click the area of what is actually playing. The modal window is more intuitive than in previous versions. If you could just add a "X" in the top right corner to indicate how to close the window it would be perfect. The small grey bar in the top of the window is not enough, but that's Apple's stupid UI rules I guess.

In I think Johns idea is the right one. Move sonos playlists to browse, rename mysonos to favourites then only show favourites in that section.
There's still some work to be done to get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy. We're collecting as much feedback as possible and getting it to the team. My Sonos is basically the evolution of Favorites. It's the place to go to play your usual music instead of searching through Browse.
Thanks for your reply, Ryan, but I don't think you will get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy...or even anyone. I think the concept itself is flawed. It sounds logical - put the 'personal choices' things together - but in practice is doomed to be an unsatisfactory compromise of some sort.

Favourites and Playlists are different animals. For example, it is perfectly reasonable to want to have favourite Sonos Playlists (something that has been taken away from us in 8.2). And I would say it was odd to have, say, 20 favourite artists (they cannot really all be favourites), but not odd to have 50 playlists (and a few favourite playlists).

Sonos have had two goes at combining favourites and playlists so far. The first, in 8.0, gave us two categories of playlists in one place (Sonos Playlists and favourite playlists), with the bizarre effect that to make a playlist a favourite you had to go into My Sonos and ask to save it to My Sonos. The second attempt, in 8.2, is even more bizarre. Favourites from other sources are mixed in with all the Sonos Playlists. Favourites are supposed to be easy to find - this makes no sense.

But my point isn't that Sonos have got My Sonos wrong twice, it's that there is no right.

It is disingenuous to say that one would have to search for Sonos Playlists in Browse. Put it at the top or bottom. (Didn't it used to be at the top of the old main menu? - can't remember)

There are no downsides to this. It seems to me at least equally natural to think of Sonos Playlists as a source as to think of them being like Favourites. My Sonos can be just Favourites whether you rename it or not. We can have favourite playlists again, and the screen doesn't have to accommodate an 'all playlists' category along with favourites.

My Sonos is not an evolution of Favourites, it is a twice-failed experiment that needs to be abandoned.

This isn't the end of the world. It's just an app. It's usable. In fact I like some aspects of the new app. But this bit is just wrong, and it would be better to admit it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
In mysonos, why are radio stations now in list view but playlists and songs in horizontal .

I'm confused by this. I want to say its a mistake but it would be interesting to know the reason.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Following the release of 8.2, my current thoughts...

The smaller icons for Stations listed in My Sonos is a minor improvement. I've now trimmed my favourite stations back to the top 16, so they all now display without having to click the crappy "See All" button. I've also deleted most of my playlists, leaving just two that again display without having to use "See All". It's a work around for now and I'd still prefer to go back to the old 7.x App.

I quite like the suggestion someone made of moving Playlists to a section under Browse, and then renaming My Sonos to Favourites and configure it as single horizontal list. At the end of the day a list of FAVOURITES just needs to be a Top 30 and is much quicker to access as a single horizontal list.

The App colour scheme still needs a darker theme and the toolbar at the bottom needs to display all the time.

Finally, with so much wrong with the current layout, design and functionality, I would suggest kicking off a parallel project that re-gathers all the requirements and suggestions and aims to create a new "Super Deluxe" Controller App, one that stands out from the competition. The design team need to look back at the original CR200 and the Mac/Windows desktop controllers as they functioned as good Sonos branded functional controllers. I think its key to success is reverting back to having less layers with all the main functions in view on the main screen. It should be intuitive and a pleasure to use. It is NOT an App in which you are consuming media, it is an App to CONTROL consuming media on an external hardware system, so it really doesn't need the layers and controls all hidden away in order to make the interface "look clean" and mimic other Apps trends.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

1sidk and chrisss, our apologies for the confusion, somehow the wrong text was included in the app listing for Australia. Pandora has withdrawn from Australia for now, and we don't have any special deals or information regarding changes there. We're working to get the text corrected already.

In mysonos, why are radio stations now in list view but playlists and songs in horizontal view? Shouldn't they all be the same (list view imo)

And agreed on the merging of playlists, I think Johns idea is the right one. Move sonos playlists to browse, rename mysonos to favourites then only show favourites in that section.

There's still some work to be done to get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy. We're collecting as much feedback as possible and getting it to the team. My Sonos is basically the evolution of Favorites. It's the place to go to play your usual music instead of searching through Browse.

Haha, nice Gert; I guess they have added "Højtaler" since no one were able to spell it correct anyway. God, I sometimes hate how they just adapt.
Btw, "Højtaler" makes no sense when you think of it. Højttaler (split into the two words "Højt" and "Taler") means exactly "Loudspeaker" - where as "Højtaler" (split into Høj and Taler) means "Tallspeaker".

So - MOST correct IS still "Højttaler" with 2 t's, regardless of the dictionary ;-)

I'll pass this along to the Danish team. Thanks for the callout.
Haha, nice Gert; I guess they have added "Højtaler" since no one were able to spell it correct anyway. God, I sometimes hate how they just adapt.
Btw, "Højtaler" makes no sense when you think of it. Højttaler (split into the two words "Højt" and "Taler") means exactly "Loudspeaker" - where as "Højtaler" (split into Høj and Taler) means "Tallspeaker".

So - MOST correct IS still "Højttaler" with 2 t's, regardless of the dictionary 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
Who is doing your danish translations? Common mistake among the danes are the word "Speaker" in danish - which correctly is speed : "Højttaler" (with 2 t's) - common mistake is to type it with only 1't (Højtaler). In the update process it says "Opdaterer højtaler" .... a bit embarrasing that a large company like Sonos can't even get the spelling right.
You can do better.

Well,
According to the official Danish dictionary, the word can be spelled in both ways.

https://dsn.dk/?retskriv=h%C3%B8jtaler&ae=0
Who is doing your danish translations? Common mistake among the danes are the word "Speaker" in danish - which correctly is speed : "Højttaler" (with 2 t's) - common mistake is to type it with only 1't (Højtaler). In the update process it says "Opdaterer højtaler" .... a bit embarrasing that a large company like Sonos can't even get the spelling right.
You can do better.