Sonos Version 8.2 Now Available

• 14 November 2017
  • 43 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I have updated my Sonos Controllers (2 Iphone, 3 Ipad - IOS 11) and the apllications always tell me to update... The Sonos version of the controllers in the apps is 8.2 and my units (Boost, Playbar, Sub and 7 Play:1) are 8.1.1... Please can you help me? Because of this I can't access to all the functionality of the apps... Thanks in advance.
Go to settings in the controller app, then advanced settings, and click on online updates. That should run the process of updating the firmware on your speakers.

Or, when you open up settings, there might be an arrow looking thing at the top of the list that has an arrowish thing pointing up to the right, and one pointing down to the left. At least, that's the way it used to be. That will run any outstanding updates as well.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Go to settings in the controller app, then advanced settings, and click on online updates. That should run the process of updating the firmware on your speakers.

Or, when you open up settings, there might be an arrow looking thing at the top of the list that has an arrowish thing pointing up to the right, and one pointing down to the left. At least, that's the way it used to be. That will run any outstanding updates as well.

Thank you but everything is ok now. I didn't know but I was in the Beta Program for a cutting sound problem. I leaved this Beta Program and my speakers are now in 8.2 too...
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Why persist with the big icons in My Sonos, it's just an unusable mess.

The space 2 albums take up you could quite easily fit 10 or 12 in, instead of clicking "Show all" or whatever it's called.

Why take away the "Playing Next" scroller on the Now Playing screen?, that was a very usable and much missed feature.

It's very lucky the Hardware is so good is all I can say..
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've got to agree with Keithmac on the UI changes in the latest update: icons are so large I cannot see many options. Have to select & swipe (android & kindle) many times to get to what I could easily see with the version from early 2017.

In my opinion, the user interface took a couple of large steps backwards in usability and intuitive cnavigation.

Perhaps some UI skin options so I can do a "compact" version that returns more things to fewer screens?

I am pretty unhappy with the latest interface, and somewhat embarassed to show my friends now. The simple UI used to be a strong selling point, now it is just confusing and difficult.

Equipment still works great though.
@TnL. I agree with much of what you say. But once you 'get' the principles it can be used quite easily.

I know some users have struggled to carry out the real essentials, like selecting a room and music to play in it. This may help a bit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mI9AOixsZpxDrxVnsnzYQbPZ23bSV-EG
Dumped SONOS..!! Went with MusiCast. EXCELLENT..! The UI on Sonos is so horrible and the APP reviews are all a resounding "1" - but SONOS doesn't do anything. Their layoffs on top of that. The Yamaha stuff also has AirPlay, Wi-FI, and Bluetooth - can't get simpler than that. As well, with a receiver, you can actually cast any input to a speaker. Too bad, as I had all devices by SONOS, but moved on.
Good luck. Yamaha failed spectacularly on its first two attempts at multi-room music. Maybe rhe third time is the charm.
The Yamaha stuff also has AirPlay, Wi-FI, and Bluetooth - can't get simpler than that. As well, with a receiver, you can actually cast any input to a speaker.

The MusicCast website is a bit confusing to me. Is there some kind of Connect equivalent in Yamaha's product range? I'd like to get rid of my Connect and my BT receiver and replace those by an all-in-one device. Tried Denon Heos a couple of months ago but didn't like the app's UI too much (compared to Sonos 7.3, which I'm still happily using right now). The MusicCast app looks rather nice indeed.
Yes, they've got an Amp setup at 349 and a connect at 299 - I think. But you could even just pickup a Home Theatre option for the same price, too.
No need for 5.1. I'm still rocking a vintage Denon stereo amp from the early 80's, so I just need something like a Connect with integrated BT and/or Chromecast to stream my tablet's and phone's content. Thanks again!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Nice work on the Pandora 2-way integration. I am sure a lot of focus was going there and also on getting Spotify working with the Sonos One voice control.

My two cents on the My Sonos tab... I don’t think I’ll use it. I manage so much of my music within Spotify or Pandora, and I don’t want to be recreating song lists or stations or favorites in another place. Now if the Sonos app could absorb those lists from the other apps, that might change my mind.
Nice work on the Pandora 2-way integration. I am sure a lot of focus was going there and also on getting Spotify working with the Sonos One voice control.

My two cents on the My Sonos tab... I don’t think I’ll use it. I manage so much of my music within Spotify or Pandora, and I don’t want to be recreating song lists or stations or favorites in another place. Now if the Sonos app could absorb those lists from the other apps, that might change my mind.
If you go into your streaming service playlists or stations, long-press a playlist / station icon and tap 'add to My Sonos'. It will then appear in your My Sonos.. At least you can with Google Play Music. Is that what you mean? (Actually, on re-reading, I don't think it is, but I'll leave it there in case it's of interest)
Userlevel 1
Give us the option to revert back to a setup that we like and works. The new update is horrible in terms of stability and navigation. "Unable to play - service unresponsive" at least twice a day after the update. All versions iOS, Android and Windows are much worse in terms of navigation and integration in my opinion.
Yamaha MusicCast has been exceptional and working flawlessly. Don’t miss my sonos at all.!
Badge
Hello, I have a large music library and Sonos cannot index it all. It's over 65K songs. Stuck using Plex which is not optimal.

1. Can you update the software/firmware to be able to handle larger music libraries?

2. The player on a PC with a large monitor could use some UI improvements. Grid layout for artists.

3. Need the player to read meta tags. I can't filter by genre or year?

4. Support playlists from my library? I use relative url playlists so it should work if you can add support. I have many in my playlist folder that I want to use.

Do this and I'll buy a lot more. Need controllers and more speakers.

Not sure why the controllers are more than a speaker? They have no amp and just pass the sound. $350 is way too much. Why?
This is only half the answer. A basic alarm clock has a button that people can press while half asleep (i.e. they snooze). As suggested many times over the past 5+ years, the buttons at the top should be enabled as snooze buttons while in alarm mode. 😞