Sonos Version 7.3 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

117 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The question is...is the iPhone 4S supported or not?
Simple answer: yes, if you update the iOS. iPhone4S will run iOS 9.3.5
You're on iOS 7, which is no longer supported by Sonos.

Many thanks. Mmmm. Rather odd as the phone says there are no software updates. I'll have to investigate further.

It sounds like yours could be an iPhone4 not a 4S. The 4 will only go as high as iOS 7.1.2.

Definitely a 4S as per buying it from the Apple shop and on the About screen. When I have some time I'll go and pester the lovely Apple shop employees.
Userlevel 1
Badge
i am furious with sonons .. who lets them decide which phone they support.. i have a iphone 4 .. sonos was working fine and then they decide to just cancel support .. just let the old version on the phone .. unacceptable .. so much for comapny that cares about its coustomers
I am furious that my old phone Android 2.2.1 no longer works! Sonos promises on their release notes to have part support for 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 but i get an "obsolete software" message on my phone. I have 7 Sonos controllers for 5 different people and I can't afford upgrading all my controllers to the latest mobile phone!!! Come on Sonos. You stopped doing your own controller. Do you have a deal with Samsung and Apple to force people to chuck or some cash?:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am furious that my old phone Android 2.2.1 no longer works! Sonos promises on their release notes to have part support for 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 but i get an "obsolete software" message on my phone. I have 7 Sonos controllers for 5 different people and I can't afford upgrading all my controllers to the latest mobile phone!!! Come on Sonos. You stopped doing your own controller. Do you have a deal with Samsung and Apple to force people to chuck or some cash?:@

The release notes say no such thing.

•Android: 2.2, 2.3, and 3.x
If you try, you’ll see this message: "To continue using your Sonos system, please update the OS on this device or use a different device."

Just as an FYI Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) was released in October 2011. Your software on your phone was released in May 2010. I'm guessing your phone is at least 1 if not 2 years older than that. You've had nearly a decade of updates with no issues (If you were iOS you would have had way more issues) so your fury is unreasonable and the insinuation that Sonos are in cahoots with Samsung and Apple to force phone obsolescence is utter rubbish (especially when you see what I wrote above).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Interesting that it says " Even still supporting iPod Touch 4! " - so Sonos clearly could have continued to support the Gen 4, just chose not to....
Well, no. Sonophone provides some basic control features, actually, one may say it basically meets the standards of a partly supported Sonos controller.

It works really well for the couple of pounds cost.
You can group rooms by drag & drop, the volume control has numbers in it so you can tweek it accurately, sonos favourites & playlists appear.
Without this app both my ipod 4gens would be trashed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
i am furious with sonons .. who lets them decide which phone they support.. i have a iphone 4 .. sonos was working fine and then they decide to just cancel support .. just let the old version on the phone .. unacceptable .. so much for comapny that cares about its coustomers

Now if you call them sonons they may also not be happy with you...

.. on a more serious note, look at the brighter side, it's time for a phone upgrade!!

Lol. You need to vent your anger where it belongs, on Apple...
Ok. I've just had the same problem as everyone else here. Have been using an old iPhone4 as my controller in the kitchen, but since Sonos update the controller stopped working. Have just downloaded an app called Sonophone from the app store and it works straight away. £2.99 cheaper than replacing phone! The Sonophone developer probably had zero downloads last month, but will make a fortune from now on...
Sonos Version 7.3 Available Today

We’re excited to bring new features and improvements to Sonos with version 7.3. Here are the main highlights:

Help and Tips: There’s a new and improved help and tips section that’s been added to the main menu on the Sonos app. You can find suggestions and useful tricks in here about managing music services and libraries, grouping rooms, and other features of using the Sonos app.

Explicit Label: Now while using Spotify or Apple Music on Sonos you will see a small “E” icon next to any content that contains explicit language. The icon will display next to a track’s name in the search results, next to the track’s name on the “Now playing” screen, next to the title of an album right under the cover art, and when viewing tracks in the queue.

Android app and Widget: Some new customization features are now available for Android devices to control Sonos. You can use shortcuts from the Sonos app icon and the widget for the home screen is now adjustable.

Official JAWS (Job Access with Speech) integration: You can now use the utility JAWS to navigate setup screens and settings with the Windows desktop.

There were also some other minor tweaks to help improve how things run in the background, including better handling of the iOS Wi-Fi Assist feature.

Finally, the system requirements for Sonos Apps are changing with 7.3.

7.3 System Requirements:

Android: 4.0 or higher
iOS: 8.0
Mac OS X: 10.9
Windows: 7 and higher

The following operating systems will be incompatible with version 7.3:
  • Android: 2.2, 2.3, and 3.x
  • iOS: 7.0
  • macOS: 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • Windows: XP and Vista

Any device that is running one of these versions will be unable to control Sonos and will receive the error message that you need to update the operating system when you open the app.

Please note that the original iPhone 4 (not the iPhone 4s) and the 2011 Kindle Fire are unable to update to a compatible software version.
Can I download the previous version (7.2?) on my iPhone 4? When I upgraded recently I didn't realize I would no longer be able to use this iPhone as a controller. I would not have updated Sonos on that iPhone if I had known, I would have continued using the older version but updated Sonos on my other devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can I download the previous version (7.2?) on my iPhone 4? When I upgraded recently I didn't realize I would no longer be able to use this iPhone as a controller. I would not have updated Sonos on that iPhone if I had known, I would have continued using the older version but updated Sonos on my other devices.

No. That isn't possible. There are 3rd party apps available (paid) that will allow a reduced functionality else you will need to use a supported controller.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Very happy to see the E for explicit and that it works on both my favourite streaming services, thank you.

Hmmm-Using Apple Music I noticed the E under album listings in search results but I do not see it in the queue for tracks that are flagged in the native Apple Music app?

Running the latest updates and latest iOS.
Very happy to see the E for explicit and that it works on both my favourite streaming services, thank you.

Hmmm-Using Apple Music I noticed the E under album listings in search results but I do not see it in the queue for tracks that are flagged in the native Apple Music app?

Running the latest updates and latest iOS.

Yes, I found the same with Apple Music and spoke to Sonos about it... it's work in progress and told to bear with them.

The Spotify implementation works better 🙂
The Explicit Label is a move in the right direction - would love to see the ability to be able to have Sonos skip any track with explicit content.

I enjoying discovering new music through curated playlists, and on my own explicit content doesn't offend me, but with very young children in the house you always have to have your finger hovering over the skip button. Even an innocent sounding playlist (category 'Dinner' playlist 'Songs About Food') can be interspersed with F's and N's everywhere.

I use Tidal so would like to see their explicit flags pulled through as well - I appreciate Sonos is focusing on the services with the largest user base first.

I asked Tidal if they would introduce an Explicit Filter - they said nice idea; but I guess it will never happen... that would shut off all of Jay-Z's music when turned on so never going to happen - which is why Sonos needs to take the lead in this space.

I've been doing a free trial of Deezer, but doesn't look like they even flag explicit content in their own app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
after the update just finished my awesome sounding stereo now sounds bad. i am using the sonos connect and its hooked to my home stereo. the bass now sounds dead and it almost sounds like the high mids have been boosted, the highs do not sound very good now either. it just does not seem to have the same full sound as it did before the update.. i have had this sonos connect for a few years, its always sounded great but this update seems to have killed the sound quality
You may want to start a new thread in Troubleshooting for this. And submit a system diagnostic, and post the number there, for the folks at Sonos to look at.

This thread was about 7.3, which is the old version of the application. Yesterday they released 7.4
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
You may want to start a new thread in Troubleshooting for this. And submit a system diagnostic, and post the number there, for the folks at Sonos to look at.

This thread was about 7.3, which is the old version of the application. Yesterday they released 7.4

thanks. must be 7.4 i just got..