Sonos Version 7.3 Now Available

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 394 replies
Sonos Version 7.3 Available Today

We’re excited to bring new features and improvements to Sonos with version 7.3. Here are the main highlights:

Help and Tips: There’s a new and improved help and tips section that’s been added to the main menu on the Sonos app. You can find suggestions and useful tricks in here about managing music services and libraries, grouping rooms, and other features of using the Sonos app.

Explicit Label: Now while using Spotify or Apple Music on Sonos you will see a small “E” icon next to any content that contains explicit language. The icon will display next to a track’s name in the search results, next to the track’s name on the “Now Playing” screen, next to the title of an album right under the cover art, and when viewing tracks in the queue.
Please note, while explicit tracks are labeled within Sonos, it's not possible to filter explicit tracks.

Android app and Widget: Some new customization features are now available for Android devices to control Sonos. You can use shortcuts from the Sonos app icon and the widget for the home screen is now adjustable.

Official JAWS (Job Access with Speech) integration: You can now use the utility JAWS to navigate setup screens and settings with the Windows desktop.

There were also some other minor tweaks to help improve how things run in the background, including better handling of the iOS Wi-Fi Assist feature.

Finally, the system requirements for Sonos Apps are changing with 7.3.

7.3 System Requirements:

Android: 4.0 or higher
iOS: 8.0
Mac OS X: 10.9
Windows: 7 and higher

The following operating systems will be incompatible with version 7.3:
  • Android: 2.2, 2.3, and 3.x
  • iOS: 7.0
  • macOS: 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • Windows: XP and Vista

Any device that is running one of these versions will be unable to control Sonos and will receive the error message that you need to update the operating system when you open the app.

Please note that the original iPhone 4 (not the iPhone 4s) and the 2011 Kindle Fire are unable to update to a compatible software version.

117 replies

Alexa?
Thank you for the explicit label for Spotify, definitely useful. Will try to check out the Windows app now that there is JAWS/screen reader support, also nice enhancements.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
chicks wrote:

Alexa?

It's coming. Alexa device control for Sonos will be available this year, but not this update. We aren't sharing the full timeline yet.
Ryan S wrote:

chicks wrote:

Alexa?

It's coming. Alexa device control for Sonos will be available this year, but not this update. We aren't sharing the full timeline yet.

I hope you will consider opening up to Google Home support as well.
Some minor important updates (again).
Very disappointing again to see that the alarm feature with grouping room has not been implemented. Or that the grouping is lost after a restart of the wifi router.

These features has been requested by a lot of people here on the community.
There will always be those disappointed that their favourite feature hasn't been implemented.

As for

the grouping is lost after a restart of the wifi router

of course it will be, for a system in WiFi/Standard Setup. The wireless connection drops completely, triggering a soft restart of the players.

A system in SonosNet/BOOST Setup should fare better when a router restarts since none of the Sonos units talk to it directly, except for the wired one which often remains unperturbed.
Very happy to see the E for explicit and that it works on both my favourite streaming services, thank you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
chicks wrote:

Alexa?

I found this snarky reply to the same question from somebody named Chicks two months ago. "When it's good and ready." It seems you already answered your own question.
What about music on the hard drive of a windows XP computer?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
MikeMusic wrote:

We're looking to add support for more voice assistants and home integration and controllers in the future, Alexa is going to be our first partner, but we'd love to see them all available on Sonos one day.

@Sunnytur, I'll make sure that your name's on the list for interest in those features. With each release we add new features and fix issues as well. We can't fit them all in and the development team has been largely focused on a few projects right now. I don't have any plans I can let you in on regarding those two features you're looking for, but I'll pass the request along to the team.
mcginnis88 wrote:

Shared folders should continue to be accessible. It's just the desktop controller which will no longer run.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
mcginnis88 wrote:

Windows XP computers aren't able to run the Sonos software, but if you have SMB1 enabled and the folder with your music in it shared on the network you should be able to use another controller to tell Sonos to go looking for the computer as the shared location.

Another route to go, is uploading that library to a music service that'll store the tracks for you. That way Sonos doesn't need to have access to the computer and it can be turned off. Amazon Music, Google Play Music, and Plex all offer the ability to do this, along with a few others too.
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

MikeMusic wrote:

We're looking to add support for more voice assistants and home integration and controllers in the future, Alexa is going to be our first partner, but we'd love to see them all available on Sonos one day.

@Sunnytur, I'll make sure that your name's on the list for interest in those features. With each release we add new features and fix issues as well. We can't fit them all in and the development team has been largely focused on a few projects right now. I don't have any plans I can let you in on regarding those two features you're looking for, but I'll pass the request along to the team.

I'd also like to see Google voice command support, as I am about to get one, super impressed with it, but I wish I could tell it to play stuff on my sonos!
Badge
ratty wrote:

mcginnis88 wrote:

Shared folders should continue to be accessible. It's just the desktop controller which will no longer run.

What is the desktop controller that no longer runs?
Dewdman42 wrote:

ratty wrote:

mcginnis88 wrote:

What is the desktop controller that no longer runs?

The Sonos PC desktop controller on XP/Vista, as noted in the announcement.
Badge
Looking at the release notes for 7.3, I see the following:

Play, pause, and skip songs with touch control. No app required.

What does that mean exactly? Is that something new?

not meaning to sounds like sour grapes, but I hope a soon update will include a few more IR remote commands available for programming my harmony remote to start/stop/skip at the very least. maybe also the ability to turn on/off night mode, dialog mode...perhaps a lip sync adjuster control would be useful for some as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ryan S wrote:

chicks wrote:

Alexa?

As an engaged Sonos enthusiast, this is so frustrating to hear. The Sonos community (beyond just this forum) worries that Sonos is continuing to fall behind the competition and statements like these strengthen that assumption.

We're hoping for HomeKit/AirPlay 2 support, features like permanent room groups, direct Apple Music functionality, DTS/other codec support, but if you can't even tell us when this long-since-announced Alexa support will be out, I guess we should give up hope of seeing any of these requests in the next decade.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Dewdman42 wrote:

not meaning to sounds like sour grapes, but I hope a soon update will include a few more IR remote commands available for programming my harmony remote to start/stop/skip at the very least. maybe also the ability to turn on/off night mode, dialog mode...perhaps a lip sync adjuster control would be useful for some as well.

Those controls are from the touch surface on our newer players or using the buttons on the speakers for the older ones.

The only players with IR receivers are the PLAYBAR and the PLAYBASE, but that's only for volume controls. I'll pass on the request for some additional controls for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Dewdman42 wrote:

I think it refers specifically to the latest Play:5 with its touch controls. I can still NEVER get triple tap to go back a track on any other device I own - it either pauses or goes to the next track.
@Sonos, in the mail I got regarding the new release, it mentions "Build, tweak, save and share your playlists.". As Sonos still doesn't allow me to sort, search within or even backup my playlists, the last 'share' option intrigues me. Where is the option and what can it do?
Badge
sjw wrote:

Dewdman42 wrote:

I think it refers specifically to the latest Play:5 with its touch controls. I can still NEVER get triple tap to go back a track on any other device I own - it either pauses or goes to the next track.
@Sonos, in the mail I got regarding the new release, it mentions "Build, tweak, save and share your playlists.". As Sonos still doesn't allow me to sort, search within or even backup my playlists, the last 'share' option intrigues me. Where is the option and what can it do?

OIC. I don't have a play5 (yet), thinking about getting one though. My Play-1's have play/pause and volume. I didn't even know there are some triple click or other ways to do things.

I'm also very interested in the new playlist features
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I would sincerely like to see the ability to easily play historical podcasts from one of Sonos' partners or a new partner. I would also very much like the ability to play CBC Radio (Canada) podcasts of any kind restored. Echo/Alexa has a somewhat kludgy way of playing non-current podcasts. I hope at least that can find its way into a Sonos integration, although it is less than ideal.
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

The only players with IR receivers are the PLAYBAR and the PLAYBASE, but that's only for volume controls. I'll pass on the request for some additional controls for you.

THANK YOU! Yes I use Playbar with my TV, but in the living room its also part of my music listening "room". Being able to at least start/stop/skip, the same stuff that can be done with the buttons on the speakers, would be definitely very useful.

Also some of the tv prefs like turning on/off dialog mode, night mode, etc. I could see it being useful to be able to adjust the surround levels, sub levels, etc.. numerous things..
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Dewdman42 wrote:

....I didn't even know there are some triple click or other ways to do things.

A double tap of the Play/Pause button should take you to the next track and triple tap to the previous track.. Try it and let me know, :)
Badge
sjw wrote:

Dewdman42 wrote:

....I didn't even know there are some triple click or other ways to do things.

A double tap of the Play/Pause button should take you to the next track and triple tap to the previous track.. Try it and let me know, :)

Thanks for the tip! yes it works.
Are there any plans to add password protection to ensure that not everyone connected to my wifi has access to my sonos system? I've had parties with 30-50 people and it can be quite annoying as people continually switch songs or put the volume all the way up.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)