Sonos Version 7.2 Now Available

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
We’re excited to bring out the newest software for Sonos. Version 7.2 is now available for all Sonos controllers!

Sonos 7.2 brings support for the latest Sonos product, the PLAYBASE. Check out our thread here for more details about our latest in home theater.

Also included in 7.2 is the ability to stop pets or kids from pressing buttons on your Sonos devices, now available under Room Settings you can turn off your Sonos buttons or the capacitive touch on players.

To update the Sonos players go to Settings > Check for Updates on your system, or choose update from the dropdown menu.

System Requirements

Sonos 7.2 supports the following OS versions:
Android: Android 4.0 and higher (certain features need higher versions of Android)
iOS devices running iOS 8 and higher
macOS: 10.9 and higher
Windows®️: Windows 7 and higher

Troubleshooting:

If you encounter any trouble with your system following the update, please feel free to give us a call and a technician can assist. You can also make a new thread on the community or find one that’s similar to your trouble and we’ll help. Generally speaking, any issues immediately after an update are caused by interference or duplicate IP addresses, and rebooting your router, followed by your players is the best first step.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge
the note in the release is confusing. it says it disables the buttons on the player. it doesn't say it gives me the ability to turn off the buttons (to kid/pet-proof my system). will you update it so we can feel confident in implementing the update without having to search the community to see what it means?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
the note in the release is confusing. it says it disables the buttons on the player. it doesn't say it gives me the ability to turn off the buttons (to kid/pet-proof my system). will you update it so we can feel confident in implementing the update without having to search the community to see what it means?

Hi mcnicklm,

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into this.
Any way of controlling volume of all grouped speakers by pressing volume one one??? Without using the app???
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Any way of controlling volume of all grouped speakers by pressing volume one one??? Without using the app???

There isn't at this time. The volume buttons on a player function just to control that one room or bonded players. There are multiple questions situations to determine which behavior is best. For example, if you have 4 players grouped together, and you go to a room where you need to turn the volume down to have a conversation or take a call, you might not want to turn down all 4, but just the room you're in. On the other hand, if you have everything grouped and they all need to be turned down, you need the app. For now, we went with the one that seemed to be the most intuitive.

We'll pass on your interest in changes to the team.

It is configurable in the software. You can disable/enable the buttons individually by device.
From the release notes:
"Just go to Menu > Room Settings, choose the room your speaker’s located in and deactivate the Speaker Touch Controls"
All very clear, it seems to this non native English speaker:)
It becomes even more obvious when you see new the toggle box the first time.
I was using the Beta with iOS equipment and functionality (f.e. music services) was switched off. Can you confirm that with current release, all functionality is reinstated? Your press release is silent on this topic.
Would be good if you could lock the hardware volume controls independently of the play/pause.
Always the same, when Sonos comes with a new update, my PLAY5 (gen1) won't be updated in "2-3" minutes as the app says. Instead I give up after about 30-60 min, when the app just cirkling saying "Start" at the app. Annoying. :(
No troubles with my PlayBar, Sub, 2 x Play3 and 2 x Play1.
This morning the Sonos app asked me to update the software to the last version. At the end of the installation it returns me an error (no specific number) and now i don't see anymore the Playbar and the SUB but only the two Play 1 devices.

In my house I have 2 Play 1 (in two separate rooms), 1 Playbar, and 1 SUB (in living room).

I didn't change anything to the previous configuration (e.g. router or something else).

I Tried also to install them again but they are not detected anymore...what I have to do?

Please help me!
Every time there is a software update, these are a bunch of people like the ones here, that post with with problems in updating. For over a year now, with a stable system, I have had no issues with any updates, so this isn't a Sonos caused issue - except that every update exposes hidden weaknesses in the Sonosnet/WiFi set up.

There needs to be a sticky with the first level standard problem solving steps for these cases, that is referred to in every first announcement post, or what is described there in the troubleshooting section at the bottom, needs to be more elaborate than what it is just now.
Amen, Kumar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I was using the Beta with iOS equipment and functionality (f.e. music services) was switched off. Can you confirm that with current release, all functionality is reinstated? Your press release is silent on this topic.

Sonos public betas rarely ever (only once in the past) support iOS devices. Because of that, the iOS devices are always going to be a version back, which means limited functionality. We try to make that really clear during the signup process and announcements for beta. The regular releases fully support iOS devices, in this case, anything with iOS 8 or higher will have full control over Sonos.
Just updated my Sonos speakers (playbar-play1-play3) to 7.2 and now none of them can play radio stations but they can still play Spotify. How can I roll back to previous version?
How can I roll back to previous version?
It would help to read the announcements before jumping to such conclusions.
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/tunein-radio-unable-to-browse-or-play-on-sonos-032317-6768307
Badge
Both of my Docks have dropped off with the 7.2 update 😞
Badge
Both of my Docks have dropped off with the 7.2 update :(
I was able to get them back on by selecting the add new device and selecting a play one during the process. looks like a bug to me but the workaround is okay for me.
Badge
I was able to get them back on by selecting the add new device and selecting a play one during the process. looks like a bug to me but the workaround is okay for me.

Update, but they only stay online for a short while then drop off again 😞
[quote=Flob]
Update, but they only stay online for a short while then drop off again :(

Probably IP conflicts. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge

Update, but they only stay online for a short while then drop off again :(

All caused by messed up dhcp on the players on the network, it would seem that immediately after the update they do not pick up their reserved IP addresses and just clash with other devices on the network, had to walk around and restart every player and sonos device to fix the problem. Never had this problem in all the years I have had sonos.
If the devices aren't picking up their reserved IP addresses then there is a problem with your router's DHCP.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just a thought on the group volume control, is there a possibility a double tap on the volume buttonncould control the group volume and theusual tap for room control?
Userlevel 2
Badge

Just a thought on the group volume control, is there a possibility a double tap on the volume buttonncould control the group volume and theusual tap for room control?
Userlevel 1
After updating to 7.2 my controllers became unresponsive and slow, I am unable to group my speakers, whei I group them just the initial speaker continues to work. Also, I am having a lot of connect issues to the speakers, the controller keep saying that no speakers are avaiable on the network.