Sonos version 7.1 is now available

• 24 January 2017
  • 71 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

what 6.3 well designed software. That was full of its own flaws. The new version got rid of most of the flaws and created new ones in itself. Total flaws overall reduced. Of course, paying attention to the screens you were first shown would help.

I'm not doubting that many things have been improved. But the 6.4/7.0/7.1 design is deeply flawed. The interaction between playing music and affecting the queue is inconsistent. "Play" buttons don't behave the same from screen to screen, and they also don't take into account whether you're currently playing music. There's a debate to be had over whether the queue should be persistent (6.3) or ephemeral (6.4) by default, but it shouldn't be both. And good luck to anyone trying to defend inserting into a stopped queue (for default "play" action) as a desired use-case, rather than a stupid annoying bug... It's the little things...

Yes. As I said, it created new flaws. Let's get these fixed rather than continually going on about the previous, deeply flawed in its own right, versions. You find it annoying because you got used to the previous deeply annoying bugs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Just to add to my previous comments (just a few messages earlier).
I have learned a great deal from reading this community, much of it from some of the members that I don't necessarily agree with in this discussion (or sometimes in other discussions). For that, I am thankful.
However, I do not think it should be assumed--as is the case by some members of this community--that every time someone has a problem with Sonos equipment the blame automatically falls on them, or their network, or the alignment of the solar system at that given time. As the saying goes, "shit happens," and for all kinds of reasons.
Comments such as "You have network issues. The release was fully beta tested, and works perfectly" (which can be found above) are dismissive and imply that Sonos has a degree of perfection yet to be achieved elsewhere in the technology industry. I, for one, find that comment particularly absurd because I am certain (see my posts above) that there is a problem with 7.1. If I am proven wrong, I will gladly accept that proof. Of course, until then it has been said, about me, that "Methinks thou doth protest way too much."
However, to make statements that appear to immediately absolve Sonos of any blame seems supercilious. The overriding sentiment I often perceive here is that Sonos and what some might call Sonos "fanbois" are right (and righteous), and all others be damned. This does not include all members of this community, of course, but does in my opinion include a reasonably unhealthy number of participants.
Perhaps a more tolerant attitude would be helpful at times?
Userlevel 2
I was hoping it might have fixed the intermittent audio dropouts I'm experienceing with my two paired play 5s whilst connected to tv but unfortunately it hasn't.... I have this exact problem. Paired Play 5s, analog line-in. intermittent drop outs.
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Yes. As I said, it created new flaws. Let's get these fixed rather than continually going on about the previous, deeply flawed in its own right, versions. You find it annoying because you got used to the previous deeply annoying bugs.

I sort of agree with you here - Sonos have decided that the previous persistent-by-default queue design should be replaced by a clear-queue-when-finished approach. They just haven't got around to implementing this consistently (or at all) across all screens, and have left some really annoying bugs (inserting into stopped queues) unattended for over six months. This I also understand - there's always pressure to prioritise new features over fixing bugs, and shipping working software is really really hard. Whether any of us prefer persistent or ephemeral queues is irrelevant. The deal is that we accept whatever Sonos deliver in their infrequent updates, or we sell our systems and find an alternative.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I sort of agree with you here - Sonos have decided that the previous persistent-by-default queue design should be replaced by a clear-queue-when-finished approach. They just haven't got around to implementing this consistently (or at all) across all screens, and have left some really annoying bugs (inserting into stopped queues) unattended for over six months. This I also understand - there's always pressure to prioritise new features over fixing bugs, and shipping working software is really really hard. Whether any of us prefer persistent or ephemeral queues is irrelevant. The deal is that we accept whatever Sonos deliver in their infrequent updates, or we sell our systems and find an alternative.

What about third-party apps such as SonoPad? Do they allow different queue options, or must they also work with what Sonos decides? I don't use them, so I don't know the answer. But I know SonoPad still works with earlier versions of iOS that no longer function with official Sonos apps.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
What about third-party apps such as SonoPad? Do they allow different queue options, or must they also work with what Sonos decides? I don't use them, so I don't know the answer. But I know SonoPad still works with earlier versions of iOS that no longer function with official Sonos apps.

I remember Zonos having the same issues with play/queue interaction as the official controller apps. Sonopad had different design issues that annoyed me. Not checked ZonePlay in a while. Interestingly, with 7.1 the iOS and windows desktop apps seem to differ in how consistently they treat the queue when you "play now" on different screens (iOS often clears queue, desktop sometimes inserts, sometimes clears). That "queue-based music player that works on all your devices for all your sources" experience we enjoyed a year ago is still a little way off becoming a reality...
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I remember Zonos having the same issues with play/queue interaction as the official controller apps. Sonopad had different design issues that annoyed me. Not checked ZonePlay in a while. Interestingly, with 7.1 the iOS and windows desktop apps seem to differ in how consistently they treat the queue when you "play now" on different screens (iOS often clears queue, desktop sometimes inserts, sometimes clears). That "queue-based music player that works on all your devices for all your sources" experience we enjoyed a year ago is still a little way off becoming a reality...

I'll buy SonoPad tonight and report back tomorrow on how it handles queues. App info indicates In can be made to act like 6.3. However, I'm doing this mainly because it will allow me to ressurrect some old iOS devices as Sonos controllers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Skipping songs. When listening to podcasts, halfway through it will automatically skip sometimes to the next one, sometimes 3 down the list. This plus lack of audible support keeps me from buying more units or recommending Sonos to others.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Skipping songs.
Usually skipping songs is indicative of network issues..
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I agree. Fix what is wrong now. I don't see these as bugs as such but a realignment of function, which unfortunately is not what people want - generally. But wht do they want with the "new" methods? How would people like to see them work? New features over current? As there is less than a very small thing about what the new system does and where it could be improved then what is Sonos expexted to do? They can't read minds and no doubt they waste their time going through countless drivel about what was rather than what is and how to improve it.

Things change. It's the way of the world. That's the deal with everything you buy.
I updated the newest version. My modem basically crashed immediately after the download on my phone was complete. Had xfinity come and replace my 6 month old modem be it "wasn't working anymore". After some figuring out , once I disconnected the Ethernet cord from the play bar to the modem. My wifi came back on. Weird I know
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I'll buy SonoPad tonight and report back tomorrow on how it handles queues. App info indicates In can be made to act like 6.3. However, I'm doing this mainly because it will allow me to ressurrect some old iOS devices as Sonos controllers.

I installed SonoPad and it gives me the following queue options on my iPad. I played with it briefly last night and all these options seem to work for me. I won't turn this into a review of the app, except to say that it does have some interesting options for those who like to discover information about albums and artists as they listen to music.
With this update the room settings are unavaliable..How do I make my system into stereo?
With this update the room settings are unavaliable..How do I make my system into stereo?

There are two reasons why settings would be unavailable.

One, there is a mismatch between the controller software and the firmware on the Sonos players. Check on Settings->About My Sonos System to see if all are on the same version (7.1).

Two, your OS may be partially supported. In order to have the full settings menu, you need to be running the following:

Android: Android 4.0 and higher (certain features require higher versions of Android)
iOS: iOS 8 and higher (certain features need higher versions of iOS)
macOS: 10.9 and higher
Windows®️: Windows 7 and higher
I usually don't comment on any forums, but in this case I must. Your development team is missing the latest thing out there and if you don't hurry and get on board your systems will become a thing of the past. I am talking about Google Home. Your speakers and wireless attributes are fantastic, but there needs to be an easy interface with Google Home so that the music can be verbally commanded to your system. I have enjoyed your rugged systems for many years, throughout my home and pool area.
PLEASE DON'T GET LEFT BEHIND!!

"Just a guy who cares"
I usually don't comment on any forums, but in this case I must. Your development team is missing the latest thing out there and if you don't hurry and get on board your systems will become a thing of the past. I am talking about Google Home. Your speakers and wireless attributes are fantastic, but there needs to be an easy interface with Google Home so that the music can be verbally commanded to your system. I have enjoyed your rugged systems for many years, throughout my home and pool area.
PLEASE DON'T GET LEFT BEHIND!!

"Just a guy who cares"

http://bit.ly/2jgewCk
Userlevel 1
Badge
I stand by my earlier comments about this update. We continue to have problems since 7.1. I've restarted the entire freakin' house so many times I've lost count. Turned everything off. Everything back on. It works for a while okay but then sporadic issues that we NEVER HAD prior to this update. Just now, I tried to play music and 4 of the 9 rooms we have are just ... missing. I will have to contact support officially but if I could go back and NOT take this "upgrade" I would absolutely do it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh they all just reappeared .. randomly about 10 minutes later. This is wonderful.
How do I downgrade? Casting from Google Play Music is broken or removed in 7.1 it seems.
Sonos does not allow you to downgrade and there are folks here who will vigorously defend why it would not be practical for them to. I have always had a problem with that because I have a lot of other connected home products where the company does not support anything but the latest software/firmware version but still make older versions available to you with the understanding that they are unsupported. If you have a problem they make you update to the latest before they will help you but you are then free to downgrade back to a previous version if you want to (assuming the issue you were fixing was not version related). I don't know why Sonos can't follow that convention.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How do I downgrade? Casting from Google Play Music is broken or removed in 7.1 it seems.

It wasn't removed but there's an issue with that currently for some systems. We're working with Google on the issue right now. It's not directly related to the 7.1 update and could affect systems on several versions. Sorry for the trouble, but in the meantime you can use the Sonos software to play Google Play Music on Sonos.