Sonos Version 7.0 with Spotify Connect and Trueplay for Home Theater Now Available

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Exciting news everyone, Sonos version 7.0 is now available. Update now to enjoy Spotify Connect, Trueplay for Home Theater, and more.

Sonos version 7.0 delivers one of the longest running requests on our community, the ability to control Sonos directly from the Spotify app. Pick music, change the track, and control playback all from within Spotify, you’ll be using the Sonos app to change room grouping and adjust other Sonos settings. For more information on this process, take a look here.

To enable the new control functionality from within Spotify, we’ve added a new method of registering players directly to your email account. If you’re setting up Spotify Connect, you’ll need to complete the new registration (even if you’ve previously registered with us). Take a look here for more information.

Coming now to Sonos is the newest form of our Trueplay tuning technology. We’re bringing Trueplay tuning to Sonos Home Theater. Use your iPhone or iPad to precisely adjust each speaker to ensure your Sonos home theater sounds the best it can in your home. Trueplay tuning for home theater includes PLAYBAR, SUB, and surround (rear channel) speakers.

To get the update: Open your Sonos Controller app and select Update Now. Once you’ve updated your system, make sure to also update all your apps for iOS and Android via the App Store, Google Play, or Amazon App Store.

For a full list of everything that’s changed, including updates to supported operating systems, go to: Release Notes 7.0. Check out what’s new here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Anyone please? Apologies for typo in last message! Should have read settings.

If you 're missing settings on your controller it's likely not updated, incompatible, or your players aren't on the right version. Can you check that all players and controllers are showing that you're on Sonos version 7.1?

If your PC controller isn't seeing the settings, what version is it on? It might be in limited support.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Anyone please? Apologies for typo in last message! Should have read settings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Incidentally, no such serrring either via my PC Sonos controller.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Regarding the link given above about controlling Sonos from Spotify app I tried to follow the advice in the link, i.e; "Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android: Tap Settings > Control Sonos from Spotify and following the on-screen prompts." Problem is on my iPad Sonos app, settings, I don't see any "control Sonos from Spotify" option.
Advice please?
Badge
Hi,

At them moment two of my speakers (I have 9 play One's, Playbar and Sub) are connected via network cables and I think therefore using Sonos's own wireless network rather than my general house one. Am I right in assuming to send songs straight from Spotify to a Sonos speaker I need to disconnect the two cables and use them all on my house wifi ?

I assume the same will be needed when Sonos release the new app with Amazon Dot integration ?

Having signed up as a beta tester will there be any chance of getting the new app early ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You can use Spotify connect if your Sonos system is set up to connect to your wireless network and if it is set up with units connected via ethernet. You should be able to follow this guide to add Spotify connect without having to change your wiring.

Thanks all done :)

I guess I need to be patient and just wait for Sonos integration into Amazon DOT :)

Jerry
Hello
Love Sonos, especially the play and the Sub.

The Spotify integration is very welcome, can any one confirm the KPS from the Spotify app through Sonos ?
Does it still stream at the 320k ish ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

At them moment two of my speakers (I have 9 play One's, Playbar and Sub) are connected via network cables and I think therefore using Sonos's own wireless network rather than my general house one. Am I right in assuming to send songs straight from Spotify to a Sonos speaker I need to disconnect the two cables and use them all on my house wifi ?

I assume the same will be needed when Sonos release the new app with Amazon Dot integration ?

Having signed up as a beta tester will there be any chance of getting the new app early ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You can use Spotify connect if your Sonos system is set up to connect to your wireless network and if it is set up with units connected via ethernet. You should be able to follow this guide to add Spotify connect without having to change your wiring.
Badge
Hi,

Jerry
It is a nice feature I guess. Don't forget us AMP & CONNECT user, please
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi heer2351 and abdurbesik,

I've sent you both direct messages asking for some information.
I have submitted the diagnostic and my reference number is: 6962798.
Badge
I am having the same problem, resetting one of my speakers makes them visible again for some time. I have sent in diagnostics directly after both speakers dropped from Spotify: 6958533
Submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.
I was waiting for Spotify Connect for long time, it is really easiest way to manage Sonos from Spotify if you have not other music source. I have updated the latest version and it worked flawless for a few days. But since 31'st of Dec I could not play Spotify from Sonos environment via Sonos Controller or Spotify application with Android or PC application all the same result. Spotify application works with only local speakers not with Sonos system. Sonos application works with other online sources like Tunein Radio. I have tried to remove and add Spotify account again but it does not work. I am having message from Sonos application that "Spotify connection is lost". It is really annoying since there is no way to use Spotify with Sonos anymore...
The absence of Spotify Connect has been the sole reason for me not to buy a Sonos product. When I was looking to upgrade my current speakers a few days ago I noticed this update of the Sonos system, and decided to buy two Play:5's. Super happy with them, and Spotify Connect works like a charm!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Stuart W wrote
"A very disappointing release for anyone who doesn't use Spotify. I was expecting something, anything for the rest of us. Oh well. Here's to version 8".

Hi Stuart, the Google Play Music app lets me cast directly from it to my Sonos Play 5's using my Android tablets and phones.

I'm going to assume you didn't use the quote function properly because I did NOT say the above.
Page 3 wrote
"A very disappointing release for anyone who doesn't use Spotify. I was expecting something, anything for the rest of us. Oh well. Here's to version 8".

Hi Page 3, the Google Play Music app lets me cast directly from it to my Sonos Play 5's using my Android tablets and phones.
It seems that every time I listed to my Sonos using the Spotify app, my Sonos speakers disconnect within 3-5 songs. Anyone else having this problem? I have the latest Sonos and Spotify apps and I have very solid wifi.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I'm sorry, as cool as this may seem it is still complete #$%@! I still have to buy a premium account to listen to spotify on sonos??? Regardless of whose fault in the whose &^#@ is bigger contest between the two companies, the one thing for sure to come out of it is lack of speaker sales for sonos. At least from me and anyone who asks about my poorly made decision on buying sonos. Y can't you just play the F'ing music?? No one wants their hand forced. Bose, my truck, my wifes car, Sony, and my headphones all play spotify without this BS...

I'd say keep trying but I've owned my speakers for over 3 years...

Inarticulate and incomprehensible.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yeah, really #$%@ that Spotify actually wants to pay the artists that are listed in their catalog... If you don't want to pay for the music you are consuming, you are probably better off with a #$%@ Bose Bluetooth speaker.
I'm sorry, as cool as this may seem it is still complete #$%@! I still have to buy a premium account to listen to spotify on sonos??? Regardless of whose fault in the whose &^#@ is bigger contest between the two companies, the one thing for sure to come out of it is lack of speaker sales for sonos. At least from me and anyone who asks about my poorly made decision on buying sonos. Y can't you just play the F'ing music?? No one wants their hand forced. Bose, my truck, my wifes car, Sony, and my headphones all play spotify without this BS...

I'd say keep trying but I've owned my speakers for over 3 years...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Wouldn't apple have to role out sonos support into it's iOS? never going to happen is general concensus....

Again, maybe Sonos staff can shed some light in view of the much heralded Sonos/Apple Music collaboration announcement about a year ago - or was that only for Apple Music integration into the Sonos app?
And other than Apple, are not other services going to get the kind of direct control from their native app as Spotify now has?

We're definitely looking to partner with more services with similar direct control implementation to what we just added with Spotify but we don't have any specifics that can be shared right now on who's next or what to expect. The announcement about Apple Music was about the integration that came out around the same time but there certainly may come a day when you get direct control from their app too.

The process of getting the app to play is a partnership, there's a lot of work on both sides of things that need to take place in order to make it all work smoothly. Though it took a Sonos update here to get Spotify Connect working, there was a lot of changes in the back end on both sides. Definitely not the sort of thing where one partner holds all the cards. Again, I can't confirm or deny anything. But stay tuned and we hope you enjoy what the future brings.

I'll pass along the suggestion to our team here for you guys.

Wouldn't apple have to role out sonos support into it's iOS? never going to happen is general concensus....

Again, maybe Sonos staff can shed some light in view of the much heralded Sonos/Apple Music collaboration announcement about a year ago - or was that only for Apple Music integration into the Sonos app?
And other than Apple, are not other services going to get the kind of direct control from their native app as Spotify now has?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So what does Apple say when you contacted them about it?

I'd say there is a better chance of Sonos staff shedding some light on this subject here.

Badge +1
We have Android and iOS based phones in our household. 1 have 4 x Play1, 2 x Play3 and a Playbar . It seemed to take a while for the SONOS systems and Spotify apps to "discover" each other initially after the SONOS firmware was upgraded to 7.0 but now it all works seamlessly. Especially good for my teenage son who uses Spotify all the time.

Thank you for the enhancement.