Sonos Version 7.0 with Spotify Connect and Trueplay for Home Theater Now Available

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Exciting news everyone, Sonos version 7.0 is now available. Update now to enjoy Spotify Connect, Trueplay for Home Theater, and more.

Sonos version 7.0 delivers one of the longest running requests on our community, the ability to control Sonos directly from the Spotify app. Pick music, change the track, and control playback all from within Spotify, you’ll be using the Sonos app to change room grouping and adjust other Sonos settings. For more information on this process, take a look here.

To enable the new control functionality from within Spotify, we’ve added a new method of registering players directly to your email account. If you’re setting up Spotify Connect, you’ll need to complete the new registration (even if you’ve previously registered with us). Take a look here for more information.

Coming now to Sonos is the newest form of our Trueplay tuning technology. We’re bringing Trueplay tuning to Sonos Home Theater. Use your iPhone or iPad to precisely adjust each speaker to ensure your Sonos home theater sounds the best it can in your home. Trueplay tuning for home theater includes PLAYBAR, SUB, and surround (rear channel) speakers.

To get the update: Open your Sonos Controller app and select Update Now. Once you’ve updated your system, make sure to also update all your apps for iOS and Android via the App Store, Google Play, or Amazon App Store.

For a full list of everything that’s changed, including updates to supported operating systems, go to: Release Notes 7.0. Check out what’s new here.

100 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Great news - thank you!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Great work! Spotify works flawless!
Am going round in circles - am trying to set up my new Play 3. I have already downloaded the new 7 App - but when I go to settings to start the process it asks me to update to 7 ... the which I have already done. Any ideas? Hay Ho. KtL
I'm not seeing my devices in the Spotify app after updating the Sonos app. Am I supposed to do anything after updating it?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Check at the bottom.
dabvid wrote:

Check at the bottom.

Hey Dabvid, yes I knew where to look, thanks though. It's working now. Interesting I had to go play a song from the Sonos app, and then it appeared in my Spotify app. I had opened/closed the apps multiple times to no avail. It didn't work until I played a song in the Sonos app.
retlaw7 wrote:

dabvid wrote:

Check at the bottom.

Hey David, yes I knew where to look, thanks though. It's working now. Interesting I had to go play a song from the Sonos app, and then it appeared in my Spotify app. I had opened/closed the apps multiple times to no avail. It didn't work until I played a song in the Sonos app.

I had the same issue. Playing from the Sonos app seemed to fix it for some reason, and now my speakers show up in the Spotify app.
For me playing a song on Sonos didn't fix it :(
Same issue here.. took awhile for Spotify to find Sonos speakers, but now it's working.
It would be cool if we could assign room within Spotify instead of having the app star Sonos controller
Rain_man wrote:

Same issue here.. took awhile for Spotify to find Sonos speakers, but now it's working.
It would be cool if we could assign room within Spotify instead of having the app star Sonos controller

Was my first thought when it worked. I went to post that, but I didn't want to be the first to complain haha.
I'm still eagerly awaiting the update that will allow Alexa to control my Sonos. I was hoping this update was it.
Here's a quick one. SO.. Sonos asked to reset/set a password. DOES this finally mean folks who are on our home Wi-fi will NOW be required to enter a password to hijack (I mean, uhhh "share") our Sonos system.

I wanted to test but was unable to find a device I previously didn't have on the system.

Thanks!

:) Happy Holidays!

Rob
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
MacBook, iPad and iPhone all working flawlessly. Great being able to listen to Your Daily Mix through Sonos.
Even though I followed all suggestions here, my Spotify app can't see the players. Any other way ideas?
AleCZ wrote:

Even though I followed all suggestions here, my Spotify app can't see the players. Any other way ideas?

Have you linked your products with your Sonos account, including the needed update of your account info? Sonos will not show up until you do the process in the following link:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4136/?_ga=1.218159004.421670647.1479219189
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
casadelrob wrote:

Here's a quick one. SO.. Sonos asked to reset/set a password. DOES this finally mean folks who are on our home Wi-fi will NOW be required to enter a password to hijack (I mean, uhhh "share") our Sonos system.

I wanted to test but was unable to find a device I previously didn't have on the system.

Thanks!

:) Happy Holidays!

Rob

No
I had the following issue after all updates. Sonos was showing in Spotify but was not accepting the connection.

Solution, I restart my os x device and was able to connect to sonos trough spotify.
Userlevel 2
Badge
A very disappointing release for anyone who doesn't use Spotify. I was expecting something, anything for the rest of us.

Oh well. Here's to version 8.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
page3 wrote:

A very disappointing release for anyone who doesn't use Spotify. I was expecting something, anything for the rest of us.

Oh well. Here's to version 8.

Trueplay for Playbar?
Badge +1
The TruePlay tuning for Home theater sounds great. I was in the Sonos 7.0 public beta, but didn't see it since the iOS controllers were not included.

What will trueplay optimize for in a 5.1 setting? Music or Movies or both? I ask, because we have a long 45ft combined living area (TV/sitting + dining + kitchen). The playbar and sub is on one end under the tv. The rear surrounds (play:1) are midway. When listening to music, they are on 'full' and fill the remainder of the room (dining + kitchen) with music.

When I trueplay this, should I walk around the whole room? Or just the tv area? This is another way of asking whether trueplay optimizes a 5.1 setup for music or movies or both.

Thanks,
Apurva
And there it is. Who had under 20 posts in the pool?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
It worked perfectly playing through the Spotify app at start. Now after first playing through the Sonos app, then letting my iOS device sleep for a while it does not.
When I choose my speaker it tries to connect but without success, after a lot of retries the music started playing even though it still showed connecting at the same time, when in this "half connected" mode volume controls did not work. I did complete restart Spotify but without luck. I have a perfect internet connection at home.
Happy to help you reproduce.
Sonos is showing in my spotify app but it wont connect. Help anyone?
Temporary outage. Probably being a little overloaded right now:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/spotify-direct-control-outage-6762124
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
apurva1618 wrote:

The TruePlay tuning for Home theater sounds great. I was in the Sonos 7.0 public beta, but didn't see it since the iOS controllers were not included.

What will trueplay optimize for in a 5.1 setting? Music or Movies or both? I ask, because we have a long 45ft combined living area (TV/sitting + dining + kitchen). The playbar and sub is on one end under the tv. The rear surrounds (play:1) are midway. When listening to music, they are on 'full' and fill the remainder of the room (dining + kitchen) with music.

When I trueplay this, should I walk around the whole room? Or just the tv area? This is another way of asking whether trueplay optimizes a 5.1 setup for music or movies or both.

Thanks,
Apurva

The app walks you through the process with explanation and a video. I can't really answer whether it's biased towards Theatre rather than Music but I'd say try it. There's nothing to lose as you can switch it off if you don't like it.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)