Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

I've been messing around with my system and it is working at the moment.

I've no idea which of the following made it work though:
1. I made my email address the same on both spotify and sonos.
2. I added the master spotify family account to my sonos preferences (but still kept the sonos specific account as default)
3. I updated the sonos controller on one of my old macs - it couldn't even see the sonos devices until i did 4
4. I pulled the power on my airport extreme and restarted it
5. The updated sonos controller could now see the sonos devices
6. Went back to spotify on my macbook and the sonos devices were there to use, successfully playing music now

I'm gonna leave it and see how long it works for rather than back out any of these changes...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Any beta updates?
Any beta updates?

Not sure what you are seeking . . .
Userlevel 3
Badge
I am not a Spotify subscriber, so no point in the beta for me. But for those that have signed up, anyone looked at this 'under the hood'? Did Sonos implement Spotify's Spotify Connect protocol? Or did they implement their own API and make Spotify add that to their app?

I saw comments earlier in this thread that remote control of Sonos via Spotify does not work when off the local network, and this is different than how Spotify Connect works. Thus, I'm thinking they rolled their own API. Once you register a hardware playback device to your Spotify account, it is able to remotely control it since they route the control through Spotify's servers. This way, Spotify Connect works for people using a mobile with Wi-Fi turned off, which a lot of people still do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I am not a Spotify subscriber, so no point in the beta for me. But for those that have signed up, anyone looked at this 'under the hood'? Did Sonos implement Spotify's Spotify Connect protocol? Or did they implement their own API and make Spotify add that to their app?

I saw comments earlier in this thread that remote control of Sonos via Spotify does not work when off the local network, and this is different than how Spotify Connect works. Thus, I'm thinking they rolled their own API. Once you register a hardware playback device to your Spotify account, it is able to remotely control it since they route the control through Spotify's servers. This way, Spotify Connect works for people using a mobile with Wi-Fi turned off, which a lot of people still do.

I have no idea the technical details but can confirm that, although it uses Spotify Connect on the Spotify side, it does seem to work a but differently.
No Spotify upgrade was required so I dont think Spotify changed anything on the client end. My feeling is that, once enabled by Sonos, all your sonos devices are somehow published via Sonos servers to show up as Spotify Connect devices rather than the device being directly linked through Spotify like other 'connect enabled' devices. I suspect that if the sonos servers went down then it would all stop working. I was hoping this would actually not be the case so would avoid issues like those that occurred during the holiday period last year.
This also explains the greater lag that exists than 'regular' spotify connect devices - particularly when starting music when it can show 'connecting' for quite a while. Also why you cannot 'see' these devices once you are no longer in wifi range. The currently active device will show up but once it stops playing it will disappear.

The reasons for doing this are probably related to still supporting multiple Spotify streams on Sonos - one via Spotify Connect and as many more as you like via Spotify on Sonos. If they are all routed through Sonos then it can still support multiple streams rather than 'regular' Spotify Connect which has (in the past) stopped all music on Sonos when played to a (non-Sonos) compatible device.
The email sent around announcing the v7.0 Public Beta mentioned a new improved EQ for the Playbar, so I signed up and downloaded the app and updated my devices. I don't quite know if I am imagining it or not, but to me the sound is really "top heavy". Speech sounds sibilant (over-emphasized 'S' and 'T's) and music sounds quite hissy. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if anyone actually prefers the new sound? I have reverted back to the latest release version now, and I think I prefer it (It could all be in my head!). I suppose I'm worried that when v7 is released I won't be able to opt out of the eq part if I still don't like it.
The email sent around announcing the v7.0 Public Beta mentioned a new improved EQ for the Playbar, so I signed up and downloaded the app and updated my devices. I don't quite know if I am imagining it or not, but to me the sound is really "top heavy". Speech sounds sibilant (over-emphasized 'S' and 'T's) and music sounds quite hissy. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if anyone actually prefers the new sound? I have reverted back to the latest release version now, and I think I prefer it (It could all be in my head!). I suppose I'm worried that when v7 is released I won't be able to opt out of the eq part if I still don't like it.

Can't say I've noticed this. Make sure you report it in beta feedback, though. This is exactly the type of input they want to hear.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
The last incident update in my information exchange regarding being unable to connect to Sonos through Spotify since the beta went public was Sonos confirming there were lots affected. Since I didn't respond to that my incident has just been closed.
May I make a request here for a very simple feature to be added? If not, please point me to the appropriate discussion forum.

In the alarm settings dialog box, I'd like to see a new checkbox, default checked (i.e., opt out), labelled "Default to Sonos Chime when feed not available."

When I have an alarm set to play a quiet stream, having the loud Sonos Chime playing whenever the feed isn't available is quite startling.
Badge
The wife and I use spotify all the time, I just downloaded 7.0 for myself, I will do it for my wife tomorrow, I am excited to take this for a test drive tomorrow.

will my wife have issues downloading 7.0 since Ive already downloaded it.

also will you be able to group within the spotify app? or is that going to stay with Sonos App?
Badge
So wife and I are on 7.0 but when she looks up available device all our Amazon stuff pops up 3 dots and 1 echo.

When I look I only get my sonos speakers. We each different Spotify premium accounts everything else is the same.

Should I submit diagnostics?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So wife and I are on 7.0 but when she looks up available device all our Amazon stuff pops up 3 dots and 1 echo.

When I look I only get my sonos speakers. We each different Spotify premium accounts everything else is the same.

Should I submit diagnostics?

You can go ahead and submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and we'll take a look here. In general, since this is beta you're best off following the link here and submitting beta feedback too.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Any update when this is going to wide, non-beta release? Looking forward to using my Spotify app on my iOS device!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Any update when this is going to wide, non-beta release? Looking forward to using my Spotify app on my iOS device!

We'll know when it's released.
Unbelievable... Sonos gives Spotify users what they have asked for past few years in direct playing from Spotify. And what does Sonos get .... complaint you can't group in the Spotify app. You can't make people happy

Im not complaining. I wrote a big thank you 2nd post down ;-)

Why Spotify-- would be nice to have better services connected- agree very limited bonus or benefit and seems tailored to just a specific group- why not make it work with all
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because the sonos software has to be intergrated into the native app. Spotify was first to volunteer. There is no reason others can not as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

We'll know when it's released.

Soon. But that's the best I can say right now.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Before Christmas would be great!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sonos Support :
Can this functionality be integrated into BBC iPlayer Radio next please ?
If I understand correctly , that would address the huge gap in Sonos for BBC "listen again" playback , and make many many UK Sonos customers very happy.

Since the functionality must be jointly developed to be inserted into the third party app, and Sonos has publicly stated they are open to working any and all services, your questions would best be presented to the BBC, not Sonos.

Hope the talented developer Marco Arment behind the podcast player Overcast sees this. Amazing news and gives me hope that someday Overcast could get Sonos support. Or Apple them self to integrate it system wide for iOS, bold hope 🙂
I am glad 7 is out. Holding breath for the next beta release.... "Alexa For Christmas I want to control my music from my Echos."
I am glad 7 is out. Holding breath for the next beta release.... "Alexa For Christmas I want to control my music from my Echos."

Alexa integration was announced for general release in 2017, so a Christmas 2016 release would be asking for a miracle. 😉
Especially as it hasn't yet been in a beta release.

I'll be sad again when it is, actually. Being a iOS controller app user does have its restrictions.

But I'm delighted that they're working on it as we speak.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Being Sonos typical beta cycles are at least 3 months normally I wouldn't expect general release of echo support until at least February.
Still no support for Apple Airplay? What year is it?! #SonosDarkAges #SonosRealityDistortion
Sonos considers AirPlay to be outdated, unreliable technology because it requires you to stream through the phone itself. Instead, it uses technology which streams from the source directly to the player. You will not see Sonos ever support AirPlay, especially with Apple discontinuing its AirPlay devices.