Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Userlevel 2
I had same issue as above, then after an hour or so and not having anything playing, the music started up. Odd, but it's working perfect now.
Same here, after a couple of hours now it works, no more "Connecting..." Nothing special done.
Badge
I've submitted a bug report but thought I'd post here as well in case others have (or have had) this issue. On MacOS Sierra, I can connect to individual speakers, but can't figure out how to group them. If there are supposed to be 3 dots (i.e. an overflow menu) similar to the Android screenshot posted earlier, then I'm not seeing them. See screenshot.
Lots of posts already, so pardon me if I have missed this information. I don't have Spotify, so I will not be doing the beta thing, but I have two questions:
1. Does this do anything to change playlist management in response to the furore on the subject a little while ago?
2. Is the basic architecture change now in place to quickly roll out use of Apple Music from the native app?
Badge
All working for me now too. Nice work fellas! This feature is AWWWWEEEESEOME!
Badge
Anyone else experiencing double-events registering for track selection / track skips? ie:
* selecting a track starts it twice
* skipping a track skips 2 tracks
Userlevel 1
Badge
Anyone else experiencing double-events registering for track selection / track skips? ie:

Nope. Not me...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This is BETA software. You will expect some issues. In order to ensure a timely stable release please REPORT using the methods detailed in the Beta mail that you received.
Badge

This is BETA software. You will expect some issues. In order to ensure a timely stable release please REPORT using the methods detailed in the Beta mail that you received.

Totally intended to, just wanted to see if it was restricted to my system before i did.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
As a no-longer-Spotify-user I am still pleased to see this update, and hopefully other providers can leverage the same framework/API to bring controls to their apps

Could one of the current beta testers comment about the need for a password now ... does this bring the much requested lock-out feature that would stop people with the Sonos app linking to your system and hijacking what is being played? Or is this password only required from Spotify app, so other Sonos app users can still create havoc?
Hi
I have installed the beta update and confirmed my email with Sonos, but I still can't see how I can control Sonos using Spotify. Is there a guide? I'm using Android Nougat. Best regards Lars

Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs.

If you’re using an iOS device, it will still be able to control your system but the device will have limited functionality. More details about what that means can be found here.

This version is a big step for Sonos and is adding a long-time community request, Spotify Direct Control. With this update, you’ll be able to tell Sonos what to play right from within your Spotify app (with Spotify Premium accounts). Direct control will let you pick what’s playing, change the music, and have some basic play controls, but you’ll still need the Sonos app for grouping rooms and some other Sonos functions.

To try out the beta for Sonos version 7.0 you can login to your account page on the website here.

With Sonos version 7.0 you’ll also be able to securely register your Sonos players to your own email address. This is a necessary step for using Spotify Direct Control on Sonos, and it adds a layer of security to your players too.

After you update, if you have Spotify as a service on Sonos, you’ll see a screen asking to confirm the email address that your account is registered to, using the password it’s set-up with on Sonos.com. If you don’t have access to that email anymore, or it looks wrong, you’ll be able to adjust it as well. If you encounter any trouble with this, please feel free to give us a call and a technician can assist.

Let us know how it goes, and thanks for helping test out the latest from Sonos. Please note that if you have any issues playing Spotify directly or any other issues that seem beta specific, you should direct that feedback to the beta team using the form here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Although I don't have the Beta yet, I'm guessing that the following applies - open the Spotify app and at the very bottom of the screen you should see, in very small text, Devices Available. This appears under the current track that's playing. Tap Devices Available, and you should see your Sonos system.
Thanks! I tried this, but Sonos was not one of the available devices
Did an update for the controller via my Sonos app for windows to 7.0, now my Play:1 shows as an device in Spotify, both for windows and android.

Awesome update guys!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks! I tried this, but Sonos was not one of the available devices

Can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back here with your confirmation number? I'll check to make sure the configuration is all right.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Ryan, it might be worth adding a couple of lines to your original post explaining how to enable Spotify functionality once the Sonos Beta has been downloaded. There are a lot of Spotify newbies out there 🙂
Same here, after a couple of hours now it works, no more "Connecting..." Nothing special done.

And it's back again... More "Connecting" Issues
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, it might be worth adding a couple of lines to your original post explaining how to enable Spotify functionality once the Sonos Beta has been downloaded. There are a lot of Spotify newbies out there :)

Good call, I'll update Max's post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Exactly the same here as yesterday. Simply can't connect. No response to feedback/diagnostics (but used to that).
You can look at the list of devices and watch them change, watch the 3 dots fade in and out for random devices and grouping be lost and reappear.
I'd like a comment on whether this is felt to be an issue with 'overload' as more and more users use it (what does actually pass through Sonos servers?) or something more fundamental.
Exactly the same here as yesterday. Simply can't connect. No response to feedback/diagnostics (but used to that).
You can look at the list of devices and watch them change, watch the 3 dots fade in and out for random devices and grouping be lost and reappear.
I'd like a comment on whether this is felt to be an issue with 'overload' as more and more users use it (what does actually pass through Sonos servers?) or something more fundamental.

Sounds like you have network issues... Worked fine for me during the 30-day Spotify trial, just takes time to connect, like Chromecast usually does. Which is why I'll stick with the Sonos app, which is always instantaneous. That, plus Spotify has the worst app in existence, IMO...
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Worked perfectly for me during all other usage too. Until yesterday when all the users above had sudden network interference?
Given Sonos is fine and instantaneous, what do you think the network issue is connecting to the exact same system but by a different app? Except that, as I thought possible, maybe some sort of authentication happens and when it was opened up yesterday, a weak link in the chain somewhere can't cope (which is precisely the point of a public beta)?
Awesome! I'm only recently a Spotify premier user but this is great and definitely was a missing feature for me. I really want sonos to act a bit more like a chromecast were various apps can easily interface with it and this seems like a move in that directions. Great job.
I am using Mac os, sonos is not listed in the "devices" for the spotify desktop app. Has anyone encountered this issue on desktop, or how to fix??
Hey Guys! I solved the issue on iOS by a kind of "workaround", hence it did not work for me either at first.
When I started the Sonos App on my MacBook Air (OSX) I was again promoted to upgrade the Sonos system to v7.0. During that process Sonos asked me to log in to my Sonos account. Sonos then connected it with my Spotify account and the upgrade process concluded. When opening the Spotify app on OSX I could could choose the Sonos speakers to play the music. Thereafter I checked the iPhone 6S and there it was, I could as well select the Sonos speakers.
Hope it will work for you as well. Good luck!
I am using Mac os, sonos is not listed in the "devices" for the spotify desktop app. Has anyone encountered this issue on desktop, or how to fix??

See my new post below, hope it helps you as well!