Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Do I have to do anything special in order to get my sonos speakers to appear in the spotify app from an outside network? They showed up on my local network just fine but now that I'm at work I don't see this advertised functionality working.
Just as you need to be on your home network to use the Sonos app to control your speakers, I would imagine the same is required in order to control your Sonos speakers from Spotify's app. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't say that this will allow you to control your Sonos speakers from the Spotify app when you're off-network... though I'll admit that I'm not a Spotify user so I haven't seen anything first-hand as far as this feature goes.
Do I have to do anything special in order to get my sonos speakers to appear in the spotify app from an outside network? They showed up on my local network just fine but now that I'm at work I don't see this advertised functionality working.
Just as you need to be on your home network to use the Sonos app to control your speakers, I would imagine the same is required in order to control your Sonos speakers from Spotify's app. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't say that this will allow you to control your Sonos speakers from the Spotify app when you're off-network... though I'll admit that I'm not a Spotify user so I haven't seen anything first-hand as far as this feature goes.

"Control what’s playing at home remotely via the Internet – you can start a song up before you walk in the door. "

"Control what’s playing at home remotely via the Internet – you can start a song up before you walk in the door. "

Where is this quote from? I can't seem to locate it.

Where is this quote from? I can't seem to locate it.

It's in the email they sent me this morning notifying me of the beta release.

It's in the email they sent me this morning notifying me of the beta release.

Oh. I didn't get an email. Let's hope Sonos responds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
If you connect to a Sonos device you can then disconnect from wifi and still control the system. I'm not sure if you can connect without first connecting to the wifi network.
Badge
Woot woot! Thank so much fellas. This is a huge give and makes me a very happy sonos er. Definately think a few friends who have been holding back will change their mind now!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just adding Spotify control makes it a 6.5 update vs. a full version upgrade.

I don't think that's your decision to make mate (but kudos for having the balls to think you can dictate something like that to the manufacturer). I don't use spotify either but at least I can see that this is probably the biggest single change in functionality and philosophy Sonos have ever introduced. The negativity of some people in this place just jaw dropping. You don't even use spotify but you still have to get a dig in don't you?

I think you need to understand semantic versioning if you're going to chime in on a comment by a software developer. Major version updates are typically large section re-writes or massive changes. Minor version updates are where something like a Feature addition would live.

He wasn't being negative or trying to dictate to the manufacturer anything, he was simply asking "what else is in the update that deserves a Major version bump?". Don't be so quick to judge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Mine tends to say 'Devices available' and lists them all - I then click one and it says 'connecting....' for a short while and then back to list the 'available devices'.
Or I can select the 3 dots and group a room to another (switches to the Sonos app's 'Group' screen). When it reverts back to Spotify it shows the 'Room+1' but doesn't play and generally then ungroups and shows the rooms separately. Switching to the native Sonos app still shows the speakers grouped.
So I can see my Sonos devices... but it won't connect... "Spotify is not active on this device"

Help?

(Overloaded with people trying out the new version when they get home from work maybe?)
Badge
Mine tends to say 'Devices available' and lists them all - I then click one and it says 'connecting....' for a short while and then back to list the 'available devices'.
Or I can select the 3 dots and group a room to another (switches to the Sonos app's 'Group' screen). When it reverts back to Spotify it shows the 'Room+1' but doesn't play and generally then ungroups and shows the rooms separately. Switching to the native Sonos app still shows the speakers grouped.

Yep - finding the same thing on both android and mac.
Spotify is not able to connect to the Sonos device, says connecting, but after a while unable to do so.

Windows 10
Ordinary WiFi network.
Spotify version 1.0.41.375.g040056ca ( newest version )
Newest push update from Sonos.

I think you need to understand semantic versioning if you're going to chime in on a comment by a software developer. Major version updates are typically large section re-writes or massive changes. Minor version updates are where something like a Feature addition would live.

He wasn't being negative or trying to dictate to the manufacturer anything, he was simply asking "what else is in the update that deserves a Major version bump?". Don't be so quick to judge.

I didn't know one had to be a software developer to discuss this, but as a developer, I'll bite. Sonos has announced two major software goals in the future: Voice Control, and Direct Control from third party apps. This is the first release bringing one of those two major goals to fruition. Conceivably it require a complete rewrite of the underlying Sonos architecture, at minimum at require the creation of a new API to be used by outside apps. IMCHYSEBO (In my considerably humble yet software engineer based opinion), that could merit a X.0 release, especially when this functionality is coming off the heretofore never seen levels of PR surrounding the August press release. YCHYSEBO may vary.
I've been running the beta since earlier on today. Great t hat I can choose to either use the Sonos app or the Spotify one. Gives me the best of both worlds. Shame there isn't the support for IOS devices yet but my Android tablet is now much more useful as a Sonos controller via the Spotify app as I can see much more in the way of choices from Spotify and get the hardware to play what I want.

Excellent!

If you have a mac you can simply update the system and then use spotify connect to control your mac which controls your speakers! Simples! Your mac does not even need to be on.

Tom
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
For info jgatie, right the way through the beta it was version 6.5.
Spotify is not able to connect to the Sonos device, says connecting, but after a while unable to do so.

Windows 10
Ordinary WiFi network.

All beta issues should be entered via the Beta Feedback page. Listing them here is no guarantee they get to the engineers.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta
For info jgatie, right the way through the beta it was version 6.5.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about (and neither should you).
Userlevel 1
Badge

I didn't know one had to be a software developer to discuss this, but as a developer, I'll bite. Sonos has announced two major software goals in the future: Voice Control, and Direct Control from third party apps. This is the first release bringing one of those two major goals to fruition. Conceivably it require a complete rewrite of the underlying Sonos architecture, at minimum at require the creation of a new API to be used by outside apps. IMCHYSEBO (In my considerably humble yet software engineer based opinion), that could merit a X.0 release, especially when this functionality is coming off the heretofore never seen levels of PR surrounding the August press release. YCHYSEBO may vary.

All completely valid. @BCM made a simple comment asking what else was in there to merit the bump, and then the reply from @LHC sort of attacked him, but not fully understanding the comment. You don't have to be a dev to discuss, but it's ignorant to attack someone without fully understanding the context.

I agree with @BCM's question asking for the details (ie: release notes). He wasn't trying to "dictate something like that to the manufacturer", but rather looking for more to chew on.
Sonos controller on mac running the new beta is now down and cannot connect to its existing system...
Sonos controller on mac running the new beta is now down and cannot connect to its existing system...

All beta issues should be entered via the Beta Feedback page. Listing them here is no guarantee they get to the engineers.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would treat it as any controller unable to connect issue

try rebooting router and sonos units (preferable all wifi devices)

All completely valid. @BCM made a simple comment asking what else was in there to merit the bump, and then the reply from @LHC sort of attacked him, but not fully understanding the comment. You don't have to be a dev to discuss, but it's ignorant to attack someone without fully understanding the context.

I agree with @BCM's question asking for the details (ie: release notes). He wasn't trying to "dictate something like that to the manufacturer", but rather looking for more to chew on.

I think LHC's point, delivered in his usual gruff, curmudgeonly manner, is that regardless of the numbering of the release, that it is purely the decision of the company releasing it and as such it often defies logic. I for one believe this one is mainly marketing driven, which means a) You aren't going to get any details of what added functions justify numbering it as such and b) You aren't going to see anyone admit it was marketing driven. Best to cut bait.

Windows 10
Ordinary WiFi network.

Sane here

Windows 10
Ordinary WiFi network.

Sane here

Same here, all speakers are wired here so not a wireless problem

Windows 10
Ordinary WiFi network.

Sane here

Same here, all speakers are wired here so not a wireless problem

Same here. No connection from Spotify (Android) to Sonos speaker. Just says Connecting... with no result.
Sonos app working fine though.