Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 5617 replies
Sonos version 7.0 is now entering Public Beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs.

If you’re using an iOS device, it will still be able to control your system but the device will have limited functionality. More details about what that means can be found here.

This version is a big step for Sonos and is adding a long-time community request, Spotify Direct Control. With this update, you’ll be able to tell Sonos what to play right from within your Spotify app (with Spotify Premium accounts). Direct control will let you pick what’s playing, change the music, and have some basic play controls, but you’ll still need the Sonos app for grouping rooms and some other Sonos functions.

To try out the beta for Sonos version 7.0 you can login to your account page on the website here.

With Sonos version 7.0 you’ll also be able to securely register your Sonos players to your own email address. This is a necessary step for using Spotify Direct Control on Sonos, and it adds a layer of security to your players too.

After you update, if you have Spotify as a service on Sonos, you’ll see a screen asking to confirm the email address that your account is registered to, using the password it’s set-up with on Sonos.com. If you don’t have access to that email anymore, or it looks wrong, you’ll be able to adjust it as well. If you encounter any trouble with this, please feel free to give us a call and a technician can assist.

Once you're all up to date on version 7.0 on Sonos and you've got your Spotify configured, using the direct control feature is as easy as opening the Spotify app and selecting the green text at the bottom that says "Devices Available." Your Sonos players should show up there if everything's working right. If you have players grouped together, just select the room in charge of the group and it'll play to them all.

Let us know how it goes, and thanks for helping test out the latest from Sonos. Please note that if you have any issues playing Spotify directly or any other issues that seem beta specific, you should direct that feedback to the beta team using the form here.

150 replies

Is there any list of the other offerings in the upgrade? Just adding Spotify control makes it a 6.5 update vs. a full version upgrade. Would be interested in joining, but I don't use Spotify.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank You :D

BCM wrote:

Just adding Spotify control makes it a 6.5 update vs. a full version upgrade.

I don't think that's your decision to make mate (but kudos for having the balls to think you can dictate something like that to the manufacturer). I don't use spotify either but at least I can see that this is probably the biggest single change in functionality and philosophy Sonos have ever introduced. The negativity of some people in this place just jaw dropping. You don't even use spotify but you still have to get a dig in don't you?
Not a negative. I'm in the software industry and was just curious. Thanks for your ever illustrious input, though.
BCM wrote:

Not a negative. I'm in the software industry and was just curious. Thanks for your ever illustrious input, though.

Not a negative? This is a huge move for Sonos that can only increase the popularity to customers and benefit all of us, spotify users or not, and the only thing you can think to say is "Oi, you've numbered that wrong!", as if you have the authority to say anything like that! And you think MY input was of no use? Unbelievable...
Sorry, man. YOU see it as a negative. On the positive side, the question was, in my world, a feature like Spotify, which may very well be huge for many, doesn't seem like a big thing to me warranting the next number. That is why I questioned whether there was much more. I'd say go back and check their revision history for each number upgrade and you'll see why I was asking, but your knickers are obviously bunched up tighter than usual today so carry on by yourself.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Is it worth stating a warning about the devices and operating systems that will become partially supported controllers with 7.0, like XP, vista etc and that people have a limited time to opt back out during beta or they will be stuck with consequences of 7.0?
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
there is more to 7.0 than Spotify but I dont know what has or hasnt made this beta cut so suggest you just find out for yourself. Whats the worst that can happen ?!

You could always set yourself up with a Spotify trial account if you're interested.
Well, I for one think that the update is welcome, and, so far at least, is working like a dream. Fantastic!
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Yes major step for sonos since GPM control from android, how many years ago was that?
Can we have google home next please :D, as I have GPM subscription and google voice would be my next step.
Making and altering Playlists just got so, so much easier. Seamless. Loving it!
Badge
But why no direct grouping control within the Spotify app?

Only new feature now is that i can select a SONOS speaker from the Spotify app. And still the need for switching and using the SONOS controller to manage grouping. There's way more potential than just selecting a SONOS speaker...
BCM wrote:

Is there any list of the other offerings in the upgrade? Just adding Spotify control makes it a 6.5 update vs. a full version upgrade. Would be interested in joining, but I don't use Spotify.

I'm sure the entire underlying architecture has been restructured for this feature, creating a new API for Spotify and other third party apps. By any measure, that would merit at least a consideration that it is a major release. Besides, as was stated, there is no industry standard for release numbering. Apple seems to release an X.0 every 9 months, whereas Android has multiple X.Y.Z.456 releases. Horses for courses, and certainly not something to get one's knickers in a bunch over.
BCM wrote:

Sorry, man. YOU see it as a negative.

"There's nothing here for me!" That's practically the dictionary definition of a negative statement, my opinion doesn't come into it. Don't you need logic in software programming any more? Explains a lot I guess... anyway you guys enjoy yourself, as a non-spotify user there's not much point me continuing in this thread but I hope it provides everything people were looking for, have fun!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Unbelievable... Sonos gives Spotify users what they have asked for past few years in direct playing from Spotify. And what does Sonos get .... complaint you can't group in the Spotify app. You can't make people happy
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Awesome news! Remember though, iPhone, iPad, iPod functionality is very limited for Beta releases. If you only have these types of controllers, you won't be able to add music services, change various settings, etc. Terrific update, but think twice if you only have IOS devices controlling Sonos. Wait until the actual official software release comes out, which should be pretty soon if they're in Beta phase already.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Chris wrote:

Unbelievable... Sonos gives Spotify users what they have asked for past few years in direct playing from Spotify. And what does Sonos get .... complaint you can't group in the Spotify app. You can't make people happy

Im not complaining. I wrote a big thank you 2nd post down ;-)
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
bigbadrabbit wrote:

But why no direct grouping control within the Spotify app?

Only new feature now is that i can select a SONOS speaker from the Spotify app. And still the need for switching and using the SONOS controller to manage grouping. There's way more potential than just selecting a SONOS speaker...

On android app, go to the Spotify connect device list and click the three dots on the right side. This will take you directly to the sonos grouping screen. Make your group adjustments then go back again. Simples !

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
nick - sorry I wasn't referring to your post regarding grouping. I was referring to the rabbit guy.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
It was 6.5 and then became 7.0.
Sonos Support :
Can this functionality be integrated into BBC iPlayer Radio next please ?
If I understand correctly , that would address the huge gap in Sonos for BBC "listen again" playback , and make many many UK Sonos customers very happy.
ColinAllCars wrote:

Sonos Support :
If I understand correctly , that would address the huge gap in Sonos for BBC "listen again" playback , and make many many UK Sonos customers very happy.

Since the functionality must be jointly developed to be inserted into the third party app, and Sonos has publicly stated they are open to working any and all services, your questions would best be presented to the BBC, not Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
ColinAllCars wrote:

Sonos Support :

We'll pass along the interest to the team. We're excited to bring this new integration with Spotify and build on our partnership with them. We hope to do the same with other services in the future, but we can't share any specifics on which ones might come next. Thanks for asking!
Do I have to do anything special in order to get my sonos speakers to appear in the spotify app from an outside network? They showed up on my local network just fine but now that I'm at work I don't see this advertised functionality working.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've been running the beta since earlier on today. Great t hat I can choose to either use the Sonos app or the Spotify one. Gives me the best of both worlds. Shame there isn't the support for IOS devices yet but my Android tablet is now much more useful as a Sonos controller via the Spotify app as I can see much more in the way of choices from Spotify and get the hardware to play what I want.

Excellent!

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings