Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

it will Play Now (expected action would be that you would get Queue has been edited dialog)
No, because Play Now is non-destructive on the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Playlists work properly with Sonos new method. If I click on a song in playlists (with edited queue) I get the pop up dialog that is expected saying queue has been edited.

It is just folders and Song Search that appear to behave incorrectly. Folders I can live with as I'm only one uses. Song search - that is a big issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ratty - if you search for a song and accidentally click on it would you expect it to stop the current song playing and play it now? Has never been that way in the past. It is way to easy to click on a song on a mobile device.

I understand it will behave this way when not using queue. But when using queue the default in other views has been that if you click on song with edited queue you would get the pop up dialog not Play Now.
The default click/tap action is one thing (which may or may not need correcting in some contexts), but Play Now is non-destructive so, no, I certainly wouldn't expect an 'Are you sure?' every time. Since each Play Now would in itself constitute a queue modification such popups could easily infuriate a user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree ratty - Play now selected from context menu shouldn't give a pop-up.

It is the default action being play now when clicking a song that is the issue. The default action clicking a song when queue is in use should not be Play Now. In all other circumstances in controller (except folders and song search) is that clicking a song is Play From Here (which gives you a pop up are you sure as it clears the queue). The default action is incorrect in these circumstances. Folders issue has been acknowledged. Song search newly found.

2) same issue if search by Song - clicking on song does Play Now instead of Play All (interrupting music if using queue)

Can you elaborate the issue with this.

If I search a song and click it, it plays immediately, inserting itself into the queues current position. I believe this is how it should behave and makes perfect sense to me.

What do you think it should do?

gtrance,

Yes, I'm with you on this, I can't see an issue either, but I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding the point that Chris is raising here. I think it works how I would expect it to work too.

Simply everything selected by a user is treated as a 'playlist', even if that is just one song, or many songs ...and the chosen playlist will always replace an UNEDITED queue without any warning.

The user can load an entire playlist to the queue, even by selecting one track 'within' a playlist... It just starts playing from the selected track.

The only time the 'replace-warning-box' appears to the end-user, is if the existing queue has been EDITED by the user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ken - did you follow the steps I posted above and see no issue? So you have no issue if you search for a song and if you click on it that it does Play Now when it doesn't do that if you pick a song other places.
Just one point: the queue is always in use. 'Play from here' front-ends the manipulation of the queue with a somewhat different UI, that's all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ken, I'll explain it one last time and give up.

If you have an edited queue.

If you browse for a song in library or service or choose a song in a playlist... and you click on it you will get pop up that you have an edited queue. To play now you hit ... and chose play now.

If you search for a song with the search function and you click on the song it performs play now immediately and stops current song from playing.

As simple as that - complete opposite way of working by finding song in 2 different methods. The play now being default when searching song is incorrect.
But what else should the default action be? You're dealing with a single track in a list of search results, disembodied from the album of which it's a part. It would be illogical to 'Play from here' in that context. That's appropriate for selecting a track directly from the body of an album or playlist, which -- because it replaces the queue -- triggers the 'edited' popup as appropriate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So it should default to play now and if clicked stop your music. I think I'm a pretty expert user and playing music yesterday at least 3-4 times I accidentally did the horrible thing of clicking on a song and this what in as listening to stopped.

I give up.
Ken - did you follow the steps I posted above and see now issue? So you have no issue if you search for a song and if you click on it that it does Play Now when it doesn't do that if you pick a song other places.

Chris,

I'm not seeing this issue... Forget the folders issue just for one moment... Think of everything in simple terms as a playlist.

If you do a Sonos search and select a track from your songs tab it will treat it as a playlist (with just one song) and it will replace the UNEDITED queue with that song and begin playing it. It is meant to work that way.

If you do a Sonos search and select an album cover (play button on cover) it will replace your queue with the whole album and start playing its first track... The other tracks will play in order afterwards if you don't use the shuffle feature. It is meant to work that way.

If you do a Sonos search and select any album or playlist cover (not the play button on the cover) it will reveal the individual tracks on that album or playlist .. If you choose one track,it will replace your UNEDITED queue with the entire album or playlist and start playing the track you selected... The other tracks will play in order afterwards, if you don't use the shuffle feature. It is meant to work that way.

If you go to any playlist (even Sonos Favorites) or elsewhere the same thing happens. There is no difference.

The only occasion where it doesn't work in this way is the previously discussed folder issue... Which is under investigation by Sonos and probably for later release.

The only time the queue is not instantly replaced, is if the queue has been altered or edited in some way by you, the user.

Does that help make sense? Otherwise I'm not exactly sure what the problem is that you are seeing?

It is how I expect the Sonos search results etc to work, but I do appreciate there is a problem with folders and tracks within them not behaving like playlists, but that should be sorted in the near future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm done
So it should default to play now and if clicked stop your music.
Now there'd I agree. The action if tapped again is to insert again and play. Intuitively, since the icon is 'live' (at least on Android), a second tap should pause a playing track, not 'Play Now' all over again.
If you do a Sonos search and select a track from your songs tab it will treat it as a playlist (with just one song) and it will replace the UNEDITED queue with that song and begin playing it.
No it doesn't. Tapping or double-clicking on an item in 'songs' search results delivers a 'Play Now' action, for just that track.
since the icon is 'live' (at least on Android), a second tap should pause a playing track
Hmm. That no longer occurs in album or playlist views either, nor in the queue itself (a change from 6.3). Tapping in the queue doesn't pause/resume; it restarts that track from the beginning. This could confuse some folks.
If you do a Sonos search and select a track from your songs tab it will treat it as a playlist (with just one song) and it will replace the UNEDITED queue with that song and begin playing it.
No it doesn't. Tapping or double-clicking on an item in 'songs' search results delivers a 'Play Now' action, for just that track.

Which is the same as selecting a playlist (play button) with a single track in it... It was easier to describe it that way to Chris.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't need it described to me ... I know what it does.
Which is the same as selecting a playlist (play button) with a single track in it.
It isn't. The default action from songs search results executes a Play Now, inserting after the current track and playing the new track. Go and try it.

Ratty,

There was no such thing as the ’play now' feature in the initial version of the beta ... But tracks within the Sonos results did 'play now' (to use that term) as they were treated like everything else and that was as a playlist, albeit with just one track to load to the queue and begin playing.

The ’play now' feature came later (as requested firstly by MikeV and also by the stream of users here who signed up for the public beta) ... Initially though everything was treated in the same way as a playlist play button. Which can be called 'play now' if you prefer.

The only exception to this was the issue reported by Chris, who created links to folders from his library in Sonos favourites and discovered they were not working as they should be ... That turned out to be true and Sonos has accepted that and stated it should be corrected in a later version.
It doesn't. The default action executes a Play Now, inserting after the current track and playing the new track. Go and try it.

I'm not trying to argue the point Ratty, I am entirely accepting what you say, but was trying to keep it simple for Chris to follow... I didn't want to confuse him any more than he appears to be...yes it does insert the single track to an existing queue, you are right to point that out. I was over-simplifying things and it was a mistake on my part.

All I can say is the 'tap' actions from the results display is what I would expect to see ... It's certainly not the same or similar issue that was happening with folders, albeit Chris thinks it is the same or a very similar issue.

Personally I see the results list working as it was intended to work.
I am entirely accepting what you say, but was trying to keep it simple for Chris to follow... I didn't want to confuse him any more than he appears to be...
I'm not confused, and I don't think Chris is either. The confusion arose from your insistence that a track in song search results was treated as a single-track playlist, with a default action of replacing the queue.

Personally I see the results list working as it was intended to work.

Good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not confused
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
I was confused by Ken's repeated insistence that it works in a particular manner when it simply doesn't - and all along it was an 'over-simplification' for poor Chris's benefit.
The thread reads terribly now.
The thread reads terribly now.
The mods can clean up the assertion/correction exchanges if they see fit.