Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think it should say - Play Now (Song only)
to avoid confusion

better .... still very much dislike the dialog when click on song using queue "Queue has been edited" - with no play options just cancel out. Doesn't look like they have any intention on making this more usable. I just need to train myself I guess not to click on any songs anymore.

found bug in Folder view where clicking on song in folder view behaves as Play Now (Song Only). Hopefully they correct that bug. Another reason clicking on songs always bad for me. Big downgrade for me this version.
I think it should say - Play Now (Song only)
to avoid confusion

I don't think there is any confusion, as everything on that menu will now be affecting only the selected song.

I am very pleased with the change. it restores the facility to easily play a single track. I like the Queue Is Edited confirmation dialogue box as it reduces the risk of accidental interruption to the currently playing album.

BTW I am very impressed that Sonos made this change so late in the development cycle of this update. I would have bet that they would have pressed on regardless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! During this beta we heard a lot from you and we could tell that though the new design is well liked, an option to Play Now was missed. The team made some adjustments and as some of you have already noticed, the update from today introduced the “Play Now” option to insert your selection into the queue and play it now without replacing your current queue.

Please make sure to send in all your feedback on the latest version.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Well having tried the Play Now option recently added to the beta I have to admit I don't like that implementation because it injects the chosen song into the current queue and not the end.

For example I finish listening to music one day and resume the next. So I pick up my phone to add one song using "Play Now". It is doing a strange thing of adding the song right after the 1st song of what is currently in my queue. I honestly cannot understand how this makes sense. I want to start a new flow of music that I want to build one song at a time. Ok the default is that one tap adds an entire album/playlist and plays from there. I can't be so arrogant to think that because I loved the previous queuing that everyone or the majority did. But the complaints that persons like myself made was intended I think to have a suitable alternative. I was hoping that tapping the 3 dots and getting the Play Now option would just allow you to Play Now and the song would be added to the end of the queue.

I am trying to reorient myself to this new approach but I find it difficult because fundamentally it just doesn't seem to make sense.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
To be clearer I suggest the "Play Now" option add the song only and to the end of the queue. Play next already allows you to inject a song into a queue just after the song you are currently listening to. I think when many chose "Play Now" they don't necessarily want to return to the previous songs in queue but want to move forward. So it is storage to select it and find that it's in between the songs in the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Sorry , I think 'injecting' it into the queue and 'playing now' is exactly what people wanted and not added to the end of the queue. I see it as similar to how it is now - i.e. I'm happy with the queue but want to hear a song now and then carry on with the queue..
Burt - in the current release software, "Add to queue" and "Play Now" work well together. The former adds only that song to the end of the queue, while Play Now inserts the song in the queue and then continues. I hope the new software preserves this functionality.

Cheers, Peter.
Forget it - I'm confused. Play Next inserts in the queue but continues the current song. There is no insert in queue and play immediately option. I can't say I've ever wanted it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Peter Mc, assuming you're running the very latest beta, 'insert in queue and play immediately' is 'Play Now'.
No, just running the standard stuff (6.3). We're mainly an Apple household, so no beta for me. So I'm commenting based on the forum comments, not actually having seen the software. Always dangerous :)

Doesn't the current 'Play Now' insert at the end of the queue and play immediately? I don't think there is a one-touch way in 6.3 to 'insert in queue and play immediately'. One would have to 'Play Next' then skip to the next track.
To be clearer I suggest the "Play Now" option add the song only and to the end of the queue. Play next already allows you to inject a song into a queue just after the song you are currently listening to. I think when many chose "Play Now" they don't necessarily want to return to the previous songs in queue but want to move forward. So it is storage to select it and find that it's in between the songs in the queue.
That's effectively covered by "Replace Queue" isn't it?

It makes sense to me based upon what has been discussed previously about requirements for a party situation.

It takes a bit to get your head around, and I have gone off half-cocked about it already :)

Play ALL - the nuclear option ... ask for confirmation, junk anything currently playing, plus the queue, and start playing this album|playlist|artist|genre
Play NOW - interrupt the current track .. play this track, then continue on with the queue
Play NEXT - when the current track has completed, play this track(s), then continue on with the queue
ADD to END of queue - as it says
REPLACE Queue - the other nuclear option - the same effect as Play ALL, but as the implication is clear from the option name don't ask for confirmation, and this time it is also available for a single track, or a track selection if using the PC controller

The anomaly is Play NOW. If multiple tracks have been selected using the DCR, it junks the queue for some reason ... hopefully this is a temporary bug.

I think that the problem is that the UI is trying to be Sonos-minimalist, and has become a bit of a muddle of intentions. It would better if we could go to a configuration screen, and configure the behaviours which we wanted for Play All, Play Now, etc.

It would be clearer if the options where capitalised as above IMO.
ie Play ALL not Play all, etc
Badge
A feature that I really wish for christmas, is that the controller app could save two different TruePlay-settings, and to be able to switch between them when moving my Play: 1 to its secondary location.

When naming the room (unit) you can select 'Portable', so this would be a great help for me and my wife.
Alternatively, I miss the option to skip the Trueplay setup guide and video, cause I have to do it regularly.

Otherwise I love your system! And rest asured we will get our second Play:1, but the feature described above would still be a loved tool, cause then the feature could be used and still be able to have one connected to the router to get SonosNet permanently.
Pre 6.4, "Play Now" was "Add to end of queue and then play". I suppose the labels are now somewhat more consistent, but there's no longer a single command for "Add to end of queue and then play".

As for multiple selections in the DCR, it's "Play Selected", not "Play Selected Now". In the minimalist design language that one missing word is crucial. "Replace Queue" is being inferred.
As for multiple selections in the DCR, it's "Play Selected", not "Play Selected Now". In the minimalist design language that one missing word is crucial. "Replace Queue" is being inferred.
Thanks Ratty, I didn't notice that the menu option name had changed when additional tracks were added to the selection.

IMO it would be best if it was "Play Selected Now", and worked as I suggested. The Play UI is already becoming complex enough, and it doesn't seem helpful if the selection of multiple tracks, introduces its own behaviours. It would be simpler if they operated the same as single track selections.
A charitable explanation would be that "Play Selected" = "Replace Queue" is deliberate, given that "Play Selected Now" can be achieved by "Play Selected Next" plus a small wrist action and one double-click in the queue. On the other hand the inconsistency with the single-track menu could be an oversight.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
That's effectively covered by "Replace Queue" isn't it?

It makes sense to me based upon what has been discussed previously about requirements for a party situation.

It takes a bit to get your head around, and I have gone off half-cocked about it already :)

Play ALL - the nuclear option ... ask for confirmation, junk anything currently playing, plus the queue, and start playing this album|playlist|artist|genre
Play NOW - interrupt the current track .. play this track, then continue on with the queue
Play NEXT - when the current track has completed, play this track(s), then continue on with the queue
ADD to END of queue - as it says
REPLACE Queue - the other nuclear option - the same effect as Play ALL, but as the implication is clear from the option name don't ask for confirmation, and this time it is also available for a single track, or a track selection if using the PC controller

The anomaly is Play NOW. If multiple tracks have been selected using the DCR, it junks the queue for some reason ... hopefully this is a temporary bug.

I think that the problem is that the UI is trying to be Sonos-minimalist, and has become a bit of a muddle of intentions. It would better if we could go to a configuration screen, and configure the behaviours which we wanted for Play All, Play Now, etc.

It would be clearer if the options where capitalised as above IMO.
ie Play ALL not Play all, etc

With respect to your comment that what I want is effectively covered by "Replace Queue" - I will say...True. But I find that to be a bit unintuitive and I don't necessarily want to queue replaced. It might be that its just how I listen to music and the majority maybe happier. Though I think as with every Beta, Sonos will only get the true sense of its impact after full release. It may be just like universal search where many were up in arms but adjusted to it just fine. I personally loved it but others didn't.

Will just have to see how it all shakes out.
Badge
Just a thank you to sonos. When 6.3 went public many, including myself, stated how we missed the play now function. It was also said that it was unlikely Sonos would alter the release at such a late stage. Wrong! Well done Sonos for both listening AND reacting.
Just a thank you to sonos. When 6.3 went public many, including myself, stated how we missed the play now function. It was also said that it was unlikely Sonos would alter the release at such a late stage. Wrong! Well done Sonos for both listening AND reacting.

6.4. 6.3 is the current public release.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

So The LHC.....What are your thoughts about the return of the "Play Now" function and how it works together with all the recent queue changes?

So The LHC.....What are your thoughts about the return of the "Play Now" function and how it works together with all the recent queue changes?

It sounds better but I won't know until I try it. As I said a few pages back I don't participate in the beta programs.
BurtBushell,

I like the new beta and the fact Sonos have introduced the new added "Play Now" single-track menu option, shows they are indeed listening to their customers.

I believe some users wanted the feature to add the song to the end of the queue and begin playing, but it makes more sense to insert it into the queue after the current playing track IMHO, so I think they have got that right.

I also like the fact you can double-click and triple-click the hardware PLAY button on ANY speaker to play the 'next' and 'previous' tracks in the queue, but I would like to see the 'click speed' for those features adjusted, or become user-adjustable, as I find that I sometimes end up playing the next track or muting the sound, when I actually wanted it to play the previous song... The speed/timing of the button does not quite suit the speed of my rapid double/triple presses. It might be a case where I just need to have a bit more practice with this feature, but I see some others have commented on this issue too.

Overall I am very happy with the beta and cannot wait to see it go live for use with iOS controller devices.

I personally think v6.4 is a great improvement over v6.3.
The new Play Now function is not working well with an exhausted queue.

ie. The queue is populated, and has completed playing. It is expected that Play Now would add the track at the end of the queue, and play just that track.

What happens is that the item is inserted into position #2. It plays, and then all queued items, from position 3 forwards, are replayed.

ie. The queue is populated, and has completed playing. It is expected that Play Now would add the track at the end of the queue, and play just that track.

What happens is that the item is inserted into position #2. It plays, and then all queued items, from position 3 forwards, are replayed.

I think at the end of playing the queue, the 'focus' jumps to track position -1 and the queue is then ready to play again. So when 'PLAY NOW' is chosen, it inserts the new track at position -2 and begins playing.

This might just be down to end-user expectations? It is a good point though for further discussion.

Hmm. Messy.

It could be addressed by varying the action based on play state: appending to the queue if STOPPED, else inserting after the currently PLAYING or PAUSED_PLAYBACK track. But the fine distinction between STOPPED and PAUSED_PLAYBACK might confuse many a user.
It could be addressed by varying the action based on play state: appending to the queue if STOPPED, else inserting after the currently PLAYING or PAUSED_PLAYBACK track. But the fine distinction between STOPPED and PAUSED_PLAYBACK might confuse many a user.

It's probably not a 'show stopper', but it shows that releasing the Sonos software in beta format to the wider public, is very useful to highlight these type of matters before the full release, but I'm sure that some such issues are forced to be left in situ because of deadline dates imposed by management.

I guess a line has to be drawn in the sand at some point and some issues like this might then get rolled over to v6.5 or later.

I don't think I would be too disappointed in its current form.